Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814684 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #840 on: May 11, 2018, 11:00:22 AM »

I absolutely love Benny 5-0.  Made me roar with laughter.  Hilarious & very clever.

Although he is not regarded as very PC these days, there is little doubt that Benny Hill was a comic genius.
I can remember watching his TV shows as a young kid back in the 1950s. I found them hilarious even then
He always managed to look innocent; he didn't leer; he was never offensive.
Innuendo yes, and lots of it. Smut no.

In real life, he was an eccentric; he lived alone and, tragically, died alone. It was some days after his death before his body was discovered

A comic genius, but, like many great comics, slightly mad.
In the words of Hamlet:
'True genius is to madness near allied'.

My computer won't allow me to post a YouTube link to it, but his 'Wishing Well' sketch is usually regarded as one of his funniest.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 11, 2018, 01:53:00 PM »

My computer won't allow me to post a YouTube link to it, but his 'Wishing Well' sketch is usually regarded as one of his funniest.

Mike, Allow me.  It more than deserves a place here. Any other YouTube links you would like me to vicariously post for you, just let me know.

Wishing Well - Benny Hill - Courtesy of Mkenuk
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 01:55:54 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 11, 2018, 01:57:34 PM »
Thanks, Jack.
It is a classic, and it even has a moral!
Be careful what you wish for.

Les303

« Reply #843 on: May 11, 2018, 03:33:42 PM »
Jack, can you help me out here as I seem to have buggered up that link.
I was trying to show the clips where he impersonates Rod Stewart & Brian Ferry.

At least this one seems to work ; Delvene Delaney - Hot Legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LALBh1BbhAU

Bonza mate, they were exactly the clips that i was trying to show, also enjoyed re - watching that Don Lane " roast ".

Les303

« Reply #844 on: May 11, 2018, 03:51:23 PM »
G'day birdy,

I feel that there are a quite few other forumites ( despite the fact that most of them are bloody pommies ) who Jack could have easily included in his list of honorary Australians  

Les, when the queen whacks a new knight on the shoulder with the royal sword, it doesn't take away anything from those who were honoured before or will be honoured in the future. I wouldn't be game to make a list for fear of leaving someone out. But if you think it is a good idea, go for it.

Quote from:  Les
- who is the young woman riding the bike, i thought it might be Karen Pini but not sure?]

You are amazing.  I can't remember having heard of Karen Pini but when I googled it - what should I see but a picture of a yellow bottom on a push bike.

Sorry mate, I was actually trying to goad you into compiling a list of " Honorary Australians " which really would have " put the cat amongst the pigeons " & there is no way that I will take on such a task as I am no braver than you are.

For some reason, my long term memory seems to be somewhat enhanced when it comes to recalling beautiful women?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 04:06:14 PM by Les303 »

Les303

« Reply #845 on: May 11, 2018, 04:36:54 PM »
Thanks, Jack.
It is a classic, and it even has a moral!
Be careful what you wish for.

I also tried posting the wishing well clip a bit earlier in this thread but my computer must be related to Mike's because i was also unable to do it.
I found the following clip  " where are they now " to be quite poignant & very interesting.

Good to know that Jack has a method that allows him to provide a link to these Youtube clips that often won't allow you to share. ( prepare to be inundated for requests to provide a link. )

Mike, your mentioning of the " moral  " immediately reminded me of an old movie called Bedazzled which we watched just a few weeks ago.
It stars Brendon Somebodyerother & the gorgeous Elizabeth Hurley ( how in the hell did she ever end up with Shane Warne ? ) talk about, be careful what you wish for!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 01:25:18 PM by Les303 »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 11, 2018, 10:32:15 PM »
Sorry mate, I was actually trying to goad you into compiling a list of " Honorary Australians " which really would have " put the cat amongst the pigeons " & there is no way that I will take on such a task as I am no braver than you are.

There are two obvious inclusions:
  • Pen (Hobbit), because she always expresses appreciation of the referred Aussie humour we send her way and even our attempts at Aussie humour.
  • Pat, for the post she sent, which I could not find when I searched for it, but which had the cartoon below in it.

Joey doesn't measure up

I agree there are many others who deserve a place in the list of people who appreciate Aussie humour, but I would prefer to leave it up to self-nomination from here on in, unless presented with an exceptional example.

Quote from: Les, continuing
For some reason, my long term memory seems to be somewhat enhanced when it comes to recalling beautiful women?

Give it another 17 years, mate, and it might not only be your memory that isn't stimulated,
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 11, 2018, 11:15:26 PM »

I'd forgotten that The Plank was that long.  I'd also forgotten, as Mike pointed out, that there were 2 versions of it. 
Cheers
Pen

Pen, I did a bit of research on the plank and it could be argued there were three versions.

The Plank – 1967 (Cinema), 1979 (TV)

Based on a comedy sketch called “Sykes and a Plank“, which was written by Eric Sykes for his comedy television series “Sykes and a” An all star line up come together in this slapstick comedy short film.

The original running for 45 minutes and produced by Associated London Films hit cinemas in 1967 with an all star line up.

In 1979, The plank was remade for TV with another all star cast.  In this instance the film ran for just 30 minutes.

Although not technically a silent film, it is unusual in having little spoken dialogue, instead the film is punctuated by grunts, other vocal noises and sound effects.

Two more Benny Hills. We mustn't let Les see the first. I might over enhance his long term memory.

Benny Hill Con Diana Darvey Español latino

Benny Hill Film Editors

Be seein' ya.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 12, 2018, 04:54:20 AM »

Two more Benny Hills. We mustn't let Les see the first. I might over enhance his long term memory.

Benny Hill Film Editors

Greetings Jack
Thanks for those clips.  I particularly liked Film Editors.  I expect Les very much enjoyed Diana Darvey >:D

Including a clip which probably isn't as funny but couldn't resist!
Ernie
Thanks also to you & Mike for The Wishing Well.  Short & sweet :laugh:
Finally, a little taste of the late, great Brian Johnston.  Best cricket commentator ever!
Johnners
Catch you later
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 12, 2018, 01:29:24 PM »
a link. )

Mike, your mentioning of the " moral  " immediately reminded me of an old movie called Bedazzled which we watched just a few weeks ago.
It stars Brendon Somebodyerother & the gorgeous Elizabeth Hurley

Brendan Fraser, who went on to star in The Mummy, an Indiana Jones-style comedy / horror / adventure.

The 2000 version of Bedazzled was a remake of a 1967 film starring Peter Cook and Dudley Moore (who wrote the script) and Eleanor Bron.
It also has - just for Aussies - an early screen appearance by a quite young-looking Barry Humphries playing one of the seven deadly sins.
Could you guess which one?

Les303

« Reply #850 on: May 12, 2018, 01:46:31 PM »
Given the content of a lot of the clips that we have been posting recently, i'm guessing that it must have been lust.

Les303

« Reply #851 on: May 12, 2018, 02:12:17 PM »

Benny Hill Film Editors

Greetings Jack
Thanks for those clips.  I particularly liked Film Editors.  I expect Les very much enjoyed Diana Darvey >:D

Ernie
Thanks also to you & Mike for The Wishing Well.  Short & sweet :laugh:
Finally, a little taste of the late, great Brian Johnston.  Best cricket commentator ever!
Johnners
Catch you later
Pen

Pen, i'll see your Johnners & raise you a skull (aka - Kerry O'keefe).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y3AXzZqg2k

And of course i do remember the gorgeous & very talented Diana Darvey, after all, how could i ever possibly forget those beautiful shoes that she was wearing in that clip.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 12, 2018, 02:25:12 PM »
Given the content of a lot of the clips that we have been posting recently, i'm guessing that it must have been lust.

Nice try, but no cigar.

He was Green with Envy

Les303

« Reply #853 on: May 12, 2018, 02:35:08 PM »
Bugger,

I do vaguely remember seeing the original a long time ago, I will have to try and find a copy so that I can see it again.

Here's a link to a couple of Peter Cook / Dudley Moore sketches that I thought you & others might enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbnkY1tBvMU

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 12, 2018, 02:35:53 PM »
Greetings Jack
Catch you later
Pen
On the contrary, Pen, Ernie (The Fastest Milkman in the West) was one of the acknowledged classics.
Moving away from Benny to someone you probably know well.  I think that
  Les Dawson interviewed by Parkinson is funny.

Hooroo
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:46:46 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack