Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814084 times)

Les303

Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #615 on: April 14, 2018, 01:25:06 AM »
You’re not alone, Jack. I never found Tommy Cooper funny.

The two ronnies, morcamb & wise, tommy cooper etc... were all initially shown here exclusively on the ABC.
In our household the ABC was considered to be a very boring channel & was rarely watched.
It was only on my visits to Grandma's that i was introduced to these shows.
She absoloutely loved them, including tommy cooper & as a 10 to 12 year old, i also thought that his prop style of humour was hillarious.
I have to admit that after reviewing a " best of " tommy cooper tape recently, i struggled to raise a smile until i suddenly burst out laughing as one of Grandma's favoutite sketches came up.

All of a sudden i had a tear in my eye as i recalled Sunday night at grandmas, home made scones with lashings of jam & cream ( far more than we were ever alllowed at home )
Grandma had a peculiar laugh, when she laughed her whole body shook & for some reason it was the type of invectious laugh that once she started everyone else automatically joined in.

Absolutely full to bursting, cuddled up on the lounge with my head resting on grandmas thigh as we laughed together at the shannangigans of tommy cooper oblivious to the arguments that were going on in the background,i felt safe.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 14, 2018, 02:44:24 AM »
Aw Les, love this story! 😊

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 14, 2018, 06:31:55 AM »
A few weeks ago I was doing a bit of research on the Ford Edsel and came across the following statement

The Ford Motor Company lost $250 million[3] on the Edsel's development, manufacturing, and marketing. The very name "Edsel" became a popular symbol for a commercial failure. The last Edsel rolled off the production line on 19 November 1959.

I thought that was a coincidence because

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends is the blanket title for an American animated television series that originally aired from November 19, 1959

I wondered whether anything else of major significance happened on that day, so I googled the date and got this

What does my birthday November 19, 1959 mean?

Your birthday numbers 11, 19 and 1959 reveal that your Life Path number is 9. It represents selflessness, forgiveness and creativity. You are the philanthropist, humanitarian, socially conscious, and are deeply concerned about the state of the world.

I couldn’t think of anyone that fits that description.  Can anybody?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:16:03 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 15, 2018, 04:46:20 AM »
To misquote your Tommy Cooper, I didn’t sleep like a log because I didn’t wake up in the fireplace. One of the frustrations of getting older is that you don't have the inexhaustible energy that you once had.  Still, I am refreshed this morning and so off to breakfast to give me the energy to face an hour of torture in the gym at 8 O’Clock.

Sleep well, Pen
Good Evening &/or Morning Jack (I really must work out the time difference between us!)
You're a better man than me! It's great that you go to the gym & play golf.  My only exercise is walking!  I enjoy it but it's hardly strenuous!
I missed my daily dose of Chi yesterday evening as No 1 daughter & I went to the theatre to see Hairspray.  A good time was had by all.  It was our Christmas present to ourselves.  We originally had tickets to see Peter Kay but, unfortunately, he cancelled the whole tour so we had to have a plan B!
Think you're right about putting/lucky putts although I have to say that I don't much fancy the greens at Augusta :o
all the best
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 15, 2018, 04:55:17 AM »

Absolutely full to bursting, cuddled up on the lounge with my head resting on grandmas thigh as we laughed together at the shannangigans of tommy cooper oblivious to the arguments that were going on in the background,i felt safe.

That's a smashing story Les.  It's funny how something can suddenly provoke a happy memory from childhood.  We were talking about toasting marshmallows at work recently.  I remember snuggling up on the sofa with my Mum & Dad when I was about 5 or 6.  We always had a roaring fire in winter (no central heating) & we had an extendable toasting fork & made toast or toasted crumpets.  Always smothered in butter.  When I was 8 my parents took a pub & that was the end of my childhood to a large degree.  They were always working & busy & never had much spare time.  I was packed off to boarding school at 11.  I ran away several times but, unfortunately, they always took me back!! Long time ago now but some things you don't forget.
Love your stories Les
Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 15, 2018, 09:47:41 PM »

Good Evening &/or Morning Jack (I really must work out the time difference between us!)
You're a better man than me! It's great that you go to the gym & play golf.  

All you have to do, Pen, is add 9 to whatever O’clock it is. If it comes to greater than 12, take off 12 and toggle the am/pm. e.g. If it 8 pm in Bletchley, 8+9=17, 17-12=5. It is 5 am in Eastern Australia.  As an exercise, I will do you a table which takes into account daylight saving in each of our Countries. I will throw in the 4 major time zones in the USA and Thailand for good luck.

I would expect to be a better man than you, Pen, but not half the woman.  >:D Seriously though I need to keep at it.  I let myself go somewhat in my middle years.  Working too hard, the sedentary kind -not hard physical Yakka except for bending the elbow.  It is not easy but is paying dividends.

I noticed you were circumspect in not commenting on the astrological predictions of characteristics of someone born on 19 November 1959.  I originally addressed it to you but I thought some of usual suspects might like to chip in with a thought or two, so I generalised it.

I guess you can’t stop the beat after seeing Hairspray.

Hope you are enjoying your lunch.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 10:37:21 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 16, 2018, 04:45:49 AM »

All you have to do, Pen, is add 9 to whatever O’clock it is. If it comes to greater than 12, take off 12 and toggle the am/pm. e.g. If it 8 pm in Bletchley, 8+9=17, 17-12=5. It is 5 am in Eastern Australia.  As an exercise, I will do you a table which takes into account daylight saving in each of our Countries. I will throw in the 4 major time zones in the USA and Thailand for good luck.

I noticed you were circumspect in not commenting on the astrological predictions of characteristics of someone born on 19 November 1959.  I originally addressed it to you but I thought some of usual suspects might like to chip in with a thought or two, so I generalised it.

Sorry Jack I wasn't being circumspect.  I read it & then couldn't think of anything witty or insightful to say!  I do think it's a lot to live up to! Are you a cross between Richard Branson & Bob Geldoff? :laugh:  I am sure you are both selfless & forgiving.
I very much look forward the table telling me the times in the different countries.  If I've calculated correctly I think it is nearly 8am where you are now.  So you're probably in the gym pumping iron!!
Keep well & happy Jack
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 16, 2018, 04:57:49 AM »

Are you a cross between Richard Branson & Bob Geldoff? :laugh: 

Not me Pen. I was born in 1942.  Who else could I have been talking about?
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #623 on: April 16, 2018, 05:50:18 AM »

That's a smashing story Les.  It's funny how something can suddenly provoke a happy memory from childhood.  We were talking about toasting marshmallows at work recently.  I remember snuggling up on the sofa with my Mum & Dad when I was about 5 or 6.  We always had a roaring fire in winter (no central heating) & we had an extendable toasting fork & made toast or toasted crumpets.  Always smothered in butter.  When I was 8 my parents took a pub & that was the end of my childhood to a large degree.  They were always working & busy & never had much spare time.  I was packed off to boarding school at 11.  I ran away several times but, unfortunately, they always took me back!! Long time ago now but some things you don't forget.
Love your stories Les
Penx

I guess that how we are raised & the tribulations that we endure during childhood & through our teenage years are what ultimately define us.
Pen, you have shared some wonderful memories which I am sure that you will always cherish but being packed off to boarding school must have seemed very frightening & almost cruel in the eyes of an innocent 11 year old girl.

By the way ; where did your parents take the pub to?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:54:39 AM by Les303 »

Les303

« Reply #624 on: April 16, 2018, 06:00:36 AM »

Are you a cross between Richard Branson & Bob Geldoff? :laugh: 

Not me Pen. I was born in 1942.  Who else could I have been talking about?

Nobody's biting, maybe they have gone off the bait.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 16, 2018, 06:07:50 AM »

You can’t win them all.  ???

Couldn’t you sleep? :-Z
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #626 on: April 16, 2018, 11:25:14 AM »
We have all been working weird & wonderful shifts to accommodate our business needs for the Games.
I was impatiently waiting for my breakfast to cook before going to bed ( yes I have managed to master the new stovetop ) so i jumped onto chi to distract myself, what's your excuse?

Speaking of the Games, in general an overall success with the exception of both the opening & closing ceremonies.
You would have heard by now that within 30 minutes of the beginning of the closing ceremony (dominated by drawn out speeches from various officials, athletes & visitors began leaving the stadium & it was virtually empty by 1130pm, by midnight the only ones still leaving the stadium were staff & volunteers & station staff already had their mops out, preparing for business as usual from first services this morning.

I definitely do not " win them all " but it doesn't deter me, I just carry on regardless.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 16, 2018, 09:38:10 PM »
Quote from: Hobbit
I very much look forward the table telling me the times in the different countries. .  So you're probably in the gym pumping iron!!

Pen, I’ve attached the table as a PDF file.  You will have to click on it to bring it up.  One of the reasons I put the USA comparisons in was because our son is on his way to a 2-3 week holiday in New York, Boston and Washington DC before moving on to London.

I’m a bit past “pumping iron”.  My hour consists of 35 minutes Cardio (cross trainer, treadmill, and stationary bike), 15 minutes puffing, recovering and stretching and only about 10 minutes with the weights.   I do this on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Quote from: Les303
what's your excuse?

Les, when you get to my age, you sometime crib a “poppy nap” in the afternoons and so you don’t need so much sleep overnight.  Not much of an excuse is it? ;D
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 16, 2018, 11:20:31 PM »

Oh blimey if I had a brain I'd be dangerous! ???  Sorry I'm not keeping up.  You're the socially conscious, forgiving,  philanthropist Les!  Who'd have though it :laugh:
Loved your joke about the pub.  The old ones are sometimes the funniest.  Lesley Nielsen "don't call me Shirley!"
Penx

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 16, 2018, 11:28:26 PM »

Pen, I’ve attached the table as a PDF file.  You will have to click on it to bring it up.  One of the reasons I put the USA comparisons in was because our son is on his way to a 2-3 week holiday in New York, Boston and Washington DC before moving on to London.

Thanks Jack that's brilliant.  I'm working an 11 & a half hour day today :( so I'm breaking the afternoon up with a little visit to Chi.  Your son's holiday sounds amazing.  Will he be in London for long? Where does he go from there?  With the aid of your table you'll know what time is best to ring him (or not as the case may be!)
Mind you don't drop the weights on your toe Jack :laugh:
Pen