Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 871071 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #7335 on: December 15, 2021, 05:07:16 PM »
Not that I have much to worry about!  I have a man who comes & tidies me up .... which is brilliant but he's in very popular demand so it's not always easy to get him!

Hi Pen,

I think I’ll let that one go to the keeper. >:D

Blue walks into his boss’s office one day and says, “Sir, I’ll be straight with you, I know the economy isn’t great, but I’ve got three companies after me, and I’d like to respectfully ask for a raise.

After a few minutes of haggling. the boss finally agrees to give him a 5% raise, and Blue happily gets up to leave.

By the way”, asks the boss as Blue is leaving his office, “which three companies are after you?”
Blue replies, “The electric company, water company, and phone company.”

Blue’s boss told him that there is no such thing as problems, only opportunities.  Blue said, “That’s great. Well I have a serious drinking opportunity.”

My rebus is the subject of biographical film from the 1980s that was ranked in the top 50 greatest British films of the 20th Century.  I have a bit of a problem in presenting it in that picture 3 spans the last part of the first name and the first part of the surname and so for the word count, I am treating the first name and the surname as one word.  Homophones are the order of the day.

12 (#2  #3  #3 #4)

Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
  • Energy efficiency - saving money and the climate
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #7336 on: December 15, 2021, 07:01:39 PM »
My rebus is the title of an 70’s prog rock album

1 5(#1 #4) #2 #3 #4

A

Homophones abound

« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 11:53:09 PM by ridethetalk »
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7337 on: December 15, 2021, 10:42:14 PM »
Hi Jack

Your post really tickled me & your rebus has me stumped for the moment.  Happily I sorted John's rebus as it involves one of my most favourite groups of all time :)

I've got a day's leave tomorrow which means that after today I have four lovely days off :)  Can't wait!  I might even write the remaining Christmas cards >:D

I'm going about 20 years further back in time with my rebus, which is another classic album from the 1960's.

#3 #5 #2 #3 #5 #2 #4

THETHEOF
Please pretend it's all on one line & lose the first letter of the second picture.

One day The Lord came to Adam to pass on some news. "I've got some good news and some bad news," The Lord said.
Adam looked at The Lord and said, "Well, give me the good news first."
Smiling, The Lord explained, "I've got two new organs for you. One is called a brain. It will allow you to create new things, solve problems, and have intelligent conversations with Eve. The other organ I have for you is called a penis. It will give you great physical pleasure and allow you to reproduce your now intelligent life form and populate this planet. Eve will be very happy that you now have this organ to give her children."
Adam, very excited, exclaimed, "These are great gifts you have given to me. What could possibly be bad news after such great tidings?"
The Lord looked upon Adam and said with great sorrow, "You will never be able to use these two gifts at the same time."

The old ones are the best >:D

« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 10:48:10 PM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7338 on: December 16, 2021, 07:09:33 AM »
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 02:11:32 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #7339 on: December 16, 2021, 10:31:54 AM »
Pen, was your selection influenced by yesterday's 7bm which had both thirtieth and fiftieth as words???  :o :o :o

"Special limited editions of [your rebus] were issued to mark its thirtieth, fortieth, and fiftieth anniversaries, with the
former two releases containing bonus tracks."
The greenest watt ever produced is the one you never use. Playing as jk1956 & John is my name.
When we come out of the Covid-19 crisis, we need to make sure recovery efforts address the Climate Crisis (which can't be solved using social distancing!)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7340 on: December 17, 2021, 01:51:23 AM »
Pen, was your selection influenced by yesterday's 7bm which had both thirtieth and fiftieth as words???  :o :o :o

Sorry John fraid not!  I rarely do the 7-by-many puzzle.  Know it probably sounds daft but I can't get my head round it.  I do dip in now & then & sometimes solve the word(s) using all the letters but I prefer the other puzzles by a country mile :laugh:
No it was simply one of my favourite bands along with Genesis, Led Zep & a few others :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7341 on: December 17, 2021, 03:42:09 AM »
Hi Jack.

Having a busy but enjoyable day off :)  Been food shopping & a bit of Christmas shopping.  Visited Barbs in between times.  Got a few chores to do but thought I'd have a cuppa & do a quick post before I tackle them.

Kylie told me that Blue came home very drunk after a night out with his mates.  He tip-toed up with stairs quietly to avoid waking Sheila, but he tripped & fell on his arse.
A whisky bottle in his back pocket made the landing especially painful.  He stifled a yelp, crept back down the stairs & pulled down his trousers.  When he looked in the hall mirror he could see that one side of his bum was cut & bleeding.
Quietly he found a packet of Elastoplast & put one on each place he saw blood.
He awoke the next morning to find Sheila staring down at him with her arms folded..  "You were drunk last night weren't you?" she said.
Blue blustered "Now why would you think a thing like that?"
"Well" said Sheila "It could be the broken glass & the trail of blood through the house or your bloodshot eyes"
"But mostly"  she continued
"It could be something to do with all those plasters stuck to the hall mirror!"

Right this housework's not going to do itself!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7342 on: December 17, 2021, 07:11:50 AM »
Hi Pen,

I had a very busy day, too.  Out and about a lot of the day stocking up for Christmas and for a welcome visitor that we are picking up at the airport this morning.

I am very disappointed with Blue.  He told me his wild days were a thing of the past, but I won’t begrudge him a Christmas celebration with his mates after he has been locked down for so long.

He was feeling so crook that he decided to take a sickie.  The next morning when he got to work, his boss stormed up to him and said, “You missed work yesterday, didn’t you?”  Blue replied, “No, not particularly.

Then he went off to talk to one of his mates.  His mate says, “I can make the boss give me the day off.”

Blue replies, “Oh yeah? And how would you do that?

His mate says, “Just wait and see.”

He then hangs upside down from the ceiling.

The boss comes in and says, “What are you doing?”

Blue’s mate replies, “I’m a light bulb.”

The boss then says, “You’ve been working so much that you’ve gone crazy. I think you need to take the day off.”

As his mate leaves, Blue starts to follow him and the boss says, “Where are you going?

Blue says, “I’m going home, too. I can’t work in the dark.”

And I’ll leave you with the story about what happened when Blue got promoted to manager.

He spends a week at his new office with the manager he is replacing.

On the last day, the departing manager tells him, “I’ve left three numbered envelopes in the desk drawer. Open an envelope if you encounter a crisis you can’t solve.

Three months down the road there is a major drama in the office and Blue feels very threatened by it all.

He remembers the parting words of his predecessor and opens the first envelope.

The message inside says “Blame your predecessor!”

He does this and gets off the hook.

Sometime later, the company is experiencing a dip in sales, combined with serious product problems.

Blue quickly opens the second envelope.

The message read, “Reorganise!

He starts to reorganise and the company quickly rebounds.

Three months later, at his next crisis, he opens the third envelope.

The message inside says, “Prepare three envelopes.

Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #7343 on: December 17, 2021, 11:06:22 AM »
Apologies in advance for this one...

Two pieces of string go into a bar and sit down. One of them goes to the bar to order drinks. The barkeeper looks down and says "You're a piece of string, aren't you?" The piece of string says "Yes."
The barman says "We don't serve pieces of string here." The piece of string goes back to his friend and relates the story. The other piece of string says "I know how to deal with this." and proceeds to tie himself up. Then he frizzes up the end of himself and strides up to the bar.
The barman looks down and says "You're a piece of string, aren't you?" The piece of string looks up at him and says "No, I'm a frayed knot."

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7344 on: December 17, 2021, 06:06:02 PM »
Hi Jack. Can we expect to see ozzymandias on the scoreboard soon?
You and June must be excited to have him in Redland Bay for Christmas 🎄. Enjoy your family time...
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7345 on: December 17, 2021, 07:17:05 PM »
Hi Moyra,

He claims to be out of practice but he doesn't take after his parents who don't have a competitive bone in their body,  :angel:  so I would expect some good scores once he settles in.

We are so glad the rules changed in time for him to get here Christmas.  Our plans are to have Christmas Day at Coorparoo and Boxing Day here in Redland Bay.   Moderation being the order of the day, of course.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7346 on: December 17, 2021, 08:36:41 PM »
Hi Pen,

Bonnie is really chuffed that her mate has come to spend Christmas with us. 

We had a Cornish pastie and a couple of Guinness Pies from the Redland Meat Hall for lunch.  Andrew cooked us an asparagus and onion quiche for dinner.  Its a tough life.

Blue is leaving the office late one evening, when he finds the CEO standing in front of a shredder with a piece of paper in his hand.
Listen,” says the CEO, “this is a very sensitive and important document here, and my secretary has gone for the night. Can you make this thing work for me?”

No furries,” Blue says.

He turns the machine on, inserts the paper, and presses the start button.

Excellent, excellent!” says the CEO as his paper disappears inside the machine. “I just need one copy.”

My rebus is an album produced in the 1970s featuring an artist who was born Robert Allen Zimmerman.  It was highly rated.

#5   2   3   #6

The definite article is not pictured.
Top Picture -  You are after the type of hound.

I’ll leave you with this thought

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7347 on: December 17, 2021, 11:08:06 PM »
John (ridethetalk) can’t get the second picture in the rebus.  If anyone else is having this problem can you let me know what system and browser you are using.
Regards, Jack

ridethetalk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
    • Ride the Talk
« Reply #7348 on: December 18, 2021, 12:04:27 AM »
It's there now - go figure...  :-R :-R :-R

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7349 on: December 18, 2021, 02:43:15 AM »
Bonnie is really chuffed that her mate has come to spend Christmas with us. 

We had a Cornish pastie and a couple of Guinness Pies from the Redland Meat Hall for lunch.  Andrew cooked us an asparagus and onion quiche for dinner.  Its a tough life.

Hi Jack

It does indeed sound a very tough life :laugh:  I bet you're all very chuffed that Andrew's able to come & spend Christmas with you :)

Another flying visit from me as I've had another busy day!  I was a lady wot lunched with an old friend & I had to get some bits for Barbs as she's struggling with a bad back.  I dropped them off with the intention of dashing straight off but of course was persuaded to have a cuppa :laugh:  I've got to pick Zoe & Rex up in a little while & drop them off at a pub near the hospital as they're meeting some friends for a few drinks.  Thankfully they're getting a taxi home!

A quick rebus.  It's also a 1970's album.
8 (#3 + #2 #3) #5 #5

First picture is past tense.

Better go...