Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 819958 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #7275 on: December 05, 2021, 11:01:15 AM »
What is the minimum age to get this?  ;D

I don't know, but it could be quite low.

I don't know if it is so in USA but in UK and Oz a lot of series made in the 60s - 80s continue to be recycled again and again.

There are some that I enjoyed watching when they first came out that makes my skin crawl that I ever thought they were worth watching, for example McHale's Navy.

There are others that are timeless and I still enjoy watching even if I don't out of my way looking for them.  Hogan's Heroes, 'Allo 'Allo, MASH, Dad's Army, etc are ones that come immediately to mind.

But who knows if this is nostalgia or whether they would have the same appeal to a younger audience?

I would caution against criticising Morse, Foyle's War, or Midsomer Murders on this thread.  Apart from being in my list of series that age well, they have some fierce defenders in this thread.

I am careful not to criticise Only Fools and Horses which I don't rate highly because it also has a strong following.

It would be interesting to hear other views.
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7276 on: December 05, 2021, 12:11:01 PM »
Hi Jack

My favourite old time TV show is Last of the Summer Wine

Went so far as to name 2 Border Collies  Foggy and Compo 

Carol

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: December 05, 2021, 08:51:44 PM »
I would caution against criticising Morse, Foyle's War, or Midsomer Murders on this thread.  Apart from being in my list of series that age well, they have some fierce defenders in this thread.

... and we know who we are, don't we Pen?!  >:D

I'm not a fan of OFAH either but love 'Allo 'Allo, Blackadder and Rising Damp when not busy watching other programmes, that is!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: December 05, 2021, 11:31:32 PM »
We most certainly do Linda >:D

I also love 'Allo 'Allo, Blackadder & Rising Damp.  Some OFAH are funny but others make me cringe & leave me cold.  Zoe & I recently watched to Hull & back & that made us laugh.  She loves 'Allo 'Allo - it makes her laugh out loud & she also enjoys Dad's Army & Blackadder & of course Porridge.  She'd much rather watch the older comedies than the modern ones so that answers Jack's question about the appeal to youngsters.  I've been watching The Good Life on Britbox which is still quite funny if a bit dated.  Last of the Summer Wine has to be Compo, Foggy & Clegg.  The more recent ones don't do it for me. Thora Hird (Edie Pegden) in that Triumph Herald blaming Wesley for her dreadful driving always makes me laugh.  Oh & I almost forgot Dinnerladies another of my favourites.
MASH was superb & I still watch repeats of Frazier. 
I'm going to stop waffling now as I have an egg & tomato sarnie with my name on it :-H
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)My
« Reply #7279 on: December 06, 2021, 01:21:29 AM »
I'm Back Jack!

It's another cold day here & raining very persistently :(  I was hoping to get a walk after lunch but so far it doesn't look very promising.

My rebus today is a song I heard in one of the shops yesterday.  I'm eternally grateful that I don't work in a place where I have to listen to Christmas music from about the end of October :-R

#1 #3 #5 #7 #5 #5

I've cheated slightly & used the english version for picture 3 >:D  The boat belonged to an Italian gent who "sailed the ocean blue in 1492"
First of the 2 words please.

When I pulled back my curtains this morning I thought I saw David Jason lying on my lawn...
on closer inspection it was just a touch of frost!

I never actually lose weight anymore.
Apparently, I just loan it out and it comes back with interest.
And lately, I have been getting great rates of return!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 01:24:38 AM by Hobbit »

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7280 on: December 06, 2021, 02:38:18 AM »
I am a bit late to the party with my TV likes and dislikes due to work and visitors. I agree almost totally with Penny and Linda but then we are all three of an age! Probably the main favourites are Allo Allo and Dad's Army for comedy value. I am also keen on anything with Ronnie Barker in, with Open All Hours probably pipping Porridge for top favourite.  The alarming thing is that I can say quite a lot of the lines along with the actors! I am also a Morse / Midsummer and Endeavour favourer too but the more recent Father Brown series are very good. I love the clothes on those too! The nostalgia factor of course is high and certainly Davids son can't see any humour in these programmes whatsoever (age 31). A recent brief viewing as we awaited a change of channel saw us watching 5 minutes of Benny Hill. Oh my! I was never keen back in the day but it doesn't bear thinking about now! ( A sketch taking the micky out of Roy Orbison and his blindness!?!)
I think a lot of recent programmes contain too much violence for me. Especially police series and even more so the subtitled ones we import from Europe. I find the same problem with films but then I also get bored with most films after 20 minutes or so . Hence I never attempt the clever rebus you all set. Mind you if I'm totally honest I don't have the mind set to solve them anyway!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: December 06, 2021, 06:13:53 AM »
Not late at all Christine :)

I forgot about Open All Hours - brilliant.  Not so keen on Still Open All Hours.  A big hole where Ronnie Barker was.  Talking of Ronnie Barker do you think we should include The Two Ronnies? :laugh:

I've never watched Father Brown so I'll seek it out.  I'm just getting to the end of Brokenwood so I'll need a replacement!

I know exactly what you mean about saying the words along with the actors :laugh:

Scouser1952

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: December 06, 2021, 08:31:47 AM »
Ladies,
I have the same issue watching endless repeats of the Korean War series Mash produced while the Vietnam war was ongoing.
The utter folly of war, anywhere over any issue, showing the suffering of the servicemen, women and the unfortunate locals and the utter stupidity of the powers that be. I know every episode and most of the scripts and most episodes have me crying and laughing in equal measure. Wouldn’t miss it!
Yet it continues to happen, worldwide.
God help us, do we never learn?!

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: December 06, 2021, 09:08:04 AM »
Mash is certainly a "go-to" in our house too. The combination of humour and horrible futility never fails to be watchable.
The Two Ronnies I feel has become a bit of a Curates Egg as some of it seems a bit dated. However Ronnie Barkers verbal dexterity is still very entertaining.

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7284 on: December 06, 2021, 09:29:10 AM »
Frasier is a perennial favourite in our house, and I don’t know how many times we’ve watched The West Wing

Here’s a go at a rebus - please bear with me, I have limited options and am not very experienced. It’s a book written in the 90s (later a film).
The rebus is a ‘say what you see’ type (4, 7, 2, 6)

🌨🌨
🌳🌳

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: December 06, 2021, 06:42:27 PM »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: December 06, 2021, 10:36:54 PM »
Hi Madeleine,

A great rebus.  It was too good for me but Carol (2dognight) nailed it and advised me.  And so, now the spoiler alert has been corrected.

Keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 11:50:04 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: December 06, 2021, 11:46:21 PM »
Hi Pen,

I’m knackered and it’s late so this is going to be quick.

There was a young girl from Madras
Who had a most beautiful ass
Not rounded and pink
As you probably think
But grey, with long ears, and ate grass.

Carol gave me a suggestion for a rebus.  I hope I can do it justice.

It was a 1950s movie and more recently a book written by the brains of the quiz show Pointless.  As far as I can see the only thing that connects the two is they used the same title.

3  #3  #3  #4  #5

The definite article is not pictured.
Picture 2.  It sounds like you should ditch the last letter.
Picture 4.  Replace the “n” with a “c”

I’ll leave you with this.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 11:48:40 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: December 07, 2021, 02:02:39 AM »
Hi Jack

Have had a very manic morning & just girding my loins for a busy afternoon on the fracture clinic.  When I got here at 1pm the morning clinic was still running & the afternoon clinic is due to start at 1.30!

I've read Richard Osman's first book but not the latest one.  I'm told by those that have read it that it's quite good.

My rebus is a Charles Dickens novel.

7 (#4 + #1 + #3) #5

A
If you can't read the writing on the petrol tank of the motorbike then please use this instead & change the first letter.

Here's a cleaned up version of an old limerick ;D
There once was a man from Nantucket,
Who kept all his cash in a bucket.
His daughter, named Nan
Ran away with a man,
And as for the bucket, Nantucket.

Sorry best I can do.  Waiting room very noisy & I feel like my head's going to explode :(

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #7289 on: December 07, 2021, 02:31:25 AM »
I've read Richard Osman's first book but not the latest one.

Unsurprisingly, so have I!!  I thought it was okay but not great. 

Have just been lent The Midnight Library by Matt Haig (not lent by Matt Haig but ... oh never mind).  Anyway, a lot of people seem to rate it highly but I'm afraid I'm not one of them.  Lost interest and started skipping paragraphs which is never a good sign.  Equally, I was given A Confederacy of Dunces (can't remember the author) and had to give up half way through.  Was a bit disappointed I didn't care for it more as it is one of Billy Connolly's favourite books, apparently, and I am a big of fan of The Big Yin!

Feeling rather smug this afternoon as I am off work all week and have just bought two dresses for two Christmas shinanigans!!  A rare occurrence for me!  >:D