Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814671 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #585 on: April 08, 2018, 07:38:01 AM »
Just wondered if you're watching & enjoying the Masters

Hi Pen, Yes I am watching the Masters but about an hour behind real time.  We record the Foxtel broadcast for 3 reasons. We don't have to get up so early, we can fast forward through the boring bits - ads and the predictable interviews - and we can take a comfort break without missing any of the action.  Marc is doing well but I just saw him have a bogey which has dropped him relative to the field.  The conditions appear to be good and most of the top players are under Par.  Marc is a steady player - doesn't do much wrong but doesn't seem to have the streaky runs of birdies like Patrick Reed and Rory.  He comes across as a great guy and a great role model - Makes up for our cricketers  :D >:D.  Another young Aussie to watch is Cameron Smith.  His father is a golf pro and taught him well. He also has a great temperament.  Adam Scott and Jason Day are too far behind to be in contention.

The trouble with predicting golf  is that it is so hard to keep going below par and so easy to drop shots - ask Sergio.  It is totally unbelievable that he could hit five shots in the water on the one hole.  But nothing can take away from him that he won the green jacket last year.

Keep well, Pen, and keep posting.  I enjoy our conversations.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 07:42:12 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #586 on: April 08, 2018, 06:18:51 PM »
I am not a huge follower of golf but I will usually take a peek at the major tournaments particularly when there is an Ozzy or two involved who are given at least a remote chance to finish in the top ten.
Leishman deserves to win a major so i was very interested to follow his progress as well as that of young Smith but what really tweaked my interest in this years Masters was the backing for Tiger.
He was as short as 15 to 1 to win this tournament.
From what i have read, he has undergone radical back surgery which has him playing pain free & he has been showing glimpses of his best form although even in the lead up tournaments his odds were double what they were for the masters.

Jack, Pen & of course any body else that would like to offer an opinion ( particularly our mates from America ), what is your opinion of Tiger Woods, as a man & as a golfer?
My prediction is that  in the near future he will return to winning tournaments & at least one of those will be a major.

By the way, the kitchen reno is just about completed, problem is that i now have  all these fancy new European designed appliances (oven , cooktop , dishwasher , garbage disposal, microwave & even the bloody fridge has  computerised controls that i am struggling to try &  work out.
Surely it can't be that difficult so i threw a steak onto the pan last night & before i knew it i had burnt it to a crisp, just as well that i have Dominoes number saved in my contacts.
I think that next time, i will make sure that i am at least almost sober & make sure sure that i actually read the manual before attempting another cookup.

Of course i could have asked Karen to come over & show me the ropes but ever since i met her family we have had a bit of a problem.
Her parents are quite elderly & of Greek extraction with limited English & their other daughter Kaylee lives at home to care for them.
Mother was no problem, she instantly took to me & spent all night trying to encourage me to eat more & more treats.
Father was a bit more reticent & it was only when i feigned a bit of interest in the subject of soccer that he actually started to talk to me & when i showed him a picture on my phone of the recent Rinaldo scissor kick goal his eyes lit up & he even offered me an Oozo.
Kaylee also gave me a lot of attention, of course being the gentleman that i am, i did not want to offend so i flirted back accordingly... big mistake, big argument in the corridors between the sisters & i haven't heard from either of them since.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 07:14:25 PM by Les303 »

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 08, 2018, 08:31:55 PM »
Say no more.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 08, 2018, 09:03:08 PM »
Looks like a cross between a bounder and a cheater to me, Pat.

I was hoping we were going to improve.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 04:12:26 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 08, 2018, 11:47:27 PM »
what is your opinion of Tiger Woods, as a man & as a golfer?

As a golfer, in his day he was head and shoulders above his competition.  But he will never be that good again even though he is far from shabby and his example has raised the quality of his competition dramatically.  So, if you are betting on him winning another major, I wouldn't hold your breath.

As a man, I am not in a position to judge.  I have not been gifted with the magnetic charm and attractiveness to the ladies that you and he possess, Les, and so I have not been afflicted with the same temptations.  I will just say that I would not put him on the same level of admiration I have for Nicklaus, Palmer and Player or for most of the young guns coming through at the moment..  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 11:50:22 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 09, 2018, 04:27:17 AM »

The trouble with predicting golf  is that it is so hard to keep going below par and so easy to drop shots - ask Sergio.  It is totally unbelievable that he could hit five shots in the water on the one hole.  But nothing can take away from him that he won the green jacket last year.

Keep well, Pen, and keep posting.  I enjoy our conversations.

Poor Sergio my heart went out to him.  The reason I like & admire him so much is that he a fantastic Ryder Cup golfer.  As are most of the Europeans - they always seem to play as a team.  Was so pleased when he won the green jacket last year.

You keep well too Jack.  I very much enjoy our conversations.  Sadly I think I must have offended Les in some way.
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 09, 2018, 04:37:32 AM »

Jack, Pen & of course any body else that would like to offer an opinion ( particularly our mates from America ), what is your opinion of Tiger Woods, as a man & as a golfer?
My prediction is that  in the near future he will return to winning tournaments & at least one of those will be a major.

Kaylee also gave me a lot of attention, of course being the gentleman that i am, i did not want to offend so i flirted back accordingly... big mistake, big argument in the corridors between the sisters & i haven't heard from either of them since.

Tiger Woods was undoubtedly an amazing golfer.  Not much of a man in my option.  He treated his wife abysmally.  I'm with Jack there are many more golfers whom I admire much more as both a sportsman & man. Particularly Jack Nicklaus, Nick Faldo (who had a lady caddy called Fanny! for some reason that tickled me!) & not forgetting the late great Seve Ballesteros.
Glad your kitchen is almost finished.  As long as the fridge keeps the beer cold that's all that matters surely? >:D
Sounds like you got into hot water with the sisters! :laugh:
Penx

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 09, 2018, 04:39:37 AM »
Say no more.
Hilarious Pat & very apt!
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 09, 2018, 04:57:49 AM »

Sadly I think I must have offended Les in some way.

No, the boot might be on the other foot.  Unlike Tiger, he may be too honest to flirt with two women at once.  I suspect he'll be back with his tail between his legs.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:00:18 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #594 on: April 09, 2018, 05:46:46 PM »
Say no more.

I'll bite... but I will have a bit more to say.

The actions of the Australian cricket team in South Africa are indefensible, their attempts to alter the condition of the ball to gain an unfair advantage have quite rightly been labelled as nothing more than cheating.
At least the players involved have admitted their crime, taken full responsibility, shown genuine contrition & accepted without appeal, their very severe punishments unlike the hierarchy of the ACB who are ultimately responsible for allowing the development of this poisonous culture in the Australian test cricket team.

Pat, the cheetah logo that you suggest for Australia could have been applied to any number of teams in previous years, including England in 2006.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxiBX6D4mxQ

If there is a silver lining, i think that the outrage caused in Australia & throughout the cricketing world by this blatant act of cheating will ensure that no player from any test playing nation will be attempting to tamper with the ball in the future.

At the same time, I do stand by what I said in an earlier post & that is that ball tampering, appealing for a catch that hasn't quite carried, appealing for a close run out when you know the batsman is safe, appealing for an LBW when you know that you pitched outside the line or that the ball is clearly going down leg side or appealing for a catch behind when you know damn well that the batsman has not nicked the ball.
These practices are rampant in grade, club & shield cricket where there is little or no camera coverage & less experienced umpires can be influenced by a raucous appeal as well as heckling from the crowd.
Is this cheating or just part of game, of course it is bloody cheating, if you know that someone is not out then you should not be appealing in an attempt to " fool " the umpire.
This needs to be addressed from the grassroots level & kids need to be taught that it is more important to play an honourable & fair game rather than the " win at all costs " attitude that seems to over ride everything these days.

Each of the major test playing nations have their icons & heroes from bygone eras & i think that all cricket fans love the way that the game used to be played.
It was the gentleman's game, the determination to win was always there but it was played with true sportsmanship, sure there was sledging but it was always light hearted & usually comical unlike the vitriolic & personal rubbish that the likes of Warner have been producing in recent years & it was common practise that even after the umpire had raised his finger & a batsman was walking of the field, the opposition captain, after talking to the fielder, would recall the batsman & explain to the umpire that the catch never carried.

It is my sincere hope that this incident which has been a huge embarrasement for all Australians, will be the catalyst that inspires all nations to revert to playing the game in the same spirit that our icons & heroes from years ago always did.

Les303

« Reply #595 on: April 09, 2018, 06:38:18 PM »
what is your opinion of Tiger Woods, as a man & as a golfer?

As a golfer, in his day he was head and shoulders above his competition.  But he will never be that good again even though he is far from shabby and his example has raised the quality of his competition dramatically.  So, if you are betting on him winning another major, I wouldn't hold your breath.

As a man, I am not in a position to judge.  I have not been gifted with the magnetic charm and attractiveness to the ladies that you and he possess, Les, and so I have not been afflicted with the same temptations.  I will just say that I would not put him on the same level of admiration I have for Nicklaus, Palmer and Player or for most of the young guns coming through at the moment..  

Obviously, I am also in no position to judge but as Tiger was / is a world wide celebrity then we are all entitled to have our opinions.
I can remember seeing him on television as a seven or eight year old, holing 30 foot putts for the camera & exclaiming that he would become the number one golfer in the world.
As we all know he did achieve that goal & put such a gap on his opposition that for a period,  he was virtually unbeatable.
This won't be a popular view but i do have some empathy for him.
Ok , he is married but he is a young man making millions & millions of dollars a year, constantly travelling the globe, usually alone & so ensured that he was accommodated at every location.
I'm not condoning that behaviour but can understand how someone might succumb to that sort of temptation & of course the misses did end up with some ridiculous settlement amount in the multi millions.

I stand by my assertion that he will win tournaments in the near future & i reckon that he will win another major before he retires, i just hope that i pick the right one to back him in.

Les303

« Reply #596 on: April 09, 2018, 06:55:42 PM »

[/quote]
Poor Sergio my heart went out to him.  The reason I like & admire him so much is that he a fantastic Ryder Cup golfer.  As are most of the Europeans - they always seem to play as a team.  Was so pleased when he won the green jacket last year.

You keep well too Jack.  I very much enjoy our conversations.  Sadly I think I must have offended Les in some way.
Pen
[/quote]

Oh Penny, why on earth would you think that you have offended me?
I have for various reasons been off line quite a bit in recent weeks so is there is something that i have missed?

I actuallly thought that i may have inadvertantly offended you by being open & honest when sharing that i had a couple of dates with Karen?

Sergio is a legend, a magnificent player so i don't understand why after his first shot lobs in the wrong spot on the green & rolls back into the water, he does not make the slight adjustment that he is very capable of doing but continues to place the next four shots on exactly the same spot for exactly the same result?

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 10, 2018, 12:26:48 AM »
Oh Les we have crossed wires obviously!  You seem to have stopped all flirty banter with me which I thought was shame as we always had a laugh.  I'm delighted you've had a couple of dates with Karen.  Hope you haven't jeopardised the situation after flirting with her sister...
Penx

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 10, 2018, 01:53:54 AM »
Pat, the cheetah logo that you suggest for Australia could have been applied to any number of teams in previous years, including England in 2006.

I know. It was a joke. England are just as capable of cheating as anyone else.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 10, 2018, 03:49:07 AM »
I know. It was a joke.

And a very good joke it was. Nudge, nudge,wink, wink, say no more.

But, of course, I will.  One of the traditional Aussie qualities I love and which I fear we may be losing is the ability to have a good laugh at ourselves. We should remember before we get too thin skinned about our peccadilloes that this country was founded on a class of migrants who weren’t entirely pure of heart.
Regards, Jack