Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 823342 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #5760 on: March 22, 2021, 01:40:31 AM »
Hi Jack

Another brilliant rebus :) Blue & his specs made me laugh out loud :laugh:

I solved the rebus but after an extensive search of Ms Google I'm afraid I have no idea what connects it to the painting.  I'll wait patiently for your spoiler :angel:

My rebus is a saying that was often used by the senior members of my family! I think you'll find it quite easy.

#4 (3'1) #3 #2 #5 #4 #6 #2 #4 #4

The first picture is the American spelling with the 4th letter removed.  Please pretend all pictures are on one line.

I told my doctor that I have a problem with my left ear.
He asked "Are you sure?"
"Yep" I replied "I'm definite!"

I was rude to my cosmetic surgeon so he gave me a thick ear!

An elderly couple were in church. The wife leaned over and whispered to her husband, "I just let out a long silent fart... what should I do?"
The husband replied, "Replace the batteries in your hearing aid."

Argentina is surprisingly cold...
It's bordering on Chile!

Leave you with some naff jokes ;D

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: March 22, 2021, 11:02:24 AM »
Hi Penny.
A great rebus and some funny jokes...a bright start to a rather damp and gloomy Monday morning here. However, it is a very pleasant 22° C outside.
Moyra
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: March 22, 2021, 05:34:30 PM »
Hi Pen,

Blue thought Sheila was testing him when she asked whether he preferred a pretty woman or an intelligent woman? Unfortunately he answered "Neither of them, I prefer you.”

Sheila threw her bottle of Omega 3 pills at him. It made just a little cut on his forehead. He told her not to worry as it is a super fish oil injury.

The usage of an idiom describing treatment of information was recorded by the Oxford English Dictionary as early as 1698, although it is often attributed to an incident in the life of a British hero in the very early nineteenth century whose affliction made it possible.
The Affliction:   7(#3  #5)  #6’s  #5  #3
  's 
Your Bonus point is for guessing the idiom.
We’ve had over 3 inches of rain here today, so I’ll just

off
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 05:36:34 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5764 on: March 23, 2021, 01:45:25 AM »
A great rebus and some funny jokes...a bright start to a rather damp and gloomy Monday morning here. However, it is a very pleasant 22° C outside.

Thanks Moyra.  I'm just about to tackle Jack's latest rebus.

Spring has meant to have sprung here but, apart from some beautiful blossom, you'd never know it.  I can only dream about 22oc!  It's grey & cloudy here & a lame 9oc! I'm not going to complain as I have a week off work :)

Penny

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: March 23, 2021, 03:03:48 AM »
Hi Jack

Greetings from Bletchley!  Another cracking post :)  Great to see Blue back on form :laugh: & your rebus was a corker!  I think I have it but I'll keep my powder dry for the moment.

You gave me inspiration for a rebus & I'm hoping I haven't used it before - fingers & toes crossed!

#1 #4 (3+1) #2 #4 #2 #1 #4 #2 #1 #5 #5
A'SA2A
Couldn't squash it all on one line!  Hints.  First 3 letters of gent in picture 1.  First 4 letters of picture 5.

When I was out shopping earlier one of my neighbours was ahead of me in the queue.  As she was fumbling in her handbag looking for her purse the shop assistant looked astonished & asked her "Do you always carry your TV remote control in your handbag?"
"No!" she replied "but my husband was meant to come shopping with me & he refused.  I thought this was the best way to get my own back!"

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5766 on: March 23, 2021, 04:42:01 AM »
Hi Pen,

You are on a roll.  I think I have an answer to your excellent rebus although I had to get past my first thoughts that the first four letters of picture 5 were peri and the more common expression features a bat.

SPOILER ALERT - my latest rebus

SPOILER ALERT - Pen's Latest rebus

It's been pissing down outside (presumably) all night.  Hopefully, next time I wake up it will be daylight and I can check the rain gauge.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5767 on: March 23, 2021, 06:24:27 AM »
I think I have an answer to your excellent rebus although I had to get past my first thoughts that the first four letters of picture 5 were peri

It's been pissing down outside (presumably) all night.  Hopefully, next time I wake up it will be daylight and I can check the rain gauge.

Spot on of course Jack :)  I have to be a little bit devious - can't make it too easy >:D

I look forward to hearing how much rain you had - in inches of course :laugh:  Is it still very humid there? Moyra said the temperature was 22oc so perhaps not.  Does it get hot & steamy when it rains?  or is that just Sheila when Blue misbehaves?

Off to give the poor old brain cell a small workout!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5768 on: March 23, 2021, 04:32:46 PM »
I look forward to hearing how much rain you had - in inches of course :laugh:  Is it still very humid there? Moyra said the temperature was 22oc so perhaps not.  Does it get hot & steamy when it rains?

Hi Pen,

The rain gauge this morning  measured 141 mm that is just over 5.5 inches. That was from about the same time the previous morning but I estimate about 2/3 of that was overnight.  I have probably mentioned before the area seems to include a number of sub climates and we seem to be in a rain shadow as reports on the radio were that some areas close by had over 200 mm (about 8 inches) overnight.

The answer about humidity is: yes, it has remained very humid over the last couple of days (relative humidity in excess of 90%) even though the temperature over the last 48 has been between 21oC and 24oC

How much you feel the humidity at these lower temperatures depends on what you are doing, what you are wearing and what environment you are in.  For example, this morning at 6 O’clock on the patio it was 22oC, 94% humidity and a zephyr of a breeze blowing consistently.  It was very pleasant, perhaps even a bit cool and I wasn’t aware of the humidity.  Inside the house we didn’t have the ceiling fans or the air-conditioning running.  It may have been a degree or so warmer but it felt muggy and I started sweating.

Yesterday, I walked Bonnie in the rain.  I wore a raincoat and when I got home I was as wet inside the coat as it was outside. It felt stifling and I was more than a bit smelly.  Today was the same conditions and I just wore footy shorts and a T-shirt.  I got soaked but it was a relatively pleasant walk.  A quick shower when I got home and I felt terrific.

One summer evening during a violent thunderstorm when Blue and Sheila’s son was five, Sheila was tucking her son into bed. She was about to turn off the light when he asked with a tremor in his voice, "Mum, will you sleep with me tonight?" Sheila smiled and gave him a reassuring hug. "I can't love," she said. "I have to sleep in Dad's room." A long silence was broken at last by a little voice saying, "The bloody big sissy."

And that is a perfect lead in to a rebus about a common saying.

3 #5  #4  #3  #4  #3  #4  3  #4

The
the

Hints:
Picture 2: homonym
Picture 6: anagram

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5769 on: March 24, 2021, 01:18:32 AM »
Hi Jack

I had to smile at your sign off - that was one of my Mum's favourite expressions :)

Crikey that's a lot of rain in such a short period of time!  I'm not sure how I'd cope with such high humidity.  I'm guessing it's something you get used to over time.  I remember having a customer when I worked in the bank who spent a couple of years in Singapore when her husband was posted.  She said the humidity was so bad all the clothes in her wardrobe started to get mouldy & mildewy.  As this was many moons ago I wonder if air conditioning wasn't as popular & efficient as it is now.

I enjoyed your rebus :)  Mine is a fairly simple little puzzle.  It's a book published in the 1980's.  Hoping I haven't used it before.  As usual I have checked thoroughly but that's no guarantee :laugh:

#3 8'1 (#4 + #4 '1) #4

THE'S

My neighbours were having a bit of a disagreement about suitable gardening attire...
He turned to me & said "but she's digging in her heels!"

I'm contemplating giving my lawn it's first cut of the year.  Not fancying it much :(  It's about a foot long & still quite wet.
Maybe I'll just have a poppy nap instead!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: March 24, 2021, 06:35:34 AM »
Hi pen,

Just woke up.  Your second picture didn't come out.  it was one of them
Code: [Select]
[img height=160]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/ctXqYROFAkK3IKu19uXe7C72lqLefs-iAuY0hnpDAVJK2iZDJ35UWOjHzaAKo5qO4wj_2OLpTzmTJ7My0BnNXZSGENQ5wlOponjBcHEo_0HVg3rksU5RQsyPIGb4EnA_A7wV[/img]

30+oC temperature predicted here today.  Variety is the spice of life.

I have an answer if this picture would do as the second picture.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 07:10:43 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: March 24, 2021, 07:47:38 AM »
Hi Again Jack. Grrr!  That's really annoying but you are right, of course, the picture you posted is perfect.  I was trying to be a bit clever :-R  What's really irritating is that I can still see the picture but when I click to open in a new tab is says 'forbidden!'  I'll learn one of these days.  Thanks for putting up a substitute :)

Blimey your weather is unbelievable :o  You get nearly as much variety as us - only considerably hotter & much more humid!

My comfy chair is calling me...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 07:49:24 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: March 24, 2021, 10:48:34 AM »
Blimey your weather is unbelievable :o  You get nearly as much variety as us - only considerably hotter & much more humid!

Hi Pen,

SPOILER ALERT - my latest rebus

SPOILER ALERT - Pen's Latest rebus

Very appropriate to pick the title of your book given the shenanigans coming to light from our Parliament Building in Canberra.  Was it a coincidence?

The weather here is very much affected by the way the wind blows.  If it comes from the east it picks up moisture from the ocean.  If it comes from the west, it carries the heat from the interior.  That is probably a bit simplistic.

Tomorrow is green Bin day.  So today is going to be a big day cutting the grass as soon as it is dry enough and cutting up the palm fronds that dropped in the bad weather of the past several days to fit into the bin, so I won't be developing a rebus today and perhaps even tomorrow.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: March 25, 2021, 01:55:35 AM »

Very appropriate to pick the title of your book given the shenanigans coming to light from our Parliament Building in Canberra.  Was it a coincidence?

Tomorrow is green Bin day.

Hi Jack

It was purely a coincidence that I picked that book :o

It's our green bin day tomorrow as well & I really ought to cut my lawn.  I think my mower's on it's last legs & this cut might just finish it off :(  It's blades are no longer very sharp.  All in all it's about as much use as an

ON
7 (#3 + #4) #2 #1 9 (#5 + #4)

Leave you with a silly puzzle ;D
Sun's trying to come out so I'd better get moving!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5774 on: March 25, 2021, 07:19:22 AM »
Hi Pen,

It's freezing here this morning.  It got down to 18oC overnight but is going to warm up to be in the 30s again today.

I got all my mowing done yesterday albeit not on too low a setting but with that, 2 dog walks, and a bit of whipper-snipping, I needed some recovery medicine, and I didn't get to read your post until a short time ago.

I feel as sharp as the blades on your mower this morning but I could see immediately it wasn't "teats on a bull", so I will get back to it when I return from my dog walk.
Regards, Jack