Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814254 times)

Les303

Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #435 on: March 05, 2018, 09:01:54 PM »
So did they actually de - register or simply stop playing without any words of farewell?

My idea is that when I am eventually able to retire from the workforce, I will let everyone know that I am de - registering as I set off on my first world cruise, first port of call Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England.

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 05, 2018, 09:08:40 PM »
Why would you de-register when you retire? We need you to keep playing and tell us where you are....and who you're playing with 😈!!!
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Les303

« Reply #437 on: March 05, 2018, 09:42:25 PM »
I only play Chi on my home computer so my first thought was that when i retire & start cruising, i would de - register & shut down that computer but i was forgetting about the technology that is now available, apparently i will be able to get a portable laptop or tablet which will allow me to keep playing so i won't need to de - register.

auntiemoe, i will definitely stay registered so that i can keep you & anybody else that may be remotely interested in my travels.

How is young Po going?

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 05, 2018, 09:58:42 PM »
That's right Les, the wonders of modern technology. I even play Chi on my phone if that's my only option.
The youngster is turning 9 next week and seems to have lost interest  (temporarily....I hope). I probably need to put in a little more time with him and Chi....life just gets in the way, sometimes. I'll try to re-assess my priotities.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 06, 2018, 06:39:47 AM »
Les, I am letting you off the hook again. My story today is one that is against me and is embarrassing and moreover it is true.

It's a funny story Jack but it's the sort of silly mistake that I'm just as likely to make!
Like Les I do like your little one liners.
We have a tube station at The Oval in London (near the cricket ground!)  They do a "Thought of the Day" on a white board.  Some are just funny little one liners & some are amazing, moving & thought provoking.  Very popular with Londoners.
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 06, 2018, 06:46:50 AM »

My idea is that when I am eventually able to retire from the workforce, I will let everyone know that I am de - registering as I set off on my first world cruise, first port of call Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England.
Oh Les what a great idea!  You'll have to disembark at Southampton and catch a train or 2 as Bletchley is a long way from the sea!  Though probably not very far in Australian terms!
I'd best not win the lottery at the same time as you retire otherwise we'll be like ships that pass in the night :laugh:
Pen

Les303

« Reply #441 on: March 06, 2018, 10:20:26 AM »
Pen, that would be no problem at all.
With all your lottery winnings & my superannuation payout we would have enough cash to throw around so that a rendezvous of our ships could be arranged in the middle of the ocean.
What an outrageously romantic & exciting way that would be to meet somebody face to face for the very first time via a mid ocean transfer.

Of course that could be just a little bit dangerous but i'm sure well worth the risk should you survive such a transfer.

gromit

• Neophyte
  • Wellington, NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 06, 2018, 05:22:23 PM »
We have a tube station at The Oval in London (near the cricket ground!)  They do a "Thought of the Day" on a white board.  Some are just funny little one liners & some are amazing, moving & thought provoking.  Very popular with Londoners.

There's a cafe near work that puts one-liners on its blackboard outside the entrance. My favourite is:
If you leave your children here we will feed them lots of sugar and give them high hopes for Christmas

Les303

« Reply #443 on: March 06, 2018, 06:15:27 PM »
Gooday gromit, great to hear from you.

Your post has reminded me of an experience that a friend of mine had in a little cafe a few years ago.
We always called him " shorty " because he was actually quite small in stature.
Shorty was a truck driver & was on an overnighter when he pulled into a roadside cafe for a feed.
He ordered coffee, a steak & egg burger & an apple slice.
It was the early hours of the morning & he was the only person in the cafe so he did not have to wait long for his meal to be delivered.
The waitress was very friendly & had been chatting away non stop ever since he arrived & continued to do so as she served his meal.
All of a sudden she was speechless as three huge bikies entered the cafe, she made a hasty retreat to the safety of the kitchen.
The bikies surveyed the cafe & decided that they would have a bit of fun with this little bloke sitting all by himself in a four seat booth.
They plonk themselves in the three vacant seats next to him as they all taunt him,  one of them proceeds to drink Shorty's coffe.
He doesn't say a word.
Another of the bikies grabs his burger & scoffs it down.
He doesn't say aword.
Then the third bikie polishes off his apple slice.
Shorty continues to say nothing & simply goes to the counter to pay for his meal & leaves the cafe folllowed by the waitress who is taking out some garbage bags.
The bikies are all laughing amongst themselves, what a pathetic little man, no gumption at all.
As the waitress returns from the car park, the bikies start on her, where has your pathetic little friend gone, what a hopeless excuse for a man he was.
The waitress replies that yes, i have to agree that was really pathetic, apparently he is also not much of a truck driver as he has just run over  & totally destroyed three motorcycles in the carpark.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:17:53 PM by Les303 »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 06, 2018, 09:15:52 PM »
Pen,

You should be recovered by now and so this is the last medical joke until one is needed again.

An old nurse is talking to her young colleague and says to her, “My new patient in the private ward has the weirdest tattoo on his penis. It’s the word SWAN.” The young gorgeous nurse is intrigued and so she persuades the old nurse to swap patients with her so she can see the strange tattoo too.

Afterwards, the young nurse reports back to the old one, “I stripped and asked him if he was up to a bit of Hanky Panky. The tattoo says SASKATCHEWAN.”
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 07, 2018, 06:46:29 AM »
Pen,

You should be recovered by now and so this is the last medical joke until one is needed again.

Love the joke Jack.  We'll have to think of a new topic!
Almost better now thanks.  Just stuck with a very irritating dry cough which keeps me awake at night.  I've got some heavy duty medicine for tonite.  According to the pharmacist it should knock me out cold!!  Here's hoping
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 07, 2018, 07:26:06 AM »
Pen, that would be no problem at all.

What an outrageously romantic & exciting way that would be to meet somebody face to face for the very first time via a mid ocean transfer.

Of course that could be just a little bit dangerous but i'm sure well worth the risk should you survive such a transfer.
When I first read your post Les I though what a great adventure!
Then I read it again & realised that you would be expecting me (a lady who is terrified of anything higher than a small step ladder) to transfer from my boat across to yours!!!  I'm speechless!
Hope we're not going to have our 2nd disagreement :laugh:
Pen

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 07, 2018, 09:39:04 AM »
The mention of one-liners reminded me that in Sri Lanka the various buffet dishes were helpfully labelled. Some of them were:

Chocolate brawny
Salmon and asparagus moony
Profit rolls

and my favourite:

Rater-truly.

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 07, 2018, 11:27:14 AM »
Just out of idle curiosity – Is BBB, ThreeB and BiggerBirdBrain the same person?

Yes indeed, Jack. And she used to be a regular contributor. I sometimes wonder what happened to people like threeb and TechnoMC when Alan replies to an old word request and their names appear in the thread. I hope they simply got fed up with playing rather than anything more sinister.

Threeb and T are both doing fine, but are busy.  T's girls are now both freed from the garden shed, and enjoying their work and life, doing some traveling too.  I see them frequently on FB.  T left the college and found a more interesting job - I see her on FB too.  Threeb is busy with her newspaper work in Texas - does a lot of interviewing for local history articles.

Linda and I  - and now Jane - are probably the only hags still active on the forum.  I play less than I used to, sometimes only anonymously because I know I only have a little time and don't want my low word count associated with my name.  Ah Vanity, what folly!  But I do try to get to the forum at least several times a week, if I can. Busy, busy, busy.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 07, 2018, 11:36:39 AM »
The mention of one-liners reminded me that in Sri Lanka the various buffet dishes were helpfully labelled. Some of them were:

Chocolate brawny
Salmon and asparagus moony
Profit rolls

and my favourite:

Rater-truly.

If you like such mangulations of the English Language, you can spend many a happy hour browsing this web-site.

http://www.engrish.com/

It started a few years ago with photographs of the kind of English that appeared on Japanese t-shirts. It has since then become a legend among teachers of English.