Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821372 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9045 on: January 23, 2023, 06:18:09 AM »

My superstition is that if I spill a beer, I am compelled to have another one as soon as possible.

I am not surprised that you didn’t see us. It was filmed just up the road in the Whitsunday Islands just short of 600 miles north.  Big place, Queensland.

Great rebus.  Did you pick it because the artist performed in Brisbane on Saturday night before heading across the ditch.
 :-Z :-Z :-Z

Oh Jack that tickled me :laugh:

I knew Queensland was big but hadn't realised just how enormous :o  What a lovely name for a beautiful place - Whitsunday Islands :)

No I didn't realise that Wiggy was in your neck of the woods :laugh:  Sorry it's not a wig is it?  It's a hair transplant >:D

Going to search out a few words then watch Madame Blanc which is set in the South of France but filmed in Malta.  Is nothing where it's meant to be?  :laugh:
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9046 on: January 23, 2023, 12:06:13 PM »
The Whitsunday Islands are situated (roughly) half way up...or down..the Queensland coast.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9047 on: January 23, 2023, 07:45:32 PM »
I knew Queensland was big but hadn't realised just how enormous :o 
Going to search out a few words then watch Madame Blanc which is set in the South of France but filmed in Malta. 

Hi Pen,

Moyra's diagram tells the story better than I could do in a thousand words.

I did a search and found I have access to Madame Blanc on Acorn which I subscribe to.  This afternoon I watched the first two episodes of series one and I am hooked.  So no rebuses tonight, I am going to get back to episode 3 as soon as dinner is over.

A modest dinner of Bread, olive oil and condensed Balsamic followed by Pork sausages and poached eggs.   
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9048 on: January 23, 2023, 09:13:25 PM »

Moyra's diagram tells the story better than I could do in a thousand words.

I did a search and found I have access to Madame Blanc on Acorn which I subscribe to.  This afternoon I watched the first two episodes of series one and I am hooked.  So no rebuses tonight, I am going to get back to episode 3 as soon as dinner is over.

A modest dinner of Bread, olive oil and condensed Balsamic followed by Pork sausages and poached eggs.

Hi Jack

I saw Moyra's diagram earlier on.  It's incredible and puts it into perspective!

I love Madame Blanc.  Also on Acorn is Agatha Raisin - I enjoyed the earlier episodes more than the later ones, and Queens of Mystery which I enjoyed until they changed the actress playing the lead role.  I've probably mentioned it before but Murder in Provence was very entertaining.  It has Fred Thursday from Endeavor and is set (and filmed!) in Aix-en-Provence.

Your dinner sounds very yummy :-H  Only two and a half hours til lunch.

I've just had a bit of excitement - we had a robin in the waiting room! Heaven knows how he got in - probably came in for a warm up as it's bitterly cold out.  The windows are nailed up and only open about two inches.  (don't ask!! a patient jumped out of a window a few years ago so they knee jerked and fixed all the windows to only open with a small gap.  What's daft is we're on the ground floor :-R)  Anyway two of my colleagues managed to get the robin down the corridor and he flew out of the door thankfully unharmed.

Busy at the moment but I'll try and get back a bit later.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9049 on: January 23, 2023, 10:09:25 PM »
I've just had a bit of excitement - we had a robin in the waiting room! Heaven knows how he got in

How exciting, Pen!  I think I can trump that though.  I once worked in a castle (!) and a bat flew into my office.  I was perturbed by this to say the least and it took all my courage to gingerly edge my way out and call for help.  Two burly workmen came to my rescue with a net and captured the beast.  We also regularly had peacocks wandering in for a look round and as you know how much I love birds you can imagine my horror!  Happy days!   >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9050 on: January 24, 2023, 12:06:01 AM »
That's very scary Linda.  I don't like bats - they make me shudder :laugh:  The robin was very cute and I was anxious that they got him out without hurting him. I don't think he'd have freaked you out too much.  My neighbour is terrified of chickens.  Not sure I'd want to get up close and personal with a peacock!  They can be very noisy.  I went to a hotel in Tring for a spa day a few years ago and they had peacocks roaming the grounds.  They made an unholy racket :laugh:
Quite exciting working in a castle :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 12:23:56 AM by Hobbit »

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9051 on: January 24, 2023, 02:02:36 AM »
Peacocks make a hell of a racket but are fairly harmless for a big bird!  Never got attacked by one, thankfully.  Even I am not afraid of robins but chickens are entirely different matter, that's why I eat as many as I can!!

The castle was the headquarters of a holding company and used also as a training centre and the grounds were home to rare breeds of animals and birds and open to the public in the summer.  I have very fond memories of my time there - apart from my meetings with bats and birds, of course!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9052 on: January 24, 2023, 02:31:42 AM »
Even I am not afraid of robins but chickens are entirely different matter, that's why I eat as many as I can!!

The castle was the headquarters of a holding company and used also as a training centre and the grounds were home to rare breeds of animals and birds and open to the public in the summer.  I have very fond memories of my time there - apart from my meetings with bats and birds, of course!  >:D

I burst out laughing when I read that and all these heads turned towards me in the waiting room  :laugh: :laugh:

It sounds a lovely place to work and a bit unusual.

Home in about half an hour thank heavens!  Been a very busy day and I'm bursting for a decent cuppa  :)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9053 on: January 24, 2023, 02:49:32 AM »
Have a lovely, lazy evening Pen.  Maybe watching University Challenge and Only Connect?

Roast chicken, greens, cauli, spuds and gravy for tea and I can't wait as am v.v. hungry today - think the grey, dank weather doesn't help or it could be just that I am a greedy guts!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9054 on: January 24, 2023, 04:02:04 AM »
Thanks Linda you too :) We're spoilt for viewing pleasure this evening!
I'm salivating at the thought of your tea :-H
Good job you're not round the corner I'd be knocking on your door :laugh:
M&S lasagne & garlic bread for me.
Cold weather makes you hungry but like you I'm a gannet  >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9055 on: January 24, 2023, 02:58:51 PM »
Anyway two of my colleagues managed to get the robin down the corridor and he flew out of the door thankfully unharmed.
My honest opinion is that I probably wouldn't persevere with Agatha Raisin if I were you.

Hi Pen,

Well done for giving moral support to your colleagues.

I took your advise on Agatha Raisin.  The plots might have been OK but the overacting annoyed the hell out of me.  Preachers might say that’s a good thing.  :D.  I watched another two episodes of Madame Blanc last night.  I’ll put Murder in Provence and Queens of Mystery on my wish list.

Today’s rebus is a five-letter acronym that was used famously in movies like "Tango and Cash" and "Saving Private Ryan" and refers to a situation that has gone very wrong and appears impossible to fix.  The phrase that the acronym is derived from is

6( #4  #2)  #2  6  #3   6( #2  #4)

One Line.  Position essential. 3 Homophones.

Pictures 2,5 and 6.  The last 2 letters of a four-letter word.

]

Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9056 on: January 24, 2023, 03:24:27 PM »
https://www.redlandcitybulletin.com.au/story/7943775/paradise-found-at-mount-cotton/
I remembered this article last night and thought it may be of interest to some of you. Our oldest son actually got married here....about 25 years ago. It's a beautiful spot, especially without the Bali influences.
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9057 on: January 24, 2023, 08:13:14 PM »
Definitely of interest to me Moyra.   A whole different world - love it :) It's -5oc and bitterly cold here. 

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9058 on: January 24, 2023, 08:43:04 PM »
Maybe watching University Challenge and Only Connect?

V. smug today as I answered 10 questions on UC and got several right on OC!  Pride comes before a fall and I'll probably put the Tuvalu piece of the jigsaw somewhere in central Europe!  Maybe that is where it should go?!  Anyway, no time today as into work this pm with 'should of'!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9059 on: January 24, 2023, 09:02:32 PM »
I feel somewhat deflated now Linda :laugh:  I got 5 answers on University Challenge and thought I was doing really well!  Have Only Connect recorded for later as got interrupted by the phone last night.  I can't wait to find out where in Europe Tuvalu is  >:D

Have you thought about sticking cheese in your ears to block out 'should of'?