Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 820126 times)

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2018, 06:38:45 PM »
Following your biography with great interest, Les!

Les303

« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2018, 07:59:12 PM »
They gave me 3 weeks training with ( Ian ) to see if I would be suitable to this new administration role.
What in the hell is this contraption ?
With a heavy sigh , Ian explains once again that when we have typed out our reports we fax them off to the responsible managers on this fax machine, you will also receive some documents by the same method & try not to be so slow & tentative when you are on the computer, no matter what you do you can't break it.
Excuse me Ian but I have managed to freeze up this computer yet again, no problem, Les, you have probably just forgotten to ... how in the hell did you manage to get into this ... you don't even have access ... you have managed to crash the whole system...it will take me & Tony all week to rebuild the entire data base!
Well, I was just experimenting a bit, trying to teach myself  some new functions & after all you did say, don't be frightened you can't harm the computer.

Despite these early setbacks, I did adapt to the role & it wasn't long before colleagues were looking to me for advice because of my practical experience in the field as a signalman.
That made it very easy, anything that involves typing, report writing or computer work, is delegated to others on shift while I take over all their responsibilities with regard to assessing & informing everyone about delays to services.
The job was really full on, you were constantly on the go from the time that you took over until the time that you signed off.
Then came a restructure, a private contractor took over all of our responsibilities with regard to dealing with the public (oh, how I was going to miss picking up the phone to hear an angry voice stating " I want to make a complaint ' ) we were freed up to concentrate on our primary role which was to deal with delays, cancellations & disruptions to services & we also monitored CCTV & dealt with security issues throughout the network answering calls from " emergency " help phones that were located at every station.
I got a promotion from this restructure & was made a supervisor.
I really did excel in the role, I had four other supervisors to work with & we were responsible for 21 staff in both the communications & security sections.
We did the rosters for both sections, their time sheets, managed their leave & guided them on how to handle different situations but the worst part for me was having to deal with their grievances, mostly personality clashes between co-workers, every little issue that was raised had to be seen to be dealt with fairly & I always managed to achieve that without having to refer any issue to higher management where someone was going to get into serious trouble. ( besides, it was too much paperwork )
All was going well until for no other reason than budgetary cuts, we have another restructure.
A dedicated security unit will be set up to deal with security issues & all supervisor positions will be abolished.
Your team numbers will be reduced & your sole responsibility will be communications.
There is a redundancy package on the table or you can revert to your previous position but you will retain your current rate of pay.
I would have loved to have been able to say yes to that pay out offer but I was only 54 years old so, financially, I just couldn't do it.
Ok , so I will take the demotion to my old job which now has a lot less responsibility, I will just go through the motions, do what I have to do & be responsible for nobody else except for myself.
That's where I am at the moment, just hanging in until I hit 60, then retire with unrestricted access to my superannuation at which time I will start booking my world cruises, so look out Pen, one of those cruisers might be coming your way.

Les303

« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2018, 08:42:40 PM »
Following your biography with great interest, Les!

Sorry birdy, only saw your post after I had finished posting my final chapter, thank you for your interest although I suspect that most forumites were thinking when is this bloke going to give us some reprieve & end his boring monologue.

I never intended for this thread to turn into any sort of biography.

It is entirely the fault of ozziejack & hobbit.

Jack had not been a regular contributor to the forum but when he did start, I felt an immediate connection as a like minded person so I wanted to know a little bit more about him & asked him if he would mind sharing a bit about his back ground.
Jack obliged with a delightful little story about his work history & how he met his beautiful bride. (I think her name was Justine )

But then of course he put it back on me to tell everyone about my history.
While Jack was able to slide through his history in one post , my emotions would get to me & as an incident that was significant to me came to mind then I would have to relate in detail which led to a series of chapters which would not have continued except for the urging of Penny.

To end the " biography " , I should tell you that despite a couple of close calls, I never married & have no kids. ( that I know of )

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2018, 08:49:20 PM »
Les, I’m sure that all of us come across posts that we find boring or incomprehensible, or in which we have no interest, in which case we simply don’t read them. As Penny seems to be the most enthusiastic reader of your tales, are you aware that you can send private messages?

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2018, 01:41:47 AM »
Ah, but it isn't only Penny!

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 23, 2018, 02:29:49 AM »
I think Les has a lot of readers probably because he has no axes to grind - he just writes from his heart.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 23, 2018, 06:33:54 AM »
I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your biography Les :) You do indeed write from the heart.  I will be standing on the dock in Southampton, waving a little flag to welcome you on the British leg of your world cruise.  If I win the lottery in the meantime I might just cruise back with you :laugh: We can watch the Ozzies slaughter England at cricket again :(
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 23, 2018, 09:34:37 AM »
I enjoyed the bio, Les. Thanks.

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 23, 2018, 10:04:17 AM »
Hi Les...Penny might be the one commenting, but I'm sure there are lots of others reading along and just enjoying your story....I am.  I've even found myself reading your posts before looking at the letters!!
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 23, 2018, 04:13:57 PM »
I never intended for this thread to turn into any sort of biography.

It is entirely the fault of ozziejack & hobbit  .... his beautiful bride.(I think her name was Justine )

But then of course he put it back on me to tell everyone about my history.

Les, I think you might have let the sherbets affect your memory when you wrote this. 

The beautiful bride was/is June and it was Valerie, bless her, that made the original suggestion for you to let us know some more about yourself. I am glad she did because I thoroughly enjoyed your story and the other contributions that several made. You are right in attributing praise to Penny for keeping you up to the mark along the way. It does add interest when reading people's contributions to the Forums if you know something of their background. 

I read all of the forumites contributions even when I am not overly interested in the subject matter because the way they present their material reveals a lot about  them, particularly when their presentation is "robust".

It is a pity that more people didn't take up your challenge to reveal something of themselves but, if they are tempted, then in hindsight it might be better to start a new topic called something like "Forumites Biographies".

I think it is time for some Bread, Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar washed down with an NZ Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc.
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2018, 05:15:43 PM »

If that is what you are having for afternoon tea Ozzyjack can I join you  ???  :laugh:

Carol

Les303

« Reply #176 on: January 23, 2018, 06:23:43 PM »
So glad to here that I do have a couple of fans out there.
I never purposely set out to offend anyone & my intention is always simply to provide a laugh.
Of course that does not always work & actually backfires at times to make me look quite silly but I really could not care less.
I know that I quite often muck it up but usually the stuff ups are the funniest posts.

Sorry Jack but the reference to Justine was a failed attempt at humour. ( how could I ever forget the beautiful ozziejune? )

So who is going to be the next to share some of their background with the forum , perhaps our illustrious administrator could tell us a bit about how he came to develop this wonderful site & i'm certain that rogue mother would have a wonderful history to share?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 23, 2018, 08:38:25 PM »

If that is what you are having for afternoon tea Ozzyjack can I join you  ???  :laugh:

Carol

Of course, Carol, in this hot weather it’s the civilised way of keeping the hunger pangs away while hanging out for dinner after a very light lunch of seafood salad. As a Hunter Valley boy (well I was 60 years ago), I feel guilty not drinking Australian wines but our cousins across the ditch produce such high quality Sauvignon Blancs at a reasonable price that I quickly forgive myself.

Cheers

P.S.  I only drink Australian reds.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:42:15 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 24, 2018, 06:30:42 AM »
I've tried the Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc Jack & it is very good :) Here in the UK the Australian wines are generally quite a bit cheaper than their New Zealand cousins! Maybe it's because they have to travel a little bit further! We'll all be round for afternoon tea!
Penny
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #179 on: January 24, 2018, 07:15:59 PM »
Where in the Hunter, Ozzyjack?

I live in Muswellbrook.