Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814541 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2017, 06:55:11 AM »
I missed your post Les - heaven knows how!  I didn't sit up to listen to Test Match Special.  It was a "school night" & I had to be up at 6am for work this morning :(  I'm guessing that if it was 5.46pm in Brisbane then it was probably about 8am here? Are we about 10 or 11 hours behind you? I got the result as I arrived for work. I think, sadly, it was always a foregone conclusion :'(  Your Australian team have gone from being a bit rubbish a short while ago to a real force to be reckoned with.  Phenomenal bowling!
It sounds like you had an amazing time.  I wish I'd been there to join in!  I once saw a lone Ozzie try to outsing the Barmy Army at Trent Bridge (sorry I might have mentioned this before!)  It was hilarious :laugh: Cricket & Rugby as well are both great for having very good natured supporters.  I love the relationship between Australia & England.  Do hope you don't bale out of the Commonwealth.
I suspect the England team are now probably totally demoralised.  Shame.  Hopefully when the Ashes come back to England they might play better on home turf.
I was very surprised to read that temperatures get down into single figures in Brisbane in winter.  I always thought you had a fairly balmy (barmy?!) climate.
atb Penny
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Les303

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2017, 04:31:31 PM »
Les, I've read all your posts over the last how many years and have laughed and cried accordingly.  You are an absolute treat to this forum.  I think I'm in love.  Val xxx

Thanks for those kind words , Val & congratulations on your first post , would love to hear more from you. :-* ( on the cheek )
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:01:13 PM by Les303 »

Les303

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2017, 05:22:26 PM »

I missed your post Les - heaven knows how!  I didn't sit up to listen to Test Match Special.  It was a "school night" & I had to be up at 6am for work this morning :(  I'm guessing that if it was 5.46pm in Brisbane then it was probably about 8am here? Are we about 10 or 11 hours behind you? I got the result as I arrived for work. I think, sadly, it was always a foregone conclusion :'(  Your Australian team have gone from being a bit rubbish a short while ago to a real force to be reckoned with.  Phenomenal bowling!
It sounds like you had an amazing time.  I wish I'd been there to join in!  I once saw a lone Ozzie try to outsing the Barmy Army at Trent Bridge (sorry I might have mentioned this before!)  It was hilarious :laugh: Cricket & Rugby as well are both great for having very good natured supporters.  I love the relationship between Australia & England.  Do hope you don't bale out of the Commonwealth.
I suspect the England team are now probably totally demoralised.  Shame.  Hopefully when the Ashes come back to England they might play better on home turf.
I was very surprised to read that temperatures get down into single figures in Brisbane in winter.  I always thought you had a fairly balmy (barmy?!) climate.
atb Penny

Good morning Penny ,

I am surprised that Ozzyjack or 2dognight have not given us the exact time difference between Australia & England but what the hell , 10 or 11 hours sounds about right to me.
As you quite rightly point out Australian cricket has been rubbish over the past few years , now it is England's turn to endure a few years of rubbish until they unearth their next generation of world class players.
I also agree with all those comments that you made about Joe Root , a fine young man who needs to be relieved of the burden of captaincy to allow his own game to blossom , the problem is , who do you replace him with ?
I think it is sad but probably inevitable that we will eventually become a republic , I just hope that it happens long after I have gone.
With regard to our Brisbane winter temperatures , I did say occasionally.
I reckon our median temps over June / July which are our coldest months would probably be around 15 to 17 degrees & when we do happen to get more than just a couple of days that are below 10 degrees then we feel that we have been extremely hard done by.

Keep warm Pen.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:24:53 PM by Les303 »

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2017, 08:13:05 PM »
Back at you Les.  I was once a forumite many moons ago when the posts were, how would you say, somewhat more "robust" and I suppose I wasn't keen on their tone so I took my leave.  But these last couple of years seem to be much more positive and certainly entertaining.  And I particularly like your wonderful contributions, Les.  Keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:14:59 PM by Valerie »
I'll sleep in my next life

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2017, 11:06:24 PM »

I am surprised that Ozzyjack or 2dognight have not given us the exact time difference between Australia & England

I think it is sad but probably inevitable that we will eventually become a republic , I just hope that it happens long after I have gone.

Les, you’ve goaded me into being the pedant that you seem to think I am.

There is no one exact time difference between Australia and the UK.  It depends on your location in Australia and the time of the year.  Currently with only progressive Australian states on daylight saving time - 5:46 pm in Brisbane = 3:46 pm in Perth, WA = 7:46 am in the UK.  You would be aware that Queensland is one hour and ten years behind New South Wales but when an Ansett (now extinct) pilot pointed this out some years ago when NSW first introduced daylight saving, they sacked him.

Your view on the Republic seems to be in response to Penny’s wish that we do not bow out of the Commonwealth. They are two separate concepts. More than half of the Commonwealth nations are republics and since the 2007 Kampala declaration Australia wouldn’t even have to apply to retain membership. It would simply continue as a Commonwealth nation after becoming a republic.

And so, Les, it is my fervent hope that you continue giving us enjoyment in these forums for many years after Australia becomes a republic.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:14:21 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2017, 07:10:54 AM »
Evening Jack.  Thanks for allowing Les to goad you into explaining the time difference.  I was happy not to be a million miles away :) How far are you & Les apart?  I always forget how huge your country is! Also thanks for your interesting point about the Commonwealth.  As far as I'm concerned our relationship with Australia & New Zealand is more "special" than that with the USA.  Just my thought that's all.

Evening to you Les. I always struggle to get my head round the fact that you celebrate Christmas in the summer! Your climate (apart from the thunderstorms!) sounds almost perfect.  We had a couple of radiographers from work emigrate to Oz a few years ago.  One to Brisbane & one to Perth.  They love it & are unlikely to return.  A friend who is an A&E consultant moved to Adelaide 3 years ago.  He was only coming for a year but doesn't look like returning home any time soon.  He said doctors are more highly valued & are treated much better.
Stay cool Les
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Les303

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2017, 05:39:12 PM »
Gooday Jack ,

Rather than a pedant , I simply perceive you to be a very sage man who , as an added bonus , just happens to have a great sense of humour. ( I don't like telling him but I do have a similar opinion of our Chi administrator. )

It's been a long time since I last heard this one ;
" You would be aware that Queensland is one hour and ten years behind New South Wales " ..just hilarious.
 And to echo Penny's request , what suburb are you in?

And to take it a step further & if for no other reason than to give the forum some respite from my ramblings , I would really appreciate to hear a bit of an overview of your life in Australia.
Jack , the last thing that I want to do is to invade your privacy or ask you to talk about anything that you might be uncomfortable with so if you prefer not to respond then I fully understand but I am certain that the entire forum would like to hear your story.

If you do choose to share some stories with us , here's a few tips just to get you started.
I seem to recall seeing an ozziejune on the scoreboard who enjoys nothing more than beating ozziejack. ( wife , relative , friend or maybe even secret lover ? )
Were you born , married in Australia or are you an immigrant , how many kids , grandkids & what did you do during your working life.?

Valerie

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2017, 05:43:50 PM »
Hmmmm, how about you telling us all about your good self, Les.  I am sure it would be a wonderful story.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 05:45:52 PM by Valerie »

Les303

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2017, 06:01:00 PM »
I'm guessing that ozziejack is quite a few years older than me & would have a much more colourful history to relate than my own rather boring life story but I am an open book & happy to share some of my life experiences .. where would you like me to start ?

Les303

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2017, 06:15:30 PM »
Hi Penny ,

You know how they do those surveys of the general populace asking them to rank the most trusted professions , inevitably , Doctors / Nurses top our lists while & lawyers / real estate agents come in equal last.

Queensland , beautiful one day , perfect the next .

Oh bugger , I've lost track of the time missed the last race at Doomben.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 06:29:24 PM by Les303 »

Les303

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2017, 06:25:43 PM »
Hmmmm, how about you telling us all about your good self, Les.  I am sure it would be a wonderful story.

Ok , Val , I will do it in segments from when I was born & hopefully ozziejack will follow suit & then of course you will be required to reciprocate.

Les303

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2017, 07:01:41 PM »
I was born in 1959 in a small country town called Childers.
I had 3 older siblings that were all two years apart.
My dad worked as a linesman for P.O. & we were doing  ok until he had a fall from the top of a pole & injured his back  which meant that he could no longer do that type of work.
So I am about 2 years old when we moved to Dalby ( a much bigger country town ) where dad had secured a job as a carpenter.
We were very lucky to be allocated a modest housing commission home in which to live but dad was struggling to find enough carpentry work to pay the rent & feed the family so mum ( who had never had to work before ) quickly found herself a job in an ironing / dry cleaning business & then when that folded she soon found another as a waitress at a diner.
As dad managed to pick up more clients & his reputation within the town grew , things began to get better & we were living a modest but comfortable lifestyle.
Dalby , which is located on the Darling Downs has pretty extreme temperatures , very hot summers & very cold winters.
Fortunately our home was furnished with a classic wood stove which heated the entire home.
Of course that meant that the wood box had to be kept stocked at all times so duties were allocated accordingly.
The eldest brother was responsible for the big wood & middle brother for the middle wood & chips ... Les you can do the chips when you are a bit older but until then it is your responsibility to collect all the wood that your brothers have chopped , carry it inside & make sure that the wood box is always fully loaded.
I cannot remember exactly but I would have been about 6 or 7 years old however I do remember the dressing down that I got from mum when she arrived home from work because while I was laying on the lounge room floor watching cartoons , the wood box had not been filled so tea would be late.
Then dad arrives home shortly after ... why isn't tea ready ... no wood , Les went off playing footy & forgot to fill the wood box ... go & collect that wood now ... but it's dark outside .. He's so mad that he demands that I go & collect the wood right now.

I tentatively make my way to the wood pile in the dark.
All I can think of is the big spiders , lizards & snakes that I know live in this wood pile.

Next thing , middle brother appears with a bright torch light & we quickly scoop up the required wood ...Tea was a bit late but all was forgiven & a life lesson learnt.

A few weeks pass & unbeknown to mum & dad , middle brother , keen to shirk the task , gives me intensive tuition on how to use the rusty old tomahawk to cut the small chips.
After constant badgering , dad finally agrees to witness how well I can cut the chips and agrees to allocate that duty to me.

By coincidence Christmas is only a couple of weeks away.
As I opened my present on that Christmas day , tears streamed down my face as I saw my very own brand new tomahawk.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:59:11 PM by Les303 »

Valerie

• Word-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2017, 08:14:10 PM »
Oh good heavens, Les, you are such a youngster.  I feel like a cradle snatcher.
Okay, I'll take up your challenge.
Born Dingwall Scotland 1948.  Then Gold Coast Africa (Ghana).  Father mining engineer.  Every three years R&R in UK.  Then South America (British Guiana now Guyana).  Returned Scotland at 6 years old where I was left with distant aunt for approx three years whilst parents went to Thailand.  Flew out to join them at nine years old (wearing kilt(!) on disembarking Bangkok!).  Met new brother already two years old (horrors!).  Boarding School Penang Malaysia until end 1961.  Then back to UK age 13.  Emigrated downunder as Ten Pound Pom in 1965.  Half brain removed in 1987.  Haven't looked back since.  Been around Austraila many times in our camper-trailer.  Wouldn't live anywhere else.  Heaven on earth.  But, please do continue ...

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2017, 09:33:28 PM »
Good evening to you all. I'm really enjoying this forum and felt the need to remind/inform you all of just how vast this great country is. I too am an alien...arrived from Scotland at the ripe old age of 8....in 1962. I have driven quite a few kilometres around Australia and have loved it all. We (my husband of 43yrs and I ) are  Itching to get going again. Please keep the stories coming. 
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2017, 01:07:32 AM »
Gooday Jack ,
Were you born , married in Australia or are you an immigrant , how many kids , grandkids & what did you do during your working life.?

G’day, Les et al.

The answers to your questions are: yes, yes, no, 2, 2, a shinybum in the Federal public service.

Despite being a shy, retiring violet, i will expand a little later but not now as I interrupted my sleep to have a quick peek at the forum and I need another 4 hours kip before we drive 80 km to the outskirts of Sydney to play our weekly golf match with some old ( their ages not how long we have known them) friends shortly after 7’ o’clock.

But I will leave you with a teaser.  I live in a household of four of which I am the least intelligent, namely Ozzyjune and two Border Collies.

Looking forward to other stories. Zzzz
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:13:06 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack