Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814267 times)

Les303

Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #540 on: March 21, 2018, 06:21:55 PM »
When I first joined this forum, Alan just happened to be in the process of addressing a backlist of word suggestions about words that I had never even heard of, so for me, that quickly became a little bit boring.
I also sensed that forumites posting on other topics felt that they had to be 100% correct in every detail from their grammar to the tiniest point in their comment because if they were not, any shortcoming would be quickly pounced on which would cause them some embarrassment so rather than take the risk, I reckon that a lot of forumites who would have liked to have contributed, decided to take the safe route & remain mute.
While familiarising myself with players on the scoreboard, mainly just to see where they came from, i remember clicking on one players name ( i can't remember who it was ) but in her general comments she said how much she enjoyed the game but beware of the cliches in the forum.
Well i took no heed of that warning & went at it like a bull at a gate, i made countless mistakes, & i'm still making them,  my grammar was pathetic & it still is, i've upset some individuals & i continue to do so (mostly unintentionally ), I've made a complete fool of myself on multiple occassions (surely that will never happen again )
, I've even been known to disagree with & upset the administrator (surely that will happen again ) but through all of that my intention has always been to simply inject a little bit of humour & to encourage other players to participate in forum knowing that if they do make a little mistake it will be irrelevant when compared to the major stuff ups that Les has posted.

Just curious as to why no one asked me exactly how I would alter your gardening processes to make that activity less vigorous than shagging?

Les303

« Reply #541 on: March 21, 2018, 07:21:49 PM »
Well, I do love you Jack, I love your sense of humour but even more I love your sensibility, even when listing the participants in this thread, you took the time to do it alphabetically so that no one would feel that were being " rated " & if I did suddenly disappear ( only to reappear in somewhere like..i don't know... maybe Buckingamshire. ) you would easily slip into the role of kingpin of this thread.

I'm glad that I give you the shits occasionally because throughout my life, I have had many "so called " friends.
I had good times with them all, for various reasons i also upset some, they upset me, we had arguments, disagreements & on a couple of occassions fair dinkum fist fights. (some stories to be told there at a later date )
But the true friend always stuck by me  & was there when i needed him / her.

Jack, i only know you from being on line but i consider you to be a true friend.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 21, 2018, 08:54:01 PM »
if I did suddenly disappear ( only to reappear in somewhere like..I don't know... maybe Buckinghamshire. ) you would easily slip into the role of kingpin of this thread.

If you did disappear, I would be wise enough not to try to fill shoes that would be too big for me.  I would start my own thread called JACKASS  :D.  I can't imagine why you would find yourself in Buckinghamshire but if you did I know a wise, lovely Lady there who could really sort you out!!

Jack, i only know you from being on line but i consider you to be a true friend.

Thanks, Mate.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:00:30 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 22, 2018, 06:42:56 AM »

If you did disappear, I would be wise enough not to try to fill shoes that would be too big for me.  I would start my own thread called JACKASS  :D.  I can't imagine why you would find yourself in Buckinghamshire but if you did I know a wise, lovely Lady there who could really sort you out!!

Oh Jack what a smashing thing to say.  I would like to say that I too consider both you & Les to be true friends.
My life has definitely improved with this thread!  Cheers me up no end!
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 22, 2018, 06:44:53 AM »

Just curious as to why no one asked me exactly how I would alter your gardening processes to make that activity less vigorous than shagging?
Les I was going to ask that question but you didn't give me chance!!
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 22, 2018, 06:52:00 AM »
After an extensive search I could only find one fairly recent picture from a holiday 2 or 3 years ago.  It's not brilliant but it's the only one I could lay my hands on.
Pen

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 22, 2018, 09:52:57 AM »
Just a quick thanks to Ozzyjack and 2dognight: I didn't know about Temptation of Forgiveness coming out, and haven't read any Martin Walker, so will investigate both.

Other people's views on sex: I had the same thoughts on the comparative levels of calories burned as some others. But it reminded me tangentially that some years ago I got invited onto a health monitoring programme for people in their 50s, which started with a battery of physical and mental checks. One set of questions was on participants' sexual history and included a question on the number of sexual partners one had had. During a lull when waiting for the next set of tests, one woman said to another "And that question about sexual partners! Well!" The other mused "Yes ... it's difficult to remember once you get into double figures, isn't it." I don't think that was what the first woman was thinking of, somehow.

Les303

« Reply #547 on: March 22, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »
After an extensive search I could only find one fairly recent picture from a holiday 2 or 3 years ago.  It's not brilliant but it's the only one I could lay my hands on.
Pen

bit barmy, but beautiful ... bloody bottler.

jane@manutd

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 23, 2018, 07:54:42 AM »
Well at least now I’ve got a face to the name I can look out for you when walking down Queensway!!  ;)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 24, 2018, 07:20:05 AM »
Well at least now I’ve got a face to the name I can look out for you when walking down Queensway!!  ;)
Would be good to bump into you sometime Jane.  Just hope it's not when I'm at work in the hospital!
Pen

Les303

« Reply #550 on: March 24, 2018, 06:13:05 PM »
Pen,

All you have do is whip up a costume (i'm sure your daughter would give you a hand ) similar to the one that you posed for on your holiday.
Walking down Queensway in that get up & not only Jane but everyone else would see you coming from a mile away.

Can i ask where was the photo taken, was it Strasburg?

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 25, 2018, 06:42:23 AM »
Cheeky Humbug Les!!  Sorry I'm a very casual dresser when not in my standard work uniform!
The snap was taken not a million miles from Strasbourg in a place called Colmar.  It's in Alsace which is in France very near the German border.  It did belong to France originally but I think the Germans pinched it for a while back in the 19th century.  It was a smashing place for a holiday.
Pen

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 25, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »
I think the clue is in the advertising square that the cut-out is holding - 'Vitrines d'Alsace'; presumably a glazing firm.

Alsace is right on the German-French border and it's where Alsatians or German Shepherd dogs came from.

You're quite right, Pen. It's a lovely part of Europe, especially if the weather is good.

There - another topic for you - breeds of dog.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 25, 2018, 12:21:50 PM »
I was trying to put together some ideas to send to Les to consider if he develops his quiz on Australian Slang and Idioms and I was amazed at the number of times I came across words or phrases I thought were typically Aussie only to find they were imported, mainly from the UK.  I suppose I should have realised this would be the case as until about 70 years ago the bulk of our immigration came from the UK – some voluntary, some otherwise. 

Some examples:
All mouth and trousers – true blue aussie? No, the phrase originated in northern England

Gobsmacked - As if smacked (“hit”) in the gob (“mouth (Irish / Scottish gaelic)”). Attested since 1959, from Northern English dialect, particularly Liverpool, popularized via television.

Gobbledygook – Origin: 1940s (originally US): probably imitating a turkey's gobble.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 26, 2018, 05:34:01 AM »
I think the clue is in the advertising square that the cut-out is holding - 'Vitrines d'Alsace'; presumably a glazing firm.

There - another topic for you - breeds of dog.
Thanks Mike.  Know my schoolgirl French is a little rusty but for some strange reason I thought it was something to do with wine!  What a dingbat ???
I'd love a dog but we're out of the house at work for too long during the day.  Wouldn't be fair.  My sister has a miniature schnauzer which is very cute. My cousin has a cocker spaniel who seems to have boundless energy.  When she runs her ears wave around like flags & I just have to smile when I watch her.
Pen