Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 820149 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #6240 on: June 17, 2021, 04:36:18 AM »
At the risk of rushing in foolishly. I think the second word should have 6 letters and not 5.

Thanks Jack & Mike - not foolish at all.  I'm the numpty who can't count.  You are of course quite correct the second word should have 6 letters.  I've had a hot & busy day at work but that doesn't excuse my basic mathematical inadequacy >:D  I'm pleading extenuating circumstances :laugh:

Sorry :-[  Hope I didn't flummox anybody too much.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Regards, Jack

Scouser1952

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: June 17, 2021, 06:48:04 AM »
What the hell, its only one letter!

Scouser1952

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: June 17, 2021, 06:49:44 AM »
Wha the hell, its  only one letter

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: June 17, 2021, 12:20:58 PM »
Carol,

It doesn’t concern me one way or the other but it does affect the point I was going to make in the post. One second thoughts, I think I’ll not bother with the post. It was hardly going to be world shattering.

Jack, i am pretty sure that dingo is common so i would imagine that coyote would also be common.
I generally only challenge words that i feel are incorrectly classified as common & that is because of the impact that can have on attaining a rosette.
That reminds me, would anyone agree that nixed from the previous standard game, is worthy of a challenge.
Although it was found by 266 out of 711 players, it was still the least played common word.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: June 17, 2021, 05:13:21 PM »
Hi Les,

Sorry to be a bit slow getting back to you but I have been on the other side of town most of the day.

What set me thinking was that Yobbo was common.  Although it is one of my favourite words, probably because I consider it self-descriptive, I thought its usage was reserved to people from the UK and Australasia and that would disqualify it from being common in Chi.  That got me thinking about native animals and how well they are known outside their country of origin.  I had forgotten that Dingo was common but I noticed Bilby wasn't.  I was short of inspiration for an unusual rebus so I thought I would enquire about the Coyote.

Although I think Nix is commonly used or understood in Australia, I get the impression from a few articles I googled that Nixed is only used in America.  If so, it is probably worthy of a challenge.
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: June 17, 2021, 05:16:18 PM »
Sorry, Jack, you did stump me with your question.
It was very cleverly made. but perfectly fair.
Actually very annoying for me because the map you included was of 'my' county - County Durham! - Land of the Prince Bishops!

Anyway, I suspect you will have no problem with my offering today - a massive 1968 hit for a massive rock band who just keep on rolling

four words - 8/3/3/5

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: June 17, 2021, 05:54:23 PM »
the map you included was of 'my' county - County Durham! - Land of the Prince Bishops!

Anyway, I suspect you will have no problem with my offering today.

I had never heard of the Land of the Prince Bishops.  So once again you have added to my store of Knowledge.

The first Norman Kings were troubled that County Durham was extremely remote from their southern strongholds so William the Conqueror appointed Bishop Walcher of Durham as Early Bishop of Northumbria. Following his murder in 1081, the king appointed Bishop Carileph and subsequent bishops the title of Prince Bishops.

I sussed the correct result from three of your 4 pictures but the E4 beat me. I couldn't make a word out of it.  I had to get the answer by other means to appreciate the cleverness of your puzzle.  It was a humdinger.

Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: June 17, 2021, 06:54:29 PM »
The title 'Prince Bishop' lasted, I believe, till the middle of the 19th Century, when it was abolished.
The Bishop of Durham still has a seat in the House of Lords, although he is no longer a 'Prince'

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: June 17, 2021, 07:30:09 PM »
I sussed the correct result from three of your 4 pictures but the E4 beat me. I couldn't make a word out of it.  I had to get the answer by other means to appreciate the cleverness of your puzzle.  It was a humdinger.

Hi Jack

I agree it was a humdinger & that's a great word!  I got hung up on chip for the first picture for ages but, like you, I did get the answer in the end :)

My rebus is an album released in 1973 by one of my favourite bands :)  In the beginning...

#7 #7 #2 #3 #5

I've checked the word count so hopefully no slip ups today ;D

The middle one just really tickled me :laugh:

Fracture clinic's like a bear garden this morning :(  Treating myself to an early finish at 1 :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: June 17, 2021, 07:38:34 PM »
What the hell, its only one letter!

what's one letter between friends Tony? :laugh:

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: June 17, 2021, 07:51:41 PM »
[quoteCounty Durham! - Land of the Prince Bishops!][/quote]

A fine county, just up the road from me!!  Spent many a happy hour in Bishop Auckland.  The company I used to work for owned a subsidiary company there, Ferguson Foster.  Do you know of it, Mike?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: June 17, 2021, 09:07:07 PM »
Hi Pen,
I think one letter can make a difference

I am too tired to do justice to a rebus tonight.  I’ll try to better tomorrow.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: June 17, 2021, 09:16:38 PM »
I think one letter can make a difference

Made me laugh out loud Jack :laugh:  I needed a bit of light relief!   I'm away in 45 minutes :-C

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: June 18, 2021, 06:21:40 AM »
I would judge these to be two of the hardest, but best, rebuses of the month.What do others think?.

SPOILER ALERT - Mike's rebus

SPOILER ALERT - Pen's rebus
Regards, Jack