Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821327 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #5415 on: January 30, 2021, 01:56:56 PM »
A slight misunderstanding perhaps.
I was quoting Wikipedia : Rotten Tomatoes, a review aggregator, reports that 100% of six surveyed critics gave the film a positive review;
The Wiki article probably needs updating

Also, there is no definite article at the start of the film's title,
so five words, although the first 'word' is in fact a digit, so perhaps I should have clued it 'Five words - 1/5/2/6/3.'

Anyhow, a splendid little film, well worth searching the archives for.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: January 30, 2021, 03:01:53 PM »
I have removed the definite article.  I didn't expect it when I was looking for the answer.  Put it down to a brain fade when I was writing it up.

The count I was referring to was the number of letters (5) in the digit.   Whatever, it was a splendid puzzle. keep them coming.

Rotten Tomatoes did give one 100% score that year - Mary Poppins.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: January 31, 2021, 02:58:50 AM »
I am glad the weather over there is good enough to get your walks in.

We also walk with a friend but she is still a work in progress.  I need a pocket full of training treats to convince her she should walk with a loose lead and she wants to jump at any bike or runner that passes us. When she decides not to cooperate she is too strong for June to handle, particularly seeing the arm June broke before Christmas has not mended sufficiently to take any weight.

Hi Jack

It's bitterly cold here today brrr!!  The Met Office says that it's currently 1oc but feels like -6oc.  Zoe & I just got rugged up & braved it but we only lasted about 10 minutes before beetling back indoors for a warming cuppa!  It's snowing/sleeting & the wind is wicked :(

So sorry to read that June's arm is still giving her jip :(  Bonnie is a tinker but I'm sure she'll soon settle down.  She is still a puppy :)  or maybe she's just learnt a crafty way of getting extra treats >:D

Zoe solved your puzzle but we both got stuck on Mike's.  I may have to return to it later - assuming I don't forget  :laugh:

My puzzle is a film from 2017.  Really hope I'm not repeating myself!  I have checked & double checked.
#3 #7 #(4+5)

THES'

The members of our Crossword Club are furious because people keep leaving...
We're three down & two are cross!

Looking back I wish I'd bought my baked beans on line...
Heinz site is a wonderful thing!

Leave you with a couple of rather naff jokes  ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 03:04:12 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: January 31, 2021, 04:35:02 AM »
Hi Hobbit  >:D,

I couldn’t find that you used the movie as a puzzle before but I can tell you that you rewatched it on the second weekend in February 2019.

It was a very tricky puzzle as the flag is also the flag of Sicily and some others as well as the place that supports the answer. For the help of others I would have expressed expressed the word count as 3 7(#3 #3 ‘1). 9(#4 #5)

I must get back to sleep. I will try to nut out a puzzle and post a spoiler alert later today.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 04:36:58 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: January 31, 2021, 06:39:07 AM »

It was a very tricky puzzle as the flag is also the flag of Sicily and some others as well as the place that supports the answer. For the help of others I would have expressed expressed the word count as 3 7(#3 #3 ‘1). 9(#4 #5)

Hi Ozzyjack :angel:

I must admit that I was halfway through my pizza at teatime & I did think I hadn't done it quite right!  Don't know why it came back to me.  Anyway, thanks it should be exactly as you say :)

I had no idea that that was also the flag of Sicily.  As you said recently isn't it amazing the things we learn & discover :)

I'm going to give my little grey cell a small workout & then find a film to enjoy with the remains of my pink plonk!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: January 31, 2021, 02:00:12 PM »
Greetings Mistress Penelope,

I thought I would follow the example of Mr. Les Armyrifle and introduce some formality into our communications.

But I know what you are thinking.  "You Can't keep it up", as the actress said to the Bishop.  And you are right.

Enough of the frivolity, the puzzle is a 1987 action–drama film.

#4  #2  #3  8(#3  #3  #2)

the 

You need the centre two letters in the second and last pictures.

Spoiler Alert Puzzle Solutions

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: February 01, 2021, 02:21:44 AM »
Greetings Mistress Penelope,

I thought I would follow the example of Mr. Les Armyrifle and introduce some formality into our communications.

Hail Sir Well Met,

I'm still laughing at your cartoons :laugh:  The first one is very appropriate >:D

I was cock-a-hoop because I thought I'd solved your puzzle & then when I checked I'd got the first word wrong  :-[ 

My puzzle is an 2017 episode of my favourite TV series.
#3 #2 #5 #3 #4

Hint.  The last word is singular!

A group of Knights were preparing to leave for the Crusade with King Richard.
One knight told his best friend: "My bride is without doubt one of the most beautiful women in the world. It would be a terrible waste if no man could have her. Therefore, as my best and most trusted friend, I am leaving you the key to her chastity belt to use should I not return from the Crusade."
The company of knights were only a mile or so out of town when they noticed a cloud of dust approaching.
Thinking it might be an important message from the town the column halted.
A horseman approached. It was the knight's best friend.
He yells: "Hey, you gave me the wrong key!!"

My few days off have gone in a flash :(

With fondest regards & deepest respect & wishing you

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: February 01, 2021, 02:32:22 AM »
Made in 1964, it's a bit of a cult film - part comedy, part fantasy, part western and part other things.

I finally solved your very tricky puzzle Mike!  Jack was obviously way ahead of me :laugh:  I had a little assistance from Ms Google with Lau.  Once I knew what it was it was bleedin' obvious :-R  I really enjoyed it & hope you'll find time to do more :)

Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: February 01, 2021, 05:37:22 AM »
Hi Pen,

If I’ve got the answer right I would have given the word count as #3 2 #5 3 #4

I use “#” to indicate the word is associated with a picture. The absence of a “#” means that the word indicates the relationship between plctures.

If I’m right it is a very clever puzzle. I hope I haven’t murdered it.

Bonnie is stirring and so I must go. I’ll try to get back with a spoiler alert and a puzzle later today.

P.S. I nearly used your last cartoon in my last post. Spooky!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 05:41:09 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: February 01, 2021, 06:06:56 AM »

I use “#” to indicate the word is associated with a picture. The absence of a “#” means that the word indicates the relationship between plctures.

If I’m right it is a very clever puzzle. I hope I haven’t murdered it.

P.S. I nearly used your last cartoon in my last post. Spooky!

I'm back Jack

Well you know what they say...

I think we'll take the first bit >:D

I did question myself about the word count but wasn't sure.  I'll take 7/10 must stop talking in class & pay more attention :laugh:
Glad you put it right in case I confuse anybody else.

I watched one last night in which a man was found dead at the bottom of an enormous barrel of cider!  Love it :)  You certainly wouldn't want to live there as your life expectancy would be very low indeed :laugh:  It's actually filmed very near to where I grew up in Stokenchurch. 

Going to search for a few words & then slump despondently in front of the box & contemplate work tomorrow :(

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: February 01, 2021, 07:10:50 AM »
The first two novels featuring a certain detective.
The title of each novel starts with the definite article, but this is not shown as part of the rebus.
I've taken liberties with the punctuation of the first title.

Please identify the titles of the two novels.
(3) 6(1) 7 and (3) 7

Bonus points for
the full name of the detective
the first name of his assistant
the name and pseudonym of the author.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 07:17:27 AM by mkenuk »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: February 01, 2021, 07:34:32 AM »
I think I may have solved this Mike but I'm going to keep my powder dry until tomorrow & let other folks have a bash at it.  A cracking pair of puzzles :)
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: February 01, 2021, 02:12:35 PM »
Hi Pen,

You might have wondered why I have been so preoccupied with Bonnie stirring first thing in the morning.  Well, it’s all about house training.  No, not me, :D Bonnie.

Generally speaking, a puppy can control their bladder one hour for every month of age. So if your puppy is two months old, they can hold it for about two hours. Don't go longer than this between bathroom breaks or they're guaranteed to have an accident.

For the past couple of months, I have probably commented that I have been taking her outside somewhere between midnight and 2 am.  Well, now she is 7 months old, I have stopped the midnight walks and plan to take her out about 5 am but if she is uncomfortable, she gives little whimpers and so I quickly get her outside.  So far, we have had no accidents, so it seems to be working. 

I have just sent off a congratulatory email to a guy that was in our Brighton Lakes golf group on his ninetieth birthday.  He was the second oldest in our group.   So, how about some retro humour

The puzzle today is an episode from another one of your favorite series.  I like the actors in the series, but I am not so keen on the story lines.
#4  2  #3   #4

A thought to those people who blame their inadequacies on alcohol.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 04:19:36 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: February 01, 2021, 06:29:19 PM »
OK, Jack,
It's 'everything you always wanted to know about rebuses but were too afraid to ask' time.

If I add a rebus to a reply as an attachment, I find that I am limited to a maximum of four pictures.

However, your last post contained (by my reckoning) ten pictures.

Not to beat about the bush - how do you do it? Presumably your pictures are not added as attachments; a straight 'cut and paste' from stuff on my computer, however, simply elicits no response.

Answers in words of one syllable or less, please. My computer literacy age is about three.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: February 01, 2021, 08:48:38 PM »
If I can learn Mike (I'm a technological nightmare!) then you certainly can.  I'll leave Jack to explain as he's got me to where I am now & puts it far better than I ever could.

The answer to your brilliant puzzles :)

This gent is Cormoran Strike in the telly series & the books are The Cuckoo's Calling & The Silkworm.  His assistant is Robin.
I have to confess that I haven't read the books but I did enjoy the programme.

Jack I'll be back to have a wrestle with your puzzle later when I'm not so busy!