Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814639 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2017, 06:39:19 AM »
Last time I looked I was still of the female persuasion & I loathe & detest shopping with a passion!  Especially at this time of year.  It's a hard enough job trying to decide what to buy in the way of gifts for family/friends but then to have to contemplate a shopping centre packed to the gills & playing the same of Christmas music is my idea of torment :(
The internet is my friend at the moment.  Hope the post office is too :laugh:
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2017, 07:16:47 AM »
I'm with you on that one, Penny. I loathe shopping, too. I don't have a bigger problem at this time of the year, though, as I'm a bah-humbugger who doesn't do christmas at all. I abandoned it about 10 years ago and now completely ignore it.

Les303

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2017, 05:19:13 PM »
Thanks for that post , Pat , you've allowed me enough time to cancel delivery of that ridiculously expensive Christmas gift that I was planning for you.
To be fair & just in case any other forumite might share your sentiments about Christmas , I've also cancelled all the cheques & gifts that I was arranging for all the other forumites.

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2017, 08:31:37 PM »
Phew, that's a relief, Les. When I cancelled christmas I made sure to tell all those with whom I exchanged gifts (most of whom, I have to say, were quite happy about it - one less person to fret about what to buy for). Obviously I neglected to inform you so my previous post came just in time for you.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2017, 06:36:37 AM »
Oh Les what a disappointment!  I was looking forward to that ridiculously hunky surfing dude you were going to post me :laugh: Oh well better luck next year....

Les303

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2017, 07:03:19 PM »
Pat ,

To be truthful , I actually share a lot of your sentiments when it comes to Christmas.
I haven't cancelled it entirely because when there are grandkids or any relatives around who are under about 10 years of age then I think you have to keep the fantasy of " Santa " alive.

My dilemma is , what do you do when you specifically tell your adult relatives & friends " ok , I will accept the invite  to your Christmas party , but just remember our agreement that will not be exchanging any gifts. "
So i turn up at the party & people are giving me gifts , one after the other &  because I have absolutely nothing to  give in return , I feel embarrassed. ?

Penny , I had Mick Fanning all lined up to come & visit you on Christmas day but then this happened ...

pat

• Eulexic
  • Rugby, England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2017, 02:42:42 AM »
Les, I agree that where kids are concerned, christmas is a magical time and it's important to keep it that way for them.

I never had your dilemma because I spend christmas on my own and have done so for many years. I prefer it that way. In the scenario you paint, if you've already made it clear that exchanging gifts is off the menu I don't see what the problem is. Actually, some people's idea of what christmas is about was revealed to me when I announced that I wouldn't be sending christmas cards any more. The response of some was 'well if you're not going to send me one I'm not going to send you one'. True christmas spirit, that. I had far more respect for those people who said 'well you might be a miserable old git but it doesn't mean I have to be one', and continued (and still do continue) to send cards to me.

Les303

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2017, 03:37:28 PM »
 8)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2017, 06:45:52 AM »
Oh dear Les what a shame :( was he eaten by the shark? Story of my life - the one that got away!! :laugh:

Les303

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2017, 04:47:47 PM »
Hi Penny , that incident actually took place a few years ago in South Africa.
It was a round of the world title series so it was obviously being televised.
As the camera zoomed in on this huge " white pointer " approaching Mick , the commentators were expressing their grave concerns as the huge swell of an approaching wave hid Mick from the camera for about 3 to 4 seconds.
You can just imagine the despair of everyone watching this live on T.V.
As the swell rolled through & Mick came back into view there was overwhelming relief to see that he had managed to fend off the monster without sustaining any physical injury.
And just to give you an indication of the character of this " world champion surfer " he returned the following year to compete in the same event at the same venue as he continued to chase further world titles.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2017, 06:24:41 AM »
Crikey Les he obviously has no fear whatsoever! You are mine of interesting stories :)
Penny

Les303

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2017, 09:03:39 PM »
Penny ,

It's 5.46pm in Brisbane & we have just regained the ashes.
I was trying to work out what time it would be in England but as my understanding of time zones is no better than my ability with a compass , I just gave up because I probably would have ended up with the time for Birdsville.
I know that when the ashes are played in England , I find myself sitting up to the wee hours of the morning to watch the games in our freezing winter. (our winter temperatures do occasionally drop in to single figures )
So I was just curious if the reverse scenario was the same for you.?

There is a group of about six or seven pommies that are regulars at my local & we all get along famously ,that is until  there happens to be an Ashes series in progress.
This afternoon , all the regulars were there & despite the dire situation that England were in " John the pom " as we affectionately call him , led his group into boisterous songs that the barmy army would be proud of.
Of course our group came back with renditions of our own version of typical Ozzie songs.
There were many discussions , back & forward about selectors decisions , weather conditions , umpires decisions etc .. & as the beers flowed all sorts of bets were being proposed by both sides such as , Vince will score a ton , Lyon won't take a wicket , Marsh is overrated etc..& of course the loser of each bet had to shout the next round for the entire group.

The interaction between our two groups never got out of hand & in fact entertained the entire patronage of the club including the manager ( who ,would you believe it , is a bloody pom ) & even though England had lost he put on an open bar for 30 minutes to celebrate the result.

How wonderful is the diversity of Australia , the fact that we had a group of pommies there & not just an entire roomful of people cheering for Australia , it made the afternoon twice as enjoyable & got everybody including those who knew nothing about cricket , totally involved.

Cheers Les

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:06:20 PM by Les303 »

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2017, 10:59:51 PM »
Les, I've read all your posts over the last how many years and have laughed and cried accordingly.  You are an absolute treat to this forum.  I think I'm in love.  Val xxx
I'll sleep in my next life

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2017, 12:45:29 AM »
I think I'm in love.  Val xxx

Welcome to the forum, Val.  We all love Les but they do say love is blind.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2017, 06:10:49 AM »
Hear hear! It was a great day when Les joined the forum :)  They certainly broke the mould when they made him :laugh: