Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814311 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #345 on: February 22, 2018, 03:48:48 AM »

Trex, you've caught me out.  Although I played 1st grade Rugby (1961-66), I don't actively follow it now, and I confess, I didn't do any research.  Being a basically egocentric person as many old people are, I only actively follow the sports that I play and these days I only play golf (badly).  I couldn't use golf in the joke because the Queensanders claim Greg Norman, Jason Day and Adam Scott (although he was originally South Australian).

Still enjoyed the joke Jack & got the gist of it!  I play golf really diabolically! 9 holes, par 3 is my limit.  An exceedingly frustrating but very enjoyable game.  I've been known to pick up my ball & stamp my feet when it goes really badly :-[
I love watching golf on the telly.  Especially the Ryder Cup when Europe are doing well!
Wonder if Les has any thoughts/views on golf??
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 22, 2018, 03:53:29 AM »
anonsi, I'm puzzled. If I click on your name in this latest post, it takes me to your page showing a registration date 06-02-2007, not 16 Dec 2006. In the members' list, rogue mother and roberts also show different dates. Are there different dates somewhere else, or am I just missing something?

anonsi

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 22, 2018, 04:39:20 AM »
anona, the date I posted was for Chi. The date you mention is the registration date for the forum. The forum wasn't available until even after registration on Chi began.

Since Les asked about the "player that has been continuously registered," I assumed he meant for the game itself and not the forum. You can find a person's registration date for Chihuahua by clicking on their name in the Scoreboard.

jane@manutd

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 22, 2018, 08:41:03 AM »
Anonsi, same date for me 16 Dec 2006, think we were some of the first  :D and for the Forums  :)
Seems just like yesterday!
We certainly need to reinstate the Hags!  >:D

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 22, 2018, 11:22:19 AM »
Thanks, anonsi! I knew there must be a simple explanation. I must at some point have seen that there was a date shown if I clicked on a name on the scoreboard, but I wouldn't have been comparing it with dates shown elsewhere.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #350 on: February 22, 2018, 04:58:25 PM »
As people have noted, Chihuahua was running for a bit over a year without any player registration facility. When registration became an option in mid-December 2006, there were 150 registered players within about a week - much to my surprise. Obviously, those players would have been playing for some time before that, as "anon" or using a name that may or may not have been the same as the one they registered with.

Quite a few of those early registrants are still around, but I think I'll leave it up to them to put their hands up if they feel so inclined. There are a few players who have been playing for years but have a fairly recent date as their registration date, because they had to re-register for one reason or another.

The forum has its own registration system. It's easy to see who the earliest forumites were. Click on the MEMBERS tab and then click on the Date Registered column head to sort the table. Although I registered before biggerbirdbrain, she had the first post.

The forum actually had a false start a few weeks before that, but I was forced to move the whole site to a different hosting service, and the few posts from forum #1 were lost.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #351 on: February 22, 2018, 05:01:45 PM »
As I've grown a bit older I have mellowed quite a lot & toned down my behaviour which is probably the only reason that I haven't been kicked off this site ... yet!

This isn't the first time you've mentioned the possibility of being kicked off the site, Les. So, I have to ask you, do you have a history of being kicked off web sites? If so, please supply details.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Les303

« Reply #352 on: February 22, 2018, 05:57:29 PM »
Since Les asked about the "player that has been continuously registered," I assumed he meant for the game itself and not the forum. You can find a person's registration date for Chihuahua by clicking on their name in the Scoreboard.

You are quite correct anonsi, I was just curious to find out who is currently the longest serving player of Chi but as Alan points out, the only way that i am going to find out is if somebody chooses to put their hand up.

By the way, i think that there must be some sort of glitch with the registration dates for the forum, i mean how could somebody as pretty as you possibly be registered since 2006?

Les303

« Reply #353 on: February 22, 2018, 06:40:49 PM »
As I've grown a bit older I have mellowed quite a lot & toned down my behaviour which is probably the only reason that I haven't been kicked off this site ... yet!

This isn't the first time you've mentioned the possibility of being kicked off the site, Les. So, I have to ask you, do you have a history of being kicked off web sites? If so, please supply details.

Oh Alan,

Surely you have not forgotten my clumsy introduction to this site.
I had just recieved my first home computer & this was my first foray onto the internet, let alone an interactive website.
If it had not been for the patience & tutorials from yourself & particularly Pat who had a wonderful knack of explaining " complex"computer functions to me in plain English that i could understand then i would have spat the dummy & gone back to pen & paper.
Even after all these years ( i've been registered since October 2015 ) the response that sticks in my mind is when Pat showed me how to copy a url & post pictures.
I thought it was just incredible that this type of thing could be done & exclaimed, this is just like magic.
Rather than break out in laughter & ridicule me, Pat's kind response was to state that she totally understood how a computer novice could interpret such feats as magic & she continued to endure my inane questions with very patient explanations.
Chi has certainly expanded my vocabulary & given me endless hours of enjoyment not to mention the fun of the forum but just as importantly, it is only through this site & the generousity of many forumites that i have actually learnt how to use a computer & interact with people from all over the world. ( Hi Pen.)

Now i've forgotten the bloody question.

Les303

« Reply #354 on: February 22, 2018, 06:57:01 PM »
I have suddenly remembered the question & the answer would be that I have dabbled in just a couple of other interactive websites which after a short time I found quite boring ( compared to chi ) & withdrew from them of my own accord.

The reason that i have made the comments that you refer to is that just occassionally i have made the odd post that has annoyed not only yourself but several other forumites.
My attempts at humour can tend to push the limits & can sometimes be misconstrued & it is always in the back of my mind that one of these days i will go to far & you will have no choice other than to de - register me.

Les303

« Reply #355 on: February 22, 2018, 07:42:39 PM »

Pen

That's more like it Pen, nice segue onto a new topic.

Friday afternoon was our sports day at school.
I signed up to play golf.
My mates couldn't belief it, why on earth would you sign up to play such a boring game?
Simple, only one teacher allocated to supervise & all he does is sign you in & then watch from the clubhouse.
Easy to get away with having a few cigarettes during your round & just as easy to nick off early without being detected, all of a sudden Friday afternoon golf became very popular.
I was very ordinary at the game but did try again in later years, however the ninth hole at our local course just happened to be adjacent to the clubhouse so everytime we arrived at the ninth hole i would declare that "  i've had enough " & head straight to the clubhouse for a cold beer & a play on the pokies.

2 women were playing golf. On the third hole there was a 4 men in front of them but about 175 yards down the fairway.
The first woman said i'll tee off he is far enough away. She hit the drive of her life, like a shot straight down the faraway. She screamed fore at the top of her lungs and as the men turned one was hit solidly. He was rolling on the ground in pain with his hands between his legs.
She ran to him, apologising and saying "let me help I am a physical therapist." He protested but she got him to put his hands at his side. She unzipped his pants and began massaging him.
"How does that feel?" she asked. He said, "Great, but my thumb still hurts like hell."

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 23, 2018, 06:47:07 AM »

Chi has certainly expanded my vocabulary & given me endless hours of enjoyment not to mention the fun of the forum but just as importantly, it is only through this site & the generousity of many forumites that i have actually learnt how to use a computer & interact with people from all over the world. ( Hi Pen.)

Hi Les
Love the golf joke.  Think we have a shared sense of humour!! Bit warped possibly >:D
I love the forum as much as the games themselves.  As you say it's great interacting with people from all over the world. (Hi back to you & not forgetting Jack of course!) Brings me enjoyment & a real laugh :laugh:
Glad you liked the change of topic.  I'll have a think how we can change it again...
Pen

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 23, 2018, 11:24:04 AM »

Pen

It's a wonder Les didn't tell you about the time a visiting American suddenly developed the world's worst toothache and asked Les to recommend a dentist.  Les said his dentist had just retired and he too was looking for a new dentist.  He knew Ocher Yobbo had six teeth filled by one of the local dentists so he suggested they give Ocker a buzz and see if he would recommend the dentist.

They eventually got onto Ocker who had been visiting his adult son Beetrooter to try to interest him in taking up golf but that's another story I'll tell you about in another post.  By the way, Beetrooter was really pleased with his nickname which he shared with our Deputy Prime Minister because he thought it was bestowed because of his nocturnal activities.  We didn't have the heart to tell him it was because he had high blood pressure and a very ruddy countenance.

The American explained his predicament to Ocker. who replied "Well only yesterday I was playing golf myself.  Some idiot on the tenth shanked a rabbit-high ball that came 60 metres at the speed of sound and hit me right in the nuts".

The American in considerable pain and impatient said "I'm sorry but what has THAT got to do with the competency of this dentist"

To which Ocker replied "It was the first time in three years I forgot how much my teeth hurt".
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 23, 2018, 02:17:21 PM »
Beetrooter was really pleased with his nickname which he shared with our Deputy Prime Minister

I just got that one in in-time.  I just watched a press conference where Barnaby Joyce, our Deputy Prime Minister has announced that as of next Monday he will be standing down from the Deputy Prime Ministership and The Cabinet and will be returning to the backbench.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:27:24 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 23, 2018, 02:35:39 PM »
'Old Peculier' was one of my favourite beers when I lived in UK.

Mike, my son is visiting and we just polished off a lunch of prawns and Plowman's washed down with old Peculier ( served at room temperature of course - we had the air conditioning turned down low).

I thought of who else I would like to be sharing it with and you, Les and Pen came immediately to mind.

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:42:01 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack