Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814399 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 06:41:43 AM »
Hilarious Les :laugh: - I love it thanks.  Keep them coming!  Penny
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

whisky

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »
I enjoy these off topic digressions.

It reminds me of a friend, an older friend, who is an avid golfer.
He came home one day from golf, and said ruefully to his wife;
"I may have to give up golf, my eyesight is deteriorating, and I cannot see where the ball lands".
His wife replied "Why don't you take my older brother along with you, sure he 80, but his eyesight is excellent".

The next week the brother-in-law duly accompanied him.

My friend hit a magnificent drive off the first tee.

"Did you see where it landed?" he asked his brother-in-law.
"Yes".
"Where?"

"I forget !" replied the brother-in law.

Les303

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 05:12:28 PM »
I like it Michael , here is a matching cartoon to further illuminate your very funny joke.

And since the theme is now about " old golfers " I 've opted for this joke just to illustrate that sometimes the older fellows can still put it over the younger ones.

A young man who was also an avid golfer found himself with a few hours to spare one afternoon. He figured if he hurried and played very fast, he could get in nine holes before he had to head home. Just as he was about to tee off an old gentleman shuffled onto the tee and asked if he could accompany the young man as he was golfing alone. Not being able to say no, he allowed the old gent to join him.

To his surprise the old man played fairly quickly. He didn't hit the ball far, but plodded along consistently and didn't waste much time. Finally, they reached the 9th fairway and the young man found himself with a tough shot. There was a large pine tree right in front of his ball - and directly between his ball and the green.

After several minutes of debating how to hit the shot the old man finally said, "You know, when I was your age I'd hit the ball right over that tree."

With that challenge placed before him, the youngster swung hard, hit the ball up, right smack into the top of the tree trunk and it thudded back on the ground not a foot from where it had originally lay.

The old man offered one more comment, "Of course, when I was your age that pine tree was only three feet tall."

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 06:17:29 AM »
Thanks for both the golfing jokes :laugh:.  Cheered me up after England's awful performance in the 2nd Ashes Test :'( Who on earth thought it was a good idea to have a day/night test match? ???

Les303

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
Penny , the decision to play the day/night test match in Adelaide was met with a lot of criticism here in Australia.
Most commentators & a lot of supporters were bagging our administrators for basically giving this match to England on a platter as the weather forecast , expected pitch condition & the swinging pink ball were all conditions that would favour England & make them feel right at home.

I'm afraid that after that performance , England are now odds on for a 5 nil whitewash.

What do think about Ben Stokes being nominally selected for the one day squad?

On yet another tangent , if you google " jack kennedy jockey " you will see a video of an incredible horse race where this young jockey is actually thrown out of his saddle but manages to regain control & even more incredibly , goes on to win the race. ( with live betting available , at the time of the incident his odds blew out to 390 to 1.)

Cheers Les

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:37:02 AM by Les303 »

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »
I don't follow horse-racing at all, but I did happen to see the clip you're referring to.

Amazing

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/dec/07/jack-kennedy-incredible-recovery-win-robin-des-mana-clonmel

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 06:30:50 AM »
Oh Les I'm afraid you're right about the 5-nil whitewash.  I don't think that Ben Stokes should be selected to play for England in the foreseeable.  What he did just wasn't cricket! If he was with the team now I think the outcome probably wouldn't be quite so dire.  My worry is what affect this is going to have on Joe Root.  I wonder if he might resign if it's a whitewash.  I wish they'd waited until he was a bit older before picking him as captain.  He's a wonderful cricketer & a smashing person but this could hurt him & his game badly.  Hopefully his steely inner core will protect him!! As far as Ben Stokes is concerned I don't think his behaviour can be easily forgiven whatever provocation there might have been.  They are role models to lots of youngsters.  It got me thinking back to 2005 when Freddie Flintoff got caught drunk in charge of a pedalo after the Ashes win!!  Silly harmless fun but it proves that they're always in the public eye. Penny

Les303

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 08:10:16 PM »
" Who on earth thought it was a good idea to have a day/night test match? ".... quote from Penny.

I think that English cricket is currently going through the same sort of transition that Australian cricket has been going through in recent times.
It has only been over the last couple of years that Australia has been able to finally rebuild a decent test squad that has depth to it with plenty of emerging players in the background doing their very best to bring themselves to the attention of the national selectors.

After a couple of losses , the selectors of any touring side will usually come under all sorts of criticism as to why player " A , B or C " was not selected for the tour however this has not been the case in this instance because ( aside from Stokes ) you just do not have the depth of talent available to replace anyone in your current squad.

In my opinion , the problems for test cricket started with the proliferation of ' meaningless ' one day tournaments around the cricketing world which were held for no other reason than to make money for all involved.
Then came the phenomenon of 20/20 which really captured the imagination of the public & the death bells were ringing for the end of traditional test cricket.

It was just too easy for an up & coming or for that matter an established player who had been on the fringe of test selection to go off around the world playing in these big money tournaments where he could set himself up financially for the rest of his life & did not really care that those decisions may prevent him from ever representing his country in test cricket.

Our cricket board accepted that this was inevitable & allowed , even contracted players , to play in these tournaments as long as it did not conflict with our test or shield schedules.

Despite the challenge from the shorter form of the game , test cricket hit back with brilliant & exciting series against New Zealand , South Africa , India & England , the public appreciated the nuances of test cricket that can only be achieved over a five day war as opposed to the little tiff of a 20/20 hit & giggle game.

However there is still a huge challenge for test cricket to remain relevant.
Authorities have been trying to address this by enforcing minimum over rates ,allowing time to be made up the following day when play has been lost to rain , allowing lights to be turned on to extend a days play , introducing the referral system to eliminate bad decisions & most importantly trying to encourage groundsmen around the world to produce pitches that will allow an even contest between bat & ball rather than a pitch which is " just a road " batsmen on both sides score centuries left , right & centre resulting in a very boring game which is why , to answer your question Penny , the day/night game is being introduced because it provides a much more even contest between bat & ball which will usually result in a much more exciting game.

I agree that Stokes should be stockaded rather than selected.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 08:20:41 PM by Les303 »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2017, 06:56:52 AM »
That's really very interesting Les.
I love a really good test match but my daughter & most of my friends would rather poke themselves in the eye with a blunt stick! One friend suggested I sell the ticket I got for day 3 of a test match at Trent Bridge last year & pop round to her house to watch the paint drying while she was decorating!!
I was at Trent Bridge in 2005 for 2 days of the Ashes test.  It was fantastic! Both sides played their socks off. The atmosphere was amazing & the banter between the English & Aussies in the crowd was brilliant & very good natured. You'd never get that at a football match! I do hope test matches continue to be relevant & don't disappear.   20/20 is a bit of fun & ok for those with the attention span of a goldfish!  A one day 50 over match can be very exciting.
If I ever win the lottery I will cruise to Oz (sadly I don't fly!) & watch the Ashes there & then cruise home!  Penny

yelnats

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
    • Burke Rd billabong reserve & Friends of Herring Island
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 07:43:36 AM »
http://patricemorin.com/spip.php?article1746

the only interesting game of cricket I've ever seen was in Noumea,  New Caledonia. Played by women in traditional dress, a batter and runner each end, a bowler each end, and they use the English cricket terms while speaking French or creole.

Les303

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 04:55:26 PM »

If I ever win the lottery I will cruise to Oz (sadly I don't fly!) & watch the Ashes there & then cruise home!  Penny

Penny , please be careful what you wish for because if you happen to ever come cruising too close to me , then you might just end up getting ship wrecked & become stranded in Oz. :angel:

Les303

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 04:58:59 PM »
http://patricemorin.com/spip.php?article1746

the only interesting game of cricket I've ever seen was in Noumea,  New Caledonia. Played by women in traditional dress, a batter and runner each end, a bowler each end, and they use the English cricket terms while speaking French or creole.

Stan , I would much rather be playing or watching a game of good old fashioned beach cricket ;

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 06:29:46 AM »
Oh Les you do make me laugh :laugh: I can think of many worse fates than being shipwrecked in Oz near you! Not sure I'd last long in the drinking stakes though. I'm a bit of a lightweight! 
We have had heavy snowfall last night & all day & now it's freezing. :o  I'm dreading the drive to work in the morning. :-C Bet you have lovely warm sun at the moment.
Penny

Les303

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 02:40:08 PM »
It was a moderate 27 degrees on Sunday although very muggy (humid ) which we all know is a sure sign that there is going to be an afternoon thunder storm.
The worst of the storm hit the North Coast Region at about 7.00pm bringing down huge trees , localised flash flooding & cutting power to thousands of residents.
Some of those fallen trees brought down about 4 kilometres of over head power lines in the Beerwah / Landsborough area which of course meant the immediate suspension of all rail traffic through that corridor.
They are saying that it will take up to 3 days to repair the damage before the trains can resume running.

Similar temperatures today although not as muggy so fingers crossed that this afternoon's storm will not be so severe.

That all sounds very gloomy but most of our afternoon thunder storms do very little damage.
In fact we actually look forward to them as they fill our water tanks & provide relief from the day's humidity.
A favourite past time of most people living in this great state is to make them themselves comfortable on the back veranda or balcony to watch the approaching storm.
With a cool beverage in hand we stake our spots on the balcony & watch the skies as the air begins to cool & dark clouds emerge , slowly becoming bigger & bigger.
There is usually a lot of debate & predictions / guesses from all of us self proclaimed experts about exactly what this particular storm will deliver. (there is hardly any green in these clouds so we won't be getting any hail etc... )
Suddenly , day is turning into night , as the ever darking clouds are rapidly covering the whole horizon & so the show begins with deafening thunder (no I didn't flinch at all , I knew it was coming ) in tandem with an absolutely breath taking lightening show.

They even wrote a song about it ;

https://www.last.fm/.../_/Sounds+of+Then+(This+Is+Australia)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:45:49 PM by Les303 »

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 07:27:22 PM »

what's rain  ???