Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 871612 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #5205 on: December 22, 2020, 06:52:38 AM »
That's brilliant Jack :)  One of my footie mad colleagues told me that they don't have a sweeper in football any more!  Oh well what do I know?  It's just not cricket ;D  I'm a bit weary this evening so I'll go at your puzzle with a fresh eye in the morning.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: December 22, 2020, 08:10:31 PM »
G'day Jack, i am sure that Pen will not mind if i do a bit of a spoiler on your most recent puzzle.
This series was a beauty & brings back a lot of memories for me.
I would have been in my early teens so any evening viewing on the relatively new colour T.V. was of course determined by my parents.
My mum loved her magazines, she bought just about every one available, she liked the stories, some of the articles. the celebrity profiles & dramas, the puzzles & crosswords but especially the cooking recipes.
So when they decided to watch a program that i found boring & i had nothing better to do, i would rifle through the huge collection of old magazines that had accumulated in the spare room.
The only reason that i selected the magazine that featured bikini clad women on the front page was because it also had a full page crossword in the back.. honestly.
Anyway while flipping through one of these mags one night, i came across an article about a new & upcoming actor named Michael Douglas ( son of the legendary Kirk Douglas ) who was making his television debut in an American crime series that would soon be coming to Australian screens.
Several months later & my parents decide to watch this new crime show which is debuting in Australia.
As the T.V. scrolls through the introduction of the cast, i immediately recall the article that i had read & recognise Michael Douglas.
I go over & over it in my mind as i do not wish to sound silly but convinced that i am correct when the first commercial comes on i say " i bet you don't know that the bloke playing the young inspector is the son of Kirk Douglas.
What a load of absolute rot bellows the stepfather.
Stepfather was a unique person, always right, new everything, been everywhere done everything & never wrong so when an opportunity presents you just have to take him on.
I'll bet you my entire pocket money for next week that i am right.
Mother interjects, there will be no such betting taking place, just settle down the both of you & lets enjoy this show which looks like it is going to be very good at the same time she slides across to whisper in my ear, you might be right Les that dimple in his chin looks very familiar.
Several weeks later, i'm arriving home from school, the stepfather is sitting on the patio having a beer & as i walk past he invites me to sit, your mother is still at bowls so sit down here & have a beer with me.
He disappears inside & returns with an ice cold stubby & as i drink it down he slides across a $10 note ( twice my normal pocket money )
There was a show on T.V. last night where they were lauding the success of this new crime show from America which starred Karl Malden & young Michael Douglas, they highlighted the fact that Michael was the son of the legendary Kirk Douglas.
That was as close as i ever got to an apology from that man.

And here is a bit of little known trivia ;
After just a few years, Michael left the series to produce his own movie.
The series was never as good after that as it was always the interaction between Douglas & Malden that made it so great.
That first movie that Michael Douglas went on to produce was called " One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest "

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: December 22, 2020, 09:41:40 PM »
Hi Jack

I solved your puzzle - one of my favourite programmes in it's day :)  I believe it was one of this gent's early roles

My puzzle is a 1980's American TV programme.  I wasn't such a fan of this one.
#3 #5 #2 #7
The

I've designed a website for depressed tennis players...
The servers are down!

What's tiny & sounds like a pigeon...?
A smidgen!

What does Father Christmas suffer from if he gets stuck in the chimney...?
Claus-trophobia!

A couple of duff jokes for you ;D

One of my favourite old programmes - the original not the remake!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 10:11:43 PM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: December 22, 2020, 10:07:35 PM »
G'day Jack, i am sure that Pen will not mind if i do a bit of a spoiler on your most recent puzzle.
 i came across an article about a new & upcoming actor named Michael Douglas ( son of the legendary Kirk Douglas )

You spoil away Les - I don't mind in the slightest as you should know by now.  Our puzzles are a bit of fun & there for anybody who fancies having a go!
You're right - it was a cracking series!

I'd already included a picture of Michael Douglas in my post while you were posting & am too lazy to remove it!

I enjoyed your story :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: December 23, 2020, 06:07:08 AM »
Hi Pen,

You signed of with my next puzzle.   I’ll go away and think of another one.  May not make it by the time you are ready to kip.  We’ll have to stop thinking alike. :D

I was really glad Les has joined into our conversation.  Perhaps others may also be encouraged to.

I liked the two good old boys in your puzzle but I loved Daisy.

I must Fly.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 06:09:27 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: December 23, 2020, 06:36:50 AM »
P.S. 

A quick and easy effort

Also an American TV series of the era we have been discussing.  The last picture has a link to your puzzle

7(#3  #2  #2)

You have to drop the last letter off the first picture.
You have to drop the first letter in the second picture.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: December 23, 2020, 06:52:41 AM »
You signed of with my next puzzle.   I’ll go away and think of another one.  May not make it by the time you are ready to kip.  We’ll have to stop thinking alike. :D

I was really glad Les has joined into our conversation.  Perhaps others may also be encouraged to.

Oops sorry Jack :-[  you know what they say...

I think there may be more to that quote but I can't for the life of me remember the rest of it >:D

Like you I'm very glad Les has joined in :)

Your cartoons really tickled me - especially the cat food one :laugh:

I'm going to search for a few words then head for my comfy chair for an hour or 2!

Just spotted your tricky puzzle.  It took me a second look before I sussed it! Before I go I think there was just one more thing...

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 06:54:13 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: December 24, 2020, 02:29:47 AM »
Hi Jack

It's bucketing down with rain here :(  I rather suspect I'm going to get soaked on my way back to the car at going home time :laugh:

I've come up with a puzzle which is a film from many moons ago.  I thought I'd already used it but I've searched & can't find it anywhere!
#7 #2 #3 #4

I suspect you'll find this too easy peasy :laugh:

I wanted to post a clip from Eric & Ernie which would not only have given you the answer but would have made you laugh.  But of course it's the BBC & I'm not allowed >:(

Two Americans are touring Europe & are due to arrive in France Sunday afternoon.  However, they were several hours early & had nothing to do on Sunday morning when everything was closed.
One of them pointed to a nearby cathedral & said "Why don't we attend mass?"  "Sure, why not" replies his friend "but we don't know how the French pray & we don't speak any French."
The first guy thinks for a moment & then says "I have an idea!  We'll pick a man in the congregation & sit behind him.  Whatever he does we'll do the same."
His friend agrees so they enter the church move near to the front & sit behind a French gent.
Fifteen minutes pass & their plan is working well.  After 30 minutes no issues.  After 45 minutes they are used to the routine.  Suddenly, whilst everyone is seated,  the priest says something in French.  The guy they chose stands up so the two American do the same.
The entire congregation bursts out laughing.
Realising that nobody else is standing up the two Americans quickly sit down & decide to leave as soon as possible.  After the service they approach the priest who speaks a little English.   "We're well meaning guys who don't speak French & just chose someone to copy while praying." says one.
"Ah" said the priest "I expect you're wondering why everyone laughed at you?"  "Yes" replies the other.
"Well, I announced the baptism of a child and I asked the father to stand up..."

Nearly home time :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: December 24, 2020, 06:12:12 AM »
[  you know what they say.... I think there may be more to that quote but I can't for the life of me remember the rest of it >:D

Don’t worry about it, I am sure it wouldn’t apply to us. :angel:

Can you spot the one in the next trio that I have used before?

I got interrupted at this point yesterday and didn’t get back to it so I will send it off and try to finish it off when coffee clears the brain.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: December 24, 2020, 06:34:03 AM »
Don’t worry about it, I am sure it wouldn’t apply to us. :angel:

Can you spot the one in the next trio that I have used before?

No I didn't think for one second it would apply to us ;)

I'm not sure which of the cartoons you've used before!  They all made me chuckle but if you had my arm up my back I'd guess the first one.  I do sort of recognise the third one though!

A busy day & a bit knacked this evening :-Y  I'm very glad there's only one more day to work!

I look forward to your next instalment if & when you get chance :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 10:41:55 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: December 24, 2020, 07:40:38 PM »
Hi Pen,

The puzzle today is to name a well-known poem first published in the 19th Century.

#3  #2  #1  11(#5  #2  #4)

A bit more Christmas humour.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: December 24, 2020, 10:08:51 PM »
Pen, is this the Morecome and Wise skit you were referring to?

It is Jack :)  Even though I've seen it millions of times it still makes me laugh :laugh:

I'll apply myself to your puzzle in a little while

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: December 24, 2020, 10:39:54 PM »
I'm back Jack.

I enjoyed your puzzle & solved it at my second attempt :)

My puzzle is an opera.  Hope I haven't done it before.
#3 #6 #2 #7

Here's an extra clue for the last word though it might be a red herring & cause a little confusion :laugh:

Nearly time for lunch :-H

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: December 25, 2020, 06:19:06 AM »
I understand that not all people celebrate Christmas, and for those that do,
not all celebrate it on December 25.

However, on this day, I wish that regular and occasional visitors to this thread have an enjoyable and rewarding day and have a safe and healthy 2021.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 06:21:25 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack