Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814167 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #255 on: February 06, 2018, 08:21:26 AM »
As a result of geography, Queensland bananas actually grow straight, but everyone expects that bananas are curved, so Queenslanders have to bend their bananas so that people will buy them. That's how they get their nickname. Also explains why NSW bananas are cheaper than Queensland bananas.

Is this supposed to be tongue in cheek? I did some checking and found no evidence that bananas grow straight anywhere.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #256 on: February 06, 2018, 08:41:06 AM »
Is this supposed to be tongue in cheek? I did some checking and found no evidence that bananas grow straight anywhere.

Yes, but don't tell Les.

Les303

« Reply #257 on: February 06, 2018, 10:08:33 AM »
It seems that my attempt to put you on the spot has backfired.
I was hoping that you would come up with a totally ridiculous & outlandish explanation with just a hint of credibility so as to draw other forumites into the conversation.

So why are bananas curved ;

It makes it easier for monkeys ( & Queenslanders ) to hang on to them.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 06, 2018, 11:10:36 AM »
I did some checking and found no evidence that bananas grow straight anywhere.

Trex, I believe I am channelling your illustrious President when I caution against letting the facts interfere with a good story.  However, I cannot believe that Yelnats would be guilty of spreading fake news, so keep checking.

In the meantime, I am exhausted by checking whether Pecos Bill was indeed raised by coyotes and dug the Rio Grande with a stick but it does seem feasible that he was responsible for Texas becoming known as the Lone Star State by shooting all the other stars out.

But speaking of nicknames, which we weren't, I issue a challenge to forumites to explain what are the origins of Scouser, Geordie, Inside the Beltway and other nicknames for where you or other people come from.  But don't tell me about Septic for Americans, I know that one.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:47:55 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 06, 2018, 01:20:04 PM »
monkeys ( & Queenslanders )

The difference?

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 06, 2018, 01:38:02 PM »
Trex, I believe I am channelling your illustrious President when I caution against letting the facts interfere with a good story.  However, I cannot believe that Yelnats would be guilty of spreading fake news, so keep checking.

Some clarifications: First, he isn't 'illustrious'. At best, he is a**hole in chief (I've some more appropriate labels). Second, he isn't my president — I didn't vote for the SOB and would be happy if he dropped dead tonight.

Les303

« Reply #261 on: February 06, 2018, 02:54:31 PM »
monkeys ( & Queenslanders )

The difference?

That's a tough one Stan, I was going to say that monkeys don't drink beer but apparently that is not always the case ;

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 06, 2018, 02:56:33 PM »
you have so many traits in common with the average Queenslander i.e. shy, retiring, introverted etc..

Les, I can only assume that you are being ironic which is generally accepted as being a trait exhibited by most Australians but one to which, of course, I would not stoop. 

Some common examples of Australian irony are exhibited in nicknames: redheads are typically called Bluey; bald headed men are called Curlie; and the biggest man in the Rugby team is known as Tiny. Others are a bit more obscure - John Eales, highly revered  ex Wallabies rugby captain is known as "Nobody" because nobody is perfect. Sometime irony lies in descriptions such as referring to Trump as Illustrious or a person of limited abilities "couldn't find a grand piano in a one roomed house"

I could only find the time to write this because I was scheduled to go to a procrastinators' meeting but it was postponed.

Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #263 on: February 06, 2018, 05:10:35 PM »
Funny stuff Jack ... or is it in fact John?

The richest man in town decides to throw a huge party & everybody is invited.
The party is held around the pool in the backyard of his mansion.  Everyone is having a good time dancing, eating lots of fancy food with plenty of drinking & flirting.
At the height of the party, the host says, 'As you have probably already noticed, I have a huge man-eating crocodile in my pool and I'll give a hundred thousand dollars to anyone who has the balls to jump in with it.'
The words are barely out of his mouth when there is a loud splash and everyone turns around to see big Larry
(nicknamed Lurch from the Addams Family ) in the pool fighting the croc, jabbing the croc in the eyes with his thumbs, throwing punches, doing all kinds of stuff like head butts and choke holds, biting the croc on the tail and flipping the croc through the air.
The water is churning and splashing everywhere. Both Lurch and the croc are screaming and raising hell. Finally, big Lurch has managed to strangle the croc and let it float to the top like a dead goldfish.
Lurch then slowly climbs out of the pool. Everybody is just staring at him in disbelief.  The host says, 'Well, Larry, I reckon I owe you a hundred thousand dollars.'
Not interested says Lurch.
What do you mean, not interested, I have to give you something , what you have achieved here is just amazing, how about a new car?
Come on Larry, I have to give you something because you won the challenge, how about I buy you some stocks & bonds?
Confused, the host asks, what exactly would you be interested in?
Lurch replies that the only thing that he is interested in at the moment is finding out who was the bastard that pushed him into the pool.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 06, 2018, 05:14:15 PM »
Second, he isn't my president — I didn't vote for the SOB and would be happy if he dropped dead tonight.

Is Pence any better?

Les303

« Reply #265 on: February 06, 2018, 05:50:21 PM »

Les, there are very few that would agree, most just think I am peculier.
Nowt wrong with that Jack!  I'm slightly bonkers & Les is clearly as mad as a box of frogs so we're all in good company!  I'm inclined to agree with Les about this thread we must keep going until we win the prize for the most topics :laugh: We might get a trophy from Alan as well as a prize :laugh:
Pen

Pen, starting a new topic about the spice girls under " whatever " doesn't help to achieve our target in this thread.
The people that chose to invest the 50 million are either idiots or geniuses, time will tell.

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 06, 2018, 06:50:32 PM »
  I was wondering just what the longest topic has been on Chi ?

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 06, 2018, 08:17:21 PM »

I suspect the answer to that question would be this one:

https://theforum.lexigame.com/index.php/topic,467.0.html

It only shows the number of times it's been read rather than the number of posts but it's probably well ahead on both counts. Unlike this thread, which meanders all over the place, the humorous thread mostly stays on course.

Les303

« Reply #268 on: February 06, 2018, 08:29:06 PM »
Cue for Carol to post a lightbulb joke.

How many mice does it take to screw in a light bulb?
Only two, but the hard part is getting them into the light bulb.

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #269 on: February 06, 2018, 08:35:46 PM »

"Dedicated to Linda", with 2196 posts. "Bloody Plurals" has just over 1900 posts to go to beat that record. Actually, these figures relate to the forum threads that are called "topics", but actually may cover a great many topics. The longest people have been able to stick to the one topic is probably about six posts.

If you look down near the bottom of the front page of the forum you'll see a heading "Forum Stats", and a bit below that a link "[More Stats]". Clicking on that link you can see, among other interesting statistics, that the topic "Dedicated to Linda" had 2196 posts. The humour thread that pat mentioned is a close second. The other topics in the top 10 are listed too. "Bloody Plurals" is not one of them.

The fact is that at its peak in 2007 the forum had a frantic level of activity that makes anything more recent look positively glacial. The same stats page shows monthly stats going right back to the start of the forum in early 2007. Just keep scrolling down and you'll see it all. The month with the most posts was October 2007, with 3638 posts. January 2018, with 321 posts, was the busiest in some time, but is not in the same league. (Incidentally, take no notice of the last two columns in that table - the number of new members is the number of attempted registrations, but most of these are spambots, that I reject. The figure for the most online during a month also includes bots.)

What was going on, back in 2007, when the forum was so busy? I think some of the forumites active at the time found it diverting to use the forum as a venue for continual chatter about anything and everything. In other words, they hadn't yet discovered Facebook. Soon, some of them did, and the level of activity on the forum dropped off rapidly.

I would urge you, habitues of this thread, DO NOT TRY TO SET ANY RECORDS. By all means continue the banter if you like. But don't go out of your way to create a proliferation of posts and subject matter. I can assure you, you won't be getting invited onto any podium to collect any medals.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 08:37:50 PM by Alan W »
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites