Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814691 times)

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #570 on: March 29, 2018, 10:07:20 PM »
Sadly the fans also have to suffer the consequences.

And sadly, the non-fans are suffering as well, the other day there were 6 pages of it in the Age, today 2, but 10 minutes of  the ABC 7pm news and then the next program was interrupted to show a tearful (Smith or Warner?) press conference on their arrival home.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 30, 2018, 03:04:11 AM »
Thanks Jack.  So long as he's ok.  Love that - too busy to scratch himself :laugh:  You'll have to let me have a few more.
Darren Lehmann is getting a bit of a hard time in the press here at the minute.  ,,,, They'd all be better off keeping their heads down for the moment.

Pen, I’m sure he is OK unless he is allergic to hard work.  >:D  

I am not sure what Les is going to put in his quiz, so I had better restrict my “Aussieisms” for the time being.

Lehmann has now announced that he is going to retire after the fourth test so that should cool things down a bit,  I agree that the best thing now is for all of them to keep as low a profile as possible.  The papers will soon get sick of saying the same things repeatedly.  I detect even now the Aussie press seem to be coming to the opinion that they stuffed up, the punishment more than fits the crime and so let them redeem themselves over time.

There is also a feeling that the principles of fair play in Australian teams have been going down hill for many years unchecked and it is time to get back to the spirit with which Gilchrist played the game.

Cricket Australia seem to be determined to do something about it.  In an email that I (and many others) received yesterday morning from James Sutherland, CEO Cricket Australia, he wrote

"As mentioned in my email to you this morning, Cricket Australia will also initiate an independent review into the conduct and culture of our Australian men’s teams as an important step in rebuilding and reestablishing your pride in Australian cricket. Further details will be announced shortly and we will keep you updated on the review as it progresses.

I would again like to take the opportunity to express our appreciation for the feedback we have received from the Australian public. We recognise the damage this incident has done to the integrity and reputation of Australian cricket and we are committed to doing all we can to restore your faith in the men’s team and the game".
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 30, 2018, 05:33:39 AM »
Oh Jack that's hilarious :laugh:  Did you get it out of your paper?
Adam Gilchrist & all his team mates were fantastic.  2005 Ashes series here in the UK was one of the best, most thrilling ever. There's a brilliant picture I can recall of Freddie Flintoff & Brett Lee which sums up the spirit in which it was played. England were probably helped a bit by Glen McGrath's stupidity in falling over a ball!  I'm sure that normal service will soon resume in Aussie cricket.
Do hope Les isn't overdoing it >:D
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 30, 2018, 06:28:19 AM »
Oh Jack that's hilarious :laugh:  Did you get it out of your paper?

No, it was emailed to me by a friend. I don’t know where he got it from.
Regards, Jack

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 30, 2018, 10:42:50 AM »
Re the ball tampering controversy:  Yes, Pat is quite right to say that this is cheating plain and simple and those responsible need to be held to account.  What's interesting to me is the discrepancy between the penalties handed down by the ICC and those imposed by Cricket Australia.  The ICC suspended Smith for one match, Bancroft got a fine and Warner wasn't sanctioned at all.  By contrast, Cricket Australia suspended Smith and Warner for 12 months each and Bancroft for nine months.  The severest penalty I've been able to find in previous cases is a two match suspension.  Cricket Australia's penalties seem disproportionate by comparison, even allowing for the fact that this particular case involved premeditation which puts it at the more severe end of the scale.  I wonder whether we've all overreacted.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 30, 2018, 11:58:36 AM »
Re the ball tampering controversy:…….  I wonder whether we've all overreacted.

I think we have.  I can see why this is important for Australians particularly those who equate sporting reputation with how we are regarded internationally and by ourselves as a people.  I would prefer that we put as much emotion and vigour into campaigning against Government decisions that are trashing our international reputation as an independent, open and fair nation, particularly in the areas of human rights and who shoulders the burden of taxation.

However, if you are interested in the reasons for the reaction of Australians to the ball tampering controversy I would recommend two excellent analyses from Sydney Morning Herald columnists.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/what-the-ball-tampering-crisis-says-about-us-20180328-p4z6qw.html

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/why-all-of-australia-must-own-the-ball-tampering-scandal-20180328-p4z6s2.html
Regards, Jack

Morbius

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 30, 2018, 06:54:59 PM »
Thanks Jack.  I think the columnists are right about the cultural importance of cricket and of sport in general in Australia.  We have certainly turned a blind eye to some pretty unsavoury behaviour by our cricketers in recent years.  Perhaps this will be a watershed moment for our cricket team - I hope it will be.  Now that Darren Lehmann has resigned as head coach, I think Justin Langer is the ideal person to build the kind of culture we can be proud of.   

Les303

« Reply #577 on: March 31, 2018, 08:33:26 PM »
Due to a number of personal issues, I have been off line for a couple of weeks.
After reviewing some recent posts, i am glad to see that i haven't missed out on anything especially exciting.

However I did notice that there have been a few comments about the ball tampering incident in South Africa, hardly anything new.
Shining one side of the ball to hopefully make it swing, has always been part of the game.
The only way to legally do this is by vigorously rubbing one side of the ball on the inner thigh of your whites.
I can remember playing junior cricket & being given tips by the senior players of various other methods " to rough up one side of the ball " just make sure the umpire doesn't see you. "
I can attest that this practice ( carried out by both sides ) continued through grade & club cricket & although i never reached the heights of playing shield cricket for my state, i have it on good authority that the practice continued through to that level, as camera coverage was non - excistent or at best very limited it was easy to get away with & was just accepted as part of the game.

There have been many very high profile players from several countries that have been found guilty of the same offence in international matches.
Their punishment was generally to be suspended from their next game & to pay a fine which would be a percentage of their match payment.
So why have the Australians been punished so severely. ( or, in the opinion of some, not severely enough )
Australian cricketers & Australia as a nation have always prided themselves on playing hard but fair so from that   high moral ground we have alwayys been the first to condemn other nations that have been caught ball tampering.
In my opinion, the punishments incurred are excessive for the actual offence committed, however having said that, i do feel that the punishments are entirely appropriate when you consider the irrepairable damage that has been inflicted not only on the Australian cricket team but the reflection that puts on Australians in general.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 02, 2018, 08:59:49 PM »

Does anyone miss Les?  I didn’t think it possible but I do!  So I wrote a little poem for him

Les303 of the Overworked
I had written him a letter which I had, for want of better
sent to Queensland Rail where his work was normally shirked,
He was brash and ebullient when I knew him, so I sent the letter to him,
Just ‘on spec’, addressed as follows, ‘Les303, of The Overworked’.
And an answer came directed in a writing unexpected,
(And I think the same was written in a boozy Brisbane bar)
’Twas his drinking mate who wrote it, and verbatim I will quote it:
‘Les has suddenly gone Conscientious, and we don’t know where he are.’

In my wild erratic fancy, visions come to me of Les being chancy
As a result of being overworked, distracted and trying to be fancy
Because we know it’s hard to serve your nation
When you are in the middle of a renovation
Even if you think you’re getting the best advice
From someone you consider to be very nice
But you need to come back to make up the quorum
with your very good friends at the Chihuahua forum
where even when things seem to get out of whack
you’ll always have Hobbit at your back
And Mkenuk to teach you
And Pat to impeach you.
And Yelnats your mistakes to expose
And me to get up your nose
And so, we will all slowly burn
Awaiting your return
Because we know you won’t be a Burk
When you finally recover from overwork

My very sincere apologies to Banjo Paterson

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 03, 2018, 04:20:06 AM »
Absolutely brilliant Jack!  I love it :)
& yes I have missed Les.  Far too quiet!
Pen

Les303

« Reply #580 on: April 05, 2018, 12:27:21 PM »
Brilliant indeed, very clever very funny & even has a ring of truth, I reckon Banjo would be very proud.

Les303

« Reply #581 on: April 05, 2018, 06:00:29 PM »
.They can’t move – they can only look forward. Between A and B is a brick wall which is completely opaque (they absolutely can’t see through it). They are all aware that each of them is wearing a hat, and that two of them are wearing a black hat, and two of them are wearing a white hat. They don’t know what color THEY are wearing. However, each of them DOES know where the other three are buried.
In order to avoid being executed, one of them must call out to the executioner the color of their hat. If they get it wrong, everyone will be shot. They can’t talk to each other and have only 10 minutes to figure it out.
After 60 seconds, one of them calls out.

QUESTION: Which one of them calls out? How can he be certain he knows the color of his hat?

This is not a silly trick question.
There’s no outside influence and no other way of communicating.
They can’t move and are buried in a straight line; A and B can only see their respective sides of the wall, C can see B, and D can see B and C.

Want the answer?

Scroll down…

A bit further…..

Here’s the answer:

C calls out that he is wearing a black hat.
He’s 100% certain because D can’t answer, and neither can A or B.

D can see C and B, but can’t determine his own hat color. B can’t see anyone and also can’t determine his own hat color. A is in the same situation as B, where he can’t see anyone and can’t determine his own hat color.
Since A, B, and D are silent, that leaves C. C knows he is wearing a black hat because if D saw that both B and C weer wearing white hats, then he would have answered. But since D is silent, C knows that he must be wearing a black hat as he can see that B is wearing a white hat.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:39:03 PM by Les303 »

Les303

« Reply #582 on: April 05, 2018, 07:16:27 PM »
Sorry about that but the illustration was supposed to be at the top of the post & it was also supposed to be referenced to a post from weeks ago about hats.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 06, 2018, 12:46:48 AM »
Sorry about that but the illustration was supposed to be at the top of the post & it was also supposed to be referenced to a post from weeks ago about hats.

Les,
Pat or Yelnats and perhaps many others can explain better than me the technical details of the steps you should have taken to achieve the results you wanted.  But I'll have a stab at it because I had the same problem in a previous post and it took me ages to work it out.

If you use the Attach sub feature in the Additional Options feature the item you want to attach will always come out at the bottom of the post.  To get it to display in the place you want it, you have to use the Insert Image feature which is the second button from the left in the row above the emoticons row and put the URL of the image you want between the img  /img which are in square brackets, thus

Then you add your text (by omitting the first sentence you made the problem a little harder to understand), thus

Shown above are four men buried up to their necks in the ground. They cannot move, so they can only look forward. Between A and B is a brick wall which cannot be seen through.

They all know that between them they are wearing four hats--two black and two white--but they do not know what color they are wearing. Each of them know where the other three men are buried.

In order to avoid being shot, one of them must call out to the executioner the color of their hat. If they get it wrong, everyone will be shot. They are not allowed to talk to each other and have 10 minutes to fathom it out.

After one minute, one of them calls out.

Question: Which one of them calls out? Why is he 100% certain of the color of his hat?

This is not a trick question. There are no outside influences nor other ways of communicating. They cannot move and are buried in a straight line; A & B can only see their respective sides of the wall, C can see B, and D can see B & C.

Then you can present the answer as you have done scrolled out of sight.

C calls out that he is wearing a black hat. Why is he 100% certain of the color of his hat?

After a while, C comes to the realization that he must answer.

This is because D can't answer, and neither can A or B.

D can see C and B, but can't determine his own hat color. B can't see anyone and also can't determine his own hat color. A is in the same situation as B, where he can't see anyone and can't determine his own hat color.

Since A, B, and D are silent, that leaves C. C knows he is wearing a black hat because if D saw that both B and C were wearing white hats, then he would have answered. But since D is silent, C knows that he must be wearing a black hat as he can see that B is wearing a white hat.

Finally use the Preview Feature  to ensure everything is as you want it to be before pressing Post.

I think there ought to be a better way to present the solution by hyperlinking to it, but I have not been able to work out how to do it#.  Perhaps one of our experts can help us out;

# I couldn't find a URL that just had the solution in it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:06:24 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 08, 2018, 04:59:04 AM »
Hi Jack.  Just wondered if you're watching & enjoying the Masters? I haven't got Sky TV so I only get to see the highlights but I do love watching it.  A friend went to the bookies on Wednesday to place his usual bet on Justin Rose to win.  Knowing I'm a bit fan he very generously put £5 on Sergio Garcia to win on my behalf.  His money sadly disappeared on the 15th hole yesterday :(  At the time of my writing this Marc Leishman is sitting in a good spot.
Pen