Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814651 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9390 on: March 28, 2023, 03:03:41 PM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses

Jack 28/3

Pen 27/3

Jack 27/3

Pen 25/3

Jack 25/3

Pen 23/3

Pen 22/3

Date reflects the author's time zone.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9391 on: March 29, 2023, 12:35:42 AM »

The only grumpy cook around here is me. :D

I am trying to mix the rebuses up.  You've set the bar very high.  The subject of my rebus today is a famous Soviet composer.

But I better have lunch ready when she returns.

Hi Jack

I'm having a bit of a lazy day today.  It's pouring with rain at the moment.  I thought I'd do a quick post while I wait for it to stop.

I think your rebuses are very excellent and much more imaginative than mine :-*  I've got an idea for a rebus and I'm crossing my fingers that I haven't used it before.  It's an opera.

3 7 (#2 + #5) #2 8 (#4* + #4)

THE

Pictures one and six are both homophones.  You need to brush up on your Greek Mythology for picture two.  What are they collectively known as? and then please change the first letter.  Please use the first two letters of picture three and reverse them.  *You need Mum in picture four and also picture five to make the beginning of the last word.  Please pretend it's all on one line. 

Do hope June got her lunch in a timely fashion >:D

It's stopped raining at last - going out for some fresh air.  I'll probably be AWOL for a couple of days as I'm meeting an old friend tomorrow and Zoe's taking me to Oxford on Thursday to visit the elderly relies  :)

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9392 on: March 29, 2023, 07:37:44 AM »
I had a lovely walk round Furzton Lake this morning :)
My easy peasy rebus today is an opera.  I had a feeling I may have used it before but I've had a search & couldn't find anything so fingers crossed.
I've got an idea for a rebus and I'm crossing my fingers that I haven't used it before.  It's an opera.
Do hope June got her lunch in a timely fashion >:D
I'll probably be AWOL for a couple of days.

Hi Pen,

As the the mortein ad goes "When you are on a good thing, stick to it"..  And this time was a much more erudite presentation and no easy peasy nonsesense.  :D

June got back from Cleveland exhausted. Ruby is hard to keep up with.  June took a couple of photos which I will retrieve later today but they are much the same as Cat took the other day.

I have a few things on the boil at the moment which I will expound on later.  Bonnie is waiting impatiently for her walk.

Enjoy the next couple of days.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9393 on: March 30, 2023, 11:22:33 AM »
Zoe's taking me to Oxford on Thursday to visit the elderly relies  :)

Hi Pen and other dog lovers.,

You should go well.  You've had plenty of practice communicating with an elderly person.  :D

While you are away, I will do a post on dogs.

Michelle, one of our family of dog walkers, put a post on Facebook recently which I think is worth sharing.

Quote from: Michelle

"Puppies are hard work"...
I have heard this from not one or two families in the last few months but several.

One of my first time puppy mom's said that she wished it was talked about more and that someone had told her how hard raising a puppy was. That stopped me dead in my tracks.

I've been around pups my whole life and to me, puppies aren't hard because I have years of experience behind me but for those parents who grew up without a pup in the house as a child or have forgotten what it was like adopting their first pup, it can be intimidating. It can cause frustration, anger, self doubt and tears are normal.

Puppies are hard work. They are destructive. They chew, bite, eat your furniture, skirting boards, carpets, clothes, garden furniture...pretty much everything and they test their boundaries. CONSTANTLY. They require education and reinforcement once they have learnt the basics. They require constant attention and supervision at least the first few months. Not to mention you are now responsible for a living, breathing ball of cuteness that is totally dependent on you and having to meet their needs of hygiene, feeding, watering, exercise, love and comfort.

Puppies need to be taught where to toilet and what they can and can't eat/chew on(the leather lounge suite is not one of those things), how to walk on a lead and how to fit into a world that is alien to them. It's not just intimidating for you as a parent but for them too.

Just remember that they too are trying to find their way and learn what is right and what is wrong. Remember that they have come into a new home with rules they don't understand. They are being expected to do things that are unfamiliar and alien.

The good news is they grow up. You forget the destruction. You forget the standoffs between you and them. You forget the tears and frustration. You forget the sleepless nights and the 4am toilet breaks where you are standing in your pjs, bleary eyed waiting for your pup to do their thing so you can both go back to bed. With patience, the right structure, training and love they learn and become beautiful, well mannered, loving family members and you forget.

The one thing you will never forget though, long after they have grown up, gone grey and crossed the rainbow bridge is the love, loyalty, forgiveness and joy.  THAT will stay with you for years ❤️

28 March 2023  Ruby 1
28 March 2023  Ruby 2
28 March 2023  Ruby 3
10 September 2020 Bonnie thought this was a lot of Bull

« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 11:25:09 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9394 on: March 31, 2023, 10:13:32 AM »
Gosh, Jack, Ruby is adorable! And Bonnie too - I’d forgotten her socks! How on Earth do you get anything done??

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9395 on: March 31, 2023, 01:13:40 PM »
Hi Madeleine,

I met Ruby for the first time this morning.  We called in with Bonnie to let them see each other.  We were uncertain what would their reaction would be, so I kept Bonnie under tight control. It took a while for Ruby to work up the courage to approach Bonnie and then was a bit too enthusiastic and got a growl in response.  Adult dogs often see it is their role to discipline pups, so we decided that was enough for a first meeting.  We will continue to carefully monitor their meetings until they are both comfortable with each other.

Ruby is super cute but I am glad it is the Cleveland mobs job to guide Ruby through the first couple of months.  First steps are getting her used to a collar and lead and toilet training.  We were lucky with Bonnie that her breeder had got her used to being on the lead and was partially toilet trained although anticipation was still needed and there were the inevitable accidents when she got excited.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9396 on: April 01, 2023, 12:44:42 AM »

You should go well.  You've had plenty of practice communicating with an elderly person.  :D

While you are away, I will do a post on dogs.

Hi Jack

I don't think you're elderly  :-* 

John and Mary have been married for 67 years :o  The care home seems nice.  They have separate rooms as they both have different health problems to contend with.  Mary seems happy enough and relieved to be there.  John is very unsettled and not very happy.  She said that his mind isn't what it used to be and he has good days and bad.  They were very pleased to see us. I haven't seen them since late 2019, before the pandemic.  It seems to have aged them - especially John.  He was still driving and occasionally riding his bike the last time I visited.  It was smashing to see them if tinged with sadness.

I loved your doggy post - especially the pictures  :-*

It's another wet day here.  I popped up and saw Barbs this morning.  We managed a quick walk and got back just as the heavens opened again.

I'm having a change with my rebus today.  It's a short ballet written in the 1930's by a well known French Gent.  Hoping it'll prove a little tricky but perhaps I'm being optimistic >:D

7 (#4 + #3) #3 7 (#3 + #2 +#2)

Pictures one, two and six are all homophones.  You need a bit of lateral thinking with picture two.  Can you remember the first name of the actor on the right in picture four? please say it as if you were born within the sound of Bow Bells  ;)  Please use just the second and third letters of picture five and pretend it's all on one line.

Feeling a bit grumpy?  Go and praise somebody from Helsinki...
that produces endorse Finns!

Must be time for tea.  Leave you with a silly joke and this...(yes it's a repeat ;D)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 12:49:31 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9397 on: April 01, 2023, 08:25:08 AM »
Hi Pen,

Your visit might have been a bit sad but you must be proud that you did a good thing.

I’ll salute a Greek god with a toast to your rebus and I won’t whine about it at all. :D

While you were away we changed our barbecue arrangements.

Since we moved in here, I have been using swap’n’go gas bottles in our barbecue.  The 3.7 Kg. bottle fits nicely into the barbecue and lasts about 2-3 weeks.  The 8.5 Kg bottle lasts longer but needs to be wrestled into position because they are just too large to fit neatly.  Both have a habit of running out halfway through cooking a roast and although I always kept a spare bottle on hand it takes some time to swap them over and the quality of the roast suffers. 

So, we have opted for the typical gas bottle setup for homes to have two 45 kg gas cylinders fitted with gas regulators. The two gas bottles are linked by a changeover valve. When one cylinder is empty it automatically flips the valve over to the full cylinder. This is a reminder to order a fresh 45 kg gas cylinder.   Each cylinder should last for sixth months or more. 

There are strict regulations about where the gas bottle can be stored so there was about 5 hours work for a registered plumber to do the work and to give us a certificate of compliance.

I’ll leave you with the latest Ruby picture
Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #9398 on: April 01, 2023, 01:23:40 PM »
That's a gorgeous picture of Ruby, Jack - the Cleveland mob must be so enamoured with their new addition to their household...
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9399 on: April 01, 2023, 02:02:11 PM »
They are, John.  It probably is a more sensible breed for suburban living.  I am biased.  I don't think anything can beat a Border Collie.  ;D
Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #9400 on: April 01, 2023, 02:21:41 PM »
They are, John.  It probably is a more sensible breed for suburban living.  I am biased.  I don't think anything can beat a Border Collie.  ;D

We had a Border Collie when we were growing up - a lovely dog but prone to jumping the fence and chasing cars... 😮😮😮 Probably a lack of training on our part but we got him as a fully grown dog (a stray we adopted one summer day - probably left at home when the previous owners were on holiday and it fretted at a guess!!!)
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9401 on: April 01, 2023, 06:22:12 PM »
I am with you Jack

Nothing beats a Border Collie or 2 or 3

Mind you I had a Doberman Pinscher and he was rather special

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9402 on: April 02, 2023, 12:43:48 AM »
Your visit might have been a bit sad but you must be proud that you did a good thing.

I’ll salute a Greek god with a toast to your rebus and I won’t whine about it at all. :D

While you were away we changed our barbecue arrangements.
Both have a habit of running out halfway through cooking a roast and although I always kept a spare bottle on hand it takes some time to swap them over and the quality of the roast suffers. 

I’ll leave you with the latest Ruby picture[/url]

Hi Jack

I was pleased and proud that I made the visit and eternally grateful to Zoe for driving :) 

Having a funny old day as Zoe is busy with other stuff today so I'm on my own.  I've abandoned the Smellygraph crossword after only doing about a quarter and thought I'd try my luck with a post instead!

Another gorgeous picture of Ruby.  I'd almost like to climb inside my laptop so I can give her a cuddle  :laugh:

It sounds like you've sorted your gas bottle problem so, hopefully, no more issues with your roasts  :)

My rebus is a funny British expression that tickles me :)

3 #4 2 3 #6 #3

THETHE
Position is of paramount importance.  Please change the first letter of the last picture.

I've used these before but I think they're worth repeating.  These are genuine excerpts from the gripe sheets completed by Qantas pilots and the responses of the maintenance engineers.

Pilots: Number 3 engine missing.
Engineers: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

Pilots: Aircraft handles funny.
Engineers: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

Pilots: Target radar hums
Engineers: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.

Pilots: Mouse in cockpit.
Engineers: Cat installed.

Pilot: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like a midget pounding on something with a hammer.
Engineers: Took hammer away from midget.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9403 on: April 02, 2023, 07:07:13 AM »
I was pleased and proud that I made the visit and eternally grateful to Zoe for driving :) 

I dips me lid to you and Zoe.

Our TV is back to being broadcast at the right time now that the Eastern States have adjusted their time to be the same as Queensland again.

I am a bit distracted at the moment as I am reading the latest Robert Goddard novel "This is the Night They Come For You."  His next novel has an intriguing name The Fine Art of Uncanny Prediction."   I am assuming you are famililiar with his books. >:D

Breakfast awaits.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 08:21:50 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9404 on: April 02, 2023, 03:15:58 PM »
Smee again, Pen.

I’ve got my morning chores out of the way, so I rewarded myself with a lunch of Barbecued Orange Roughy aka Deep Sea Ocean Perch.

So, I can now turn my mind to trying to match your excellent rebus.

My rebus is a movie which has this write up

Eight women. Eight stories. One inspiring documentary capturing the thoughts and choices of these women living in urban India. A series of conversations on love, loss, fear, loneliness, marriage, freedom and what it means to be a woman.

9( #4 #5)  #7, 9 (#3 #3  #3)  #5

Conceptually one line.

Picture 2.  Any one.  Ditch the first 3 .etters.
Picture 4.  Any one.  Use the first 3 letters.
Picture 5. Homophone
picture 6.  Throw a rope around his first name.
Picture 7   For those too young to remember her, her first name was Diana. Homophone.

Bluewalks into the bar the other night wearing one thong (flip flop). One patron asks him "What happened mate? Did you lose a thong?" Bluereplies, "Nah mate, I found one!".

Blue watched an Aussie cooking show and the audience cheered when the chef made meringue. Blue was surprised... Usually Aussies boo meringue.

If you've got a mo, take this aussie lesson
Regards, Jack