Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814239 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #720 on: April 28, 2018, 04:33:01 AM »

Sometime last year I posted a xxxx ad that featured 4 well known Australian cricketers & challenged forum readers from around the world to identify " the actors " but I had no responses so the link below is to that ad which is my nomination for your competition & just as an aside can you name the 4 " actors " involved?

I love this ad Les.  Hilarious :laugh: I must have missed it when you posted it last time round.  I feel I ought to know all the faces but can only spot Alan Border.  Hopefully Jack will enlighten me!
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 28, 2018, 04:37:01 AM »
Victoria Wood has been a firm favourite for many years and I was trying to post a suggestion for the Ballad of Barry and Freda when we had the forum problem the other day. My favourite line being "beat me on the bottom with my Woman's Weekly" !!!!! No reason (honestly!) just has me giggling every time!
Me too cmh!  Just wonderful.  Never fails to make me laugh.
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: April 28, 2018, 04:48:38 AM »

Hi Pen, I found The Ballad of Barry and Freda and it is definitely on the short list but YouTube kept telling BBC had required them to block "two Soups" because of Copyright.  I'll keep looking for an alternative source,

In the meantime, something not nearly as good Paui Hogan at the Oscars

Evening Jack.
Bloody BBC how dare they >:( We pay our licence so we should be able to watch it!
I loved Paul Hogan at the Oscars.  Made me laugh out loud.  Wonder what he's up to now?
I need you to identify the cricketers in Les's XXXX ad please.  Feel I should know all of them but only spotted Alan Border.
See you later alligator...
Pen

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: April 28, 2018, 04:32:38 PM »
Hi Penny...I know it's Jeff Thomson (1st in line) and Greg Ritchie last. I'm pretty sure it's Mike Whitney in the middle. If I'm wrong,  I'm sure Les or Jack will tell us. !
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Les303

« Reply #724 on: April 28, 2018, 06:27:03 PM »

You know I know bugger all about cricket, Les. Apart from A.B. and Thommo I am lost.  I bet you can tell me who in the I feel like a Tooheys Ad 1980 are.
I prefer the Toohey's New Guide dog Ad.
[/quote]

G'day Ozzyjack, Hobbit & auntiemo,

Jack, you may not know much about cricket although you are very adept at googling all sorts of stories, jokes & detailed information from the internet but none the less, you have done very well to correctly identify A.B ( did that have something to do with the fact that his name was actually in the link ? ) & Thommo.
The main characters from the Tooheys ad were Dennis Lillee ( bowling ), Steve Rixon ( batting ) & Dougie Walters running in from the field.
I laughed out loud when i first saw the guide dog ad.

Pen, do not feel as though you should know all of these " actors " as the question is a very tough one even for the most ardent of cricket fans.

auntiemo, you have done extremely well to correctly identify 3 of the 4 unfortunately Mike Whitney is not in there.

If you would rather not know the full answer just yet, then please opt out now.

----
----
----
----

A.B. -- Allan Border took over the Australian captaincy at a very difficult time & although he earned the nick name of captain cranky, he went on to have an illustrious career.

Thommo -- Jeff Thompson was in his prime, the fastest & most feared bowler in the world.

Greg Ritchie -- One of the finest batsmen that Queensland has ever produced however due to limited opportunities he only played about 30 test matches for Australia where he aquitted himself very well.

Ray Phillips -- World class wicket keeper who played for New South Wales for many years before he finally saw the light & transferred to Queensland.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:55:12 PM by Les303 »

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: April 28, 2018, 07:44:59 PM »
Thanks Les...I would never have got that.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Les303

« Reply #726 on: April 28, 2018, 10:30:09 PM »
My nephew, Andrew, was a very talented cricketer in his early teens & showed so much promise that he was invited to attend a training course here in Brisbane where senior players & coaches would access their potential, provide guidance & coaching with a view to future recruitment into the Queensland squad.

I first learned of this when i got a phone call from big sister who was very excited, they want Andrew to go to Brisbane to attend some sort of cricket academy they think that he is so good that he might be able to play for Queensland one day but it will be for 2 weeks & they don't provide accommodation.
No problem sis, i'll put him up for a couple of weeks, his 13 years old so he will be able to look after himself while i am at work & i will make sure that if i can't take him myself, i'll show him how to get to the various venues that he needs to attend.
Due to my work schedule, i could usually only drop him off or pick him up from his training sessions however the last two days of the course coincided with my days off so i was finally able attend for the full sessions.
Of course i was there to support Andrew but i was very quickly distracted as i was introduced to long retired & current players that were all involved in this program.

It was a cricket fans dream, i got to meet a lot of my heroes including Thommo, AB & even Greg Chappel who was involved behind the scenes & they were all fantastic telling me what i wanted to hear about my nephews potential but it was Ray Phillips who took me aside & told me straight out, this kid has a lot of potential, he can hit the ball a long way but his defensive technique is absolute crap, you need to get your local coaches to concentrate on his defence.

Andrew took this advice onboard & worked hard on his defensive technique, he resisted the urge to hit every single ball to the boundary & his game improved immensely.

By the time that he was 15 years old he was playing in the mens competion & embarrassing them all but then one off season he got involved with the wrong crowd & started taking drugs.

Forget about cricket, all of a sudden we are dealing with fines, inability or unwillingness to work, court cases & jail time, somewhere in amongst all his turmoil there is a child, with the mother long gone she is basically being raised by her grand parents.

Despite everything that beautiful child is doing wonderfully well, she is as bright as a button, well adjusted & thank the lord, seems to have taken on the traits of her grandparents rather than those of her biological parents.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 28, 2018, 11:04:30 PM »
Bloody BBC how dare they >:( We pay our licence so we should be able to watch it!

It may be if they recognise you as a viewer from the UK, Pen, they would let you watch it.  I take it you still must pay a viewers’ licence fee which we in Australia abolished when Adam (and Ozzyjack) was a boy.  It may be that they only hide it from the great overseas unwashed.  It would be interesting to find out.

Two soups blocked

a remake, I think

The real thing via Facebook, I hope

I need you to identify the cricketers in Les's XXXX ad please.  Feel I should know all of them but only spotted Alan Border.

Thank Heavens Les has answered this.

And here is a Cringe-worthy Fosters Ad

See you later alligator...

Oh Pen, we are giving away that we are of a certain age.
OK, after a while, Crocodile.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 28, 2018, 11:52:50 PM »

Jack, you may not know much about cricket although you are very adept at googling all sorts of stories, jokes & detailed information from the internet but none the less, you have done very well to correctly identify A.B ( did that have something to do with the fact that his name was actually in the link ? ) & Thommo.
The main characters from the Tooheys ad were Dennis Lillee ( bowling ), Steve Rixon ( batting ) & Dougie Walters running in from the field.

Les, you don’t have to be a cricket fan to recognise A.B., Thommo, Dennis and Dougie.  You just must be Australian and of a certain age. 

Am I right that by the time the Tooheys ad was made that Thommo and Dennis had retired from the Australian Cricket Team.  So A.B. must have been using the beach cricket team he got together for some charity to make the ad.  I do know he got up the noses of the Australian Cricket Board for making XXXX ads when they supported, or were supported by, another Brewery chain.

A piece of trivia. Dougie’s Father was my father’s second cousin.  Although I have not met Dougie, we were both at a luncheon after a charity golf game some years ago. We had both had the odd beer, so I considered going up to him and saying, “Do you know you’re a fifth cousin of mine”. But then I imagined him saying “a silly old bugger like you couldn’t be a relative of mine”.  So, I just had another beer.

You do know, Les, you are not restricted to only one contribution in the beer ad contest.  You must remember some other XXXX ads. 
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 29, 2018, 12:16:41 AM »

I don't know how well this style of self-effacing UK humour will travel to other countries, but it would be interesting to know.
Hi Mike,  I have included two examples, so people can answer your question.  

Here is a third, Philomena Cunk on the British Election

Nobody else has taken up your question, so I will venture an opinion,  This type of humour is amusing and definitely worth watching, but does not make me laugh out loud like some of the others that have been proffered do.  I will be watching the other Philomena Cunk sketches and expect to enjoy them.  I liked the one on Shakespeare but as it went for 28 minutes, I didn't include it here.  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:41:23 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 29, 2018, 04:32:06 AM »
Thanks Les & Auntie Mo.  Should have spotted Jeff Thompson.  One of the greatest bowlers ever!  Don't think I'd have got the other two though.
Cheers
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 29, 2018, 04:42:24 AM »

It may be if they recognise you as a viewer from the UK, Pen, they would let you watch it.  I take it you still must pay a viewers’ licence fee which we in Australia abolished when Adam (and Ozzyjack) was a boy.  It may be that they only hide it from the great overseas unwashed.  It would be interesting to find out.

Oh Pen, we are giving away that we are of a certain age.
OK, after a while, Crocodile.

It doesn't make any difference Jack.  I can only locate it on Facebook same as you. :-R
I am loving all these naff beer ads :laugh: I particularly like the guide dog one for Tooheys.  I don't know how on earth you're going to sort them into order of merit :laugh:
I looked up variations of See you later alligator & came up with
Tood-a-loo kangaroo!!
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 29, 2018, 08:00:04 AM »
I am loving all these naff beer ads :laugh: I don't know how on earth you're going to sort them into order of merit :laugh:

I have no intention of doing the ranking myself.  As Lucretius pointed out in the 1st century bce “One man’s meat is another man’s poison”.  If I were to rank them, all it would do, would be to define my sense of humour.

After I decide that I can no longer beg, borrow or steal any more suggestions, I will have two options:
  • devise a rating scale and invite forumites, including non-contributors to rate the suggestions;
  • let sleeping dogs lie on the rationale that eliciting the suggestion has served a useful purpose and getting votes would not add value.

Forumites: Any opinions on the options would be welcomed.

Quote from: Pen again
Tood-a-loo kangaroo!!

Hooroo didgeridoo
Regards, Jack

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 29, 2018, 09:33:28 AM »
I don't particularly care if we rank them or not, Ozzyjack.  I just like looking at everyone's contributions and comments.

Anyway, don't know whether or not these have yet been added to the pot.  Or even whether or not they should be.  We're a weird mob down here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaQpY-OuOjs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TCgRqKbTIM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHcL40ALOJ8

I'll sleep in my next life

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 29, 2018, 02:31:43 PM »
I don't particularly care if we rank them or not, Ozzyjack.  I just like looking at everyone's contributions and comments.

Anyway, don't know whether or not these have yet been added to the pot.  Or even whether or not they should be.  We're a weird mob down here.

Hahn Bath Scene

Hahn by the Pool

Hahn- Venice

Hi Valerie,  
I'm glad you are enjoying all the contributions.  I remember seeing your latest contributions some years ago and they still make me laugh.  They had not been added to the pot before and they certainly should be.

I have taken the liberty of labelling them for peoples' convenience in case we go for the vote option and I've added one to the series where the woman gets revenge.

Hahn - all the males go OUCH

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 02:38:50 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack