Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821145 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #8940 on: January 09, 2023, 07:22:58 PM »

My rebus is an idiom which I try to do.

Hi Pen,

A very clever one and very cryptic.

click here for Bonnie training off-lead

Fun fact: the longest place name in Europe is exactly 58 characters long! Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, a village of about 3,000 people in Wales, translates to “St. Mary’s Church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave.”

Blue walked into the sports bar of the hotel Brisbane at exactly 9:58 pm.  He sat down next to me at the bar and stared up at the TV. 

The 10 pm news was coming on. The news crew was covering the story of a man on the ledge of a large building preparing to jump.

I looked at Blue and said, "Do you think he'll jump?"

Blue said, "You know, I bet he'll jump.."

I replied, "Well, I bet he won't."

Blue placed a $20 note on the bar and said, "You're on!"

Just as I placed my money on the bar, the guy on the ledge did a swan dive off the building, falling to his death.

I was very upset, but willingly handed $20 to Blue, saying, "Fair's fair.  Here's your money."

Blue replied, "I can't take your money. I saw this earlier on the 5 pm news, and so I knew he would jump."

I replied, "I did too, but didn't think he'd do it again."

Blue took the money...

All I can say is that I am looking forward to 59.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 07:25:58 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8941 on: January 09, 2023, 08:52:29 PM »
But maybe you'd prefer this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DCQE3O/

You're having a laugh! Are you trying to steer me into derangement, TRex? 

Well I started the puzzle yesterday afternoon and it took me well over two hours to sort out the edge pieces and assemble the frame.  It measures 85 cm x 60 cm and is looking startlingly bare at the moment but I will persevere until back ache kicks in from leaning over the board.  There seems to be an awful lot of blue pieces and no sign of Tuvalu or Mauritania at the moment!  All the countries' flags are around the border so I will no doubt soon know them off by heart (Only Connect will hold no fears for me, Pen!)  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8942 on: January 09, 2023, 11:10:26 PM »

click here for Bonnie training off-lead

All I can say is that I am looking forward to 59.

Hi Jack

I loved the Bonnie clip :)  Really brightened up my Monday morning.  It's very busy and noisy on fracture clinic already.

I've been trying to work out the cup and 58 and 59.  I checked if it was the Ryder cup but that's not until September. 

My puzzles are a couple of children's games. You'll find them very easy peasy!

9 (#3 + #6)

#5 #4 #6

Please change the first letter of the third picture.

My neighbour, Ethel, is in hospital with food poisoning.  She mistook daffodil bulbs for onions.
The doctors say she'll be out in the Spring.

Nearly lunchtime hurrah :-H  Got an egg and tomato sarnie with my name on it.

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8943 on: January 09, 2023, 11:21:54 PM »
Well I started the puzzle yesterday afternoon and it took me well over two hours to sort out the edge pieces and assemble the frame.  It measures 85 cm x 60 cm and is looking startlingly bare at the moment but I will persevere until back ache kicks in from leaning over the board.  There seems to be an awful lot of blue pieces and no sign of Tuvalu or Mauritania at the moment!  All the countries' flags are around the border so I will no doubt soon know them off by heart (Only Connect will hold no fears for me, Pen!)  >:D

That's good going Linda ; :)  The puzzle is nearly 2 feet by 3 feet which is ginormous :o   I think you're very brave to even tackle it.
Not only will Only Connect hold no fear for you but neither will University Challenge  >:D

My tummy's rumbling :-H

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8944 on: January 09, 2023, 11:38:35 PM »
I actually do better with the questions on University Challenge than Only Connect but only if they're literature/arty/wordy type questions.  Puzzle is going to take some time and patience - not one of my virtues!

Soup and toast for lunch - fairly boring but less calories than a salad cream laden sarnie which is what I would really like.   >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8945 on: January 09, 2023, 11:45:01 PM »
Puzzle is going to take some time and patience - not one of my virtues!

Soup and toast for lunch - fairly boring but less calories than a salad cream laden sarnie which is what I would really like.   >:D

One thing we most definitely have in common.  I have zero patience!

I wont tell you that my sarnie today is egg bashed up with lashings of salad cream >:D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8946 on: January 10, 2023, 01:15:07 AM »
I wont tell you that my sarnie today is egg bashed up with lashings of salad cream >:D

I'm glad you didn't tell me that Pen or I would have (or as a woman I work with insists on saying, 'would of'!) been a tad jealous!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8947 on: January 10, 2023, 03:41:50 AM »

I'm glad you didn't tell me that Pen or I would have (or as a woman I work with insists on saying, 'would of'!) been a tad jealous!  >:D

Worse than 'you know'.  It makes your teeth stand on end  :(
One of Zoe's work colleagues uses 'like' in every sentence. Drives her crackers >:(
Home in five minutes for a cuppa - can't wait

« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 06:33:27 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8948 on: January 10, 2023, 10:50:34 AM »
I've been trying to work out the cup and 58 and 59. 
My puzzles are a couple of children's games.

Hi Pen,

The only relevance of the cup is that it is Bronze.  You might get a clue on the 58 by my repeating part of the quote heading.  With good fortune, 59 will be 9 January 2024.

I take it you were out for revenge for creams with your second rebus.  I had never heard of the game.  I think it might be exclusively English.

I was doing my daily Quordle this morning with the local radio in the background when a song  grabbed my attention.  I thought it was Country but google claimed it to be rock.  It had some themes in it relevant to the past and present in Queensland, where it is set.  It doesn’t make a great rebus but whether you solve it easily or not, I recommend you read or listen to the lyrics.  I will include them in the next batch of spoiler alerts which I will get to later today after I dismantle the Christmas decorations. I know, I have been reminded they should have come down on 6 January.

3 #6  3  3 #6

One line.  Two definite articles and the conjunction are not pictured.

Picture 1.  Either person.
Picture 2.  The title of either person.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 05:14:16 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8949 on: January 10, 2023, 05:09:34 PM »
Spoiler Alert

My rebus  10/1

Pen’s rebuses 9/1

Pen’s rebus 8/1

My rebus  8/1

Date reflects the author’s time zone.
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8950 on: January 10, 2023, 09:47:45 PM »
One of Zoe's work colleagues uses 'like' in every sentence. Drives her crackers >:(

I know one of those too, like, it's really irritating, like!

Another half day this afternoon and will be with the 'would of' woman, like.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8951 on: January 10, 2023, 11:02:33 PM »

I take it you were out for revenge for creams with your second rebus.  I had never heard of the game.  I think it might be exclusively English.

I was doing my daily Quordle this morning with the local radio in the background when a song  grabbed my attention.  I thought it was Country but google claimed it to be rock.  It had some themes in it relevant to the past and present in Queensland, where it is set.  It doesn’t make a great rebus but whether you solve it easily or not, I recommend you read or listen to the lyrics.  I will include them in the next batch of spoiler alerts which I will get to later today after I dismantle the Christmas decorations. I know, I have been reminded they should have come down on 6 January.

Hi Jack

It wasn't revenge - promise!  Somebody sent me this cartoon on Whatsapp and it tickled me and I thought I'd use it :)

I'm superstitious so I'd be having kittens about your Christmas decorations :laugh: 

I read and enjoyed the lyrics to that song.  Not at all what I was expecting.

Here's a simple little puzzle.  It's an idiom - it wont give you any problems at all.

#5 #2 #3 #4
THE
One homophone.

Nearly lunchtime thank goodness :-H Please don't tell Linda that I've got egg sarnies with lashings of salad cream >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8952 on: January 10, 2023, 11:16:30 PM »
Another half day this afternoon and will be with the 'would of' woman, like.  >:D

Good luck with that Linda  :-R  Look on the bright side - at least it's only half a day and not a whole one  :)

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8953 on: January 11, 2023, 03:13:20 AM »
I worked in Leicester and most locals ended their sentence with ''innit ''.
used to drive me crazy.
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8954 on: January 11, 2023, 06:09:53 AM »
Oh and of course don't forget 'yer know'  :-R

Loving the picture Gareth - very smart  :)