Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814575 times)

Les303

Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #270 on: February 06, 2018, 08:52:55 PM »
Sigh!!!

Guess that I will never get to find out what that schooner of gnat's pee would taste like.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 06, 2018, 09:03:50 PM »
The longest people have been able to stick to the one topic is probably about six posts.

Ain't that the truth!

What was going on, back in 2007, when the forum was so busy? I think some of the forumites active at the time found it diverting to use the forum as a venue for continual chatter about anything and everything. In other words, they hadn't yet discovered Facebook. Soon, some of them did, and the level of activity on the forum dropped off rapidly.

And what a pity they did. One of the best things about this forum is that people are by and large pleasant to each other and can express differing views without being colourfully sworn at for simply daring to have a different opinion. Maybe it's just because I'm an old fart but I find most of what people post on Facebook to be puerile - 'Share this if you have a beautiful granddaughter' and other such nonsense. To say nothing of the endless stream of awful selfies!

I would urge you, habitues of this thread, DO NOT TRY TO SET ANY RECORDS. By all means continue the banter if you like. But don't go out of your way to create a proliferation of posts and subject matter. I can assure you, you won't be getting invited onto any podium to collect any medals.

Well said.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 06, 2018, 09:11:18 PM »
Sigh!!!

Guess that I will never get to find out what that schooner of gnat's pee would taste like.

Probably similar to a schooner of cat's pee. Your mentioning the word schooner reminds me of a perplexing conversation I had with a barman somewhere in Oz when I asked for a pint of cider. Probably due to this:

http://beerbrewguru.com/beer-brew-news/beer-size-guide-to-australian-beer-measurements/

Much simpler over here - we ask for either a pint or half a pint.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 06, 2018, 09:48:31 PM »
Jack ... or is it in fact John

Depends whether you want to know what my friends call me or what is on my birth certificate.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 06, 2018, 10:41:06 PM »
Your mentioning the word schooner reminds me of a perplexing conversation I had with a barman somewhere in Oz when I asked for a pint of cider. ....Much simpler over here - we ask for either a pint or half a pint.

Pat, anybody who drinks cider by the pint deserves a lot of respect. 

On the question of the variety of glass sizes and names for beer drinking, I agree that it is ridiculous and should have been standardised a long time ago but the differences probably had relevance in the past because of customs and laws that existed at the time and people are resistant to change.

The problem with pints in Australia is that we like our beer quite cold and unless you go in for one quick one, if you drink pints you either have to put up with warm beer before you finish your glass or you get drunk very fast. This is not a problem in places like the UK where the beer is drunk closer to room temperature and the alcohol content is generally lower, with a few notable exceptions, than Australian beer.

The half and the 15oz schooners provide a suitable compromise between drinking at a comfortable pace and spending most of your time going back and forward to the bar.  I prefer schooners myself although in order to keep my girth within reasonable proportions I drink very little beer these days.

I can’t see any point in smaller glasses although they had a use in past times when it was the practice to drink in larger schools and everybody in the school was expected to shout.  Before the 1970s hotels had to take last drinks by 6.00 pm and as most groups didn’t knock off until about 5, this resulted in what was known as the “6 O’clock swill”
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 06, 2018, 10:50:57 PM »
  I was wondering just what the longest topic has been on Chi ?

I suspect the answer to that question would be this one:

https://theforum.lexigame.com/index.php/topic,467.0.html

It only shows the number of times it's been read.

Also, 'Forumites...light-bulb' currently runs to 139 pages - this one still has a fair way to go.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 06, 2018, 11:09:15 PM »
Pat, anybody who drinks cider by the pint deserves a lot of respect.  

Loath as I am to shatter your respect for my drinking habits, Jack, I have to confess that I can only manage one pint! And it lasts a long time.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 07, 2018, 06:37:18 AM »

Pen, starting a new topic about the spice girls under " whatever " doesn't help to achieve our target in this thread.
The people that chose to invest the 50 million are either idiots or geniuses, time will tell.

Sorry Les my flabber was well & truly gasted :laugh:
Anyway reading Alan's post we're not going to get our pint of either gnats or cats pee any time soon :'(
Loved your crocodile joke.  Hilarious :laugh:
Haven't watched Backyard Ashes yet but did go to the pictures on sunday to watch The Darkest Hour.  A fantastic film about Churchill.  Gary Oldman is superb.  He deserves the Oscar for which he has been nominated.
Penx
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 07, 2018, 06:45:13 AM »

Les, I can only assume that you are being ironic which is generally accepted as being a trait exhibited by most Australians but one to which, of course, I would not stoop. 

Some common examples of Australian irony are exhibited in nicknames: redheads are typically called Bluey; bald headed men are called Curlie; and the biggest man in the Rugby team is known as Tiny. Others are a bit more obscure - John Eales, highly revered  ex Wallabies rugby captain is known as "Nobody" because nobody is perfect. Sometime irony lies in descriptions such as referring to Trump as Illustrious or a person of limited abilities "couldn't find a grand piano in a one roomed house"

I could only find the time to write this because I was scheduled to go to a procrastinators' meeting but it was postponed.

Very funny Jack - love it.  I assume your real name is John but you prefer Jack?  My Grandfather was always called Jack or Jacky but he was christened John.  I am sadly a master of procrastination ??? Incapable of making a decision even if my life depended on it!
When I've had a horrid day at work (like today) I love logging in after dinner & reading what you & Les have posted.  Makes me laugh & cheers me up :laugh:
Pen

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 07, 2018, 01:01:22 PM »
Some common examples of Australian irony are exhibited in nicknames: redheads are typically called Bluey; bald headed men are called Curlie; and the biggest man in the Rugby team is known as Tiny.

I've frequently seen 'Tiny' for a big man and 'Curly' for a baldy in the southern U.S.

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 07, 2018, 01:05:04 PM »
Second, he isn't my president — I didn't vote for the SOB and would be happy if he dropped dead tonight.

Is Pence any better?

I think he would be better. Much less inclined to run the mouth without engaging the brain, i.e. more disciplined. That would be an improvement in itself.

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 07, 2018, 01:41:30 PM »
Curly Watts, with straightest hair ever, in Britain's Coronation Street. (Quick disclaimer: JCC was an indefatigable watcher for many years.)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 07, 2018, 02:28:04 PM »
I assume your real name is John but you prefer Jack? 

75% right,Pen.  50% my real name is John. 25% because I have no real preference for one or the other. For the first 17 years I was definitely John.  The opinion leader in my Rugby club started calling me Jack and within 6 months everybody was calling me Jack and I gave in and started calling myself Jack.  Soon only Ozzyjune, my mother, and me when I swore at myself for hitting a botched golf shot, called me John.  After I retired and shifted residence, I had to fill in a lot of forms and got sick of explaining why the name I filled in wasn’t the one on my birth certificate and as I approach the age when one reverts to childhood, I often introduce myself as John.

So to be completely unoriginal, call me John or call me Jack, but don’t call me late for breakfast.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 08, 2018, 06:38:11 AM »

So to be completely unoriginal, call me John or call me Jack, but don’t call me late for breakfast.
Oh blimey Jack or er John you're asking me to choose!! I'll have a good dither & then dither some more ???
Perhaps Les will decide :laugh:  He's been very quiet again last day or 2. Hope he's not poorly.
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 08, 2018, 09:13:11 AM »
Perhaps Les will decide. :laugh:  He's been very quiet again last day or 2. Hope he's not poorly.

Knowing Les, he’ll just call me late for breakfast.

Les contributed to the “how did you get here” topic yesterday afternoon but he has been a bit quite so I also hope he is not feeling poorly.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:37:23 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack