Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 875411 times)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #8880 on: January 01, 2023, 11:19:14 PM »
As Jack predicted my results came out the same as Linda - 54!

Of course the result was the same!  I was surprised to see that I was 'well balanced' but then today I am balancing toast in one hand and pate in the other!!  Not jealous of your lunch today, Pen, as I absolutely detest cucumber - devil's own food!!  >:D  Something we don't have in common, what is the world coming to?

Wishing all Forumites a healthy and happy 2023.   >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8881 on: January 02, 2023, 12:31:25 AM »

Of course the result was the same!  I was surprised to see that I was 'well balanced' but then today I am balancing toast in one hand and pate in the other!!  Not jealous of your lunch today, Pen, as I absolutely detest cucumber - devil's own food!!  >:D  Something we don't have in common, what is the world coming to?

That's putting it mildly Linda!  I was staggered to read that I was 'well balanced'  :o  I had a very funny mental image of you standing in your kitchen juggling toast and pate  :laugh:

I think the world just tilted on it's axis  >:D  I must admit that I very rarely buy cucumber.  I've had a small tin of red salmon in the cupboard for yonks and fancied a salmon and cucumber sarnie.  I usually shove tomatoes in my sarnies but I didn't buy any this week. Last week I threw a load away as they'd gone completely squishy.  Couldn't even cook them as they were just pulp :(

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8882 on: January 02, 2023, 12:55:55 AM »
Melon is another thing I detest!  Now what about Marmite?  You tell me your thoughts and then I will reveal mine!!  I hope for the sake of the world, we agree on this one.   >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8883 on: January 02, 2023, 01:00:23 AM »
I'm back Jack...
and happy to report that I've solved your rebus.  I'm cross with myself because I should have remembered it grrr!  That was a really cracking rebus :)

As far as the spinning lady's concerned

#2 #8 2 3 #5

THE
Please lose two letters from the first picture and one from the third & lob in an apostrophe.  Position is crucial.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8884 on: January 02, 2023, 01:05:12 AM »
Melon is another thing I detest!  Now what about Marmite?  You tell me your thoughts and then I will reveal mine!!  I hope for the sake of the world, we agree on this one.   >:D

I'm very trepidated now Linda!  I love Marmite :-H  Toasted cheese and Marmite sarnies are the food of the Gods!
I don't have strong feelings about melon.  I can take it or leave it.  I loathe black pudding and also duck.  Makes me shudder just thinking about them!
The world is waiting...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8885 on: January 02, 2023, 01:08:05 AM »
I'm very trepidated now Linda!  I love Marmite :-H  Toasted cheese and Marmite sarnies are the food of the Gods!
I don't have strong feelings about melon.  I can take it or leave it.  I loathe black pudding and also duck.  Makes me shudder just thinking about them!
The world is waiting...

Stop the world, Pen and I are out of kilter!  Hate Marmite, like black pudding and duck!  Oh dear! Need a lie down in a darkened room ....  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8886 on: January 02, 2023, 01:19:16 AM »
Oh dear what are we going to do?  :(  Stop the world I want to get off :laugh:
I'm also going to lie down in a darkened room to recover from the shock... :o
Better have a cuppa first though >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8887 on: January 02, 2023, 09:55:50 AM »
I've solved your rebus. 

Hi Pen,

And I've solved your two.  So here is easy idiom to go on with while I try to think of something more challenging..

#9  #2   3   #5

One line. Definite article not pictured.  Remove the last letter of word 2 and insert it as the first letter in word 1.

Do you think we'll get any more results from the test?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 09:57:35 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8888 on: January 02, 2023, 10:41:07 AM »
Spoiler Alert

Pen’s  rebuses  1/1

My rebus 31/12

Pen’s rebus 30/12

Date reflects the author’s time zone.
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Maudland

• Glossologian
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8889 on: January 02, 2023, 11:42:07 AM »
Happy New Year, everyone!
I’ve been catching up with the forum 🤠 - had a good laugh and cooed over the Bonnie pics.
The spinning lady - 😵‍💫 - I tried all the tricks and once got her to go the other way (much scrunching and squinting) for a short twirl, but she was pretty much clockwise all the way otherwise. Tried all the tips and the magic eye tricks, too.
But my score for the test was 58, with the ‘well-balanced’ description. I like the description so I’m going to say that’s more accurate 🤣

PJune

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8890 on: January 02, 2023, 03:42:58 PM »
I scored 54% on the test.  After reading the summaries some you posted, I had no idea what to expect.

I went back to the spinning lady, and by closing one eye and tilting my head slightly I got her to change directions.  Then to get her back to the original, I had to close my eyes for several seconds.

Happy New Year everyone, and I hope you've all had a good holiday season.

PJ

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8891 on: January 03, 2023, 12:40:39 AM »

So here is easy idiom to go on with while I try to think of something more challenging..

Hi Jack

I'm having a nice quiet lazy bank holiday :)

You're coming up with some real corkers at the moment  ;)  I struggled a bit as my version is a bit different. The last word wouldn't be the same!  Got there in the end!

I watched a film last night.  My rebus is inspired by that.  It's a song from the 1960's.

10 (#5 + #5) #6 7 (#3 + #4)

You're not interested in Dame Edna.  You're looking for the man behind the makeup and change the second letter of his name.  What are all the gents in the third picture?  Please drop two letters.  You need to lose the last letter of the fourth picture and the first letter of the last & please pretend it's all on one line. For a bonus point can you name the film?

When I thought about the evils of drinking in the New Year.
I gave up thinking.

Definition of a hangover:
Wrath of Grapes.

I'm going to go for a walk as it's a lovely sunny afternoon :)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 12:45:36 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8892 on: January 03, 2023, 03:32:19 PM »
I watched a film last night.  My rebus is inspired by that.  It's a song from the 1960's.   For a bonus point can you name the film?

Hi Pen,

I was unsure what I had to do to earn the bonus point.  If it was to name the film the song was in all I could find was a promotional video with the same name as the song.  The thing is the Beatles didn’t even perform the song in the video.  The song was covered by many other artists but I didn’t look to see if they performed it in a film.

I thought you might have been asking what film you were watching that inspired your rebus.  On the basis of probabilities it probably was the Hitman’s Bodyguard but I can’t remember if it had anything in it that would have reminded you of the song.  So as a Wild guess – A Hard Day’s night.

I have watched both Hitman's bodyguard and Hitman's wife's bodyguard. They were both quite humorous in a quirky way but too repetitious and full of gratuitous violence and  totally unbelievable for my liking.

Like you and Zoe, Andrew and I have vastly different tastes in films but we can find some common interest like the Brokenwood series.  I didn’t mind the Glass Onion[ and “Knives Out, but was less thrilled by the Grand Budapest Hotel and not all impressed by French Dispatch.

Andrew and June did the Left-Right-Brain Test.  June scored 36 and Andrew was spot on 50.  If I can get a few more in, I will chart the result.

I hope you are still in a sporting mood because today’s rebus features a group who made history in the 19th Century.

3 10(#3  #5  #3)  #9  #7  #4  4

One line. Some homographs.  Definite article not pictured.  One number in Arabic numerals.
MDCCCLXVIII
Picture 1.  You don’t need “the wizard of”.
Picture 3.  He was the brother not involved in the last rebus.
Picture 4.  Adjective not noun.
Picture 6. Noun not adjective.

P.S. The girl in the first picture of your rebus is gorgeous.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 05:29:38 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack
ozzyjack@hotmail.com

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8893 on: January 03, 2023, 10:44:49 PM »

I was unsure what I had to do to earn the bonus point.  If it was to name the film the song was in all I could find was a promotional video with the same name as the song.  The thing is the Beatles didn’t even perform the song in the video.  The song was covered by many other artists but I didn’t look to see if they performed it in a film.

I thought you might have been asking what film you were watching that inspired your rebus.  On the basis of probabilities it probably was the Hitman’s Bodyguard but I can’t remember if it had anything in it that would have reminded you of the song.  So as a Wild guess – A Hard Day’s night.

I have watched both Hitman's bodyguard and Hitman's wife's bodyguard. They were both quite humorous in a quirky way but too repetitious and full of gratuitous violence and  totally unbelievable for my liking.

Like you and Zoe, Andrew and I have vastly different tastes in films but we can find some common interest like the Brokenwood series.  I didn’t mind the Glass Onion[ and “Knives Out, but was less thrilled by the Grand Budapest Hotel and not all impressed by French Dispatch.

I hope you are still in a sporting mood because today’s rebus features a group who made history in the 19th Century.

P.S. The girl in the first picture of your rebus is gorgeous.

Hi Jack

I'm so sorry (again) I've properly led you up the garden path.  I should have been more specific and asked for a guess at the name of the film I'd been watching or, better still, given a clue for it.  This is it anyway...
Yesterday
Chances are it might not have even made it to your corner of the World. It's a quirky feel good film full of Beatles music. No effort required!  Some of the music I like some makes my teeth stand on end.  Not sure if it would be your cup of tea.  The gorgeous girl was more by luck than judgement.  It was the best I could find that drew attention to the straw :laugh: (Strawberry Fields Forever).

Zoe & I gave up on the Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard after 15/20 minutes.  We couldn't stand it.  I love Brokenwood.  I've watched it right up to the end of the present series.  Do hope they make some more.  If my memory serves it was Mike who drew it to our attention by way of a rebus.

I've solved some of your rebus and will return to it after lunch and, hopefully, piece it all together.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 10:53:52 PM by Hobbit »

lilys field

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8894 on: January 04, 2023, 09:52:52 AM »
Split down the middle at 50

Cannot make her spin.

Spinlessly from Queens, NY

Paula

Thank goodness the earth will continue on its axis