Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814688 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #480 on: March 12, 2018, 06:36:47 AM »

I think you made the right decision as I expect you will only get positive feedback from your photo.  You have a kind face and you obviously have a kind heart.

You're absolutely bang on Jack. 
Les you did the right thing in posting the picture. It's a great snap. I'm not brave enough to post a picture of myself.  Not only would I scare the small children but the wildlife too!

Jack I hope your funny bone isn't worn out :laugh:
Penx
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

jane@manutd

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 12, 2018, 07:41:37 AM »
Aww, that’s a great story Les 😊
Pen, get your picture up so every time I’m out in Bletchley or Asda I can keep my eyes open for you!

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 12, 2018, 08:40:00 AM »
Hi Jack

I have read 'The mailman of the Birdsville Track and thoroughly enjoyed will it

Will have get  'Growing up in Moonta'

Have indeed visited Moonta and the rest of the Iron Triangle. Good fishing and crabbing
in that area

Carol

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 12, 2018, 10:18:03 AM »
  Whoops that should be Cooper triangle not Iron

Carol

Les303

« Reply #484 on: March 12, 2018, 06:48:36 PM »

Aww, that’s a great story Les 😊
Pen, get your picture up so every time I’m out in Bletchley or Asda I can keep my eyes open for you!

I was quite surprised when I got a phone call this morning from the police, they were ringing to ask if it would be ok for them to pass on my phone number to Debbie ( the daughter of the lady that I had helped out a bit on Saturday ).
I am sorry but I don't think that would be a very good idea as the officers that I spoke to on Saturday told me that Ronnie (obviously Debbie's daughter ) had been involved in a fatal car accident.
It is correct that Ronnie was involved in a fatality.
She had taken her grandmother into the medical centre at about 9am for her regular annual check up & of course spoke to the staff to ensure that they would be keeping an eye on her & just to enquire how long she might be.
Well considering that ( Joy ) is going to be getting her new glasses as well as her updated hearing aides today, it will be quite  a while & of course she will be undertaking further tests to try to resolve that issue with the rashes & swelling on her ankles, in fact doctor will be doing an entire review of her medications so she will be lucky to be finished by 1130am but of course we will give you a call about 30 minutes before she is finished.
So Ronnie has a couple of hours to fill in & heads off to the DFO stores which are only about 20 minutes away.
Tragically, she is hit in a head on collision by a doped up young idiot driver on the wrong side of the road.
The driver of the offending vehicle died at the scene & Ronnie was rushed unconscious to the hospital.

Joy resides at a lovely nursing home in the suburb of Clayfield, her doting grandaughter lives in a suburb called Hamilton which is only 10 minutes away while Debbie & her husband ( Joy's only children ) live at Caboolture which is about 1 hour away so it is routinely the grand daughter that chauvers Joy around as required.
Given the chaos & concern about Ronnie's accident & hospitalisation, everyone had basically forgotten about Joy.
It was only when Debbie recieved a call from the nursing home, concerned that Joy had not been returned & had missed her evening meal that Debbie contacted police.

That's actually great news as i had been under the impression that the grand daughter had died in the accident so by all means do pass on my phone number to Debbie.
Sure enough i get a phone call this afternoon from an unknown number & take a punt as i answer " Gooday Deb, how you going?'
It didn't take Debbie too long to compose herself but as we got into serious conversation about what had occurred on Saturday, she lost it, couldn't speak & had to put Harold (her husband ) on the line.
Harold was very calm & clearly explained that Joy was absolutely fine, back in the comfort of her familiar surroundings at the nursing home & Ronnie is also doing pretty well although they are concerned about potential internal injuries & are desperately waiting for test results which won't come back until later in the week.
With all the hard stuff out of the way, Harold puts Debbie back on the phone.
Les, we are coming in to see mum on Sunday & would really love it if you could find the time to join us.
Instantly, i respond that i will meet you there at 10am.
As i hang up the phone i am thinking that i will definitley be bringing a big bunch of flowers but i will have to work out just how i can secrete a little packet of chocolate biscuits in there.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:55:43 PM by Les303 »

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 12, 2018, 07:03:52 PM »
  Les you are bloody wonderful

Love you to bits 

Carol

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 12, 2018, 08:24:26 PM »
I'm not brave enough to post a picture of myself.  Not only would I scare the small children but the wildlife too!

That’s more or less what Les said but he was brave and that turned out well.  Too misuse a proverb “what’s good for the gander is good  for the goose”.  But I wouldn’t want to talk you into anything that you were uncomfortable with.

Jack I hope your funny bone isn't worn out :laugh:

Pen, I woke up yesterday morning and I had completely lost my sense of humour.  I raced over to Bowral Hospital and they took an X-Ray.  The X-Ray showed a broken funny bone which I will fix with Photoshop.

Seriously though, it is probably time for “Less is More” from me.  Les has had several attempts at encouraging a greater number of forumites to interact more in this thread, which I fully support.  This objective is probably not helped by Les and I dominating the thread with a nonstop joke fest contest.  It may be fun for us but it probably annoys the shit* out of quite a few forumites who might contribute if we found some decent general topics to discuss – albeit occasionally with some humour thrown in,

Candid comments, please.

*This is an Aussie technical expression meaning “does not make them terribly pleased”
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:25:41 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 12, 2018, 08:51:01 PM »
Candid comments, please.

I don't actually read most of the posts in this thread, mainly because they're just too long to bother with. (The 'read' xxxx times would be more accurately reflected as 'opened' xxxx times.)

Having said that, it's a thread obviously enjoyed by the people who do read and post in it and those who aren't interested can simply ignore it.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 12, 2018, 09:00:48 PM »
What Pat said!  >:D

Les303

« Reply #489 on: March 13, 2018, 04:18:13 PM »

Pen, I woke up yesterday morning and I had completely lost my sense of humour.  I raced over to Bowral Hospital and they took an X-Ray.  The X-Ray showed a broken funny bone which I will fix with Photoshop.

Seriously though, it is probably time for “Less is More” from me.  Les has had several attempts at encouraging a greater number of forumites to interact more in this thread, which I fully support.  This objective is probably not helped by Les and I dominating the thread with a nonstop joke fest contest.  It may be fun for us but it probably annoys the shit* out of quite a few forumites who might contribute if we found some decent general topics to discuss – albeit occasionally with some humour thrown in,

Candid comments, please.

*This is an Aussie technical expression meaning “does not make them terribly pleased”

[/quote]

Contest...what contest?

Actually Jack, you do raise a valid point & a bit Less of Les would probably also be a good idea.

Speaking of contests, i would love to hear from any South African ( do we even have any South African forumites ? ) or indeed from any cricket followers regarding the suspension of Rabada for the rest of this current series.

In my opinion, Warner & de Kock should have both been immediately suspended for one game after their antics in the first test.
If that had occurred then this childish behaviour would have been nipped in the bud & the current scenario may never have eventuated.
The only loser here is test cricket, as fans will simply not put up with this rubbish & switch off.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 04:53:58 PM by Les303 »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 13, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »

Actually Jack, you do raise a valid point & a bit Less of Les would probably also be a good idea.

Les, I disagree.  My comment was a valid point only for me and only in relation to contributing several jokes a day (which was even starting to bore me).  I have no intention of NOT commenting on issues if I think I have something to contribute.

Your posts cover a range of issues apart from Jokes - life experiences, cricket, flirting with Pen etc and you have had plenty of feedback to suggest that they are appreciated by forumites.So don't change.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:54:33 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #491 on: March 13, 2018, 06:09:46 PM »
Ok Jack, since there doesn't seem to be much interest in my cricket question, I think that we should try to raise a new topic that other forumites might be willing to get involved in.

So, apart from constantly annoying ozziejune, what is your favourite pastime?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 13, 2018, 09:13:54 PM »
Ok Jack, since there doesn't seem to be much interest in my cricket question,

I think you are jumping the gun on this issue although you may be right.  Given the geographic dispersion of forumites and the fact that some are working (I believe some even work shifts) you need give 24 hours before you can judge a response rate and even that would assume they login every day.  Moreover, you targeted South Africans and the only South African forumite I am aware of is Gaye Christine who hasn’t been active since 2016.

I think that we should try to raise a new topic that other forumites might be willing to get involved in. 

So, apart from constantly annoying Ozzyjune, what is your favourite pastime?

I don’t want you to assume that because I ask, “how high?” on the way up every time I am told to jump that I am under the thumb.

My favourite pastimes are irrelevant because they are mainly parochial and pedestrian and so wouldn’t attract much discussion.

I haven’t had time to give it deep consideration, but my first thought is that we might get some traction from the question “How does the level of Immigration – both government sponsored and non-officially sanctioned – affect you?”.  We might also bring in the treatment of refugees.

In Australia, we have the highest level of official migration in the western world and one of the worst records of long term infrastructure planning to cope with it.  As well we have the vexed question of how we have treated the “Boat People”.  In the UK, I understand immigration was a significant factor in the Brexit decision.  In the USA, we have the Trump Fence to keep the Mexicans out.  I haven’t heard of one between the USA and Canada, but if there was it might be to keep the Americans in.  There is also the question of how the children born in the USA of “illegal” Immigrants should be handled.

Regards, Jack

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #493 on: March 14, 2018, 06:09:59 AM »
In the USA, we have the Trump Fence to keep the Mexicans out.

It's not a Trump fence. It predates Trump by decades.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico%E2%80%93United_States_barrier

It's just that Trump is either totally ignorant or believes Americans are that he talks about building something that is already there. Yes it is fairly ineffective for many reasons; drug cartels build tunnels under, ramps over. or cut holes in it.
It passes through deserts and gets covered in sand. Because it is also on flood plains, US farmhouses are sometimes separated from their farms by it and don't close the gates through it.

The US gained New Spain through wars, the Hispanics are taking it back person by person. The US is now the second largest (native) Spanish speaking country in the world, second to Mexico and surpassing Spain.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 14, 2018, 07:13:31 AM »

I haven’t had time to give it deep consideration, but my first thought is that we might get some traction from the question “How does the level of Immigration – both government sponsored and non-officially sanctioned – affect you?”

When Blair was Prime Minister we had mass, unlimited & uncontrolled immigration.  There is no problem with a controlled system for people who want to come & work & live in the UK.  But when you get it on the scale that we had it plus all the people from the EU it puts a huge strain on health care (hospitals & GP surgeries in particular), schools, housing, the benefits system & the whole infrastructure. The UK is a small country but is already one of the most densely populated in Europe. In my day to day work I regularly have to deal with people who struggle to speak or understand English. The electorate was never consulted on this matter & for many years if anybody dared to talk about it they were deemed to be racist. 
I think you're right Jack that immigration was probably a significant factor in the Brexit vote.
The British have always been tolerant & welcoming but I think it's possible that there comes a point when people think enough is enough.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...