Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 820220 times)

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #5295 on: January 08, 2021, 07:26:53 PM »
Hi Jack
I can't believe that you found a photo of my beloved late Labrador taking himself for a walk! It is the absolute spit of him in his later years!! Christine

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: January 08, 2021, 08:20:07 PM »
Excluding punk & rap, i do enjoy just about every genre of music (depending on my mood ) & that does include classical so i did appreciate your Beethoven joke which gave me a smile.

I went to Woolies in the midst of our last outbreak of panic buying.
There were two people in front of me in the line up to the meat section.
The bloke in front of me was furious as he turned around to exclaim " did you see what that selfish bitch in front of me just did, there were about a dozen trays of mince there & she just scooped up every last one of them into her trolley"
I think that he was disappointed with my moderate response when i said " well yes, that was a bit rude and rather inconsiderate " as i turned around & went back to the deli section.
I had indeed planned on buying a kilo of mince & was a little miffed that there was none left but it was no big deal, i simply changed my upcoming menu ideas & purchased half a dozen fish fillets, a quarter leg ham on the bone & about eight chicken thighs.

My niece is the manager of a BIG W store in Dalby ( about 3 hours west of Brisbane ) but even there , they were impacted by the ridiculous panic buying of toilet paper.
After a couple of weeks & once things had settled down, she told me about how her store was inundated by all of these customers turning up with 2,3 or 4 huge packages of 24 or 36 roll toilet paper & asking for a refund,
I am glad to say that all of those refund requests were declined.

I find it hard to comprehend why some people just can not understand that even in this pandemic just how lucky we are in Australia, our supply lines are unaffected, our food chain is uninterrupted & if everyone just shops normally then there is absolutely no need for any panic buying.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: January 08, 2021, 11:21:43 PM »

Crumbs I hardly know where to start!  Is it a slow day in the Brisbane area today?  I turn my back for 5 minutes & millions of posts have appeared :laugh:

We had a brief spate of panic buying before Christmas when it was announced there would be a shortage of fresh fruit & veg  As you both rightly point out there is no bloody need for it & it makes my blood boil >:(  Of all the press & media the BBC are the worst culprits for whipping up a frenzy >:(  Totally irresponsible.  I avoid their news coverage & website like the plague (or the virus if you prefer!)

Anyway on a cheerier note I thoroughly enjoyed all the jokes & cartoons.  Really tickled me :laugh: Cheered up a cold, grey day. 1c just now.  Thankfully none of the white stuff yet!

I just popped round to the Co-op to get my Smellygraph & said "Can I pay by card?"
The lady on the till replied "No problem, what card do you have?"
I said "The Queen of diamonds!"

Lance is an uncommon name nowadays.
However, in mediaeval times people were called Lance a lot!

Eleven people were hanging on a rope under a helicopter, ten men and one woman. The rope was not strong enough to carry them all, so they decided that one has to drop off, otherwise they are all going to fall.
They were not able to choose that person, but then the woman made a very touching speech.
She said that she would voluntarily let go of the rope, because as a woman she was used to giving up everything for her husband and children, and for men in general, without ever getting anything in return. As soon as she finished her speech, all the men started clapping their hands.

Leave you with a few silly jokes & as it's nearly lunchtime my egg, salad cream & tomato sarnies are calling me :-H
I'll be back to tackle your puzzle after lunch Jack :)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 12:20:52 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: January 09, 2021, 01:16:58 AM »
I'm back Jack!

That was a cracking puzzle & it took me some time to unravel :)  I got totally hung up on the second picture & was convinced it was watched or spied - neither of which have the correct number of letters :-R

Anyway after a lot of head scratching & brain searching I think the book is
The
Heavens you wouldn't want to take that for a walk where it was wet & muddy :laugh:  You'd have to take it to the laundrette!!

My puzzle is a quote from a book written in 1982.  I have never read any of this gent's books.  Far too scary for me :laugh:

(#3 #3 #2 #5) #7 #4 #4 #4 #2 #3 #6
IN
Clues
The first picture represents the first four words.
First words of the titles in pictures 2 and 6.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 01:18:35 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: January 09, 2021, 10:48:59 AM »
Quote from: Pen
I got totally hung up on the second picture & was convinced it was watched or spied - neither of which have the correct number of letters :-R

The word count is useful isn't it?.  >:D

Your puzzle had me scratching my head for some time but the word count and the clues eventually did the trick.  It was a good one.

Quote from: Also by Pen
Need a small snooze before contemplating my chicken & leek pie:-H

I meant to comment on this earlier.  Andrew introduced us to Nigella Lawson’s recipe and it has since become one of our favourites.

Puzzle: A momentous event in January 1965 that set a record that was not broken until some years later.  Name the event, the record, and the event which exceeded the record.

#5  #7  2  7(#3  #4)  9(#6  #4)

of    
Hints. 
Picture 1 - pick any one.
Picture 2, 3, and 4 – the occurrence not the object.

As an additional piece of trivia, Major General Fazle Mukim Khan formally opened the Mirzapur Cadet College for academic activities in East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) on an auspicious date in that month.

As I just said to June, the woman in this cartoon certainly got it right. :angel:

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 10:53:13 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: January 09, 2021, 11:03:01 AM »
I can't believe that you found a photo of my beloved late Labrador taking himself for a walk! It is the absolute spit of him in his later years!!

I  can't claim any credit but I'm glad it brought back memories.  The pain of losing them diminishes over time but the good memories cheer us forever.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 11:04:52 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: January 09, 2021, 02:02:31 PM »
Regards, Jack

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: January 09, 2021, 02:33:10 PM »
[img
Crumbs I hardly know where to start!  Is it a slow day in the Brisbane area today?  I turn my back for 5 minutes & millions of posts have appeared :laugh:
[/quote

Hi Pen, i went for a short walk this morning just down to the local shops.
There was a smattering of road traffic & i only saw about 6 or 7 other people out walking or riding their pushbikes ( all were wearing masks ).
The IGA is a smallish store but they stock all the basics, have a reasonably sized fruit & veg section & a small meat section.
They were sold out of a few items but i was able to pick up everything i needed so i will be able to put off braving the major supermarket until late next week.
During the 10 minutes that i was inside the shop, i saw staff turn away 3 different people who were not wearing masks.
The last of these ignorant people was a young woman who argued profanely before returning 10 seconds later to repeatedly kick the glass front door as hard as she could.
Staff quickly chased her away & no damage was done.
More importantly, there were no such issues at the bottle shop which was well stocked so i was able to pick up my normal supply without any problem.
Actually it is just about beer o'clock, i have a race coming up at the Gold Coast & Australia just took another wicket so bye for now.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: January 10, 2021, 02:50:15 AM »
More importantly, there were no such issues at the bottle shop which was well stocked so i was able to pick up my normal supply without any problem.
Actually it is just about beer o'clock, i have a race coming up at the Gold Coast & Australia just took another wicket so bye for now.

Sounds like you have it sussed Les :)
I'll pass on the horse racing but like the sound of the beer o'clock & cricket :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: January 10, 2021, 03:52:40 AM »
The word count is useful isn't it?.  >:D

I meant to comment on this earlier.  Andrew introduced us to Nigella Lawson’s recipe and it has since become one of our favourites.

Puzzle: A momentous event in January 1965 that set a record that was not broken until some years later.  Name the event, the record, and the event which exceeded the record.

As I just said to June, the woman in this cartoon certainly got it right. :angel:

Hi Jack

Is it too late in the day to say

My compliments on another brilliant post :)

You are quite right of course!  The word count is very useful :laugh:

Andrew obviously has very good taste!  I love chicken & leek pie as you know!  If I'm making it just for me then I make it like a shepherd's pie with mashed spud on top.  If I was making it as a pie for 2 then I'd put puff pastry on the top.  Either way very yummy :-H

Zoe & I solved your puzzle & we sussed what record it set. However, you have us stumped :laugh: We cannot find out what event exceeded it!  Might need an additional clue please!

My puzzle took place in the 1930s.
#9 #2 #3 #(4+3)

OF
First names of both gents.
Can you name the year & the person responsible please.

A ship carrying blue paint has collided with a ship carrying red paint...
Both crews have been marooned!

My mate failed part of his Australian musical instruments exam...
I asked him "Did you redo it?"

A young chap was wandering round his neighbourhood trying to find a job.  Unfortunately he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
He met a nice man who said he would give him some work. All he had to do was paint his porch white. He gave him a bucket of paint and went indoors.
He laughingly told his wife what he'd done.  "Frank, our porch covers half of the house! You're so mean." his wife replied. Three hours later, the man went into the house, and gave the bucket of white paint back to Frank.
He was astonished but handed the young man £100 & asked "How come you finished it so quickly?"
"It takes time, but it was fairly easy." was his reply. "Oh, and it's a Ferrari, not a Porsche."

I'm off to the kitchen to ping some M&S grub.  Unless Zoe beats me to it >:D

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 03:58:01 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: January 10, 2021, 04:11:47 AM »
ps Zoe & I watched Hidden Figures last night.  A very good film.  Zoe was a bit put out that the actor playing John Glenn didn't look much like him :D  Another thing that happened in March of the year of your puzzle was the first man to walk in space.
Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: January 10, 2021, 06:35:14 AM »
Hi Pen,

I've sussed your puzzle.  I'll give you Jim's full name and year in the usual spoiler alert in my next post.

The record in my puzzle was the number of international celebrities at that type of event.  I don't know how they count them.  I am relying on Wikipedia.

Thanks for the good wishes.  It was a quiet celebration given it was the first day of the Lock Down and Andrew went back to Canberra on Friday.

Catch ya Later
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: January 11, 2021, 03:16:49 AM »
The record in my puzzle was the number of international celebrities at that type of event.  I don't know how they count them.  I am relying on Wikipedia.

Andrew went back to Canberra on Friday.

Hi Jack

I guessed that Andrew had gone back to Canberra as you mentioned the very long queue outside the butchers on Friday on your return trip from the airport.

I've done a little research on the final bit of your puzzle & the best that I can come up with is Princess Diana's funeral in 1997 which is what my initial thought was anyway!

I was a little short of inspiration so my puzzle today is a little tongue in cheek :)  It's something that took place on this day in 1839.
#3 #4 #5 #5 #7 #2 #3 #6 #7

IN
Couple of small clues = not that you'll need them!  Second picture swap the middle 2 letters around.  The last picture represents the last 2 words.
I picked Frankie Dettori for Les's benefit ;)  The horse race is irrelevant!

Is there a theme here do you think? >:D

Leave you with a couple of naff jokes
Witness:  "I saw an octopus rob a bank this morning"
Reporter:  "Did he have a gun?"
Witness:  "No but he was well armed!"

One of my neighbours told me he got so bored during lockdown he changed all the wrappers round on the sweets in a box of Celebrations. 
His wife wasn't very happy...
She got her Snickers in a Twix!

That's it I'm going to contemplate

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: January 11, 2021, 05:50:47 AM »
Hi Pen,

I think I’ve sussed your puzzle.  I do the outstanding spoilers, and the one for it and mine below in separate posts.

Quote from: Facebook
So I was at the store earlier with my service dog. The lady in front of me at the checkout had about $200 worth of toilet paper in her shopping cart. With an attitude she asked me what type of dog I had. I told her it was my service dog. Then she got real snarky and said, I knew that. What type of service? I said he was a BLD. By now he was licking her face and hands being super friendly. She said, what is a BLD? I told her it stood for Butt Licking Dog. She said Butt Licking Dog? I said yeah, he has been trained to lick my butt clean because I can't seem to be able to find toilet paper because of hoarders. The cashier completely lost it.

The puzzle is a quote from a nineteenth-century novel, the first to be blessed by a Pope (Leo XIII).

#5  #2  5  #2  #4  2 4 #2  #6

never as when

Hint: the pooch is dyslectic.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: January 11, 2021, 06:28:46 AM »
Hi Jack

A little flummoxed by your puzzle!  I think I've got the first 4 words & possibly the last one.  I'll return to it tomorrow with a fresh eye :)
Might need a small hint ;D

Your cartoons really tickled me :laugh: