Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 820274 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #6975 on: October 09, 2021, 05:51:22 AM »
Glad you had an enjoyable birthday Gareth :)  Time off work just goes by in a flash doesn't it?
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6976 on: October 09, 2021, 06:07:05 AM »
The object of my rebus is on public display in the British Museum.  It is reputed to be the most visited.

Hi Jack

I've had a smashing, very relaxing day :)  Zoe & I have just polished off a very yummy Chinese takeaway & we are now contemplating which film to watch with a glass or 2 of wine.  A  perfect end to the day ;)

I love the British Museum & have visited several times as it's a short walk from the hotel where Eve & I stay near St Pancras when we go on holiday.  It seems a bit like a distant memory now but we're hoping we'll be able to get away next year.  I have seen the object of your rebus!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6977 on: October 09, 2021, 11:27:53 AM »
I posted this earlier this morning before Pen’s Post but somehow later I accidentally deleted it.  Luckily I hadn't erased the draft I made in word.

Hi Pen,

Blue and Sheila are building a house solely of flat transport structures.  They say it’s their pallet project.

Blue asked me why did the art thief's getaway vehicle run out of fuel.  I told him because he was Baroque and had no Monet to buy Degas to make the Van Gogh.

After Blue’s aunty, the beloved Sister Agnes, died and went to heaven, her friends in the convent started referring to her as, “Nun of the Above.

The object of my rebus is in a display in the British Museum.  It is reputed to be the most visited.

7(#3   #4)  5(#2   #3)

Picture 2.  The character being played by Katherine Ross.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6978 on: October 09, 2021, 03:28:43 PM »
Hi Pen,

After an early start, I am having a relaxed morning on the verandah at Coorparoo dog-sitting while the boys are being taken by their parents to separate sporting venues.

The object of my rebus is another display in the British Museum. 

6(#4 #2) #3  #4  #3  #4  #6  #10

Picture 1. Relace the third letter with “t”.
Picture 3. Ditch the last letter
Picture 5. Ditch the first letter.

Conceptually one line
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 03:30:46 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6979 on: October 10, 2021, 01:16:46 AM »
After an early start, I am having a relaxed morning on the verandah at Coorparoo dog-sitting while the boys are being taken by their parents to separate sporting venues.

Hi Jack

Sounds like you had lovely morning :)  Zoe & I have been for our booster jabs this morning.  The upshot is that she has a very sore & painful arm :(

My compliments on a brilliant sneaky & tricky rebus :) I've got some but not all of it! I came up with a great idea in bed last night.  Unfortunately I fell asleep & now have no idea what it was :-R

My offering is a painting by a Spanish artist from the 17th century.  I promise you that it wont give you any trouble at all.

#3 #7 #2 7 (#4 + #2)

THE
Please lose the last letter of the second picture & change the first letter of the third picture.

What sits at the bottom of the sea & twitches...?
A nervous wreck!

What's the difference between a cat & a comma?
A cat has claws on the end of it's paws.  A comma is a pause at the end of a clause!

Leave you with a couple of naff jokes.  We're going out for a walk while the sun's shining :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 07:27:19 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6981 on: October 10, 2021, 03:26:11 PM »
Hi Pen,

Blue is getting on a bit and he doesn’t perform as well as he used to.  On his birthday, he received a gift certificate from Sheila.  The certificate paid for a visit to a herbalist who was rumoured to have a wonderful cure for erectile dysfunction.

After being persuaded, Blue took his gift certificate to the herbalist who handed a potion to him, and with a grip on his shoulder warned,“This is a powerful medicine. You take only a teaspoonful and then say '1-2-3. When you do, you will become more manly than you have ever been in your life, and you can perform as long as you want.

Blue asked,"How do I stop the medicine from working?"

"Your partner must say '1-2-3-4,” the herbalist responded, “but when she does, the medicine will not work again for another month."

Blue was very eager to see if it worked, so he went home, showered, shaved, took a spoonful of the medicine, and then invited Sheila to join him in the bedroom. When she came in, he took off his clothes and said, "1-2-3!"  Immediately, he was the manliest of men.

Sheila was excited and began throwing off her clothes, and then she asked, "What was the 1-2-3 for?"

And that, forumites, is why we should never end our sentences with a preposition because we could end up with a dangling participle.

When you’re on a good thing, stick to it.  The object of my rebus is another display in the British Museum. 

#5  #12(6-6)  #7

« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 09:44:10 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6982 on: October 10, 2021, 06:39:10 PM »
Oh Jack I just read your post while enjoying my first cuppa of the day. Hilarious - made me laugh out loud! Love it :laugh: Properly cheered  me up on a chilly & misty morning.
Back later.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6983 on: October 11, 2021, 12:31:27 AM »
I'm back Jack!

My rebus is inspired by a concert I was watching on BBC2 last night.  It was a bit late so I didn't see it through to the end.  It's a pair who notoriously can't get along.

The first part is an album by one of them.

#3 #5 #4

Please remove the middle 2 letters from the last picture.

The second part is a song performed during & at the end of the concert.

#4 #2 #3 #7
THE
Please change the first letter of the first picture.

It has been pretty grim in the electronics industry the last few months....
But we must solder on!

My nephew had two watches stolen from his hotel room in Spain…
Adios Omegas!

Remember, the clocks go back in three weeks so now is about the right time to start trying to adjust the clock display on your electric oven!

Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?

Leave you with a few silly Dad jokes ;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6984 on: October 11, 2021, 09:11:40 AM »
SPOILER ALERT - My Rebus

Before you open Pen’s I  will share a few hints that held me up for a while.

1. The concert Pen was watching was Simon and Garfunkel: Concert in Central Park.

On 19th September 1981, Simon & Garfunkel reunited for a free public concert on the Great Lawn of New York City's Central Park, raising awareness and funding to help restore the world’s most famous urban park.

The duo had rarely performed since their breakup in 1970, but their music continued to resonate with the city from which they came. This unforgettable performance, which drew one of the largest audiences ever assembled for a single concert, features all of Simon & Garfunkel’s greatest hits as well as selections from their solo catalogues, newly arranged with an expanded 11-man band.

2. I had never heard of Palony: Apparently a cockney term for bologna sausage.

Devon is a type of manufactured meat product sold in Australia and New Zealand. It is referred to as "polony" in Western Australia, "luncheon sausage" in northern areas of New Zealand, "fritz" in South Australia, "Belgium" and "devon" in Victoria, Tasmania, Queensland, New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory, and "Belgium" in southern areas of New Zealand. It is also referred to as "Windsor sausage" in Queensland. Devon would be classed as "luncheon meat" in the UK. Originally known in some parts of Australia as "German sausage", this name fell out of favour during World War I when Australia was at war with Germany. 'Veal German' is another facsimile. It is similar in appearance and taste to the bologna sausage and the cooked pork sausage known in Australia as Berliner. It is considered to be a cheap meat product. Though similar in usage and appearance, South Australians maintain that devon is not in fact related to the South Australian "Bung Fritz", which is manufactured using a process and recipe entirely unique to the South Australian region, particularly in the use of the sheep's appendix (known as the bung, where Bung Fritz gets the name). May be referred to as Strass, from the word Strassburg; though this term is usually associated with another style of processed meat roll- characterised by a waxy red 'skin' and fat-mottled, chunkier texture. It is usually served in a sandwich, often with tomato sauce, and can also be fried in slices. Typical commercial preparations list the major ingredient as "meat including pork". It is usually composed of several types of pork, basic spices, and a binder.

3.  I got hung up on sundown until I twigged to a time of the day

SPOILER ALERT – Pen’s Rebus
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6985 on: October 11, 2021, 08:11:34 PM »
Morning Jack

A thousand apologies - in my head it seemed fairly straightforward yesterday.  Still you know what thought did :-R

It's a very busy Monday morning on fracture clinic so it'll be a flying visit!

My rebus is very simple today.  It's one of mine & Zoe's favourite naff disaster films!

7 (#5 + #2)

Please use the last two letters of the stuff in the glass.

got to go - try & get back later!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6986 on: October 12, 2021, 01:07:17 AM »
It's me again Jack

Having a very busy Monday. I had a bad start to the day when I arrived at the barrier to the car park this morning & it didn't go up :(  It uses number plate recognition &, sadly, it didn't recognise mine!  Fracture clinic was like a bear garden this morning.  I'm now counting the minutes (hours?) til I go home :laugh:

I've just received an invoice from the Origami Society...
I'm not sure what to make of it!

What did the dentist call the picture he took of your mouth?
A tooth pic!

Two hours & 6 minutes & still counting :-C

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6987 on: October 12, 2021, 03:36:21 AM »
Hi Pen,

I am curious why the camera at the gate suddenly lost memory of your number plate.  Did they give you an explanation?

Blue reckons the favourite breakfast of high school English teachers is synonym buns.

Blue still doesn't need glasses.  He drinks straight out of the bottle.

Blue heard that NASA is launching a rocket with 40 cows inside. He reckons it will be the first herd shot around the world.

It has been raining all night.  I will be interested in how much when I inspect the gauge later this morning.  I had a big  day working on the lawn and garden yesterday, so I am going to squib a rebus until the next post.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6988 on: October 12, 2021, 05:42:42 AM »
I am curious why the camera at the gate suddenly lost memory of your number plate.  Did they give you an explanation?

It has been raining all night.  I will be interested in how much when I inspect the gauge later this morning. 

Me too Jack!  I pressed the buzzer for them to let me in & gave the man my registration number.  He said that's your second car.  I said as I only have one car it couldn't possibly be & even if it was it should still have let me pass!! Anyway he let me in & meanwhile a big queue has built up behind me :-[
I went to the Security & Car Park Office & they told me to contact Saba who are the company the parking was outsourced to.  His parting shot was "you'll probably get a ticket love" :(
Luckily this afternoon the gent who is in overall charge of security & car parking came into my department & I nobbled him & he took the details & promised to sort it out.  Fingers crossed for tomorrow morning.

I look forward to hearing how much water was collected in your gauge - in inches of course >:D

I enjoyed your jokes & cartoons :laugh:  Just what I needed after the day I've had!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6989 on: October 12, 2021, 11:13:41 AM »
Hi Pen,

The rain must have been light because although it rained all night we only got 28 mm. which is just over an inch.  It was, however, as much as we had got in the previous 2 months.

In this post, I will just do the rebus I was too knackered to do when I woke briefly earlier this morning.  The subject is the middle book in a series that has had a strong appeal to people both young and old.

#5  #6  #3  #3  #6   #2   #4

Picture 1. Informal
Picture 3.  Ditch the first letter
Picture 4.  Ditch the first three letters
Picture 6.  Ditch the first two letters

No tricks.  Conceptually one line

Regards, Jack