Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814366 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #9000 on: January 17, 2023, 05:17:52 AM »
Is that a problem with the computer I'm using?

Hi Pen,

I just got back from a trip down the hall and took a quick look into the forum.

It?s not your computer.  I obviously didn?t get the settings right in word.  I seem to have solved one problem and created another. I will look at it when I am fully awake later.

I loved your rebus. I think the water lilies are great in that picture.

P.S.  It looks like the question marks are back.  This time I was using my iPad in bed and typing from the virtual keyboard and predictive text.  Can?t worry about it now.  :-Z :-Z :-Z
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 05:27:40 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9001 on: January 17, 2023, 10:08:31 AM »

More on the quotation marks problem.

I use a prototype for the spoiler alerts which was created before I made the change to Word and so that problem should not reappear.  It's fixed.

I think I have solved the iPad problem by going to Settings > General>Keyboard and turning off Smart Punctuation.

A problem still exists when you copy text from the internet or other sources that use smart punctuation.  I am still working on that.

I have looked back several months and the problem now exists in posts where it didn't before, so something on the system must have changed.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 10:11:58 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9002 on: January 17, 2023, 11:40:09 AM »
It's so peculiar! I've been typing on an iPhone so it's definitely not just a Word issue. But thanks to your tip, I've switched off smart punctuation - here's hoping!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9003 on: January 17, 2023, 10:43:25 PM »
G'day Jack

I'm not sure how far I'll get with this as the internet is like an arthritic snail this morning :laugh:

I'm sticking with a theme for my simple little rebus.  It's a painting from the eighteenth century.

#4 #5 3 #5

AND
Not much to add except it might test your botanical knowledge :laugh: and all on one line please.

My post is like me - short and sweet ;D

All that technical stuff is going right over my head  :(

« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 10:46:03 PM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9004 on: January 18, 2023, 04:08:23 AM »
Not much to add except it might test your botanical knowledge

Hi Pen,

I went to bed absolutely exhausted last night.  Green bin day tomorrow, so I thought I would take advantage of the cool day 29oC to clean up the lawn and garden.

That rebus is a big ask, Pen.  How am I supposed to come up with a five letter word for “Germander Speedwell Veronica”?  You may as well ask me to draw a picture of the Great Western Railway like Turner did.

I can’t worry about it now.  I must get back to sleep. :-Z :-Z :-Z
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 06:28:34 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9005 on: January 18, 2023, 06:39:15 AM »

I went to bed absolutely exhausted last night.  Green bin day tomorrow, so I thought I would take advantage of the cool day 29oC to clean up the lawn and garden.

That rebus is a big ask, Pen.  How am I supposed to come up with a five letter word for “Germander Speedwell Veronica”?  You may as well ask me to draw a picture of the Great Western Railway like Turner did.

Hi Again Jack

Well my rebus obviously didn't give you too much of a headache :laugh: With hindsight I probably should have given a clue with the name of the flower but I didn't want to make it too easy.

Thanks for sharing your temperature of only 29oc!  It was -4oc here this morning.  I was scraping my car at 7.15am in the pitch dark :(  Not much fun as you can imagine.

I'm going to give the little grey cell a quick workout then slump in my comfy chair with last night's Only Connect.

I do hope you're feeling a bit less knacked today :)

Penx
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 06:58:20 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9006 on: January 18, 2023, 09:38:49 AM »
Well my rebus obviously didn't give you too much of a headache :laugh: With hindsight I probably should have given a clue with the name of the flower but I didn't want to make it too easy.

Hi Pen,

On the contrary, Pen, I couldn't get a sniff of the answer without using all my google bag of tricks and even then, it took some considerable time and a lot of luck.

I think it might have been fairer if you had followed your usual practice of indicating when you are not expecting a whole word from a clue.  In the case of the flower, 'Lose the last 4 letters'.  It still would have been a hard rebus.

I'll leave you with

A mate of mine sent me these in an e-mail
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 09:41:19 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9007 on: January 18, 2023, 10:57:06 AM »
Spoiler Alert for Recent Rebuses

Pen 17/1

Pen 16/1

Jack 16/1

Date reflects the author's time zone.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9008 on: January 18, 2023, 11:51:55 AM »
It's a nineteenth century painting that hangs in the National Gallery. 

Smee again, Pen

I am going to take a leaf out of your book.  It is a painting that is dated 10 years earlier than yours and hangs in the Art Gallery of Western Australia.

#4 2  #3   #4

2 lines. Position important. one Homophone.

Picture 1.  Adjective.  A lot of these would keep you warm.
Picture 2 and 3.  First names, shortened if necessary and then transpose the first letter.

And I’ll leave you with a culture cartoon.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 12:04:05 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9009 on: January 19, 2023, 02:15:19 AM »

I think it might have been fairer if you had followed your usual practice of indicating when you are not expecting a whole word from a clue.  In the case of the flower, 'Lose the last 4 letters'.  It still would have been a hard rebus.

Hi Jack

Sorry  :( - you are quite right I should have done exactly what you suggest and given better instructions.  In my defence the internet was very iffy yesterday and I had to keep stopping and starting and I lost the post twice.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it >:D

I'm sticking with the National Gallery for my rebus today.  It's another eighteenth century painting but by a different artist.  I'm hoping this will be so easy it'll take you two minutes.

13 (#7 + #4 =#2)

Please use the first name of the gent in the second picture.

That's all from me - leave you with this which tickled me ;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9010 on: January 19, 2023, 09:49:42 AM »
Hi Pen,

Today I’ll give you two rebuses for the price of one: one on your latest favourite subject and one on mine.

This is the title of an early 20th Century painting by the artist in my last rebus. I bought a print of this painting at an op shop in Melbourne where we were living in the mid 90’s. The painting is a triptych; the three panels tell a story of a free selector and his family making a life in the Australian bush. It is widely considered one of the masterpieces of Australian art.  June didn’t like it and so it didn’t survive the decluttering we made before the move to Sydney a few years later.

3  7(#2  2  #3)

Position crucial; Definite article not pictured; two homophones.

My song has an interesting history. It was written by two Melbourne entertainers who originally performed it as a satirical number in their comedy act at the Flying Trapeze Cafe in Fitzroy and was first recorded in 1975.

At that time the Australian Government was running an open competition to find a replacement for God Save the Queen as Australia's national anthem and the song was entered. 

The song was later recorded by popular Australian country music singer-songwriter John Williamson, thus increasing its popularity with many mistakenly believing Williamson to be the original composer.

It was later used as the theme song for a popular gardening and lifestyle television program which ran on Australian television for 17 years.

A variety of artists have covered it, ranging from bushbands to international superstar violinist André Rieu, who included it on his 2008 album Waltzing Matilda.

John Williamson performed it at the 2006 memorial service to commemorate popular Australian wildlife expert and TV personality Steve Irwin; the program was followed by a worldwide television audience reputedly numbering 300 million viewers.

#4   5  3  #3  #5

One line. Position essential; one homophone;

my gratitude to Wikipedia for much of the text.

It is a while since we sought feedback on our rebuses, so we would welcome feedback as a general post or a private message to Pen, John, or me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 10:16:43 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9011 on: January 19, 2023, 11:30:44 AM »
Hi Jack Pen and John

Love your Rebuses They can take anything from 30secs to all day to crack

Get up in the morning make a coffee get on to Chi and if Pen hasn't set a rebus feel
most bereft

Thank you all for putting in your time

Carol

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9012 on: January 19, 2023, 12:10:01 PM »
Hi Jack, Penny and John.
I'd say exactly the same as Carol...but I have tea and stop by after Wordle & Quordle  :D
Thanks and please keep 'em coming!
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #9013 on: January 19, 2023, 05:41:43 PM »
Quirky comedy/drama from the US 2004 – 2008 that we’ve been watching lately - shouldn't take a minute...  :-P :-P :-P

6 (#3 #3) 5(#3 #2)
Homophones abound; image 1, lose the last letter; image 4, imagine you’re on first name terms…

« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 05:46:39 PM by ridethetalk »
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9014 on: January 19, 2023, 08:33:38 PM »
National Gallery

A fine place, Pen.  Are you an art lover?  Have I asked you this before?  One of my favourite programmes is Fake or Fortune, although I could happily lose Fiona Bruce!!  >:D