Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 823271 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #5805 on: April 02, 2021, 05:34:09 AM »

I watched the first episode of series 1 of the answer to Mike's rebus.  I  think the series has promise.  I'll report back after I've watched a few more episodes.  It is available here on Foxtel.

Hi Again Jack

I've found six series on UKTV play so I think I might give the first episode a whirl in a little while & see what I think.  I love McDonald & Dodds & I'm hoping it might be similar but set in a quiet New Zealand town rather than Bath!

I have a mental picture of Blue & I can just imagine him running a hot dog stand!!  Loved the joke & your cartoons :laugh:

So happy it's Friday tomorrow!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 06:25:22 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: April 02, 2021, 07:02:27 PM »
I watched the first episode of series 1 of the answer to Mike's rebus.
Hi Pen,

The second episode was even better than the first if you enjoy your wine with plenty of body in it.

I was listening to a radio announcer interviewing with a priest a couple of days ago about whether he had any contingency plans for an Easter service if the lockdown was extended.  His response was something like “Without knowing, we are always groping in the dark” which seemed to me to be an unfortunate turn of phrase given the Church’s recent history.

A man is flying in a hot air balloon over the Gold Coast hinterland and realises he is lost. He reduces height and spots Blue down below. He lowers the balloon further and shouts: “Excuse me, my good man, can you tell me where I am?
Blue says: “Yes, mate, you’re in a hot air balloon, hovering 30 feet above this paddock.
You must be the village smart-arse,” says the balloonist.
Why do you say that” replies Blue.
Well,” says the balloonist, “everything you have told me is technically correct, but it’s no use to me.”
Blue says “You must be a politician.”
I am” replies the balloonist, “but how did you know?”
Well,” says Blue, “you don’t know where you are, or where you’re going, but you expect someone else to be able to help you. You’re in the same position you were before we met, but now you have shifted the blame to someone else.”

You can take your pick of the subject – a 1940s Australian film or a 1960s British band

3 11(4  #7)

T h e   

Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: April 02, 2021, 08:54:57 PM »
An early and classic example of the genre which became known as the

three words - 4/3/7

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: April 03, 2021, 03:22:24 AM »
Hi Jack

I'm having a lovely lazy Good Friday.  I don't know if I'm too relaxed but I'm stumped by both your rebus & Mike's latest one too ???  I don't have my glamorous young assistant at the moment to help me either >:D

I will return to them a bit later on when Zoe's back.  I just had a poppy nap so maybe I'm not quite with it yet :-Y

I'm going a little off piste with my rebus today. To be honest I was a little short of bright ideas! It's a British singer.

5 (#2 + #3) 8 (#4 + #4)

For a bonus point can you please give his other stage name.

The answer to 'What country lies between Romania and Ukraine?' has to be mulled over!

Blue tickles me :laugh:
I heard that he & Sheila were sitting watching telly the other evening & Blue was staring at the ceiling.
Sheila turned to him & asked "What the bloody hell are you staring at?"
"A spider" Blue replied.
"I can't see anything" she says.
"Strewth it must have fallen on your head" he said calmly.
Sheila jumped up screaming!
Blue then says "While you're up get me another beer!"

Off to the kitchen - we're having Cornish pasties for tea :-H

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: April 03, 2021, 03:29:35 AM »
Hurrah I've solved your rebus :-)
I'm afraid I still have no ideas about Mike's though!  I'll wait for divine inspiration or for a clue >:D
Must get the grub going!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: April 03, 2021, 03:53:45 AM »
Maybe I didn't make it very clear - my two-picture 'mini-rebus' refers back to Jack's latest.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: April 03, 2021, 05:25:08 AM »
Thanks Mike I have it now :)
I very much enjoyed both yours & Jack's rebuses.  I'll read it a bit more carefully next time!  Oops :-[

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: April 03, 2021, 11:18:27 PM »
Hi Pen,

I wondered whether we could have a contest to find the best example of a statement of the obvious.

I got the idea from a statement today in another thread.

My submission is:
Quote from: Dashiell Hammett, Red Harvest
Who shot him? I asked.
The grey man scratched the back of his neck and said: Somebody with a gun.

My rebus is a 1950s American crime thriller film that combines elements of the western genre with those of film noir.

#3  #3  #2  #5  #4

hints:  pictures 1 & 2 -ditch the 3rd letter.  Picture 4 surname.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: April 04, 2021, 02:15:57 AM »
I wondered whether we could have a contest to find the best example of a statement of the obvious.

Hi Jack

I like this idea of examples of stating the bleedin' obvious :laugh:  I couldn't come up with much at the moment but I do remember one day legging it from my car into work in the pouring rain.   I don't own a brolly so I was dripping when I got in.  One of the radiographers asked "is it raining?"  :-R

A clever & quite tricky rebus :)  I think I've solved it but I'll wait for your spoiler to double check.

My rebus is a film from the 1980's.  I hope to goodness I haven't used it before.  I did check & can't find any evidence!
#3 #4 #4 6 (#3 + #3)

The first 4 letters of the surname of gent in third picture. Please pretend all the pictures are on one line.

A bishop, a boy scout and the Brain of Britain were passengers in a small plane. The pilot announced serious trouble and asked everyone to leave the aircraft. However, there were only two parachutes, so the bishop suggested that as he was the oldest, he should stay behind. The scout said: "Don't worry sir! There are still two parachutes. The Brain of Britain has jumped using my haversack!"

Leave you with a silly joke ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 02:17:53 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: April 04, 2021, 04:55:42 PM »
Blue tickles me :laugh:

Hi Pen,

You better not let Sheila catch him doing it to you. >:D

Blue enters a coffee shop in a village in the Gold Coast hinterland and the proprietor whispers to his customer, “This guy comes in every morning for his heart starter.  He came up from New South Wales and he is now the dumbest guy in Queensland. Watch while I prove it to you.

When Blue is about to leave the proprietor puts a dollar note in one hand and four twenty cent pieces in the other, then calls Blue over and asks, “We have a cash discount for regular customers - which hand do you want, mate?” Blue takes four twenty cent pieces and leaves.

What did I tell you?” said the proprietor. “That guy never learns!”

Later, when the customer runs into Blue in the pub, he asks, “Hey, mate! May I ask you a question? Why did you take the four twenty-cent pieces instead of the dollar note?

Blue took a big sip of his beer and replied:“Because the day I take the dollar the clown is going to stop demonstrating to people how dumb I am and I will have to pay full price for the coffee!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 03:53:25 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: April 04, 2021, 10:46:04 PM »
P.S.
click here

my rebus is about one of Yorkshire's top tourist attractions.

7(#4  #3)  6(#3  #4)

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: April 05, 2021, 12:54:05 AM »
You better not let Sheila catch him doing it to you. >:D

Hi Jack

I wouldn't dare!  I think she's a very formidable lady :laugh:  There are definitely
ON
#2 #5 #2 #4
That's my sneaky little rebus for today >:D

It's a beautiful day here.  I've been for a walk in just a T shirt.  Yesterday I had on T shirt, jumper, scarf, coat & gloves!  What a difference a day makes :)  Tomorrow they are forecasting sleet!  I don't feel too bad as I'm working.

"Hello! Is this Gordon's Pizza?"
"No sir, it's Google's Pizza."
"Did I dial the wrong number?
"No sir, Google bought the pizza store."
"Oh, alright then. I’d like to place an order please."
"Okay sir, do you want the usual?"
"The usual? You know what my usual is?"
"According to the caller ID, the last 15 times you’ve ordered a 12-slice with double-cheese, sausage, and thick crust."
"Okay, that’s what I want this time too."
"May I suggest that this time you order an 8-slice with ricotta, peppers, and tomato instead?"
"No, I hate vegetables."
"But your cholesterol is not good."
"How do you know?"
"Through the subscribers guide. We have the results of your blood tests for the last 7 years."
"You know what, I'm sick of Google, Facebook, Twitter, and everyone else having all my information! I'm going to an island without internet, where there’s no mobile phone coverage and no one to spy on me!"
"I understand sir. But you may want to renew your passport... it expired 5 weeks ago."

Leave you with a naff joke ;D

Going to sit in the sun for a little while & read my book :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: April 05, 2021, 12:55:23 AM »
ps sorry totally forgot to say I cracked your rebus at the second visit :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: April 05, 2021, 06:19:38 AM »
I can't find a 4 letter word to fit the last picture.  I'm sure I have the first three, Pen.

i Am sadder than Eeore
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 06:25:59 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: April 05, 2021, 07:45:05 AM »
Sorry Jack if you're sadder than Eeore then you're....with a capital letter! Maybe this expression hasn't found it's way to your neck of the woods.

The second episode was even better than the first if you enjoy your wine with plenty of body in it.
Just watched it & loved it :)
 :-Y ready for some sleep!