Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 357959 times)

les303

• Paronomaniac
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #5625 on: February 20, 2021, 01:44:53 PM »
Hi Les,

For me to consider the best way I could help with your friend's puppy, could you let me know the gender, age, breed, any previous training and the living arrangements for the pup e.g. Is there a back yard, quiet or noisy neighbourhood or any other relevant factors you can think of.

G'day Jack,
I received a rather distressing phone call this morning.
She was to upset to give me much information other than to say that they had to rush the puppy to the vet yesterday afternoon & sadly they had to agree to having the puppy put down this morning.
I will be going over to her place tomorrow for a coffee & to see how she is coping.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: February 20, 2021, 06:55:44 PM »
Hi Pen,

The rebus today is a song from the 1890’s.  I didn’t pick it for it’s greatness although it is a catchy tune but because it has a good back story for the spoiler alert.

It was supposedly inspired by a well-known confidence fraudster.

I have left out the two ‘the’s from the picture line.

3  #3  #3  #5  3  #4  #2  5(#3  #2)

Picture 2.  From the left.

Cheers, Jack

“Not every puzzle is intended to be solved. Some are in place to test your limits. Others are, in fact, not puzzles at all...” ― Vera Nazarian, The Perpetual Calendar of Inspiration  

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: February 21, 2021, 03:02:03 AM »
Hi Jack

A great rebus :)  I had a bit of a wrestle with it as I didn't read your hint properly at the bottom regarding picture 2 :-R  It suddenly fell into place. I look forward to reading the back story.

My rebus is a song from the early 1900's.  Google is a bit vague about when it originates from.
#4 #2 #3 #3 #4 #3 #4

AT
Hint - surname of lady in last picture.

Did you hear the one about the man who opened a dry cleaning business next door to the convent?
He knocked on the door and asked the Mother Superior if she had any dirty habits.

I hired a handy man and gave him a list. When I got home, only items 1, 3, & 5 on my list were done.
Turns out, he only does odd jobs.

Leave you with a couple of very naff jokes ;D

Better think about heading to the kitchen in a little while

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Cheers, Jack

“Not every puzzle is intended to be solved. Some are in place to test your limits. Others are, in fact, not puzzles at all...” ― Vera Nazarian, The Perpetual Calendar of Inspiration  

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: February 21, 2021, 07:38:42 PM »
Thanks Jack.  Still none the wiser. 
Hope you're enjoying the Sunshine State. 

Hi Val,

The important thing is not to understand the technical detail but to accept that the anomaly was a result of human intervention and not the system going crazy.  As you can see from the top line it is possible to fiddle with the standard commands.

I am enjoying the lack of cold and learning to cope with the humidity which is not much worse than the centre of Sydney at this time of year.
Cheers, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: February 21, 2021, 07:53:02 PM »
(Exodus 16:22-36; Hebrews 4:1-11)

The heavens and the earth were finished, and all their vast array. On the seventh day God finished his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. God blessed the seventh day, and made it holy, because he rested in it from all his work which he had created and made.

Hi Pen,

I hope you don't think it is blasphemous to say that I am going to take a leaf out of the book of the almighty and rest from devising a rebus today.  I am having a reasonably quiet day.  I finished All Creatures Great and Small and tried to watch an episode of Vera but managed to sleep through most of it.  Hopefully, I will be back on duty tomorrow.
Cheers, Jack

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: February 21, 2021, 09:24:35 PM »
Hey Jack, I'll accept anything not to do with technical detail.  And I really do appreciate you trying to explain it.
Yeah, the humidity takes a lot of getting used to.  One of the reasons I moved from the lowlands to the mountains.  I used to live in Asia where it was very sticky (as no doubt Mike will attest).  I don't really understand why so many oldies want to move from down 'ere to up there in Queensland.  My old bones do suffer a lot from the cold nowadays but not to the extent that I'd want to convert to a long slow roast.  As Billy Connolly used to say, it's not the weather but the *** clothes. In the heat, you can't get any more naked than naked.  A scary sight in my case.
Valx
I'll sleep in my next life

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: February 21, 2021, 11:01:28 PM »
While Jack is having a day off - he deserves it I'm sure - here's a very simple little rebus for you:

An 1881 novel by one of my favourite authors.

3/6/3/3/6/2/4/5 ('the', 'the' 'and' 'by' are not included in the puzzle)

Male singer's first name, lady singer's second

bonus 1 - in which country is the novel set (easy)
bonus 2 = name one other novel by the same author set mainly in that country

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: February 22, 2021, 01:14:38 AM »
A great rebus Mike.  It helped that I could identify the male singer from one of my favourite bands :)  I've solved the first easy bonus question but not the second!
I'm not saying anything for the moment :-X  Don't want to spoil it for anybody else!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: February 22, 2021, 01:43:16 AM »
I hope you don't think it is blasphemous to say that I am going to take a leaf out of the book of the almighty and rest from devising a rebus today.

Hi Jack

I think it's a very good idea & I've decided to follow your lead & have a day of rest from thinking up a rebus.   Mike's very kindly stepped into the breach with a clever rebus :)

I'm going to have a little snooze & contemplate work in the morning
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 01:45:40 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: February 22, 2021, 01:49:11 AM »
Hi Linda
Just a quick thanks for reminding me about Hidden Depths.  I hadn't seen it for yonks & watched it last night.  Really enjoyable - especially the wine bottles flying through the air :laugh:
Penx

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: February 22, 2021, 03:26:04 AM »
Hi Pen

Glad you enjoyed it - hope you had a glass or two of pink loveliness to accompany it! 

We watched an old Foyle's War ... I've got a bit of a crush on Foyle!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: February 22, 2021, 06:06:07 AM »
Hi again Linda

I did enjoy a couple of glasses of pink loveliness to help Inspector Barnaby catch the murderers :angel:

I totally get your crush on Foyle! I'm afraid Clooney is still my number one crush! Has been since ER. I loved Foyle's War until the war was over.  I didn't enjoy it quite so much towards the end when they were in Civvy Street.

I do have a secret crush on Michael Vaughan - does that count? >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: February 22, 2021, 09:41:56 AM »
Hot and humid here. We have visitors from Hobart...our air-con is running almost constantly trying to cope with the humidity.

Hi Moyra,

Would you have had the air-con running so much if you didn't have visitors from Hobart?  I guess that's another way of asking: do the locals ever fully acclimatise to the humidity or am I just slow to acclimatise?

I seem to remember when we had 7 years in Sydney I developed some tolerance to the humidity but I certainly lost it after 15 years in the Southern Highlands.  I've got a horrible feeling that losing a lot of excess weight might be part of the answer.

What is the Brisbane equivalent to the Blue Mountains?
Cheers, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: February 22, 2021, 10:29:34 AM »
Hi Mike,

Another clever rebus.  I read several of the author's books when I was younger and enjoyed them.  You have motivated me to make his acquaintance again.

SPOILER ALERT- Mike's rebus
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 11:29:23 AM by Ozzyjack »
Cheers, Jack