Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814718 times)

Les303

Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #240 on: February 04, 2018, 06:00:49 PM »
Pen, I have absolutely no doubt that at some stage in your life you are going to find a way to board that cruise ship to Australia.
Naturally, your first port of call will be Queensland & the first place second place that you should be visiting is the Daintree.
Beautiful ice cream made from local produce but what a glorious setting to eat it in, this link will show you what I mean ;

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g2426273-d1887494-Reviews-Daintree_Ice_Cream_Company-Diwan_Cape_Tribulation_Daintree_Region_Queensland.html#photos;geo=2426273&detail=1887494&ff=240865333&albumViewMode=hero&aggregationId=101&albumid=101&baseMediaId=240865333&thumbnailMinWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=7&autoplay=

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 04, 2018, 08:55:20 PM »
quite by chance happened on a item which said 12 Queenslanders you should know. 
I just thought it was a funny coincidence

The author probably wasn't a Chihuahua player, so you know who would not have featured.  Whereas we know he should have been No. 1 on the list.  On coincidences, have you ever noticed when you come across a new word or fact, it will crop up again 3 or 4 times in the next week.

I'm surprised that Ozziejack wasn't on that list.

Les, there are two reasons I couldn't have made the list.  I am not a banana bender - I only visit Queensland for a couple of weeks a year to visit the grandkids and their parents.  But more importantly, who would want to know a shy, retiring, introverted senior citizen like me unless they were a bit quirky.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 05, 2018, 06:13:32 AM »

Les, there are two reasons I couldn't have made the list.  I am not a banana bender - I only visit Queensland for a couple of weeks a year to visit the grandkids and their parents.  But more importantly, who would want to know a shy, retiring, introverted senior citizen like me unless they were a bit quirky.
Know I'm going to deeply regret asking this but what in heavens name is a banana bender? ???
Jack I don't believe you're shy & retiring!  Quirky yes but that's a definite plus :)
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 05, 2018, 06:17:46 AM »
Pen, I have absolutely no doubt that at some stage in your life you are going to find a way to board that cruise ship to Australia.
Naturally, your first port of call will be Queensland & the first place second place that you should be visiting is the Daintree.
Beautiful ice cream made from local produce but what a glorious setting to eat it in, this link will show you what I mean ;

I have to hope & dream that you're right Les.  Would love to visit your amazing country.  Bit worried about the spiders!  I do hope you'll be there to meet me & treat me to what looks like the most wonderful ice cream :)
Pen

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 05, 2018, 06:36:12 AM »
Would love to visit your amazing country.  Bit worried about the spiders! 

I was disappointed with the lack of spiders when I visited. This St. Andrew's cross spider was probably the best one I saw.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 05, 2018, 06:40:01 AM »
One for you Aussies.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 05, 2018, 08:11:19 AM »
Pen, We have nicknames for people from Australian States
    Cornstalks, Cockroaches (New South Wales) ...
    Bananalanders, Banana benders (Queensland) ...
    Crow-eaters, Wheatfielders (South Australia) ...
    Apple Islanders, Taswegians, Jam-eaters (Tasmania) ...
    Gumsuckers, Cabbage Gardeners (Victoria) Also Known as Mexicans (below the NSW Border - relax Stanley we have no plans to build a wall)..
    Sandgropers (Western Australia)

The origins of some are buried deep in history.

Pat, I love your cartoon
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:15:27 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #247 on: February 05, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »

I have to hope & dream that you're right Les.  Would love to visit your amazing country.  Bit worried about the spiders!  I do hope you'll be there to meet me & treat me to what looks like the most wonderful ice cream :)
Pen

Pen, You were supposed to ask me why the first place to visit ( in relation to the Daintree ) was crossed out in the above quote.
The answer was going to be because I would have hoped that the first place that you would want to visit would be my place.

Jack, Sorry mate, I did forget that you are not a born & bred Queenslander but in my defence, that is easily done when you have so many traits in common with the average Queenslander.
i.e. shy, retiring, introverted etc..

Pat, I'm still smiling about your cartoon.

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #248 on: February 05, 2018, 03:34:15 PM »
Love the cartoon too!

As a result of geography, Queensland bananas actually grow straight, but everyone expects that bananas are curved, so Queenslanders have to bend their bananas so that people will buy them. That's how they get their nickname. Also explains why NSW bananas are cheaper than Queensland bananas.

As for the Mexican wall, it's been there for at least 20 years. The idiot just doesn't know about it. Internet and Youtube have some wonderful stories on it. A race to the top - 13 seconds! The tunnels under, catapults, submarines around, 4WD (SUV) mounted ramps to drive over. US farmhouses on one side with gates (always open) to access the farm on the Rio Grande floodplain on the other side. And a graph that shows the cost escalating as the effectiveness decreases.

Les303

« Reply #249 on: February 05, 2018, 06:10:50 PM »
Ok Stan, If i believe your fairy tale for one second, could you please explain exactly how Queenslanders manage to bend their bananas?

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #250 on: February 05, 2018, 08:09:46 PM »
You can't be a real Queenslander if you don't know!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 06, 2018, 03:03:59 AM »
about the spiders! 

I was disappointed with the lack of spiders when I visited. This St. Andrew's cross spider was probably the best one I saw.
Oh Pat the spider is beautiful & terrifying in equal measures.
Cartoon is hilarious :laugh:
Penny

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 06, 2018, 03:10:05 AM »

Pen, You were supposed to ask me why the first place to visit ( in relation to the Daintree ) was crossed out in the above quote.
The answer was going to be because I would have hoped that the first place that you would want to visit would be my place.

your cartoon.

Sorry Les if I had a brain I'd be dangerous!  I thought it was a rather strange typo! ???
It goes without saying that the first place I'd visit would be yours.  Ice cream second.
I'm also wondering how they straighten their bananas in Queensland...
Pen

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 06, 2018, 04:41:23 AM »
I thought it was only the ridiculed EU that originally banned very curved bananas http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/2453204/Bent-banana-and-curved-cucumber-rules-dropped-by-EU.html

And cucumbers. Well, they seem to have won on cucumbers which now arrive here virtually straight. Some people cited their despair over the interfering bureaucratic EU mentality behind the "bent banana rule" as their reason for voting Brexit.

Perhaps the EU had talked to Queensland ...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 06, 2018, 06:26:50 AM »
Anona my perception of the EU is of a bunch of bloated bureaucrats.  Although dictators might be a better description >:(
You're right about the cucumbers!  If you ever get a properly home grown one they are nearly always curved!
Perhaps the EU has infiltrated worldwide....
Pen