Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 823000 times)

Scouser1952

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9300 on: March 06, 2023, 08:15:22 AM »
About 20 seconds. Usually about 20 hours.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9301 on: March 06, 2023, 10:35:48 AM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses
Pen 5/3

Jack 5/3

Pen 4/3

Jack 4/3

Date reflects the author's time zone.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9302 on: March 06, 2023, 01:25:36 PM »
I'm not sure why I included a copper in my earlier post.  I was typing on my phone and I think I must have hit the wrong key!

Hi Pen,

I guess it doesn't matter if it fits the bill.  :D

My rebus today is another historical location but I cannot figure out how to use my usual word count notation fairly.

The answer is two words (5 6) which are homophones of the combined component words from the four pictures.  The individual word lengths are  (5  4)  (5 4) and are WYSIWYG not  homophones.

There will be some familiar with the location who will get an answer in about the same time as Tony recorded today.  Those not familiar with the location should get it within 10 minutes.
Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #9303 on: March 06, 2023, 01:40:55 PM »
There will be some familiar with the location who will get an answer in about the same time as Tony recorded today.  Those not familiar with the location should get it within 10 minutes.

You're quite right, Jack. Whilst never having been there and so not "familiar" (in the biblical sense), I am well aware of the rather elevated subject...  ;D ;D ;D

About 20 seconds...  >:D >:D >:D

The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Scouser1952

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9304 on: March 06, 2023, 06:44:09 PM »
About a minute.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9305 on: March 07, 2023, 03:10:28 AM »

I guess it doesn't matter if it fits the bill.  :D

My rebus today is another historical location but I cannot figure out how to use my usual word count notation fairly.

Hi Jack

Given the choice I'd rather have a fireman  >:D

Your rebus took me about half a minute.  Zoe visited it a few years ago.  She said it was amazing.  The holiday would have been even better had the airline not lost her suitcase :(  To add insult to injury it turned up in their office the day before she came home  :-R

My rebus is the third most visited World Heritage Site - according to Ms Google.  This is a gimme - I would anticipate less than 20 seconds.

#5 #7 #4

Please change the first letter of the second word of the middle picture.  Please think what the bird is in picture three and re-arrange the letters.  One homophone and please pretend it's all on one line.

Kylie told me that Blue's cousin Billy was shipwrecked and stranded on a desert island for 20 years.
One day he was out for his daily walk along the beach when he spotted something red a long way away in the sea.  When it got a little closer to the shore he realised it was actually the hair of a pretty lady in her 20's.
As she began to walk up the beach she was astonished to find anybody there as the island is very remote. She walked up to Billy and asked him how he got there.  "I haven't seen another soul since I was shipwrecked and stranded here 20 years ago." he replies.
"20 years you say" the lady says "that's a long time to go without a drink"  She pulls down the zipper on her wetsuit and and pulls out a bottle of single malt and asks "How would you like a drink?"  Billy takes a sip and says "Thanks - that the best tasting whisky I've ever had in my whole life"  She unzips her wetsuit a bit further and pulls out a packet of cigarettes and says "How about a cigarette to go with that?"  He lights a cigarette and takes a few drags and sighs "Thanks that the best cigarette I've ever had in my whole life"
"So" she continues "you've been alone here for 20 years - how'd you like to play around?"   she completely unzips her wetsuit exposing her beautiful body.
He stares at her "Oh I don't know how I can ever thank you.  You've got a set of golf clubs in there haven't you?"

The old ones are the best ;D

Nearly home time hurrah ;)
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9306 on: March 07, 2023, 12:16:04 PM »
This is a gimme - I would anticipate less than 20 seconds.

Hi Pen,

Spot on.

I can’t match your jokes so I will move straight to the rebus.

I am sticking with the historical memorials.  This one we came across by accident when we were driving through the countryside while touring Britain in 2012.  It seemed so out of place that we called in to see what it was all about.  Field Marshal Montgomery described the subject of the memorial saying: "{he} is quite mad, quite, quite mad. However, in a war there is often a place for mad people." The answer to the rebus is his name and claim to fame.

#5  #8, 7(#5 #2) 2 3  7( #4 #3)  #3  7 (#3   #4)

Conceptually one line.

of the    

Picture 2.   This species is native to Europe, Asia, and Africa, as well as northern Australia and the islands of the tropical Pacific. Several European and Asian species have been introduced to these areas, as well as North America, Hawaii, and New Zealand, where they generally compete for habitats with native birds and are considered to be invasive species.  Change the third letter to a different vowel.

Picture 3.  You are not lost.

Picture 5.  First four letters.

Picture 6.  Remove the first letter.

Picture 8. One of the medieval workers -Synonym of Villein.  Remove the last letter.

I am hoping that the puzzle will take the faster people nearly five minutes to solve and the slower people to get an answer within 30 minutes. If you are outside this range let me know.

Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9307 on: March 07, 2023, 04:51:54 PM »
Hi Pen

Smashing rebus solved it in about 7 minutes

It took me a while to click what the bird was

Carol

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9308 on: March 07, 2023, 07:31:53 PM »
Thanks Carol  :)
I wasn't quite sure how to depict the last word!

Scouser1952

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9309 on: March 07, 2023, 09:35:36 PM »
Just made it in 5 minutes.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9310 on: March 07, 2023, 10:10:10 PM »
I am sticking with the historical memorials.  This one we came across by accident when we were driving through the countryside while touring Britain in 2012.  It seemed so out of place that we called in to see what it was all about.  Field Marshal Montgomery described the subject of the memorial saying: "{he} is quite mad, quite, quite mad. However, in a war there is often a place for mad people." The answer to the rebus is his name and claim to fame.

I am hoping that the puzzle will take the faster people nearly five minutes to solve and the slower people to get an answer within 30 minutes. If you are outside this range let me know.

Hi Jack

I'm girding my loins for a busy morning on fracture clinic.  I managed to solve your very clever rebus before the hordes started coming through the door :laugh:  It took me 19 minutes - give or take a minute!

My rebus is another World Heritage Site.  Situated in Germany Eve and I visited it a few years ago.

11 (#4 + #3 + #4)

Please change the third letter of picture one and lose the first and last letter of picture two.  You just need the first four letters of picture three and please pretend it's all on one line.

Roll on lunchtime :-H

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9311 on: March 07, 2023, 10:15:46 PM »
Just made it in 5 minutes.

That's very impressive Tony  :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9312 on: March 08, 2023, 07:18:52 AM »
Please change the third letter of picture one

Hi Pen,

I got an answer in just over a minute but when I looked it up I had put the wrong vowel in word one. I hadn't heard of the place before.

One of lifes coincidences.  I am reading a book  "Colditz" at the moment and I found out the hero of my last rebus spent over two years in there as a prisoner in WWII.

Bonnie awaits impatiently.
Regards, Jack

Scouser1952

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9313 on: March 08, 2023, 07:24:14 AM »
There was a recent series, i think on BBC tv which was about these guys. I watched a couple of episodes and they rang a bell.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9314 on: March 08, 2023, 08:37:47 AM »
Hi Tony,

I'll see if it is available here.

The book I am reading is Coditz: the Prisoners of the Castle by Ben Macantyre.  He is in Australia at the moment for a writers' conference and was on Morning TV yesterday.  He has also written a book on the guys we are talking about.  He has also written a number of spy stories.  He says he writes the books in the style of a novel but after extensive research and they should be classified as non-fiction.

I intend to read a bit more of his stuff.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 09:13:50 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack