Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814100 times)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #5085 on: November 20, 2020, 03:33:19 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Jack.

I only came across this christmas carol for dogs while listening to one of those talk back radio shows.
Several owners rang into the show telling the host that their dogs had reacted immediately with a lot of excitement & funny reactions to the song.
There were two callers who said that their dog had no reaction at all.

Hopefully, i will get some further feedback from another forum dog owner whose dog has reacted differently.

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: November 21, 2020, 12:20:27 AM »
Hi Les
my 7 year old cocker reacted to the squeaky toy noise and she did sit down the second time it was said. She ignored the door bell as thankfully it has a different ring to ours!I spend a lot of time watching dog related programmes and she tends to get a bit fed up and goes in her basket to sulk but I think she liked the music on this clip as her ears kept wiggling and she sat by my side for the whole thing.

I like the level of intelligence of gun dog breeds as they are pretty bright but easy going with it. I always felt that a collie would be too hard work as Jack is correct that they are super bright but I would get weary of having to be one step ahead of their next decision! I had a Lab years ago that veered close to that level and he used to look a bit peeved when I told"him not to even think about it" if I  had worked out his next move!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: November 21, 2020, 01:28:55 AM »
I don't have a dog Les as I'm sure you must be aware.  I still very much enjoyed the clip though - loved watching all the dogs :)
Glad you had a smashing birthday x
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: November 21, 2020, 01:38:34 AM »
Hi Christine and Les,

One of our favourite sayings to Bonnie is "don't even think about it."

I tried the recording a second time with Bonnie.  I turned up the volume to max. on the iPad and put it on the floor next to her.  Initially, she got a bit excited by the music and the visuals and cocked the head inquisitively and ran around looking at the iPad from various angles but after about a minute she wandered off to do something else.

I suspect the difference from the callers of the radio program is whether they commonly used to tell their dog "walkies" before going for a walk.  We have never used the term.  As she is only 4 months old perhaps her vocabulary is still developing.  Also, although she gets sometimes gets highly excited on the walk (bikes, scooters, some other dogs), she doesn't show excitement at the prospect of it as she dislikes the harness we use.  This was recommended and sold to us by the "Puppy School".

Later this morning, She and Dusty are off to a new "Dog Obedience class.  I am looking forward to that with some trepidation.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 02:06:09 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: November 21, 2020, 01:53:17 AM »
Hi Jack

Another grey, cold & wet day in Bletchley.  Wish I could be beamed up to yours for an hour or 2 :laugh:

A friend of mine went bald a few years ago but he still carries around an old comb...
he just can't part with it!

Three old ladies are sitting on a park bench when a flasher comes by and opens his trench coat right in front of them.
The first old lady has a stroke, the second old lady also has a stroke, but the third old lady sadly just couldn't quite reach!

Better get the kettle on as Zoe will be in from work & wanting a cuppa shortly.

ps hope you don't get too trepidated at the new Dog Obedience class >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: November 21, 2020, 02:15:57 AM »
Hi Pen,

I am not sure about beaming you here with the current technology.  Who knows what you would arrive without. >:D

I asked Blue how he and Sheila had managed to stay married for so long in this day and age. His response was, “When we were first married we came to an agreement. I would make all the major decisions and Sheila would make all the minor decisions. And in all these years of marriage, we have never needed to make a major decision.”

“That’s very wise”, I said.  I asked him if he had any other pearls of wisdom and he gave me this list:
    •   Whether a man winds up with a nest egg, or a goose egg, depends a lot on the kind of chick he marries.
    •   Trouble in marriage often starts when a man gets so busy earnin’ his salt, that he forgets his sugar.
    •   Too many couples marry for better, or for worse, but not for good.
    •   When a man marries a woman, they become one; but the trouble starts when they try to decide which one.
    •   If a man has enough horse sense to treat his wife like a thoroughbred, she will never turn into an old nag.
    •   On anniversaries, the wise husband always forgets the past – but never the present.
    •   A foolish husband says to his wife, “Honey, you stick to the washin’, ironin’, cookin’, and scrubbin’. No wife of mine is gonna work.”
    •   The bonds of matrimony are a good investment, only when the interest is kept up.
    •   Many girls like to marry a military man – he can cook, sew, and make beds, and is in good health, and he’s already used to taking orders.
    •   Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age, and start bragging about it.
    •   The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.

After 50 years of wondering why he didn’t look like his younger sister or brother, Blue finally got up the nerve to ask his mother if he was adopted.

Yes, you were son,” his mother said,“but it didn’t work out and they brought you back.

I haven't got time to find a bye-bye meme that I haven’t used before.  I’ve got to spend 10 minutes picking some horses or Les will be Scotty at me.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: November 21, 2020, 06:26:36 AM »
Great cartoons Jack & I thought Blue's pearls of wisdom brilliant :laugh:

I'd hate to arrive in your garden with bits missing >:D

Zoe & I are just debating which film to watch with a small glass of something ;D  We'll probably end up with a naff disaster film as we struggle to find things we both like as our tastes are quite different.  In the last couple of weeks we've watched San Andreas & Skyscraper.  San Andreas is especially naff!

Look forward to hearing how the new obedience class went.
Penx

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: November 22, 2020, 02:19:34 AM »
Hi Jack
I have just read an article in The Times (Nov 21st) about an experiment being run by an Hungarian scientist into the intelligence of dogs. Two Border Collies  - one in Hungary and one in the USA are going head to head in this article but they are testing dogs world wide. All the dogs that owners contacted the team about were Collies. You will no doubt be able to source the article  or other details on line.
Once again in defence of lesser breeds I will say that the Lab I often mention knew the names of all his toys. His favourites were Big Herbert and Little Herbert the squeaky hedgehogs and the correct one requested was always thrown at my feet. No comparison really!!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: November 22, 2020, 06:29:51 AM »
Hi Christine,

Thanks for the heads-up.

I found this article from the New York Times which covers the subject

I have looked at many other rankings of the intelligence of dogs, not all of which agree, and Labs seems to come in 6th or 7th.  Of course, as with humans, there will be a range of intelligence with individual dogs within any breed.

Also, there are different types of intelligence.  Remembering the meanings of nouns is only one. Understanding concepts is another.  When we were out walking in the bush Zephyr would always be out in the lead.  When we came to a fork in the road, June would say left or right and he would pick the correct one every time. There were other indications that he knew what we were talking about among ourselves in ordinary conversation.

Daisy hid her verbal talents but she was an escape artist who would put Houdini in the shade.  She was very adept at problem-solving.

But in the end, it is not their intelligence that matters but the enrichment they bring into our lives.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: November 22, 2020, 06:45:42 AM »
Hi Pen,

One incident caused much hilarity at my expense. We took Bonnie over to Coorparoo early so she and Dusty could let off some steam before going to training.

Bonnie was chasing Dusty at a rate just under the speed of sound when she caught him and changed his direction and both of them went straight into my legs.  I went down like a stunned mullet while they continued their chase. On their next pass, Dusty jumped onto my stomach, again at full speed and used it as a trampoline to get away from Bonnie.  He apparently enjoyed the performance so much; he repeated it on the next pass before I could get to my feet.   Apart from my pride, I was not injured but a combined weight of 25 kg. hitting you at speed can give you quite a jolt and I am a bit sore this morning.

Bonnie behaved reasonably well at training apart from taking a set against the instructor and growling at her.  We have homework to do and are committed to repeating the training at home every day.  The Instruction was much better than that at Puppy School and about half the price.

Blue’s next door neighbour tells Blue his wife hasn't wanted to have sex with him for the past 7 months. Blue tells his neighbour he will get his friend Ocker who understands about these things to talk to his wife to see if he can find out the reason.

Ocker asks the wife why doesn't she want to have sex with her husband any more.

"For the last 7 months," the wife replies, "every morning I take a cab to work. I don't make much money and my husband doesn't give more than the bus fare, so the cab driver always asks me, 'So are you going to pay today or what?' I always give him an 'or what'. That makes me late to work I'm late, so the boss asks me, 'So are we going to dock your salary, or what?' That's another 'or what.' On the way home, I take the cab and again I don't have any money so the cab driver asks me, 'So are you going to pay this time or what?' And, again, I do an 'or what'. So you see, Ocker, when I get home I'm all tired out and I don't want sex any more."

Ocker thinks for a second. "So," he says, "are we going to tell your husband or what?"

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: November 22, 2020, 06:57:03 AM »
Hi Jack

Work for me tomorrow :(  Unfortunately our weekend lady is poorly.  I'm feeling a little gloomy this evening as I have the prospect of a five day week ahead!  Anyway I'll return tomorrow with a spring in my step & a proper post :laugh:

I got to here & then you posted.
Your post made me howl with laughter & I wish we had a video of the incident!  I'm sorry you're a little sore but it sounds hilarious :laugh:  Just what I needed to cheer me up :)

Anyway as I was saying I'll be back later...

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: November 22, 2020, 11:47:43 AM »
Hi Jack

Hope it was your dignity that was hurt an not your person

Perhaps you had better go straight to the sit stay and drop  lesson

I am sure this event will be brought out at family gathering with much hilarity

Must admit I did laugh  :-C :laugh:

Carol

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: November 22, 2020, 11:59:23 AM »
BUT......Jack....we want the video !
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: November 22, 2020, 12:41:37 PM »
Hi Carol and Moyra,

Luckily, it happened on thick grass, so the fall did no damage.  I don't blame you for laughing.  My daughter said she felt guilty because she was laughing so much she couldn't ask if I was hurt.  I would give quids for a video of the incident but it happened so quickly out of the blue. Dusty's first bounce on my stomach may have been accidental but apparently, the second one was quite deliberate and he looked very pleased with himself.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: November 22, 2020, 10:32:56 PM »
G'day Jack

I'm at work & attempting to have the promised spring in my step...

I wont be doing any hoovering but I liked the picture >:D

Here's a shaggy dog story for you.  Not sure it quite works but it tickled me ;D
I heard from Kylie that Blue appeared on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.  Towards the end of the programme he had already won 500,000 dollars.
"You've done very well" said the show's presenter Eddie McGuire.  "But for a million dollars you only have one lifeline remaining - phone a friend.  If you get it wrong you'll only take home 100,000 dollars. Everything is riding on it. Will you go for it?"
Blue shrugged & said "I'll give it a go!"
"Which of the following does not build it's own nest?  a) Sparrow b) Thrush  c) Cuckoo d) Magpie
"I haven't a clue" said Blue.  "So I'll use my last lifeline & phone my wife Sheila"
Eddie 'phoned Sheila's phone.  "Hello is this Sheila?  I'm calling from Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.  I'm here with Blue & he needs your help to win a million dollars.  Are you ready?"
"Sorry she's not here!  This is her brother Bruce"
Blue was distraught.  Bruce was, unfortunately, not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
The host said that according to the rules this would count as his call no matter who picks up.
So he goes ahead & reads the question & alternatives out loud.
"Bloody hell Blue!" cries Bruce.  "That's an easy question - it's a cuckoo!"
"Are you sure?"  asks Blue.
"course I'm f***ing sure!" says Bruce.
Blue turns to the host & says "I'll go with cuckoo!"
"Is that your final answer?"  Eddie asks?  "It is" says Blue
There was a long long pause & then the host screamed "Cuckoo is the right answer - you've won a million dollars!"
The following evening Blue called round to buy Bruce a drink.  "Tell me"  says Blue "How did you know it was a cuckoo?"
"Blimey mate" says Bruce "everyone knows a cuckoo lives in a clock!"

Hope they all stick today - I lost one yesterday!

Nearly lunchtime :-H