Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814198 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #630 on: April 17, 2018, 01:10:17 AM »
I'm working an 11 & a half hour day today.

You are a Trojan, Pen.  Back when I was employed they used to wonder if they could get me to work for an hour a day but I used to spend a lot of time there.  ;D

He has less than a week in London before choofing off to Rome for a week.  Probably going to tell the Pope where he has been going wrong.  >:D. He’s had plenty of practice with me.

Don’t work too hard!
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #631 on: April 17, 2018, 02:36:59 PM »

Nobody's biting, maybe they have gone off the bait.

Oh blimey if I had a brain I'd be dangerous! ???  Sorry I'm not keeping up.  You're the socially conscious, forgiving,  philanthropist Les!  Who'd have though it :laugh:
Loved your joke about the pub.  The old ones are sometimes the funniest.  Lesley Nielsen "don't call me Shirley!"
Penx

Pen, for someone who " can never remember a joke " you've done well to remind us all of what is surely a classic line.

I am afraid that in his enthusiasm, Ozzyjack may have inadvertently caused irreparable damage to the reputation of Astrology although on the other hand, he just might have created a surge of people who are now hurriedly researching their own birthdates to see what the Astrologists reckon about them.

Jack, you have well & truly earned the right to take a " poppy nap " anytime you bloody well feel like it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:39:42 PM by Les303 »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: April 17, 2018, 04:10:45 PM »
Quote from: Hobbit
With the aid of your table you'll know what time is best to ring him.

It was fun to put the table together, but I have to confess it is a low-tech solution that I would only use if I were not within easy reach of a computer, tablet or smartphone.

The easiest way to find out what the time is in another location on a one-off basis is to Google “what time is it in ‘aaaaaa’ " where, ‘aaaaaa’ is a reasonably sized city or can be also be a region or country.  I’ve tried Bletchley Park and that works giving the response
6:10 am
Tuesday, 17 April 2018 (GMT+1)
Time in Bletchley Park, The Mansion, Sherwood Dr, Bletchley, Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

and then the usual array of web sites.

Several of the web sites specified allow you to register and set up a personal list of cities which are displayed when you open the page.  Apart from the current time you can follow links to weather, events and a whole raft of information including details of daylight saving times.

The one I tried was TimeandDate.com . You can follow the “World Clock” link at the top of the page and then “Personal World Clock” link on the opened page to set up your own cities.  The following link jumps directly there Personal Clock.

Use is free and paid for by Ads.  There are also free apps available for tablets and smartphones.  You can get rid of the ads on these by upgrading for a small fee.  It was approximately $A5 for my IPhone.  You are allowed to have the upgrade on 6 devices for that price.

I am not recommending timeanddate because I have not tried the alternatives but timeanddate provided the functionality I needed.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:03:11 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: April 18, 2018, 04:41:04 AM »

He has less than a week in London before choofing off to Rome for a week.  Probably going to tell the Pope where he has been going wrong.  >:D. He’s had plenty of practice with me.

Don’t work too hard!
Pretty knacked after my long stint yesterday :(  Was relieved to get home at normal time today.
I have visions of your son standing below the balcony in St Peter's square haranguing the Pope :laugh: Do you just have the one offspring?
I do hope he's enjoying his trip.  It sounds quite tiring but totally amazing. He's going to have some great snaps.  Does he live near you?
Sorry I sound like the Spanish Inquisition! (Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition...)
Catch you soon Jack
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: April 18, 2018, 04:44:27 AM »

Jack, you have well & truly earned the right to take a " poppy nap " anytime you bloody well feel like it.
Les I keep meaning to ask you & Jack, what on earth is a "poppy nap"?  Is it the same as 40 winks?
Penx

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: April 18, 2018, 07:21:29 AM »
Several of the web sites specified allow you to register and set up a personal list of cities which are displayed when you open the page.

Some operating systems will allow you to set up multiple clocks (which can be labelled) for tracking different locations. I like having both the local time and UTC.

Les303

« Reply #636 on: April 18, 2018, 02:11:06 PM »

Les I keep meaning to ask you & Jack, what on earth is a "poppy nap"?  Is it the same as 40 winks?
Penx

Hi Pen, 40 winks, power nap, poppy nap, nanny nap or the one that i usually use, nanna nap ( regardless of the age or sex of the person that it is directed at ) all mean the same thing.
A nanna nap is usually a little longer than a power nap & a little less than 40 winks but beware as this innocent activity should only be attempted by experienced nappers.
The novice might plan to have a nap of about 30 minutes but that can easily turn into a deep sleep of 3 to 4 hours which ruins any chance of a decent sleep that night. :-Y

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: April 18, 2018, 08:32:35 PM »
Pretty knacked after my long stint yesterday.
My turn today.  Gym, Golf and a dog walk.  The weekly golf pilgrimage to Brighton Lakes on the edge of Sydney early tomorrow morning to look forward to.
Do you just have the one offspring?
No two.  Son lives in Canberra.  Daughter, Son-in-law and two grandkids live not too far from Les.
I do hope he's enjoying his trip.  It sounds quite tiring.
The beginning and end are particularly tiring.  The trip over on Monday included a 15 ½ hour leg from Sydney to Dallas Fort Worth.  We got a text yesterday to say he had arrived safely in New York,  On the return trip from Rome, he has to fly to Heathrow first to fly from London to Sydney.  Still, he is a very seasoned traveller, having made at least 3 holiday trips abroad as well as too many to count for work, so we have no worries about him coping.  On our first trip to Europe in 2004, he accompanied us to make sure we could cope.
Sorry I sound like the Spanish Inquisition!
I can’t picture you as Tomás de Torquemada.  You’re too nice and the wrong gender.
(Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition...)
I see you are a fan of Monty Python.  Me too.
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #638 on: April 18, 2018, 10:10:10 PM »
Oh Les we have crossed wires obviously!  You seem to have stopped all flirty banter with me which I thought was shame as we always had a laugh.  I'm delighted you've had a couple of dates with Karen.  Hope you haven't jeopardised the situation after flirting with her sister...
Penx

Karen & i continue to see each other on a casual basis that suits us both & that is a couple of times a week with one night at her place & the other at mine with the occasional night out on the town.
Intermingled with that are invites to her parents home where Kaylee & her mother put on a fantastic meal.
The flirting between Kaylee & myself continues but is so outrageous that no one takes it seriously.
I always bring a bouquet of flowers for " mum " , ( i still cannot pronounce her proper name & she insists that i just call her mum ) & a large bottle of Ozzo for the old man & a bottle of red wine for Kaylee.

As we leave Karen & i are are always loaded up with heaps of take aways & leftovers.

The first time that i went to Karens parents place for dinner, i did not really enjoy the meal, i'm still not sure what it was, some sort of goulash.
I think that her mother sensed that i had not particularly enjoyed the main meal but i definitely let her know how much i enjoyed the dessert which was baklava.

Needless to say, my take home dish was jammed pack full of backlava.

Pen,

I had been in a long term on /off relationship with Tanya for over 15 years.
A couple of years ago we made an amicable split as she elected to move back to Tasmania to care for her elderly parents.

That was about the time that i joined chi which my first interactive website.

I was blown away with all these lovely people that i was interacting with from throughout the world.

But for some reason, you always popped  up in the conversations & i felt that we had a connection.
Regardless of changing circumstances in my life & indeed in your life, i would like to think that we will always have that special connection.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: April 19, 2018, 04:28:29 AM »

But for some reason, you always popped  up in the conversations & i felt that we had a connection.
Regardless of changing circumstances in my life & indeed in your life, i would like to think that we will always have that special connection.

Les that's a smashing thing to say & I certainly can't argue with you.  Be good to know we always have a special connection.
I am really pleased that things are going well between you & Karen & her family. I love baklava :-H
Be happy & healthy Les
Penx

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: April 19, 2018, 04:36:09 AM »

I see you are a fan of Monty Python.  Me too.

I loved Monty Python Jack.  One of my favourites, which still makes me roar with laughter, is the dead parrott!
We are experiencing a very warm & sunny 25c here at the moment.  Almost unheard of in April.  Hopefully your son will feel properly at home :laugh:
Enjoy your golfing pilgrimage to Brighton Lakes.  Hopefully wont be such a tearing rush as your last golf trip!
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: April 20, 2018, 04:38:24 PM »
Pen,

I’ve been quite s t r e t c h e d but I’ve finally got my hands free from the rack, so I can reach the keyboard.

While we are about vintage British humour, I am reviewing a number of skits on YouTube to remember which my favourites were. I will reveal the outcome in due course.

Meanwhile, Column 8 in the Sydney Morning Herald has been running a series of Milliganisms this week. Some examples that tickled me:

"There is a TV skit where a man is struggling to swim in a lake. Spike and his wife are standing nearby and she says to him, 'Don't just stand there, do something!' So he starts tap-dancing."

"Harry Secombe was a corporal in WWII, in charge of an artillery gun. During a test firing, the gun went over a cliff. Harry found a pathway to the beach and, halfway down, found a radar trailer manned by one Spike Milligan. ‘Have you seen a gun going past?' asked Harry. ‘What colour was it?’ replied Spike.”

He was concerned “over the naming of Woy Woy, taken from the local Darkinjung people and meaning "much water". Apparently Spike wondered "which Woy means much and which Woy means water?"

“Spike was once in a country town with Harry Secombe when they came across a funeral parlour. Spike rang the bell, lay down on the floor with his arms crossed over his chest and called out ‘shop’”.

“In his book, Adolf Hitler, My Part in His Downfall, is a photograph of Spike and his father sitting on the back verandah each scoffing a beer. The caption reads ‘Dad and me recovering from the shock of the declaration of war, watching mum dig the air-raid shelter.’”
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:48:57 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #642 on: April 20, 2018, 06:10:51 PM »
Harry Secombe, Peter Sellers & Spike Milligan were called the goons, I thought they were bloody geniuses.

Scouser1952

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 20, 2018, 06:20:36 PM »
Don’t forget Michael Bentine!

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: April 20, 2018, 06:34:27 PM »
Les and Ozzyjack: on classic British humour, what did you think of Fawlty Towers? People seem to love it or hate it. When it first came out I found it too embarrassing to watch; twenty years on I enjoyed it - particularly The Kipper and the Corpse.