Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814074 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #780 on: May 05, 2018, 03:09:43 AM »
Jack, the above was my reply to Pen, it includes the " G'day Les " quote so i'm not sure what you would like me  to modify.

In any case, you must realise by now just what a lovely & easy going type of person that Penny is, she would be the last one in the world to be worried about spelling mistakes, bad grammar, miss leading or missing quotes or even total omissions, all that she has ever cared about is the content & context of my posts, when they are good, she will let me know & when they are bad she will also let me know but in a very subtle manor.

Don’t worry about it, Les.  I was being pedantic in trying to get you to get Pen’s quote looking right by getting the “quote” “/quotes” balanced.  The only relevance of the “G’day Les” was to indicate the place where you needed to have a “quote” statement of some kind before it.  You have achieved this by pure accident although it does look a bit funny having a “quote from Les303 etc.” followed by Pen’s quote.

Your statement on Pen’s qualities, which you have understated, and how she wouldn’t care how sloppy your presentation was, illustrates a divergence of views between you and me on communication. Although the communication is directed to Pen, it is made in a public forum and this should also be taken into account.

I am old-fashioned about communication. I believe that if you are communicating for your own pleasure then you should get a diary and keep it to yourself.  You would realise by now, Les, what Aussies call people who pleasure themselves.  If you are communicating with others for any of the following reasons: their enjoyment; information; enlightenment; instruction; or just keeping in touch, it is your responsibility to take as much care as you can to make their job of getting the message less onerous. This includes attention to presentation, spelling, grammar within reason, and adopting the style of the presentation to the purpose you want to achieve.  The more forgiving the audience, the more, not less, I feel an obligation to take care. I often fall short of the standard I would like to set, but I keeping trying.

On re-reading what I have written, I realise what a pompous old Git I have become.  You probably got there before me.

Also, I am reminded of that old but true proverb which I have just made up: “you can flog a dead horse, but you can’t make it drink”

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 05, 2018, 04:32:21 AM »
Oh Jack & Les you totally crack me up :laugh:
I have totally lost the plot, am completely bamboozled & have not got the foggiest idea what on earth is going on ???  I couldn't care less because you're both making me roar with laughter!
The best present you can give somebody (apart from a share of your lottery win >:D) is to make them laugh.
Here's to friends even though they're far away :)
Penx
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 05, 2018, 04:48:51 AM »

Also, I am reminded of that old but true proverb which I have just made up: “you can flog a dead horse, but you can’t make it drink”

I'm not sure that Les needs any encouragement to take a drink Jack >:D
I enjoyed the Antz Pantz ad.
I've just remembered that Arnold Schwarzenegger made some adverts for an insurance comparison company here called Compare The Meerkat. I'll post a couple as I think they're quite funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ADHb1p4lv8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTrgPZG1Vrc
Cheers
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 05, 2018, 04:55:14 AM »

You have done really well
Always knew that you would
Jack likes to raise hell
But we're just too good.

Pen, you are entitled to feel a little smug as you have obviously mastered the art of posting a link.
Just a word of warning, if you are anything like me, make sure that you use " your new found power " regularly, otherwise within a few months you will have forgotten how to do it.
I hope that your doing better than me with the next bit where you can change the name of the link, it has me bamboozled.

G'day Les.
You're spot on!  If I don't practice my new found skill then I will almost certainly forget how to do it in a nanosecond!  I have no idea how to change the name of the link. Exceedingly baffled! Happy just to post a link as it is!
Loved the poem by the way :)
Pen

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 05, 2018, 05:48:36 AM »
I have no idea how to change the name of the link. Exceedingly baffled!

To change the name of the link, you can edit what you put between the two URL tags, like this:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://www.google.com]This is a link to Google.[/url]
This is the result. This is a link to Google.

Les303

« Reply #785 on: May 05, 2018, 05:39:58 PM »

Les303

« Reply #786 on: May 05, 2018, 05:42:57 PM »
Bugger, I thought I had it although it did take me to UTUBE but to a blank page?, never mind i'll keep trying.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 05:47:34 PM by Les303 »

Les303

« Reply #787 on: May 05, 2018, 06:02:47 PM »

Les303

« Reply #788 on: May 05, 2018, 06:05:34 PM »
Bugger me, that actually worked, thanks to anonsi, cal ,jack & google.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:07:14 PM by Les303 »

Les303

« Reply #789 on: May 05, 2018, 06:20:08 PM »
Just in case it was a fluke, I have to try it again.

Meet Zoe[url]

Les303

« Reply #790 on: May 05, 2018, 06:44:56 PM »
Just one question now, why does the " [url] " appear at the end of my title?

Les303

« Reply #791 on: May 05, 2018, 06:47:59 PM »

Don’t worry about it, Les.  I was being pedantic in trying to get you to get Pen’s quote looking right by getting the “quote” “/quotes” balanced.  The only relevance of the “G’day Les” was to indicate the place where you needed to have a “quote” statement of some kind before it.  You have achieved this by pure accident although it does look a bit funny having a “quote from Les303 etc.” followed by Pen’s quote.

Your statement on Pen’s qualities, which you have understated, and how she wouldn’t care how sloppy your presentation was, illustrates a divergence of views between you and me on communication. Although the communication is directed to Pen, it is made in a public forum and this should also be taken into account.

I am old-fashioned about communication. I believe that if you are communicating for your own pleasure then you should get a diary and keep it to yourself.  You would realise by now, Les, what Aussies call people who pleasure themselves.  If you are communicating with others for any of the following reasons: their enjoyment; information; enlightenment; instruction; or just keeping in touch, it is your responsibility to take as much care as you can to make their job of getting the message less onerous. This includes attention to presentation, spelling, grammar within reason, and adopting the style of the presentation to the purpose you want to achieve.  The more forgiving the audience, the more, not less, I feel an obligation to take care. I often fall short of the standard I would like to set, but I keeping trying.

On re-reading what I have written, I realise what a pompous old Git I have become.  You probably got there before me.

[/quote]

I am feeling like a bit of a naughty school boy.
Hod,Mike, Pat, rogue mother & many others have long given up in their attempts to correct my poor communications but your point is well taken & I  will endeavour to make my future posts a bit more professional.

Pen, you really must try to make more of an effort to keep up.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:52:07 PM by Les303 »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 05, 2018, 07:32:24 PM »
Just one question now, why does the "
Try] " appear at the end of my title?
Try [/url] instead of [url] to end with.  Did everyone forget to tell to do that?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 07:45:23 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 05, 2018, 08:03:54 PM »
I was being pedantic in trying to get you to get Pen’s quote looking right by getting the “quote” “/quotes” balanced.  

Les, if you insist on chopping the tops off, leave at least one “quote” in parenthesis there to  stop the quotes looking ridiculous.

[quote]  ......[/quote] must come in pairs.  We’ll talk more about this later when I’m sober.

P.S. do you really think having a little tipple reduces your ability to communicate?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 08:10:56 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #794 on: May 05, 2018, 08:31:41 PM »

[quote]  ......[/quote] must come in pairs.  We’ll talk more about this later when I’m sober.

P.S. do you really think having a little tipple reduces your ability to communicate?

[/quote]

I'm too " pissed " to answer that.