Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814314 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #825 on: May 09, 2018, 04:22:00 AM »
Oh heavens Jack that's truly awful!  I thought socks & sandals was still a hanging offence! I'm obviously not down with the kids :laugh:  Young men here wear their jeans so low down you are exposed to rather a lot of "builders bum".  I keep expecting them to fall down any moment >:D
Border collies are wonderful dogs & you are very lucky to have them.
The article on Australian Humour I found very interesting thanks.
Au revoir mon ami
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: May 09, 2018, 04:31:16 AM »

I fully intend to continue my flirtatious banter with Pen who will always be the first girl , lady , special friend that I have met on the internet.

I'll let Pen answer that one.

Penny & i just connected, to her, i found it was very easy to relate.
Jack, i think i have the same connection with you, a genuine mate.

G'day Les.
I'm very pleased to hear that you intend to continue our flirtatious banter.  As you say we connected & found it very easy to relate to one another.
Sorry but I've slightly lost the plot on the exchange between you & Jack & I'm not sure what I'm meant to be answering. 
Back to Must Pay More Attention
I obviously have the attention span of a gnat or a goldfish :laugh:
Penx

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: May 09, 2018, 02:55:06 PM »
I came across an article on Australian Humour which has some interesting insights which you might appreciate.

REALLY liked the Australian travel ad about all those beautiful wide open deserted places.

Les303

« Reply #828 on: May 09, 2018, 05:05:21 PM »
I just can't understand why the Australian Tourism Board never chose to promote the "wide open deserted places" advertising campaign?

The original " Hey Hey its Saturday " television show was extremely popular & mandatory viewing in our household.
For those of you that may not know or remember, the iconic Ozzie telling the first joke was a gentleman named Maurie Fields.
Maurie had a very distinguished career from his early days as a vaudeville actor & stand up comedian to starring in serious dramatic roles in several different Australian television series. (Bellbird would have to be the most remembered )
He was getting toward the end of his career when he was introduced to " Hey Hey " but became an instant favourite due to the unique manner in which he could tell a joke.
A lesser known fact is that he was also the editor of the jokes pages of the Australasian Post magazine for many years, a role continued by his son Marty after Maurie's passing.

His side kick on " Hey Hey " was Shane Bourne, a stand up comedian who appeared in or hosted many comedic television programmes.
In total contrast to Maurie's career, it was only later in Shane's career that he began to appear in serious television shows where he proved himself to be a avery accomplished dramatic actor. (i thought that he was excellent in "City Homicide").

No matter how " fashionable " it may be for the younger generation, there is no way that you will ever see me wearing socks with sandals or even worse, socks with thongs.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:13:18 PM by Les303 »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: May 09, 2018, 08:14:03 PM »
REALLY liked the Australian travel ad about all those beautiful wide open deserted places.

Hi, Birdy, I dub thee an honorary Australian in the field of humour.

I had a quick look today for similar sketches but came up empty. However, as time allows, I’ll keep looking.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: May 09, 2018, 10:02:41 PM »
I obviously have the attention span of a gnat or a goldfish :laugh:

Pen, I suspect your affliction is somewhat similar to a malady I have – “selective deafness”.  It is said that I can’t hear “you got to do that job” in a normal volume from 3 metres but I have no problem hearing “do you want a beer” whispered from 30 metres.

Les’s post reminded me that “Hey Hey’ also had a segment called “Red Faces” and I turned up an interesting bit of trivia.

Quote from:  PETER TATCHELL (reprinted from LAUGH MAGAZINE #9, 1994)
It all began as something of a joke. In mid-1971, Sydney Harbour Bridge rigger Paul Hogan and a few of his workmates were bemoaning the treatment regularly meted out to contestants on the New Faces TV show. Why not work out a phony act and heap a bit back on the judges, thought 32-year-old Hogan, an Aussie battler with a wife and kids who’d left school in his mid-teens and worked his way through a myriad of jobs.

Billing himself as a knife-throwing tap-dancer from Lightning Ridge he duly appeared on the show and menaced the none-too-impressed adjudicators with his wooden props and ocker wit. Whether or not the producers of the program appreciated his sentiments they were quick to note a glimpse of talent in his methods and invited him back for another appearance. By the end of the year (and after several more ludicrous sight acts) Hogan was a contestant in the finals of the show and though beaten into second place he was creating quite a stir with the viewers.

Enter journalist Mike Willesee, whose A Current Affair daily TV programme debuted the following week. One of his first segments featured a reporter sent out to interview the famous bridge worker about his newfound fame and views on life in general.

The three-minute item so impressed Willesee that Hogan was engaged as a regular on the series and for the next few months would knock off work at four o’clock in the afternoon and make his way to the T.C.N.9 studios.

An indication of the popularity of the two to three minute segments came when Hogan discussed tax returns and suggested attaching a $10 note to the form to speed up the refund. Over seven thousand viewers followed his advice (much to the consternation on the tax office).

So to thank Les for reminding me, I have included a short sketch for his enjoyment, but you might get a giggle out of it as well.

Is bicycling healthy?

Adiós, mi amiga

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: May 10, 2018, 05:00:46 AM »

Pen, I suspect your affliction is somewhat similar to a malady I have – “selective deafness”.  It is said that I can’t hear “you got to do that job” in a normal volume from 3 metres but I have no problem hearing “do you want a beer” whispered from 30 metres.

So to thank Les for reminding me, I have included a short sketch for his enjoyment, but you might get a giggle out of it as well.

Is bicycling healthy?

Evening Jack
I think if you asked No1 daughter about my "selective deafness" I don't doubt she would agree!
I enjoyed reading about Paul Hogan.  Very interesting & informative. You were right.  Is Bicycling Healthy? gave me a real giggle :laugh: I love visual humour.  There was a short film years ago written by Eric Sykes called The Plank.  There was no dialogue but it was very funny. Benny Hill was a bit of a favourite here in the 70's.  He did lots of visual sketches & always used the same music Benny Hill Theme. Not everybody's cup of tea but very popular with the gentlemen as there were lots of attractive scantily clad ladies to be seen >:D
Aloha
Pen

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: May 10, 2018, 09:44:32 AM »

I love visual humour.  There was a short film years ago written by Eric Sykes called The Plank.  There was no dialogue but it was very funny.

There were actually two versions of The Plank, both of them written and directed by Eric Sykes.
The first was made for cinema release and had Eric Sykes and Tommy Cooper as the two workmen; it was remade for TV a few years later with Arthur Lowe replacing Tommy Cooper.
I'm not sure which I prefer - they are both hilarious.
Eric Sykes actually made a series of short TV comedy films. The best known, apart from The Plank, were A Home of Your Own and Mr H is Late.

Another two 'silent movies' from about the same era were by the Two Ronnies (Corbett and Barker).
The films, which were made for TV, were called 'By the Sea' and 'The Picnic' and today they are both rightly regarded as comedy classics.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: May 10, 2018, 03:06:00 PM »
Is bicycling healthy?

Note to self: Must stop watching these things late at night. Will be getting letter of complaint about loud laughter while normal people are trying to sleep.

Les303

« Reply #834 on: May 10, 2018, 04:18:22 PM »
G'day birdy,

I feel that there are a quite few other forumites ( despite the fact that most of them are bloody pommies ) who Jack could have easily included in his list of honorary Australians but I certainly do endorse his decision in dubbing thee as i just love your sense of humour.

Jack, i really did enjoy seeing that clip after such a long time but i am struggling to remember, who is the young woman riding the bike, i thought it might be Karen Pini but not sure?
Do you remember Hogan's impersonations...heres a link.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSGief9Gb7xS-YHjeOF7FSu029..
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 05:29:01 PM by Les303 »

Les303

« Reply #835 on: May 10, 2018, 04:40:06 PM »
Jack, can you help me out here as I seem to have buggered up that link.
I was trying to show the clips where he impersonates Rod Stewart & Brian Ferry.

At least this one seems to work ; Delvene Delaney - Hot Legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LALBh1BbhAU
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:42:20 PM by Les303 »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: May 10, 2018, 08:18:28 PM »
Jack, can you help me out here as I seem to have buggered up that link.
I was trying to show the clips where he impersonates Rod Stewart & Brian Ferry.

Les, I found one each of his impersonations of RS and BF but I am not sure if they are the ones you were referring to.

Rod Stewart impersonation

Brian Ferry impersonation

If not, I'll search further.

In the meantime, I thought you might like Paul's classic example of taking the mickey out of a mate

Paul Hogan tribute to Don Lane
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:54:23 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: May 10, 2018, 09:29:15 PM »
G'day birdy,

I feel that there are a quite few other forumites ( despite the fact that most of them are bloody pommies ) who Jack could have easily included in his list of honorary Australians 

Les, when the queen whacks a new knight on the shoulder with the royal sword, it doesn't take away anything from those who were honoured before or will be honoured in the future. I wouldn't be game to make a list for fear of leaving someone out. But if you think it is a good idea, go for it.

Quote from:  Les
- who is the young woman riding the bike, i thought it might be Karen Pini but not sure?]

You are amazing.  I can't remember having heard of Karen Pini but when I googled it - what should I see but a picture of a yellow bottom on a push bike.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: May 10, 2018, 10:04:56 PM »
I love visual humour.  There was a short film years ago written by Eric Sykes called The Plank.  There was no dialogue but it was very funny. Benny Hill was a bit of a favourite here in the 70's. 

I won't put a link to The Plank here, Pen, because it goes for nearly an hour but there a number of copies easily accessible on the internet if people would like to see it.

Paul Hogan was unashamedly a great fan of Benny Hill and copied a number of his sketches.  I have included a Benny Hill original and two Paul Hogans in the Benny Hill Style below.

Benny 5-O

Redondo Beach

Benny Hill - The Handyman

Bis zum nächsten Mal
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: May 11, 2018, 04:51:30 AM »

I won't put a link to The Plank here, Pen, because it goes for nearly an hour but there a number of copies easily accessible on the internet if people would like to see it.

Benny 5-O

Evening Jack
I absolutely love Benny 5-0.  Made me roar with laughter.  Hilarious & very clever.
I'd forgotten that The Plank was that long.  I'd also forgotten, as Mike pointed out, that there were 2 versions of it.  Eric Sykes was amazing.  If memory serves I think he was deaf.  He appeared in Dinnerladies as Stan's Dad.  He was a Desert Rat you know :laugh:
I always thought of Paul Hogan as Crocodile Dundee & Foster's lager ads.  It wasn't until you started posting all the other stuff I realised what a very funny comedian he is. 
Cheers
Pen