Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814349 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #675 on: April 23, 2018, 09:47:25 PM »
I enjoyed your joke about the Diggers.  I'm not exactly sure what a Digger is - a veteran I presume.  I love the very slight difference in our sayings & words :)

The simple answer is an ANZAC Digger is the same as an English Tommy.  I guess once a Digger always a Digger so veteran fills the bill.

It only gets complicated when you try to explain the origin of the expression.   The A and the NZ part of the ANZACs each claim credit.  

The NZers claim the Maori soldiers in Gallipoli were so good at digging trenches they became known as Diggers. The Aussies liked it so much that by 1917 they were claiming they were Diggers.

The Aussies claimed that the term went back to the Eureka rebellion of 1854. The rebellion came about because the goldfield workers (known as 'diggers') opposed the government miners' licences.  The term was applied to Aussie soldiers because digging trenches was somewhat akin to mining.

We have the same problem with NZers over who invented the Pavlova, but we made the mistake of getting a Pommy referee, the result of which was

The Oxford English Dictionary may have settled a long-running argument between Australia and New Zealand over who invented the pavlova.
The dessert - meringue with fruit and cream - was named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova, who visited both countries in the 1920s.
Australians and New Zealanders agree on that, but not on who invented it.
In its relaunched online edition, the OED says the first recorded pavlova recipe appeared in New Zealand in 1927.

I'm re-watching Dinnerladies at the moment on one of the toot channels!

You’ve got revenge.  What the hell is a “toot channel”?.  I looked it up and all I could find was that Armenian channels in England are called toot channels but I can’t imagine they were showing the Dinner Ladies.

Have a small glass of Vin Rose for me.  I'll stick with Shiraz. :laugh: :-Z
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:51:24 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 23, 2018, 10:39:01 PM »
Sorry Jack we might say a load of old toot!! Pronounced the same as foot!  It's one of those channels that just shows repeats of lots of different old programmes.  Sometimes the current telly is so bad that I'd rather watch a repeat of a good older programme :)
I love the idea of the Australians & New Zealanders having a tiff over pavlova ( :-H)  Whatever possessed you to get a Pom to referee...? >:D
Like a glass of red but find shiraz a bit heavy going.  Enjoy a nice glass of pinot noir
Cheers!  Bottoms up!!
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 24, 2018, 03:53:43 AM »
First, let me congratulate Mkenuk on beating everyone else to the Rosette in the game that opened over an hour ago.

Just because we applaud having woman Prime Ministers..........
Quote from: mkenuk in reply
You won't hear much applause from me for either of the two female PMs we have had in the UK

Point taken, Mike.  However, I don’t think the aberration of one country spoils the argument.  We’ve had a good one.  Germany has got a good one.  And it’s not if there hasn’t been the odd male failure as leader – Chamberlain for example.  We might even be able to point to a current leader.

Quote from: Me again
 They’ll be advocating for a woman Pope next. >:D
Quote from: Mike again
Some would say there has already been one ....Pope_Joan

It couldn’t happen now if the candidate didn’t have the balls for the job.

picture of the sedia Stercoraria

"It's a strange object. There is, for a start, something curious about its proportions. The seat is very high and has cut into it a keyhole shape, the stem open to the front. On closer examination it could be an elderly, rather grand commode, once used by popes.... However, the chair back is at a curious reclining angle, far too relaxed, it would seem, for any practical bodily movement. And the legs, too, are unusual... leaving the centre, under the keyhole, open and uncluttered."

"Variously known as the sedia stercoraria – which translates as the 'dung chair'– or rather more understandably, as the 'pierced chair', this then was the object used to test the sex of newly installed popes... Any candidate chosen by his peers to occupy the papal throne was required, before his election could be verified, to sit on this elaborate seat while a young cardinal took advantage of the design to touch his testicles." [1]

1.   The Legend of Pope Joan, Peter Stanford, Berkley Books, New York, 1999, pp. 11-12. The picture of the chair is taken from the plates.

My son-in-law recently gave me a six pack of “Old Specked Hen”.  Not as good as “Old Peculier” but not bad.  I am getting a taste for English beer – particularly if somebody buys it for me. :-R
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:02:36 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: April 24, 2018, 04:26:14 AM »
Sorry Jack we might say a load of old toot!! Pronounced the same as foot!  It's one of those channels that just shows repeats of lots of different old Programmes.

We have several channels like that on FOXTEL. Looks like you have them on free-to-air.

You need to be careful about the context of using “toot” to Aussies.  Here it is slang for toilet.

Like a glass of red but find shiraz a bit heavy going.  Enjoy a nice glass of pinot noir

I like a gutsy red.  Not keen on the thin varietals.  I don’t like heavy whites though.  Sauvignon Blanc is my white of choice.

Cheers!  Bottoms up!!
Pen

Bit early in the morning for me, Pen.  :D
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 24, 2018, 04:34:31 AM »

I am sincerely hopeful that one day soon, totally unexpected & out of the blue, you might be as lucky as i was & meet your new soul mate.

Thanks Les!  Never say never but I think it's quite unlikely but you never know.  I did join a dating website for about a day but got 2 or 3 weird messages so ran for the hills!  I am so very pleased that you've met Karen.  Brilliant :)
Good Morning or Good Evening or just Gooday Les!
pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 24, 2018, 04:44:38 AM »

You need to be careful about the context of using “toot” to Aussies.  Here it is slang for toilet.
Oh dear whoops!  Foot in mouth :o  We say loo but I have no idea why!

Sauvignon Blanc is my white of choice.
That's something we agree on!  I do really like a nice pink :)

Bit early in the morning for me, Pen.  :D
Sorry Jack I will get the time difference fixed in my thick head sometime ???

Forgot to ask if you enjoyed your golf the other day?
Pen

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 24, 2018, 08:27:54 AM »
I certainly meant no offence & I am not even sure how I came to that conclusion but for some reason I just assumed that you would be the type of person that would have little interest in science fiction, a genre that a lot of people do consider to be total nonsense?

No offence taken, Les. I was just surprised anyone might think that as I've been a huge SF fan since before my teens.

Les303

« Reply #682 on: April 24, 2018, 06:57:20 PM »
Really glad to hear that you are in fact a long time science fiction fan, can I ask what it was that drew you to this genre at such a young age & of course you must now let me know what your number one is, would you agree with " Pen Junior " & myself or would you nominate another favourite ( aside from Dr Who ).

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 25, 2018, 12:04:31 AM »
Oh Jack I really would be dangerous if I had a proper brain :-R
I managed to do my last message entirely as a quote ???
Numpty!  Am going to commit hari kari!!
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 25, 2018, 02:47:24 AM »
I managed to do my last message entirely as a quote ???
Numpty!  Am going to commit hari kari!!

Don't do that, Pen.  Everybody makes mistakes.  The trick is to hit the Preview button before you hit the Post button.  I've been meaning to suggest that to Les.  Anyway to your previous post.

Quote from: Pen

We say loo but I have no idea why!

The stream of questions about the origin of "loo" never dries up :D.

Even the experts can't enlighten you with any certainty, Pen.  Here is an article about the origin of "loo" which suggests some possibilities.

Quote from: Pen again

I do really like a nice pink :)

Are any of these nice pinks among your favorites?

Forgot to ask if you enjoyed your golf the other day?

I played on Wednesday Locally and Thursday at Brighton Lakes.  Both very enjoyable.  No traffic problems on Thursday.

Pen, It's ANZAC day here now and will be in England shortly, so it is appropriate I tell you a story about a typical Australian who is noted for his typical Australian sensitivity.

Three blokes were drinking in a pub, Les, Chook and Simmo. Chook has a stroke and dies.
As the ambulance takes the body away, Simmo says, "Someone should go and tell his missus."
Les says, "OK, I`m pretty good at that sensitive stuff, I'll do it."
Two hours later, Les comes back carrying a slab of VB. Simmo says, "Where did you get that, Les?"
"Chook's missus gave it to me."
"That's unbelievable, you told his missus Chook was dead, and she gave you beer?"
Les says, "Well not exactly. When she answered the door, I said to her, "You must be Chook`s widow."
She said, "No, I'm not a widow."
And I said, "Wanna bet me a slab"

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:49:03 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 25, 2018, 04:40:22 AM »

Are any of these nice pinks among your favorites?

The only one of those rather nice pinks I've tried is the M&S one.  It has a lovely shaped bottle & tastes very yummy :) The Fortnum & Mason one & a couple of the others are, sadly, way out of my price range.  That'll be something to try when I get my big lottery win!!
You missed your vocation as a comedian Jack.  I enjoyed your gag about the loo & thought your joke about the 3 blokes in a pub was funny :laugh:  I wondered if the fact that the most sensitive of the 3 was called Les was purely a conincidence >:D
By the way I have used the preview button.  Unfortunately I don't always remember & press post & then realise it's too bloody late :-R
Drive & putt like a demon Jack!
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 25, 2018, 05:12:41 AM »
I wondered if the fact that the most sensitive of the 3 was called Les was purely a coincidence.

Damn, I must have missed reading the names when I posted it in. Of course it was a coincidence, Pen.  >:D You don’t think the shoe fits, do you?

press post & then realise it's too bloody late :-R

No,it’s not. You can review it once it’s posted and press Modify if you are unhappy with anything in the post and then press Save

Drive & putt like a demon Jack!

At 10:30 am (my time) with any luck.
Regards, Jack

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 25, 2018, 06:58:29 AM »
I can't say what attracted me to Science Fiction, except I've always been a geek (my kids would probably say nerd). If I had to choose another fave television programme I'd probably choose the too-brief Blake's 7. My fave author in the genre probably remains Asimov, though Bradbury and Clarke are nearly as good. I've been reading the The Expanse series which is a good story (wish it had a lot less expletives, though): nearly done with the sixth novel; have finished three of four novellas, and both short stories.

Les303

« Reply #688 on: April 25, 2018, 01:56:43 PM »
I can't say what attracted me to Science Fiction, except I've always been a geek (my kids would probably say nerd). If I had to choose another fave television programme I'd probably choose the too-brief Blake's 7. My fave author in the genre probably remains Asimov, though Bradbury and Clarke are nearly as good. I've been reading the The Expanse series which is a good story (wish it had a lot less expletives, though): nearly done with the sixth novel; have finished three of four novellas, and both short stories.

Gooday Trex,

While Blake's Seven had a huge cult following i dont think that it do too well in the television ratings which is probably why it only lasted for a few series.
Thanks for the tip about " The Expanse " series, sounds like the type of books that i would enjoy.

I am afraid that the excessive use of expletives went out of control many years ago to the point that a lot of swear words have lost their original impact.
Dropping an " f-bomb " today is more like dropping an " f-firecracker ".

Les303

« Reply #689 on: April 25, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »
Don't do that, Pen.  Everybody makes mistakes.  The trick is to hit the Preview button before you hit the Post button.  I've been meaning to suggest that to Les.  Anyway to your previous post.
 [/quote]
Les says, "Well not exactly. When she answered the door, I said to her, "You must be Chook`s widow."
She said, "No, I'm not a widow."
And I said, "Wanna bet me a slab"[/color]
[/size]
[/font]

G'day Jack & Pen,
Pen, just to clarify for yourself & any other readers who may not be aware ; when we say gooday in Australia we are not actually saying " have a good day " we are just saying hello. The good part is almost silent & the word is pronounced more like giday. So when you are first introduced to an Ozzy, no matter what time of day or night & no matter if you are male or female, young or old, the response is likely to be " Giday mate, howrya going. "

Jack, my endless list of mistakes has provided the opportunity for several other players to previously suggest that I use the preview tab, however the problem is that even after a preview, I will still post a message with multiple errors so what plausible explanation could there possibly be? ( other than he's just an idiot )
Well, I think that I may have found the answer, it is only a theory but I do think that there is a very slight chance that there may be a link to the amount of alcohol consumed before & during posting.
With a view to proving this theory, I have selflessly devoted many hours to drinking excessively before posting but the results have been inconsistent however do not despair as I will continue my research until I have reached a definitive conclusion.

Les303 is most indignant at the suggestion that he would accept a slab of VB

[/quote]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:26:29 PM by Les303 »