Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814131 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #870 on: May 14, 2018, 04:42:30 PM »
Hi Birdy,

Is there a back story to how your grandfather came to be using Waltzing Matilda as a lullaby?

I think you are being modest about your voice. 

I read poetry badly.  I find it hard to get the flow and so I prefer to have it read to me, particularly by someone who does it well like Jack Thompson.  I have assumed from your comments that you had no problem loading the three poems which he read. 

I suppose another theory on why Penny could not load them might be that the UK may have different copyright provisions to the US and Australia.

Cheers

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 14, 2018, 11:39:05 PM »
I would like to get to the bottom of this.  I tested the links before I posted and I tested them in the quote in your return post.  They worked perfectly.  My theory is that YouTube has servers in each country and perhaps the material on them differs.  So I would appreciate feedback if the links did not work for anybody in Australia and if  they worked for anybody outside of Australia.

It seems unfair that you are tasked with hunting for scantily clad women for Les, so I have tried to even the score with the Cleo Centre page: Jack Thompson.  It’s a pity the wowsers used Photoshop to blur out the more interesting bits

Note to Les:  Looks like when we do this, we will have to drink in the Ladies Lounge.  I don’t like our chances of getting a chilled glass of wine in the Public Bar (or have traditional Pubs changed in the 20 years since I was last in one) .

Oh dear Jack!  Will you & Les be OK in the Ladies Lounge?  We used to have Public Bar & Saloon or Lounge Bar in the pubs here. Did I tell you that my parents ran a small village pub years ago?  Public Bar was for darts & dominoes & the saloon bar was a bit more posh!!

I enjoyed my Cleo Centre Page very much :-P  As you say pity they photo-shopped out the interesting bits :laugh:
No idea where to start looking for these scantily clad ladies for Les!  I'll have a browse after dinner this evening.

I just re-tried the Jack Thompson clips at work.  Bizarrely I actually thought they might work on YouTube here rather than at home.  What sort of twisted logic is that?  Anyway what it actually says is "This video is not available.  Sorry about that"  Then a large rectangular unsmiley face :-\  bit like this.

Must do some work....
Pip pip Old Bean
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 15, 2018, 03:37:40 AM »
Oh dear Jack!  Will you & Les be OK in the Ladies Lounge?  

I might have to leave that question for Les to answer.  As I said I haven’t been in an old fashioned pub for 20 years or more.  The few bars that I have been in, mainly for a meal when travelling, have been large and family friendly and full of young people drinking concoctions I have never heard of.

No, I have not become antisocial. Increasingly clubs have taken over the function that pubs provided and even if you are not a member, when more than 10 km from home, you can sign in at the front door and enjoy most of the facilities available to members. Of course, there are a few exclusive, and expensive, clubs but I have no reason to join them, even if they would admit me as a member.

I am a member of two golf clubs, two ex-service clubs (even though I am not an ex-serviceman), a rugby club, a workers’ club (even though I am not a worker) and a surf club. This probably needs explaining. I am a member of a second golf club because it is the one we play at in Sydney every week with a bunch who are long term members and it is cheaper to be a member than to pay green fees. I am a member of two of the clubs because many years ago they ran into financial difficulties and offered perpetual membership for the cost of 5 years membership and so I am a member until I die, although because it is no longer convenient, l never visit them. Some of the other clubs that I am a member, or have been on a short term basis, is because membership is cheaper than the benefits that accrue.  Because of the licensing laws, for a reason I don’t understand, clubs need to attract a big membership and so membership is cheap.

I joined a surf club in Surfers Paradise last year because when we visit the grandkids in Brisbane we sometimes go with the family down the coast to watch them play on the beach.  The surf club club offers members 10% off food and drinks. I shouted the family lunch and more than covered a years membership out of my discount.

Anyway, back to pubs.  I have no evidence for this, but I picture Les as a frequent visitor to an old fashioned pub where he has a seat at, or near the bar, which every one knows as Les’s seat and whenever he goes there, he never lacks a friend to drink with.

I just re-tried the Jack Thompson clips at work.  Bizarrely I actually thought they might work on YouTube here rather than at home.  What sort of twisted logic is that?  Anyway what it actually says is "This video is not available.  Sorry about that"  Then a large rectangular unsmiley face :-\  bit like this.

No worries, Pen, she’ll be right.  Someone will come up with an answer sooner or later.

Pip pip Old Bean

I gotta make tracks and get my head back on the pillow. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:45:16 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 15, 2018, 04:39:53 AM »
I might have to leave that question for Les to answer.  As I said I haven’t been in an old fashioned pub for 20 years or more.  The few bars that I have been in, mainly for a meal when travelling, have been large and family friendly and full of young people drinking concoctions I have never heard of.

I joined a surf club in Surfers Paradise last year because when we visit the grandkids in Brisbane we sometimes go with the family down the coast to watch them play on the beach.  The surf club club offers members 10% off food and drinks. I shouted the family lunch and more than covered a years membership out of my discount.

Anyway, back to pubs.  I have no evidence for this, but I picture Les as a frequent visitor to an old fashioned pub where he has a seat at, or near the bar, which every one knows as Les’s seat and whenever he goes there, he never lacks a friend to drink with.

Morning Jack
I expect you're in the land of nod while I'm typing this!  Snoring your head off >:D
When I read you'd joined a surf club I thought for a moment you put your wet suit on & rode the waves :laugh:
I think you're probably spot on about Les.  I bet he even has his own beer glass or tankard!
Toodle Pip
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 15, 2018, 04:44:33 AM »
G'day Les
After an exhaustive & extensive search (for all of about 15 minutes!) I've found a picture of some naked ladies for you.  Hope I've attached it correctly or I'll look a bit silly!
All the best
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: May 15, 2018, 04:45:56 AM »
By the way I'm not sure why it's come up as "shopping" ???  It's supposed to be called Birthday Cake
Pen

Les303

« Reply #876 on: May 15, 2018, 05:15:52 PM »
G'day Pen,
Oh yes, after another look I do see that their is a birthday cake in the picture which for some reason I had not even noticed.
Not to sure just how we have progressed from scantily clad women to totally naked women but it does remind me of the outrage in this country in the early 1970's when full frontal nudity was first aired on commercial television.
The program was a popular " soapie " called Number 96 (similar to your Coronation Street ) & despite the howls of protest, its popularity & ratings went through the roof.
Within a short period of time we were bombarded with a lot of very average programs whose only " attraction " was a lot of frivolous nudity.
Around the same time, nudity, along with excessive foul language had become much more prevalent in movies & absolutely rampant in the " videos " that were available to be rented out.
It actually became quite difficult to find a decent movie that had a plausible script with good acting & did not rely on excessive violence, nudity & foul language to attract an audience, sadly that is probably still the case today.
Don't get me wrong, I do not mind seeing a bit of nudity or hearing a few profanities when a good script calls for it.
Jack made the point with the comedy of Benny Hill & similarly with Paul Hogan, their style of humour was certainly a little risqué but always relied on innuendo & left much to your own imagination & could never be considered as smut.

Jack, i had no problem opening all your links & although i had watched/listened to most of them before i did enjoy seeing them again ( particularly Slim )

I think that you would find it extremely difficult in this day & age to find an establishment that still has a dedicated " Ladies Lounge ", a chilled glass of wine & all sorts of other concoctions are available at the main bar.
My local has an area where the tables look like huge beer kegs, they are big enough to comfortably sit six people & are located within close proximity to the bar while also being within hearing range of the audio from the TV screens.
This is where my gang always congregate but because the keg/table is circular, only three of the seats are in the really prime position where (without having to turn around ) you can see all 3  TV screens which will include the races, the footy & the Keno, i would not say that i have a seat reserved but when i arrive & all 3 " prime " seats are already taken there is usually a bit of amicable shuffling around particularly if the girls are in the prime seats as they really couldn't care less however sometimes it does cost me an extra shout to convince an incumbent to give up his seat.
 Unless there is a " newbe " behind the bar,  i never have to ask for a beer, my schooner of cold xxxx with a small head is delivered as i flirt outrageously with the gorgeous girl behind the bar only to be pulled up by the duty manager ( her husband ), first one is on the house for Les.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 05:20:07 PM by Les303 »

Les303

« Reply #877 on: May 15, 2018, 05:53:42 PM »
G'day Alan,

I haven't annoyed you recently so I thought that it was about time that I did with a couple of little issues that I am having with this site. (Yes I know that I should  have started a new topic but I just wanted to make sure that you were paying attention to this thread.)

Note to all forumites, if you can't be bothered or have forgotten how to create a new topic then just stick it in the More or Les thread. ( Alan will understand )

When I click on the forum it will show me if I have any new personal messages, when I click on " my messages" it will show me the messages that I have received however it does not show my responses to those messages.
If i have been off line for a couple of days or even just had a big night, i cannot always remember what my response was or even if i responded at all so could you please explain to me how can i view my responses to personal messages.

The other issue is that i did not log on or play any games yesterday ( Monday ) so as is my usual method, when i logged in today i tried to view the solutions from the games that i had played on Sunday, normally this info comes up within a matter of seconds but for some reason it does want to show me my scores from Sunday ?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 15, 2018, 06:12:58 PM »

When I click on the forum it will show me if I have any new personal messages, when I click on " my messages" it will show me the messages that I have received however it does not show my responses to those messages.

From memory, on the left hand side you will see an inbox which is the default and an outbox.  The outbox will show the messages you sent if you have ticked the box to copy your messages there.  I haven’t got time to check the accuracy of this as I am halfway through my oil and balsamic washed down by NZ Sauvignon Blanc.
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #879 on: May 15, 2018, 08:01:16 PM »
Thanks Jack, that works.

Geez some people do it tough " I am halfway through my oil and balsamic washed down by a Sauvignon Blanc. "

Les303

« Reply #880 on: May 15, 2018, 08:55:48 PM »
The site is still refusing to show me what I scored in Sundays games & I think that i know why.
My suspicion is that because i was finally able to achieve a trophy in all 3 games including the 10 letter game, the site has become confused.
Of course i had the usual company on the trophy level but when i found an extra word that even though it does not exit & is not in the lexicon, it was somehow accepted & put me one word ahead of Alonzo.

I do have a wavering thought in the back of my mind that this may have been nothing more than a fanciful dream of course i will never know for sure until i  am able to see my scores from Sunday.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:58:14 PM by Les303 »

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #881 on: May 15, 2018, 09:31:30 PM »
Les, you do realise that burying your questions here gives me the perfect out if the question is too hard? I can just pretend I never saw it.

However I'm glad you raised your inability to see the scores from Sunday, because it revealed a problem with a recent change I made to the site. I hope I've fixed things up now, so if you reload the Chihuahua page you should be able to see the scores for Sunday. They don't seem to be quite as you remember them.
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 15, 2018, 10:08:29 PM »
so if you reload the Chihuahua page you should be able to see the scores for Sunday. They don't seem to be quite as you remember them.

Les, I had a quick look and this is what I found:

Sunday     Common    Rare
Challenge     43/45    65/117
Standard       54/59    87/166

I couldn't find any evidence that you played the 10 letter game. There were no surprises in Alonzo's scores.

Quote from: Les

Geez some people do it tough " I am halfway through my oil and balsamic washed down by a Sauvignon Blanc. "

Somebody has to keep the economy of NZ afloat, Les
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 15, 2018, 10:34:45 PM »
I think you're probably spot on about Les.  I bet he even has his own beer glass or tankard!
Toodle Pip
Pen

Les has confirmed we were pretty close.

Pen, do you have a spare £126,000.  If you do, you could give Les a present that he would really appreciate.

Amedeo Modigliani's painting of a sultry nude fetched $US170.4 million ($241 million) at Christie's in New York on Monday, a record for the Italian artist at auction.

Estimated at more than $US100 million ($141 million), Modigliani's 1917 Nu Couche (Reclining Nude) has the highest valuation among almost 2000 lots offered by three major auction houses in semiannual sales of Impressionist, modern, postwar and contemporary art.Painted in 1917-18, Nu Couche sold after a frantic nine-minute bidding war in the first time the painting has ever come to auction.

It depicts a naked woman with dark hair and red lips reclining, arms akimbo, on a red couch with a blue cushion, and it provoked a scandal when it was first exhibited by the Italian artist in Paris. A crowd gathered outside the gallery's window and outraged police ordered the exhibition to shut down immediately.

Nu Couche - warning - explicit

Cheerio for now - I'm off to take a cold shower.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:38:19 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #884 on: May 16, 2018, 12:35:11 AM »
Les, you do realise that burying your questions here gives me the perfect out if the question is too hard? I can just pretend I never saw it.

However I'm glad you raised your inability to see the scores from Sunday, because it revealed a problem with a recent change I made to the site. I hope I've fixed things up now, so if you reload the Chihuahua page you should be able to see the scores for Sunday. They don't seem to be quite as you remember them.

Thanks Boss, that has worked a treat & although I had to do a total re -boot everything is back to normal, including my scores, alas it was just a dream, I did not quite achieve 3 trophy's let alone surpass Alonzo's score but while I have a long way to go i'll keep on trying.
I don't think that I have ever asked you a question that is too hard ( I actually think that would be beyond me ) but if I keep my questions in this thread it will reassure me that you are actually monitoring the behaviour of the particpants of this thread.
And  Alan you need to keep some of these players under control, For example most of the clips that Valarie shares are totally outrageous ( but always funny ) , Mike continually interjects with his opinions , factual accounts & corrections which are always very sound, Birdy pipes up occassionally & always has a lovely comment about all the posts that she has missed, Auntiemo only enters the fray when i need pulling into line, Grommit lurks in the background just waiting for the opportunity for NZ to pounce. Rose, Anonsi , Lainie & there are several others whose names just escape me at the moment, they are all require severe srutiny but in particular there is a hobbit from England that you should pay extra attention to but never fear because Ozziejack & i who always conduct ourselves with the utmost of decorum, we have them all in line ...for the time being.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 12:39:47 AM by Les303 »