Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814524 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #495 on: March 14, 2018, 09:26:26 AM »
Re: immigration

There is a poem (technically, a sonnet) which concludes:
... "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

It used to describe the USA which is, of course, a land of immigrants. But I suspect the current resident of the White House never heard of it and would be surprised shocked if he knows where a plaque of it resides. (If he did, I suspect he and his ilk would want to remove the entire structure.)

In the 1980s, the majority of illegal immigrants were from Ireland. But there weren't widespread complaints because they looked like most Americans and spoke English reasonably well. But now the majority of illegal immigrants have a darker complexion and use a different language — so the children and grandchildren of immigrants who didn't know English are enraged. IMO, that is racism.

Les303

« Reply #496 on: March 14, 2018, 05:11:40 PM »
Have you heard the one about the racist who choked on Yogurt? He found out there was a foreign culture in it.

Les303

« Reply #497 on: March 14, 2018, 07:33:24 PM »
Immigration is of course a very serious topic.

In my opinion, Australia's intake at the moment is far to high, it should be severely slashed with priority given to genuine refugees who are under threat in their own countries.

Through lack of forward planning, our governments have failed miserably to provide the infrastructure required to keep pace with our growing population.

We are already experiencing major delays with the daily commute to & from work, we have ambulances ramping at hospitals for goodness sake & that great Australian dream of owning your own home has become a nightmare for the younger generation.

Put a brake on the immigration until our roads, public transport, hospitals, schools, housing affordability etc.. are able to cope.

In the past, Australia only accepted immigrants from a couple of dozen countries but all of those people, while they brought their own culture with them which truly enriched this country, all intrigated into the Australian way of life & abided by our laws.

As we were quite correctly derided for having a " white australia policy ", our immigration laws were broadened to include many Asian nations, still no problem because they also assimilated into the Australian way of life.

My biggest gripe with the current immigration system in Australia is that some people that are currently being given the privilege of living here, not only refuse to assimilate but attempt to challenge our laws & our way of life.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT HERE, THEN PISS OFF BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 14, 2018, 08:37:32 PM »

immigration was probably a significant factor in the Brexit vote.

I don't think there can be any doubt at all about that.
It was the only weapon in the 'leave' campaign's armoury.
In the three or four weeks before the referendum the same anti-immigrant message  was hammered home daily on the front page of every right-wing newspaper in the country - The Sun, The Telegraph, The Daily Express and especially the Daily Mail - the same Daily Mail that in the 1930s openly supported the Nazi Party in Germany and Oswald Mosley's Blackshirt movement in UK.
It culminated in the disgusting UKIP 'Breaking Point' poster (where a photograph of Bosnian refugees fleeing a war zone was used to back their sordid anti-immigrant propaganda) and the disgraceful lie that Turkey was about to be come a member of the EU.

The British have always been tolerant & welcoming

Many Brits are indeed tolerant and welcoming but it was hardly true of the skinhead thugs whose favourite pastime was persecuting Asians in the 1970s.
Nor of the yobs who were walking around on the day after the referendum wearing t-shirts with the message 'We've won, now f--- off back to Poland'.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:50:58 PM by mkenuk »

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 14, 2018, 08:49:31 PM »

It was the only weapon in the 'leave' campaign's armoury.

Not quite, Mike. Don't forget the blatant lie about how much more money would be available for the NHS, plastered across their buses. As far as I'm concerned it was an ugly campaign based on lies and racism, spearheaded by three obnoxious people: Farage, Gove and Johnson.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 14, 2018, 08:53:57 PM »
Indeed, but I wonder if anyone really believed that the Tory Party, which had been running down the NHS since Thatcher;s time, was going to significantly support the NHS.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 14, 2018, 09:15:53 PM »
Very doubtful, if anyone gave it considered thought. But the lie would have appealed to those people incapable of thinking for themselves and unable to see beyond racism.

I hasten to add that I'm not being critical of everyone who voted for us to leave the EU - far from it. Many people would have given the matter serious thought and, for whatever reason, decided that it was the best thing for the UK to do. It doesn't seem very likely at the moment, but those people could in the long term prove to be correct. My gripe is with those whose knee-jerk reaction caused them to vote for Brexit, and even more with the 28% of the voting population who couldn't be bothered to get off their backsides and cast their vote on such an important issue.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 10:25:24 PM by pat »

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 15, 2018, 01:42:31 AM »
" ... some people that are currently being given the privilege of living here, not only refuse to assimilate but attempt to challenge our laws & our way of life." (Les's "biggest gripe")

I'm with Les on this. Unfortunately,  I don't think Brexit will help solve this, one of our more worrying immigration problems from outside the EU.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 15, 2018, 06:44:50 AM »
You're absolutely right Anona.  I agree with you & Les on this.  Sometimes cultural & religious beliefs & laws are just too far removed. I hate having a conversation with somebody who is dressed from head to toe in black & all I can see is their eyes. 

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 15, 2018, 08:08:59 AM »
Have you heard the one about the racist who choked on Yogurt? He found out there was a foreign culture in it.

;D

Les303

« Reply #505 on: March 15, 2018, 04:40:47 PM »
Then there was the Chinese couple that had a black baby and named it sum ting Wong.

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 15, 2018, 07:18:37 PM »
Hobbit - only eyes visible: I agree with you and find it disturbing, too - although I haven't yet sorted out in my head the clash with how far we would allow personal choice of clothing of a less sinister type. (I probably haven't put that very well.)

I find the UK attitude to FGM pretty pathetic. Wikipedia has it that in the year up to March 2017 the NHS attended 9179 cases but that there were no prosecutions (c.f. France, who warns, prosecutes and convicts). Now, would (white) I have been prosecuted had I had this done to my (white) daughter?

Thinking about medically unnecessary circumcision of unconsenting male minors: perhaps, if we continue to do nothing, FGM will become as accepted a cultural practice as that is.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 15, 2018, 08:41:52 PM »
FGM is a crime. End of conversation.
There is no medical justification for it, nor is there any religious requirement, in Judaism, Christianity or Islam.

Why is nothing none about it?
Diplomacy.

You may have read in the news that UK is currently negotiating with Saudi Arabia a multi-billion deal for the sale of Typhoon Eurofighters.

Saudi Arabia is one of the leading practitioners of FGM. 

Les303

« Reply #508 on: March 15, 2018, 08:44:16 PM »
Alan , as you well know, the theme of this thread has evolved into changing topics at random so while I would normally create a new thread for my following word suggestion, I thought that I would post it here, just to ensure that you are actually following this thread & more importantly, you are monitoring the posts from ozziejack, which at times can be quite outrageous unlike mine which are always very sensible.

Anyway, the word that i am questioning is " indie " fromWednesday's standard game.
It came up as a common word with the definition of an independant publisher.
I feel that this particular abbreviation should be reclassified as rare.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:46:11 PM by Les303 »

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 15, 2018, 09:02:27 PM »
FGM is a crime. End of conversation.
There is no medical justification for it, nor is there any religious requirement, in Judaism, Christianity or Islam.

Correct. It’s an utterly unacceptably vile thing to do.

You may have read in the news that UK is currently negotiating with Saudi Arabia a multi-billion deal for the sale of Typhoon Eurofighters.

Saudi Arabia is one of the leading practitioners of FGM. 

Theresa May, for all the fine words she may have uttered about FGM, really doesn’t care. I once watched a documentary about a charity devoted to stopping the horrendous practice. This was while Theresa May was Home Secretary. The charity representatives had asked for an audience with May but got no reply so they went to one of her surgeries (for people outside the UK, MPs have one-to-one sessions with their constituents, which are known as surgeries for some reason). She was informed that they were there but refused to see them, then at the end of the day she left by the back exit so as not to encounter them. Not the actions of a woman who genuinely cares about the problem.