Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 819366 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #180 on: January 24, 2018, 09:21:56 PM »
Where in the Hunter,

A little town called Hinton on the confluence of the Hunter and Paterson rivers. I left there when I was nearly 18 to go to Canberra. We often holiday in Pokolbin, which for those not familiar with the area, is the wine producing centre of the Hunter.  For many years, we used to visit Muswellbrook with a social golf group, the Hookers, every June long weekend.  Great golf course.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:55:37 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 24, 2018, 09:44:56 PM »
Here in the UK the Australian wines are generally quite a bit cheaper than their New Zealand cousins!

Penny, when I last visited the UK (2012) I found it difficult to get good Australian wines.  The market was flooded by the mass producers which were drinkable but overpriced by Australian standards.  Similarly with beer where Australian appeared to equal Fosters which I don’t particularly like.  I drank a lot of Guiness, strictly for health reasons of course, and developed a taste for Old Peculiar.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:51:05 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 24, 2018, 11:31:33 PM »
'Old Peculier' was one of my favourite beers when I lived in UK.
It is not, unfortunately, available in Thailand.

You do need to get the spelling right however - Peculier not Peculiar , although I think that spelling is now obsolete except on beer bottles.

Peculier is a noun, not an adjective, an old religious term for a parish which was not part of a regular diocese.
I think it was also used of a monk who wasn't attached to any particular monastery. The labels on the bottle have a picture of a monk.

The Chapel of St Mary Undercroft in the basement of the Houses of Parliament - it was the setting for a key scene in the BBC thriller serial Apple Tree Yard - is a Royal Peculiar. It is not part of a regular diocese.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:40:46 PM by mkenuk »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 25, 2018, 06:33:52 AM »
Oh Jack does anybody actually drink Fosters because they like it? It's ghastly gnats pee :laugh:  Guinness is rather yummy I do agree :)
Will you be visiting the UK again sometime?  Perhaps you could bring Les with you.  He could liven things up a bit over here :laugh:
Penny
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2018, 08:45:17 AM »
'Old Peculier' was one of my favourite beers when I lived in UK.

When I can find it, I grab it. Definitely a good beer.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2018, 12:31:37 PM »

You do need to get the spelling right however - Peculier not Peculiar , although I think that spelling is now obsolete except on beer bottles.

Mike, thanks for that information.  I was relying on memory from a number of years ago and I think you will agree that after several pints of Old Peculier memory can be somewhat diminished.

However, you did motivate me to do some research.  There is more information on the website https://www.theakstons.co.uk/our-ales/permanent-cask/old-peculier/ .  One quote I particularly liked was "For many years it was affectionately referred to as Yorkshire’s ‘Lunatic’s Broth’."

Also I found that a discount liquor chain Dan Murphy's have 500 ml bottles for $A9.20 or for $A7 if you buy a carton of 16.  They have an outlet in my local shopping centre and so I plan to renew my acquaintance with Old Peculier.

Les, I suggest you go and visit your local outlet and try Old Peculier .
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 01:14:05 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2018, 12:49:06 PM »
Will you be visiting the UK again sometime?  Perhaps you could bring Les with you.  He could liven things up a bit over here :laugh:

Hi Penny.   I don't expect I will be able to be able to visit the UK soon if at all although I still have a third return visit to the whisky trail in Scotland on my bucket list.  We have 2 Border Collies who would be upset if we were away for an extended period and then the question becomes how long can I defer kicking the bucket :D

I would certainly love to visit the UK with Les to observe the reaction of the locals.  They survived Barry Mckenzie but how would they cope with Les? >:D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 01:22:33 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2018, 12:04:09 AM »

However, you did motivate me to do some research.  There is more information on the website https://www.theakstons.co.uk/our-ales/permanent-cask/old-peculier/ .  One quote I particularly liked was "For many years it was affectionately referred to as Yorkshire’s ‘Lunatic’s Broth’."

'Lunatic broth' was one of the names often applied to Newcastle Brown Ale. Another was 'Journey into Space'!
In fact, Newcastle Brown wasn't particularly strong, (a mere 4.7% if I remember correctly) but the problem was that it was very 'moreish' - there was always the temptation to have one more - and another after that.

I think in fact Theakston's, who made Old Peculier, were eventually taken over by Scottish and Newcastle, who made 'Nukie Broon'.
I believe the whole lot now belong to Heineken.

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2018, 04:16:51 AM »
Members of the Theakston family returned to the brewing of good ales a number of years after selling out. They make a number of different ones but Black Sheep is in my opinion one of the best.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2018, 06:35:05 AM »

[/quote]
I would certainly love to visit the UK with Les to observe the reaction of the locals.  They survived Barry Mckenzie but how would they cope with Les? >:D
[/quote]
Hi Jack. We've survived various incarnations of Barry Humphries so I'm sure we can cope with Les :laugh:  He's been very quiet the last few days.  Most unusual!  Perhaps he's gone on holiday.
Forgot your border collies.  As you say you can't just up & leave them for long.
I have tried yet again to get the quote right & am probably going to look a proper numpty yet again ???  Sorry Pat if you read this.
Penny

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2018, 06:58:00 AM »
I would certainly love to visit the UK with Les to observe the reaction of the locals.  They survived Barry Mckenzie but how would they cope with Les?

Take out the / from the first quote.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:00:03 AM by yelnats »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2018, 07:42:25 AM »

He's been very quiet the last few days.  Most unusual!  Perhaps he's gone on holiday.

More likely he is exhausted from trying to catch the fastest cockroach in Brisbane to enter into the race yesterday.  I am waiting for his report to learn the most innovative name for 2018.

While on Australia Day, every year when I rang my late mother on Mothers' Day, she invariably said "if you need one day of the year to remember your mother, you don't deserve to have a mother".  I feel much the same about Australia Day,
Regards, Jack

Matilda

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2018, 02:26:26 PM »
does anybody actually drink Fosters because they like it? It's ghastly gnats pee
Well Hobbit, I like the occasional shandy on a very hot day and when in the UK the only beer my daughter and son-in-law will countenance me adulterating is...you guessed it, Fosters! And just so there is no confusion my definition of very hot is over 30C. I am very happy in Perth right now.
Just keep swimming, swimming...or cycling, walking, dancing and singing!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 28, 2018, 06:47:03 AM »
You're very lucky Matilda.  It's windy & rainy & a chilly 7c here in Bletchley.  I think if you're making shandy then it doesn't really matter what beer/lager you use.  It's thirst quenching & that's all that matters!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 28, 2018, 06:51:00 AM »

Take out the / from the first quote.
Ok Stanley here goes nothing.  I took out the / from the first quote but left everything else alone.  Do hope that's right.  I feel such a twit - it's hardly rocket science :laugh:
Penny