Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 820429 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #6060 on: May 20, 2021, 04:28:15 AM »
Got it at my third attempt Mike :-)
A very clever rebus :)
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: May 20, 2021, 06:31:48 AM »
SPOILER ALERT – Pen’s Rebus

SPOILER ALERT – Mike’s Rebus

Hi Pen

Yesterday, I found these golfing quotes collected by an email correspondent of mine.  I’ve used some of them before, but I don't have time this morning to edit them out.

1.  Eighteen holes of match play will teach you more about your foe than 18 years of dealing with him across a desk.- Grantland Rice

2.  Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child.  Just how childlike golf players become. This is proven by their frequent inability to count past five.- John Updike

3.  It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf.- Robert Lynd

4.  If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is.- Horace G. Hutchinson

5.  They say golf is like life, but don't believe them.  Golf is more complicated than that.- Gardner Dickinson

6.  If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork as poorly as they do a golf club, they'd starve to death.- Sam Snead

7.  Golf is a day spent in a round of strenuous idleness.- William Wordsworth

8.  If you drink, don't drive.  Don't even putt.- Dean Martin

9.  If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up.- Tommy Bolt

10.  Man blames fate for all other accidents but feels personally responsible when he makes a hole-in-one.- Bishop Sheen

11.  I don't say my golf game is bad, but if I grew tomatoes they'd come up sliced.- Arnold Palmer

12.  My handicap?  Woods and irons.- Chris Codiroli

13.  The ardent golfer would play Mount Everest if somebody would put a flagstick on top.- Pete Dye

14.  I'm hitting the woods just great, but having a terrible time getting out of them!- Buddy Hackett

15.  The only time my prayers are never answered is playing golf.- Billy Graham

16.  If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.- Jack Lemmon

17.  It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.- Mark Twain

18.  Don't play too much golf.  Two rounds a day are plenty.- Harry Vardon

19. Golf and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at either of them.- Jimmy DeMaret

20.  May thy ball lie in green pastures, and not in still waters.- Ben Hogan

21.  If I hit it right, it's a slice.  If I hit it left, it's a hook.  If I hit it straight, it's a miracle.- Anon

22.  The difference in golf and government is that in golf you can't improve your lie.- George Deukmejian

23.  Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of a bagpipe.- Lee Trevino

24.  Reason they call it golf is cuz all the other four-letter words were taken.- Woody Woodbury

Finally:
25.  The No.#1 Golf rule you MUST follow:  take the car keys out of your golf bag before you throw it into the creek.
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: May 20, 2021, 11:02:47 AM »
Got it at my third attempt Mike :-)

Pleased you got there in the end. Bruce and the spider.

It hardly rated a mention when I was doing the Victorian Literature part of my course back in the 1960s; now, it's a regular on 'A' level syllabuses / syllabi.

If you are interested, BBC serialized the novel in 1996 with Tara Fitzgerald and Rupert Graves in the lead roles.
A more recent BBC film 'To Walk Invisible' is concerned, among other things, with the problems the Bronte girls had getting their work published.
I thoroughly recommend both films.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: May 20, 2021, 11:30:29 AM »
I'm not a fan of sitting in a dark cave, but it worked for him.

I'll have a look to see if I can find your recommendations.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 11:34:31 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: May 20, 2021, 07:18:51 PM »
If you are interested, BBC serialized the novel in 1996 with Tara Fitzgerald and Rupert Graves in the lead roles.
A more recent BBC film 'To Walk Invisible' is concerned, among other things, with the problems the Bronte girls had getting their work published.
I thoroughly recommend both films.

It's funny but now you've said Mike I do remember the BBC series.  Can't believe it's 25 years ago :o

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: May 20, 2021, 08:43:47 PM »
I'm not a fan of sitting in a dark cave, but it worked for him.

Hi Jack

I'm not a fan of sitting in a dark cave either - certainly not with a large spider :laugh:

My simple rebus is another BBC series set a lot later then Mike's.

#4 #4 #2 10 (#6 + #4)

TO

Leave you with a bit of silly nonsense ;D  There's a corned beef sarnie with my name on it :-H
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 08:46:47 PM by Hobbit »

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: May 20, 2021, 09:43:25 PM »
... and the book is a lot better than the series!  >:D

Can't watch 'The Pursuit of Love' because it is one of my favourite books and I have Linda fixed in my head!

However, I do think that the Lord of the Rings was televised brilliantly (had a bit of a crush on Aragorn) but wasn't overly impressed with the Hobbit.

Off to grab some lunch ... ham and tomato sarnies, if anyone is interested!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: May 20, 2021, 10:21:41 PM »
Always interested Linda :)  You might have a sarnie filling that I haven't tried - like the tuna & spring onion!  My corned beef & tomato were very yummy!  Hope your ham & tomato were the same

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: May 20, 2021, 11:55:16 PM »
They were lovely, Pen.  Plenty of mustard always helps.

Turkey stir fry tonight, with veggies, noodles and plenty of soy sauce!  Yum!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: May 21, 2021, 01:26:21 AM »
That sounds delish Linda :-H  I've got chicken & leek pie.  I make it like a shepherds pie.  Not as healthy as yours but very enjoyable.  Had a manic afternoon & can't wait to go home now & get that kettle on!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: May 21, 2021, 12:37:58 PM »

Hi Pen,

We just got back from Coorparoo.  We spent the night there after another birthday celebration.  Part of my present was to take oysters and prawns for the entree.  I spent more than half an hour peeling the prawns yesterday afternoon but when we unpacked over there they were nowhere to be found – they had been overlooked in packing and they were still in the fridge when we got home.  So, I am looking forward to a very pleasant lunch.

When we got there, I had a few beers to get me in the mood.  Then, we had a magnificent barbecue cooked by the birthday boy washed down by an excellent Hunter Valley shiraz followed by Champagne with the birthday cake.  I went to bed quite at peace with the world.   We don’t have another family birthday for nearly a fortnight.  Pity! I could get used to them.

I had never come across the subject of your rebus but I understand it was set in the county next to yours but a few years before your time. ;D

one for the road
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 01:44:29 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: May 21, 2021, 01:09:17 PM »
A splendid book. I read it for the fist time when I was sixteen. My girlfriend of the time had to read it for her O-level, so it gave us something to talk about.
I never managed to see any of the BBC productions, but I have re-read the book.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: May 21, 2021, 01:16:00 PM »
Can't watch 'The Pursuit of Love' because it is one of my favourite books and I have Linda fixed in my head!

Let me persuade you otherwise; it is a brilliant production.
I watched all three episodes one after the other; couldn't take my eyes off the screen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: May 21, 2021, 05:07:10 PM »

Hi Pen,

As you always say easy, easy, lemon peasy but I believe it's worthwhile because the back story is interesting.  The subject is the theory evolving from one of the earliest studies of human behaviour at work, which was undertaken by an Australian-born Harvard professor of industrial research in Chicago, almost a hundred years ago.

3  9(#3  #6)  #6

The

Picture one:  The third word of his nickname.  The picture was taken shortly after he was captured. Later he was hanged.
Picture three.  Statistically you have a 50% of getting it right.

One for the road
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 06:27:03 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: May 21, 2021, 11:29:22 PM »
We just got back from Coorparoo.  We spent the night there after another birthday celebration.  Part of my present was to take oysters and prawns for the entree.  I spent more than half an hour peeling the prawns yesterday afternoon but when we unpacked over there they were nowhere to be found – they had been overlooked in packing and they were still in the fridge when we got home.  So, I am looking forward to a very pleasant lunch.

Hi Jack

It sounds like you had a smashing time in Coorparoo :)  I did wonder, for a split second, if you forgot the prawns accidentally on purpose >:D

It's howling a gale & raining here :(  Not at all pleasant.  I'm still having quite a busy day as I've just found out I'm working Sunday as our weekend lady is poorly.  I'm trying to get as much done today as I can.

Your cartoons tickled me - especially the "one for the road" :laugh:

Victoria Wood did a spoof of my last rebus.  I can only find a small snippet.

Spuds

Haven't solved your rebus yet but I'll return to it later ;D