Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 873158 times)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9825 on: July 29, 2023, 12:32:08 AM »
I love a quiz

Quelle surprise, Pen, so do I!  Hubby and I wandered into a pub (by mistake, of course) in your neck of the woods - Buckingham - one evening and there was a quiz night being held so we joined in.  Would have been good fun if mobile phones had been banned - we didn't stand a chance against the youths Googling all the answers.  >:(

Just back from Keswick - surprisingly quiet for the time of year - and looking forward to Chicken Kievs tonight!!  Maybe a few peas and chips on the side! >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9826 on: July 29, 2023, 04:44:24 AM »

Quelle surprise, Pen, so do I!  Hubby and I wandered into a pub (by mistake, of course) in your neck of the woods - Buckingham - one evening and there was a quiz night being held so we joined in.  Would have been good fun if mobile phones had been banned - we didn't stand a chance against the youths Googling all the answers.  >:(

Just back from Keswick - surprisingly quiet for the time of year - and looking forward to Chicken Kievs tonight!!  Maybe a few peas and chips on the side! >:D

I'm still wondering how you managed to wander into a pub by accident Linda  >:D I think that's dreadful :( I would have been hopping mad if I'd been there and all those youths were cheating.  It's not cricket :laugh:

Hope you enjoyed your Kievs.  Zoe and I had chicken, stuffing, chips, beans and gravy.  Very delish :)

I think you missed my comment a few days back.  I'm not very enamoured of the new presenter of University Challenge :(  He's put me off a bit I have to be honest.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9827 on: July 29, 2023, 07:03:13 PM »
I think you missed my comment a few days back.  I'm not very enamoured of the new presenter of University Challenge :(

I had missed it, Pen.  I'm not keen either.  He talks too fast, reads the questions from a hulking great monitor type thing and is certainly no Paxman!  By chance I happened to see him on Richard Osman's Game of Thrones and he was useless - came last - and the programme isn't exactly challenging - unlike University Challenge!

No builder in today so I am safe.....  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9828 on: July 29, 2023, 08:34:35 PM »

I had missed it, Pen.  I'm not keen either.  He talks too fast, reads the questions from a hulking great monitor type thing and is certainly no Paxman!  By chance I happened to see him on Richard Osman's Game of Thrones and he was useless - came last - and the programme isn't exactly challenging - unlike University Challenge!

No builder in today so I am safe.....  >:D

Pleased to hear you have easy access to the bathroom today Linda :laugh:

I rather suspected you'd agree with me :)  Now you've reminded me I saw him on House of Games - (not Game of Thrones! Never fancied it much >:D :laugh:) and you're right he was totally hopeless.  As you say not very challenging :-R

Sunny and breezy here so I've risked my towels on the line.  Bit black over Will's so may have to do my Linford Christie impression in a little while :laugh:  Not 100 metres more like about five!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9829 on: July 29, 2023, 09:16:17 PM »
Hi Jack

I'm going to be very brave and risk a rebus today.  Hope it's considerably more successful than my last effort!

It's a film from the 1970's.  I haven't seen it and don't think it's my cup of tea.

7 (#4 +#3) #2 #3 8 (#4 + #4)

Please use the last two letters of picture three and the first four letters of picture five.  You need three consecutive letters from the middle of picture four.  Two homophones and please pretend it's all on one line.

What do you call a meditating wolf?
Aware wolf!

What do you call a man with a seagull on his head?
Cliff!

What do you call a man with a spade on his head?
Doug!

What do you call a rabbit with fleas?
Bugs Bunny

Leave you with the naffest jokes I could find ;D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9830 on: July 29, 2023, 09:47:26 PM »
not Game of Thrones! Never fancied it much

Me neither!  Although I do have a framed poster of a cat reading a book and drinking a glass of wine with the quote 'That's what I do. I read books, I drink wine and I know things' which is apparently from Game of Thrones?  Don't know.  Hubby bought it for me as he thought it summed me up quite well.  Not sure about the 'knowing things' bit mind!!  >:D

Tuna, onion and lashings of salad cream in a crusty baguette for lunch today.   >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9831 on: July 29, 2023, 11:42:06 PM »
I like the sound of your poster Linda :)  Hubby obviously has good taste!  Must have if he has you :laugh:  If you're anything like me you're full of useless information >:D

Zoe read all the Game of Thrones books and then watched the telly series.  It irritated her that they didn't stay true to the books :(

I treated myself to an M&S chicken caesar baguette for lunch.  I like lunch that I haven't made myself on a Saturday!  Sweet chilli chicken and noodles for tea.  Yum :-H

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9832 on: July 30, 2023, 12:22:54 PM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses
Pen 29/7

Pen 26/7

Pen 25/7

Pen 23/7

Pen 21/7

Date reflects the author's time zone.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 12:25:22 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9833 on: July 31, 2023, 12:13:13 AM »
Hi Jack

I'm presuming you're back at home with Bonnie by now.  Bet she was pleased to see you :)

When I switched the telly on yesterday tea time there was an old black and white film on.  A classic.  Going to attempt to make it into a rebus.

5 (#4 + #1) 9 (#2 + #5 + #2)

Can you remember the chemical symbol for the metal railings in picture two?  You need the first letter.  Please lose the first letter of picture three and the first two letters of picture five.  Change the first letter of picture four and pretend it's all on one line please.

Duck walks into a bar...

"Got any bread?"
"No"
"Got any bread?"
"No"
"Got any bread?"
"No...and if you ask me again I'll nail your beak to the bar"
"Got any nails?"
"No"
"Got any bread?"

Know it's as old as the hills but it still tickles me ;D

As nobody else is going to do it I'd better put the kettle on myself.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 12:15:51 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9834 on: July 31, 2023, 11:04:53 AM »
Your pictures from the 77th floor gave me the collywobbles  :o

Hi Pen,

I don’t think you would get the Collywobbles if you were actually there.  I get vertigo when I go passed the first rung of a stepladder but I had no feeling of discomfort looking out at the view.

Your rebus was a superb presentation of a movie held in high regard by the movie Buffs, then and now.  It would not be my cup of tea because I am not into movies about relationships and soul searching.  I prefer a bit of real action.   Did you realise that Noël Coward, who wrote the one-act play that the movie was based on, had an uncredited role as the railway station announcer?

Bonnie was glad to see us and slipped seamlessly into our normal routines when we returned home.

We have an agist practice here in Australia (at least in NSW and Qld) that once you turn 75 you must get a medical certificate annually from your doctor declaring that you are fit to keep driving.  I must face the inquisition this afternoon.

Blue’s Neighbour just got a divorce from his cross-eyed wife.  They didn’t see eye to eye.  He also found out she was seeing someone on the side.

When Sheila told Blue he should stop impersonating a flamingo, he had to put his foot down.

I’ve started investing in stocks: beef, vegetable and chicken. One day I hope to be a bullionaire.

I asked Blue what the quickest way would be to Mount Cotton.  He asked, ”Are you walking or driving?”.  “Driving”, I replied.  “Yeah, that would be quickest”, he quipped.

Blue tried to start up a support group for people with erectile dysfunction.  It was a total flop and nobody came.

I heard you once trained his dog to play the trumpet on the London underground.  The dog went from Barking to Tooting in just over an hour.

My spies tell me you are taking the day off work.  I hope you have an exceptionally pleasing day.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 11:37:26 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9835 on: July 31, 2023, 06:27:30 PM »
When I switched the telly on yesterday tea time there was an old black and white film on.

Indeed there was, Pen and it is one of my favourites, of course!

I am not really into films that much but I do love this one.  Love the accents - very tickety boo!

Dentist later this morning - just a check up so not too bad, at least it's not a session with the flaming hygienist.  I should think I will be at least £60 lighter when I get home!  Scandalous.  Ten minutes poking about in a mouth for £60 plus quid.  Not a job I would like to do though - ugh!

Will deserve a nice lunch today, I think.  Might treat myself to a pasty.  :-H  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9836 on: July 31, 2023, 10:29:00 PM »
I am not really into films that much but I do love this one.  Love the accents - very tickety boo!

Dentist later this morning - just a check up so not too bad, at least it's not a session with the flaming hygienist.  I should think I will be at least £60 lighter when I get home!  Scandalous.  Ten minutes poking about in a mouth for £60 plus quid.  Not a job I would like to do though - ugh!

Will deserve a nice lunch today, I think.  Might treat myself to a pasty.  :-H  >:D

Hope you enjoyed your pasty Linda :-H I made a cheese and tuna sarnie and toasted it.  My own version of a tuna melt.  Very delish even if I do say so myself ;D

I have Denplan and pay £14.93 a month.  That gets me 2 check ups and 2 visits to the hygienist so it's quite good value for money.

I do enjoy a good film. Like you I love the accents. All very proper :laugh:  I like a bit of Fred and Ginger and Singing in the Rain is a cracker.  Morecambe and Wise did a great take off :laugh:

Eric & Ern

Not sure if that'll stick.  Looking at the sky it'll be raining here again before long.

How's the work coming along?  Are you getting anywhere near choosing your kitchen units yet?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 10:31:31 PM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9837 on: July 31, 2023, 10:53:20 PM »

I don’t think you would get the Collywobbles if you were actually there.  I get vertigo when I go passed the first rung of a stepladder but I had no feeling of discomfort looking out at the view.

I prefer a bit of real action.   Did you realise that Noël Coward, who wrote the one-act play that the movie was based on, had an uncredited role as the railway station announcer?

Hi Jack

I very much enjoyed your post.  Great to hear from Blue :laugh: I'm having a very pleasing day thanks - I have to pop out and run an errand in a little while :)   I had no idea about Noel Coward's involvement in that film - most interesting.  I seem to recall he was in the original (and best) Italian Job.

I wish I wasn't but I'm a total dead loss at any sort of heights even in a tall building when I know I'm perfectly safe.  I used to work in Stephenson House in Bletchley which was an eight storey black glass building (as ugly as it sounds :() We were in a bank on the ground floor.  There was a subsidised restaurant on the top floor and I never managed to get up there.  I did to to the fourth floor to the tax office once.  I hated it and my legs were wobbly.  Couldn't get out of there quick enough :laugh: 

I do hope the inquisition with the Doctor went well.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 11:04:54 PM by Hobbit »

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9838 on: August 01, 2023, 12:38:20 AM »
How's the work coming along?  Are you getting anywhere near choosing your kitchen units yet?

You're joking!  For a small extension it is taking a lot of hacking about!  Builder can only come as and when, plumber the same.  We did get electrician in to move cooker out of kitchen and into one end of sitting room - I know, far from ideal but needs must - so that walls can be knocked down.  It's all a bit of a mess at the moment but it also means I have an excuse not to dust.  We have bought new shower and flooring for bathroom and I have my eye on kitchen units for when the time eventually arrives.  Plan A has been knocked on the head as the units I liked just happened to be the most expensive in the shop and when I looked at them again found that they tended to leave fingermarks on the surfaces which would drive me mad.  Anyway, the new units look just as nice so can't wait to get the designer to get to work.  As long as I have my wine chiller I'm happy!

Dentist was fine(ish) and I only had to pay £52.80 - bargain!!

Pasty was delish and your sarnie sounds yum.  Just been for a walk but although it's quite warm it's drizzling and dull so come back in for coffee and sit down.  Might put on Tipping Point soon but Ben annoys me a bit.  Will be watching Only Connect and University Challenge later to keep the little grey cells working!  Day out in Richmond and Barnard Castle tomorrow - might even pop into Bowes Museum if we get time.   >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9839 on: August 01, 2023, 04:33:49 AM »
Oh Linda it still sounds a bit of a nightmare :(  At least if the cookers in the sitting room it might be nearer the table >:D  Don't have to carry food very far!  It's a great excuse not to get the feather duster out :laugh:

I like tipping point but I do know what you mean about Ben.  Can be a bit irritating :(  I'll be watching only Connect but not University Challenge.  The man's too annoying >:(

Don't suppose you'll see this now but have a great day out in Richmond and Barnard Castle tomorrow :)  Hope it keeps fine!

Penx