Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814642 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #660 on: April 22, 2018, 05:54:08 PM »

I rarely watch the show these days so i have not seen any of the latest series where i believe they actually have a woman playing the role of the doctor.

I think the new Doctor Who series with Jodie Whittaker playing the latest incarnation of the Doctor will start later in the year. September / October perhaps.

Among the best features of Doctor Who is the fact that it has a sense of humour.
Nor does it take itself too seriously - there are none of the ridiculous moralisings about (eg) 'the place of the human race in the Universe' that are all too common in certain other long-running sci-fi progs.

Just a bit surprised that " Morbius " has not contributed to this post (to) explain what was the inspiration for his " player's name".

He did, a couple of years ago.

https://theforum.lexigame.com/index.php/topic,3288.msg52389.html#msg52389

Of course, apart from being the hero of Forbidden Planet, Morbius was also an evil time-lord in Doctor Who.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:22:34 PM by mkenuk »

Les303

« Reply #661 on: April 22, 2018, 07:40:01 PM »
Your spot on as usual Mike, in particular I thought that the early shows were so lame that they were unintentionally  hilarious, but as the series evolved & production values increased, they purposely included a lot of clever humour which was always " tongue in cheek " & as you say, there was never any moralising, i thought it was easy to watch, fun to watch & every episode left you guessing how can the " Doctor " possibly save the Earth & the Universe ( once again ) from this new alien who has powers that seem unbeatable.
Of course the " to be continued " would always keep you coming back & invariably, with seconds to spare the Doctor & his sidekicks would manage to come up with a solution to save the universe.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 22, 2018, 08:12:14 PM »
Doctor Who fans probably know the BBC film An Adventure in Space and Time, which was made to mark the fiftieth anniversary of the programme. The film is a dramatised documentary which tells how the programme came about.
David Bradley (Filch, the Hogwarts janitor in the Harry Potter films,) plays William Hartnell, the first Doctor.

Here's the Wikipedia page about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Adventure_in_Space_and_Time

I can remember watching the very first episode 'live' on Saturday November 23rd 1963, a date that tends to stick in the mind due to the horrific events of the day before in Dallas, Texas.
Talking about the programme at school a couple of days later, the thing that most of us remembered was the music - electronically created music, the ancestor of 'technopop'!

Les303

« Reply #663 on: April 22, 2018, 08:18:32 PM »
I haven't seen that movie so I will have to check it out.

Obviously a Harry Potter fan ?

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 23, 2018, 03:27:31 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised whenTRex ( the last person i would of thought would be a sci fi fan )

???

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 23, 2018, 04:49:21 AM »

I watched every episode of the Dinner Ladies. I was addicted

I’ve also included a Dave Allen sketch where he has a go at Australians.  Shameful. :D]

I hope you didn't get a hangover from your late night  ;D

Oh Jack I've watched a lot of Dave Allen but never seen that before.  I laughed out loud - totally hilarious :laugh:  I loved the last bit about the sheep!
I'm re-watching Dinnerladies at the moment on one of the toot channels!
No hangover I'm happy to report.  I was driving.  Did enjoy a small glass of vin rose when I got home.
I enjoyed your joke about the Diggers.  I'm not exactly sure what a Digger is - a veteran I presume.  I love the very slight difference in our sayings & words :)
I was a bit slow over your s t r e t c h e d comment ??? sorry!
Mind how you go
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 23, 2018, 04:53:01 AM »

Gooday Pen, ( I don't care what time of day or night it is )
I hope that late night dinner was with a new male friend?

It's goodnight from me & goodnight from her.
Gooday Les
Sad to report that the dinner wasn't with a new male friend but one of my girlfriends!
& It's a goodnight from me too!
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 23, 2018, 04:59:16 AM »

I think the new Doctor Who series with Jodie Whittaker playing the latest incarnation of the Doctor will start later in the year.

My daughter is a huge Doctor Who fan.  Her particular favourite is David Tenant.  She's not overly thrilled with the new Doctor being a lady but she's keeping an open mind.
One of her favourite programmes is Star Trek with Patrick Stewart as Captain Jean Luc Picard

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 23, 2018, 10:28:16 AM »
I have always & still do love science fiction.
I think that i was drawn to it because of its unpredictability & that glimpse into possibilities to explain the unknown.
I could list all my favourite sci fi books, T.V. shows & movies but i would find myself in the same predicament as yourself in trying to list your favourite classic British comedy skits... there are just so many.

Since 8th grade, I've always read science fiction and fantasy, but haven't seen that many TV shows or movies, with the usual exceptions: Star Wars, Harry Potter, Star Trek, Dune, 2001, and a few others.  No one else in my family or circle of friends reads it, so I can't compare notes.  I find myself lurking in the science fiction section of the book store and striking up conversations with people there.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 23, 2018, 04:28:35 PM »
Gooday Jack,

G’day Les

{could} " Morbius " for the benefit of the newer forumites, explain what was the inspiration for his " player's name".

Mike has suggested 2 possibilities.  Wikipedia has a third

Morbius, the Living Vampire, a scientist named Dr. Michael Morbius PhD, MD, is a fictional character appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. Created by writer Roy Thomas and originally designed by penciler Gil Kane, the character first appeared as an antagonist in The Amazing Spider-Man.

I have always & still do love science fiction. I think that i was drawn to it because of its unpredictability & that glimpse into possibilities to explain the unknown.

You must have been a precocious child, Les.  I will admit you have become a multifaceted man.

I am not anti-science fiction, it is just that generally I prefer other genres more.  I think I watched every episode of Lost in Space.  Netflix is remaking it with a 2018 version.  I was never a trekkie but I enjoyed the first series of Star Trek.  I like shows about history and thought the Time Tunnel was an imaginative way of presenting it.

The quality of the series {Dr Who}, in every respect, improved enormously over the years.

I have no reason to believe this is not the case. I must watch some episodes so I am not condemning it out of blind prejudice.

I believe they actually have a woman playing the role of the doctor.

Good Heavens, Les, what is the world coming to?  Just because we applaud having woman professionals, soldiers, Prime Ministers and even Bishops in some denominations, who would have thought that a female Dr. Who would be possible?  They’ll be advocating for a woman Pope next. >:D

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:32:09 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 23, 2018, 05:46:21 PM »

Just because we applaud having woman Prime Ministers..........

You won't hear much applause from me for either of the two female PMs we have had in the UK

They’ll be advocating for a woman Pope next. >:D

Some would say there has already been one ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Joan

Les303

« Reply #671 on: April 23, 2018, 06:05:38 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised whenTRex ( the last person i would of thought would be a sci fi fan )

???

Gooday TRex,

I certainly meant no offence & I am not even sure how I came to that conclusion but for some reason I just assumed that you would be the type of person that would have little interest in science fiction, a genre that a lot of people do consider to be total nonsense?

Les303

« Reply #672 on: April 23, 2018, 06:31:41 PM »

Gooday Pen, ( I don't care what time of day or night it is )
I hope that late night dinner was with a new male friend?

It's goodnight from me & goodnight from her.
Gooday Les
Sad to report that the dinner wasn't with a new male friend but one of my girlfriends!
& It's a goodnight from me too!
Pen

Gooday Pen,

There are many much wiser men than me that are unable to explain the vagaries of life.
I had been deferring my apartment rennovation for a few years but finally bit the bullet recently & decided to go ahead with it but soon discovered that i was out of my depth & i needed some expert assistance.
Google offerred me countless options but i elected to go with a company that introduced me to Karen & the rest is history.

I am sincerely hopeful that one day soon, totally unexpected & out of the blue, you might be as lucky as i was & meet your new soul mate.

Les303

« Reply #673 on: April 23, 2018, 06:41:52 PM »

I think the new Doctor Who series with Jodie Whittaker playing the latest incarnation of the Doctor will start later in the year.

My daughter is a huge Doctor Who fan.  Her particular favourite is David Tenant.  She's not overly thrilled with the new Doctor being a lady but she's keeping an open mind.
One of her favourite programmes is Star Trek with Patrick Stewart as Captain Jean Luc Picard

I would have to agree that Tenant has probably been the best Doctor ..so far.
Star Trek is definetly my number one, i especially enjoyed the full length movies with the original cast, my favourite is the one when they travel back in time to capture a humpback whale from Earth.

Les303

« Reply #674 on: April 23, 2018, 08:01:55 PM »

I have always & still do love science fiction.
I think that i was drawn to it because of its unpredictability & that glimpse into possibilities to explain the unknown.
I could list all my favourite sci fi books, T.V. shows & movies but i would find myself in the same predicament as yourself in trying to list your favourite classic British comedy skits... there are just so many.

Since 8th grade, I've always read science fiction and fantasy, but haven't seen that many TV shows or movies, with the usual exceptions: Star Wars, Harry Potter, Star Trek, Dune, 2001, and a few others.  No one else in my family or circle of friends reads it, so I can't compare notes.  I find myself lurking in the science fiction section of the book store and striking up conversations with people there.

Gooday Birdy,

I enjoyed reading books & watching drama / crime / murder mystery shows on television but from quite an early age they became a bit boring as half way through the program or book, on most occasions,  I have already identified the " killer ".
Then I discovered science fiction, impossible to predict the outcome, how on earth can we possibly defeat these alien invaders who have powers that seem impregnable.

My first introduction to science fiction would have been " Day of the Triffids " which was mandatory reading at school. (yes, i did actually turn up occasionally ).

When all is lost & the human race is about to become extinct, our hero discovers that the triffids can be killed by sea water ... how can you predict that ?

PS

Looking forward to the latest remake of ' lost in space " as the previous effort starring William Hurt, Matt le Blanc, Gary Oldman etc... was very disappointing.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:04:34 PM by Les303 »