Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 819259 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #525 on: March 17, 2018, 01:49:43 PM »
Yesterday’s Southern Highlands News had an article by Dr John Hewson which said many of the things I was going to say about Immigration but much more eloquently than I could have managed. So I have taken the lazy way out and reproduced it here, slightly abridged.

A bit of Background about Hewson. “John Hewson AM served as leader of the Liberal Party from 1990 to 1994. He was born in Sydney in 1946. He has a doctorate in economics from Johns Hopkins University and has degrees from the University of Sydney and the University of Regina. Hewson worked for periods as an economist for the Reserve Bank of Australia, as an economic advisor to the Fraser Government, as a business journalist, and as a director of the Macquarie Bank. He left parliament in 1995, but since then has remained a public figure as a business leader and political commentator, sometimes criticising both sides of politics.

I have met him a couple of times at charity golf functions and he seems to be a good down-to-earth bloke which might be why he got out of politics so early :D.

Bowral to the Sydney CBD is approximately 120 km(73Miles) and over 90% is (supposedly) freeway travel.

“On two occasions this week, leaving Bowral between 5.30-6am, it took well over three hours to complete the journey to the CBD. Sydney traffic is now gridlocked, and unbearable. Traffic congestion, along with other woes such as housing affordability, is the result of mismanaged planning policies.

However, not once during these elongated car park experiences did I think to blame the couple of hundred thousand migrants that arrived on our shores, Australia-wide, over the last 12 months. The 8 million tourists last year probably were a more significant contributor.

Similarly, I can’t “blame” the crisis in housing affordability on migration, although it has clearly added to the demand side of the problem.

Traffic congestion and the collapse in housing affordability are much more due to what have been poor and failed infrastructure, transport, housing, and planning policies over the last couple of decades.

The media this week has been saturated with stories calling for a longer-term population policy and the appointment of a Population Minister. I would say a strong YES to both. But, neither, in and of themselves, would make a scrap of difference to our current traffic and housing crises.

Similarly, calls for a significant cut in immigration, say a halving of the annual intake, won’t help our current crises much, but would work to stop us compounding the problems in the near term.

However, there is no doubt that much of our post WWII growth and development has been due to our very successful, largely bi-partisan, immigration policies, and our creation of the world’s most tolerant and effective, multicultural, multiracial, and multi-religious society stands as perhaps our greatest national post-war achievement, and the envy of the world.

But, having said that, it does need to be managed; it is a continuous “work in progress”. The approach must be holistic. It is not the level of immigration that is the problem, rather the failing to put in place the essential social and economic infrastructure, and appropriate planning, and integrated transport policies, that has created the problems.

Australia clearly needs a full, open debate about population and immigration. Unfortunately, there are some who would use this as “code” to pursue a racist agenda – you know, “nudge, nudge, wink, wink”, we are really about clamping down on say Muslim immigration, and the like. There should be no place for such sentiments and agendas in a mature, responsible debate.

A key element of a sensible population debate is population density. The density of Sydney and Melbourne is much, much less than in other major, global cities such as London, Paris, New York, Tokyo and Hong Kong. But again, the solution is not just more high-rise developments, but also better open spaces, integrated transport, adequate schools, hospitals, childcare facilities, and so on. This sort of planning has been inadequate, especially given divided responsibilities between state and local governments.

From the point of view of traffic, perhaps our greatest failing has been the inadequacy of our public transport system. The usual excuse is inadequacy of finance, but there are innovative financing alternatives that have never been pursued. So, we settle for more, but inadequate roads.

We can, and should, do better!”
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:13:46 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #526 on: March 17, 2018, 06:34:47 PM »
I think that I enjoyed this thread more when the topics were a bit more light hearted.

Les303

« Reply #527 on: March 17, 2018, 11:23:25 PM »
How about gardening ?
I reckon that this is a subject that would be dear to the hearts of many forumites,

"The best way to garden is to put on a wide-brimmed straw hat and some old clothes.  And with a hoe in one hand and a cold drink in the other, tell somebody else where to dig.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 17, 2018, 11:39:12 PM »
Perhaps you’re just trying too hard to keep the thread going, Les. Most threads eventually die a natural death but for some reason you’re determined not to let this one go.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 18, 2018, 06:28:45 AM »
I think that I enjoyed this thread more when the topics were a bit more light hearted.
I'm with you Les.  There's enough doom & gloom in the world & I like a bit of light relief at the end of the day.  Sorry perhaps I'm just an ostrich!
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Les303

« Reply #530 on: March 19, 2018, 11:52:02 AM »
Perhaps you’re just trying too hard to keep the thread going, Les. Most threads eventually die a natural death but for some reason you’re determined not to let this one go.

There is no doubt that this thread is barely surviving & is currently on life support.
With zero responses to my gardening suggestion, I was about to flick the switch but then I received the above post from Pat, which of course I must respond to, how ironic it would be if the post from Pat is the one that revives this thread because it has inadvertently led me to raise the very serious & controversial topic of euthanasia.

I am quite busy at the moment & pushed for time so will offer my views on the subject at a latter date & at some stage I will also update forumites on my recent visit with Joy.

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 19, 2018, 09:25:43 PM »
Oh, Les! A worthwhile subject, but you said you enjoyed the thread more when it was more light-hearted!

Les303

« Reply #532 on: March 19, 2018, 10:10:11 PM »
No matter how serious or sombre the topic may be, you can always make a joke around it, guess it just depends on my mood on the day & of course the longer I can keep this thread alive then the happier Pat will be.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 20, 2018, 06:44:21 AM »
How funny Anonsi :laugh:  Do both these activities burn off a similar amount of calories??  I would have thought that an hour of digging the garden would have been more vigorous &, therefore, burn off more calories than an hour of sex!  Perhaps there wasn't an option on the website to enter shagging as a means of burning off calories! Perhaps I'm getting a bit long in the tooth... ;D
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Les303

« Reply #534 on: March 20, 2018, 11:55:51 AM »
Anonsi, that was just hilarious.

Pen, I think that if somebody's gardening is burning off more calories than their shagging, then I reckon that they might need to review just exactly how they are performing one of these activities.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 20, 2018, 10:58:36 PM »
Les303 - There is no doubt that this thread is barely surviving & is currently on life support.

Les, I do hope you are wrong and I will expound on the reasons why when I consider a few quotes which point to you being right:.

1.   Alan W …there are a number of rules on the forum that I have given up trying to enforce. …,one is "start a new thread if you want to change the subject",

2.   Alan W -I don't think I can be accused of obsessing about where and how forumites post their comments, but there is a reason the forum is organised into boards and topics: to make it easier for people to find things and to follow the discussions they're interested in.

3.   Alan W - I would urge you, habitués of this thread, DO NOT TRY TO SET ANY RECORDS. By all means continue the banter if you like. But don't go out of your way to create a proliferation of posts and subject matter.

4.    Pat - Perhaps you’re just trying too hard to keep the thread going, Les. Most threads eventually die a natural death but for some reason you’re determined not to let this one go.

I make these comments on those points:

1.   Alan doesn’t enforce this rule, but it is obvious that he wishes people would obey it. And for the Central Categories: Word Games, Words, The Daily Quest, Say Hello, and This Forum, I wholehearted intend to respect Alan’s wishes and for my transgressions in the past, I apologise.

2.   I respect his tolerance and I think all forumites respect the need to make the forum the best it can be for the regulars as well as the newcomers we want to attract.

3.   We did the wrong thing in initially making a miscellaneous thread in a serious category. Alan kindly, or perhaps with considerable relief, acceded to the request to move the thread to the WHATEVER Category and gave it the title of More or Les (was Bloody Plurals) and that I believe is the single subject matter of the thread, irrespective of the sub-topics, jokes or banter we come up with.

4.   I agree with Pat that we should not go to extraordinary lengths to sustain the life of the thread.  But while there are people willing to contribute to the thread and people who feedback that they are enjoying the contributions there is also no reason to kill it off.

What makes me like this particular thread?

We have become a community.  The contributors 2dognight, Alan W, Anona, Anonsi, Auntiemo, Barbarism, Birdy, Blackrockrose, Calilasseia, Cmh, Hobbit, Jane@manutd, Les303, Linda, Mkenuk, Pat, Scouser1952, Trex, Valerie, Whisky, and last but not least, Yelnats, are a varied lot geographically and with a range of opinions.  But even when we disagree it is, reasonably, polite and respectful.  Most I would like to consider my friends and those I am not sure would want to be my friend, I respect.  We are not inclusive and would welcome new contributors.

The king pin of the thread as its title suggests is Les. Although he sometimes gives me the sh*** ,sorry, heebie jeebies with his obsession of trying to draw someone who is not amused into the conversation and talks me into undertaking a serious task and then tells me how to do it, I have a huge admiration for him and if he were to decide to walk away from the thread, it would quickly collapse, I wouldn't go so far as to say I love him as some of the other contributors have confessed but I like him a hell of a lot.

How can we improve the thread?

Pat, who is one of sharpest tools in the tool shed, has hit the nail on the head.
[
quote]
I don't actually read most of the posts in this thread, mainly because they're just too long to bother with.  Having said that, it's a thread obviously enjoyed by the people who do read and post in it and those who aren't interested can simply ignore it.
 [/quote]

So we should try to to keeps our posts shorter and more pithy – yeth I know I am probably the worst offender but I promise to improve,  This may encourage more people to contribute and appreciate.

But all of that is incidental because the real reason the thread should survive is in the words of the movie “the Castle”:“It's the vibe of it” ...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:02:47 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 21, 2018, 11:44:37 AM »
So we should try to to keeps our posts shorter and more pithy – yeth I know I am probably the worst offender but I promise to improve,  This may encourage more people to contribute and appreciate.

I do appreciate the irony of your long-winded post - with bullet points!! - about the need to have shorter posts.  :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 21, 2018, 12:06:13 PM »

I do appreciate the irony of your long-winded post - with bullet points!! - about the need to have shorter posts.  :laugh:

I know I am probably the worst offender but I promise to improve.

Touché.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 21, 2018, 01:41:12 PM »
Anona,

I see you are a Brunetti fan.  I have read them all and am looking forward to the next oneThe Temptation of Forgiveness (Commissario Brunetti 27) which I have on pre-order from Amazon to be delivered on 5 April.

I particularly like books with heroes who have a strong moral compass but a penchant for bypassing bureaucratic rules.  If you are the same, you might like to look at the series by Martin Walker about Bruno, Chief of Police.  A bonus in all are Perigord cooking tips and, in an appendix in some, a tourist guide to the Perigord.

Benoît Courrèges, aka Bruno, is a policeman in a small village in the South of France.  He’s a former soldier who has embraced the pleasures and slow rhythms of country life. He has a gun but never wears it; he has the power to arrest but never uses it.   Bruno balances his beloved routines—living in his restored shepherd’s cottage, shopping at the local market, drinking wine, strolling the countryside while undertaking delicate and sometimes complex investigations.
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #539 on: March 21, 2018, 06:08:18 PM »
I am also a great fan of Donna Leon and have The Temptation of Forgiveness on order. 

Martin Walkers The Templars' Last Secret is due on Friday

By the way of something whimsical I have enjoyed Vaseem Khans books

Carol