Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814647 times)

Les303

Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #300 on: February 13, 2018, 08:14:35 PM »
Pen,

Les303

« Reply #301 on: February 13, 2018, 10:12:08 PM »
I really do find the suggestion that we are flirting with each other as quite outrageous.
I mean, if I were actually flirting with you then I would probably do something really stupid like send you a poem.

A POEM ( of some sorts ) FOR PENNY ;

Bored and lonely playing the game
All efforts finding words very lame

Need distraction go to the forum
Meet Penny who has no decorum

Nevermind banter continues to and fro
She realises he's a bit slow

Turns out she really likes cricket
Maybe i'm on a good wicket

Friends suggest she's just a flirt
That should be a red alert

But I don't care because as far as i'm concerned, she is just a lovely penny from heaven.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 05:02:01 PM by Les303 »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 14, 2018, 06:43:59 AM »
Oh Les you're a proper old smoothy chops :laugh:  Really love it thanks.
Tried to think of a reply but failed miserably :(
Best I could manage..
Roses are red
Violets are blue
You've made me laugh
since I met you
Totally naff sorry!  Don't think I'll be Poet Laureate any time soon ???
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Les303

« Reply #303 on: February 14, 2018, 05:51:41 PM »
Not naff but cute, clever.....& hopefully correct.

I have noticed that yourself & a lot of other contributors like to use the emoji which is fine, sensible & practicable.
You may have noticed that I don't use them to often & wonder why?

Well i'll tell you why, for me, it is a bit like the person who is telling a joke & once the punch line is delivered bursts into laughter as a queue for the audience to laugh weather they actually found the joke funny or not.
I reckon that the best joke tellers are those that are able to keep a straight face & leave it up to their audience to decide if it is worth laughing at or not.
I particularly hate how they do the same thing on television shows where they play their canned laughter for scenes that are not the slightest bit amusing.

I can understand that users will put in an appropriate emoji when they are making a particularly sarcastic joke or comment so that their real meaning is understood & nobody is offended.
But for me, that takes away all of the fun, the onus should be entirely on the reader to determine " is this bloke fair dinkum or is he just pulling my leg. "

Sorry Pen, had a particularly bad day at work today, so I had to have a bitch about something, actually feel better now after that little bit of venting.
How was your day at school?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 15, 2018, 01:13:17 AM »
Hi Grumpy,
 :-L
You may have noticed that I don't use them to often & wonder why?
No and no - it never occurred to me.

But for me, that takes away all of the fun, the onus should be entirely on the reader to determine " is this bloke fair dinkum or is he just pulling my leg.

Does it matter?  Is the important thing about a contribution the message (be it information, enquiry, a serious opinion or humour) or the evaluation of the contributor?  IMHO any artifice which makes the message clearer is fair game.

If I am attempting humour (other than repeating a second hand joke), I am rarely fair dinkum and I am trying hard to pull your leg.

Hi Pen, :D

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 15, 2018, 06:28:31 AM »

I particularly hate how they do the same thing on television shows where they play their canned laughter for scenes that are not the slightest bit amusing.

Sorry Pen, had a particularly bad day at work today, so I had to have a bitch about something, actually feel better now after that little bit of venting.
How was your day at school?

Evening Les you vent away!  I agree with you about canned laughter. Drives me nuts! I think the Americans are the worse culprits.  The only US comedy programme I watch is Frasier.
I had a grueller at school today!  I work in the X-Ray department of our local hospital & I had a particularly stressful day with very poorly patients & relatives & various other difficulties.  I'm only a receptionist but I get involved in other stuff such as trying to make sure all the x-rays & scans that are done in our department are reported by our consultants as quickly as possible. I was very glad when it was going home time :)
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 15, 2018, 06:33:38 AM »

If I am attempting humour (other than repeating a second hand joke), I am rarely fair dinkum and I am trying hard to pull your leg.

Hi Pen, :D

Hi Jack :-)

Are you trying to wind Les up? >:D
Love the expression fair dinkum.  Where does it come from?

Pen

Les303

« Reply #307 on: February 15, 2018, 06:36:09 PM »
It is not unusual, in my line of work, to have a bad shift.
Normally, it is all forgotten the minute that I sign off.
However yesterday there was an incident that really had me fuming.
I received an email from the manager of one of our departments ( the wimp couldn't even call me directly for an explanation ) about how I had handled a certain situation.
He was critical that I had authorised an external agency to cause approx. 4 thousand dollars worth of damage to one of our assets which was going to come out of his budget & while he did acknowledge that I had followed correct procedures, he offered some very lame alternatives that I could have considered & then had the temerity to end his email with a bloody smiley face.

I would love to go into more detail about the incident but as I have previously mentioned who my employer is & due to their very strict " commercial in confidence " regulations, I would find myself dismissed immediately if it ever got back to them.

Needless to say, I rang this clown straight away and gave him both barrels, specifically pointing out why his " lame options that I could have considered " would not have resolved the situation.

Of course in this day & age, you are just not supposed to do that sort of stuff & as all of our phone conversations are recorded & as I might have used an expletive or two in the conversation, I new what was coming this morning.

Sure enough, as soon as i login, I have an email from my supervisor, " Les, we have received a complaint from a senior manager about the way that you spoke to him yesterday, so you will be required to attend H.R. at 1100hrs this morning for a disciplinary interview.

As luck would have it, our G.M. was visiting our workplace this morning to show some international delegates around.
At the first opportunity, i took him to one side & began to tell him about the incident ( of course he had already received reports & new all about the incident that i was referring to ) i showed him a printout of the email that i had received & told him exactly how i had responded to it.

After arranging very quickly to listen to the voice tapes, his response was, Les, there is no way that you should have been derided for the manner in which you handled this situation & as he shook my hand, he actually thanked me for my professionalism & whispered, thank Christ you were on shift, had it been a less experienced officer this could have turned into a catastrophe.

Don't worry about the H.R. interview, i will speak to your supervisor, that will all be cancelled & your record will remain spotless & i can i assure you that i will be speaking to the manager involved, just one thing Les, in future please mind your language,

Les303

« Reply #308 on: February 15, 2018, 07:58:57 PM »
Be careful Jack, as it seems that I might have Penny at my back, i'am just waiting for Ozziejune to contribute  to cover your back.

Hi Pen,

We all know that it does not take much to confuse me but somewhere along the line I got the impression that you were actually a school teacher?.

Thank goodness that you are not, I cop enough grief about my poor grammar  etc... from pat, mk & rm.

How dare you say " only a receptionist ", the first point of contact when going into or phoning any hospital is the receptionist .
The calm & reassuring responses you receive from that receptionist are invaluable, particularly to first time visitors & as you say, you are coordinating all the documentation to ensure that xrays & other test results are delivered in a timely manner.

To all the doctors & nurses throughout the world, thankyou, for your tireless devotion.
'

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 15, 2018, 08:45:35 PM »
Are you trying to wind Les up?

Perish the thought, Pen.  I wouldn't dare.  He might get grumpy and let loose with some of those fearsome expletives and as I have a delicate disposition this would upset me and so I will make sure I butter him up.  I am not going to use any emojis in this note.

Love the expression fair dinkum.  Where does it come from?

Actually it originated from just north of you in North Lincolnshire in the early 1800s and originally meant a fair days work or Darg in the mines.  It got transported to Australia along with some of your countryman and adopted enthusiastically by the Aussies who extended its meaning somewhat and now can be used in a number of contexts:
1. True or Genuine -  What you see is what you get
2.  in earnest, committed -  to be fair dinkum about an issue
3. Typical Australian -if there are any left - Fair dinkum blokes and sheilas
4. to be well and truly - to be fair dinkum drunk  - not you, Les
5.  Truly, believe me -  Fair dinkum, I will
6. etc. in this general vein

When I said I might be less than fair dinkum in trying to be humorous I meant that attitudes or events that I attributed to myself or others might not be completely devoid of irony and I'm fair dinkum about that.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 16, 2018, 06:26:55 AM »
Thanks Jack that's very interesting. "What you see is what you get" is quite common here.  I too will refrain from using any emojis so as not to make Les grumpy!
We'll go back to normal next time!
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 16, 2018, 06:32:00 AM »

Hi Pen,

We all know that it does not take much to confuse me but somewhere along the line I got the impression that you were actually a school teacher?.

Perish the thought Les!  Not only am I not clever enough I have little or no patience with children!  I'd probably end up trying to throttle them!
Am very glad you sorted out the idiotic jobsworth at work & all was resolved with no stain on your good character.
No emojis today!!
Pen

Les303

« Reply #312 on: February 16, 2018, 03:22:02 PM »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 18, 2018, 06:31:17 AM »
Is that big enough Les? :laugh:
About time you came up with another joke/funny story...
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 18, 2018, 02:29:48 PM »
I am not at all interested in cricket, but while researching 10 Pound poms, I found out England fast bowlers Harold Larwood in 1950 and Frank Tyson in 1960 also took advantage of the scheme when they retired from cricket. Pen, thought that might impress Les.
Regards, Jack