Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814266 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #855 on: May 12, 2018, 02:52:18 PM »
Bugger,

I do vaguely remember seeing the original a long time ago, I will have to try and find a copy so that I can see it again.

This link may add to your motivation to do so.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 11:31:05 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 13, 2018, 04:54:39 AM »

There are two obvious inclusions:
  • Pen (Hobbit), because she always expresses appreciation of the referred Aussie humour we send her way and even our attempts at Aussie humour

Sorry Jack & Les I meant to respond to this the other day & it went totally out of my head.  Proves yet again I have the attention span of a goldfish :laugh:
I'm very chuffed to be an "Honorary Australian".  Perhaps that should be honoured to be an "Honorary Australian" :)
Pen
[/list]
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 13, 2018, 05:01:22 AM »

Pen, i'll see your Johnners & raise you a skull (aka - Kerry O'keefe).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y3AXzZqg2k

Bloody excellent Les.  Made me laugh out loud - hilarious!
I'll have to stick for the moment until I can come up with something to top that!
Keep well & happy
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 13, 2018, 05:39:57 AM »

Moving away from Benny to someone you probably know well.  I think that
  Les from up north is funny

Hooroo

Watcha Jack
I enjoyed Les very much :laugh: Parky was a great interviewer.
Including a little snippet of Cissy & Ada
More Les
Our small country has produced some amazing & diverse comedians.
I've included a clip of Peter Kay.  Don't know how well he'll travel but he is very funny.
Peter Kay

Misheard Song Lyrics

Tara a bit
Pen

Les303

« Reply #859 on: May 13, 2018, 06:35:28 PM »
Pen, I must apologise because when you first mentioned Peter Kay , I immediately thought of a film that I watched as a young boy, it was called " The Court Jester " & starred a very talented American actor ( it's about time that the yanks got a mention in this thread ) whose name was actually Danny Kaye.

Having viewed your clips of Peter Kay ( I particularly liked the misheard song lyrics & appreciated the title of your first clip ) I realised that he was obviously not the person that I was thinking of so i was actually in the process of asking Mike & or Jack to help me out when out of the blue it suddenly dawned on me that the person that i was thinking of was actually named Danny Kaye. (if there had been a couple of scantily clad women involved, then i'm sure that i would have recalled that much quicker)

So anyway, i go to google to try and find a clip from that movie but stumbled across this link that i feel might be appreciated by many on this site. ( particularly today )
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:42:20 PM by Les303 »

Les303

« Reply #860 on: May 13, 2018, 06:37:49 PM »

Les303

« Reply #861 on: May 13, 2018, 06:39:47 PM »
Happy mothers day to all the mums out there!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 13, 2018, 09:24:58 PM »
I'm very chuffed to be an "Honorary Australian".  

Pen, now that you are an "Honorary Australian", Les and I will have to take on the responsibility of making sure you have an adequate appreciation of Australiana.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Australiana is a term denoting items, people, places, flora, fauna and events of Australian origins. Anything pertaining to Australian culture, society, geography and ecology can fall under the term Australiana, especially if it is endemic to Australia

I will get the ball rolling by introducing you to the song that, in my opinion, should have become our National Anthem and to the work of two outstanding Australians.  I expect you have probably seen some of these before.

The song that was beaten into third Place in the search for a National Anthem.

The Seekers - I Am Australian

Slim Dusty

He’s known universally as Australia’s King of Country, and it’s a title to which Slim Dusty can still lay an unchallenged claim, close to a decade after he passed away and took up his place at the head of the table in Country Music Heaven.
Slim has been the face of Australian country music for its entire history – close to 70 years, since its early roots in hillbilly and folk music. In that time, he evolved with the industry – setting the agenda and changing with the times.

Jack Thompson

Apart from his many acting achievements, Thompson was the first centrefold in Cleo and lived for a while in a ménage a trois with his wife Leona King, by whom he has a son, and her sister Bunkie. Though the living arrangement came to an end after several years, Thompson has no regrets, saying "I wouldn't have missed it for quids." He was awarded Member of the Order of Australia in the 1986 Queen's Birthday Honours List for his services to the film industry.

I gotta be goin', Pen, I need some shut-eye.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:28:42 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #863 on: May 13, 2018, 09:35:38 PM »
I'd love to have a beer with Jack ( and quite a few others on this forum ) because they are all me mates.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:45:40 PM by Les303 »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 13, 2018, 10:17:10 PM »
I'd love to have a beer with Jack ( and quite a few others on this forum ) because they are all me mates.

I’ll drink to that, Les, and we would never ever get rollin’ drunk, would we?  >:D
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #865 on: May 13, 2018, 11:08:48 PM »
Jack & Les are sitting in a bar when Jack says, “Ya know, when I was thirty and got an ere_ction, I couldn’t bend it, even using both hands.
By the time I was fifty, I could bend it about ten degrees if I tried really hard.
By the time I was sixty, I could bend it about forty five degrees, no problem.
I’m gonna be seventy six next week, and now I can bend it in half with just one hand.”
“So,” says Les, “what’s your point?”
“Well, I’m just wondering how much stronger I’m gonna get.”

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: May 14, 2018, 04:33:34 AM »

I will get the ball rolling by introducing you to the song that, in my opinion, should have become our National Anthem and to the work of two outstanding Australians.  I expect you have probably seen some of these before.

The Seekers - I Am Australian

Apart from his many acting achievements, Thompson was the first centrefold in Cleo and lived for a while in a ménage a trois with his wife Leona King, by whom he has a son, and her sister Bunkie. Though the living arrangement came to an end after several years, Thompson has no regrets, saying "I wouldn't have missed it for quids." He was awarded Member of the Order of Australia in the 1986 Queen's Birthday Honours List for his services to the

G'day Jack
Hope you are chipper today.
I very much liked The Seekers song.  The words & music.  It would certainly make a great national anthem.
I must own up to not being a big fan of country music.  I liked G'day G'day & I'd Like To Have A Beer With Duncan (was that for Les' benefit? >:D)
I found The Man From Snowy River a bit long & I bailed out after about 3 minutes.  Sorry!
Jack Thompson sounded a proper character!  I very much enjoyed the first clip.  The other 2 clips said "sorry not available" :(
I remember The Seekers from when I was a youngster.  There was also a group call The New Seekers.  I must google them & see if there's any relation.
I would love to join you & Les for a drink.  Mine's a nice chilled glass of wine :)
Catch you soon
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 14, 2018, 04:38:58 AM »

Having viewed your clips of Peter Kay ( I particularly liked the misheard song lyrics & appreciated the title of your first clip ) I realised that he was obviously not the person that I was thinking of so i was actually in the process of asking Mike & or Jack to help me out when out of the blue it suddenly dawned on me that the person that i was thinking of was actually named Danny Kaye. (if there had been a couple of scantily clad women involved, then i'm sure that i would have recalled that much quicker)

G'day Les.
Firstly I must apologise for not providing you with any scantily clad ladies >:D  I will endeavour to find some for you next time!
I can only imagine what Peter Kay would say at being mixed up with Danny Kaye!!
Pen

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: May 14, 2018, 12:40:13 PM »
Ozzyjack, I remember the movie The Man from Snowy River - particularly the plunge down the steep hill.  But I'd never read the poem, so thanks for that and all the others, and even more, because I googled one of them and found a site that gave me a whole bunch of the author's poems.

When my younger brother was born, my grandfather would rock him and sing to him, which is how I learned all the words to Waltzing Matilda - and no doubt amazed all the group with whom I was riding in a van when I was able to sing the whole song.  They were probably even more amazed that I dared to sing at all, given my voice, possibly a justifiable cause for throwing me out of the van. 

I always thought the Australians were great for having that for an unofficial national anthem instead of a stuffy pompous jingoistic song like the rest of us.  I'm sorry they joined the crowd - I agree that I Am Australian would have been much better.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: May 14, 2018, 03:16:22 PM »
I very much liked The Seekers song.  The words & music.  It would certainly make a great national anthem.
I was after the song and I had at least six choices.  Most were sung by multicultural school children which were cute and heightened the message but in the end I went for the professional production and I love Judith Durham’s voice.

I'd Like To Have A Beer With Duncan (was that for Les' benefit? >:D)

No, it wasn’t for Les's benefit, but if it had been, it would have still been in line with what I wanted to achieve.

In the Slim Dusty trio, I was trying to illustrate ideal Australian characteristics, which although most of us cannot live up to, we admire greatly in the Australian stereotype.

• In g’day g’day, I was presenting the laid back informal friendliness we project even to strangers,
  • In Duncan, I wanted to present how much we value mateship.  Slim’s song presented it in a light hearted fashion,  I have read many times that the Australian’s reputation on the battlefield was based not on the individual’s love for King (Queen) and Country and certainly not to please the bloody officers but on mateship because each was prepared to risk all to look after their mates.
  • In The Man from Snowy River, I wanted to highlight our love of perseverance, courage and the satisfaction we get when the perceived underdog battles through to carry the day.  I’m sorry it didn’t grab you – I always get a lump in my throat when I listen to it.

I very much enjoyed the first clip.  The other 2 clips said "sorry not available" :(

I would like to get to the bottom of this.  I tested the links before I posted and I tested them in the quote in your return post.  They worked perfectly.  My theory is that YouTube has servers in each country and perhaps the material on them differs.  So I would appreciate feedback if the links did not work for anybody in Australia and if  they worked for anybody outside of Australia.

I must admit, I didn’t put any effort into choosing the Jack Thompson pieces.  It was the man I wanted to highlight, mainly because, as you say, he “sounded a proper character!”

It seems unfair that you are tasked with hunting for scantily clad women for Les, so I have tried to even the score with the Cleo Centre page: Jack Thompson.  It’s a pity the wowsers used Photoshop to blur out the more interesting bits.

I would love to join you & Les for a drink.  Mine's a nice chilled glass of wine :)

Note to Les:  Looks like when we do this, we will have to drink in the Ladies Lounge.  I don’t like our chances of getting a chilled glass of wine in the Public Bar (or have traditional Pubs changed in the 20 years since I was last in one) .

Tinkety tonk old fruit

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:45:31 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack