Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821757 times)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #4170 on: June 11, 2020, 07:57:07 PM »
Runestone is sort of fruity, dry and delish!  Try it if you like a dry white wine. I  used to have the occasional glass of pink down at my book club (those were the days!) and it was quite nice on a summer's evening - think it was called something like Jack Rabbit?  Anyway, still prefer a dry white!

My choices for lunch today are - ham, turkey slices, soup, eggs, tuna, salmon, sardines, tomato, lettuce, beetroot, salad cream, no cheese, spring onions, fresh grainy type bread, no corned beef (damn, keep forgetting to buy some) or a trip down to the local bakery!!  Decisions, decisions!  Washing is ready to hang out and I can hardly contain my excitement!  >:D  I'm sure the demon icon used to be prettier than it is now!  >:D >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: June 11, 2020, 08:19:46 PM »
You are right about the demon icon - it's not as pretty as it used to be.  I do like dry white wine so I'd like to give the Runestone a whirl.  Like to try something different :)

You have a smorgasbord (might have spelt that wrong!) of choice for lunch.  I'd be having a terrible dither but the bread sounds yummy whatever you put in it :-H
Note to Linda - remember to buy some corned beef!!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: June 11, 2020, 08:27:29 PM »
I will add it to my shopping list right now!  Washing is fluttering away in the breeze but now ominous looking dark clouds are gathering.  Typical!

We buy our Runestone from the Co-op, most other things from Morrisons in Kendal.  It's a strange thing that the Morrisons in Kendal is lovely and yet the one in Penrith is awful!  Why would that be? 

Had just decided on a tuna, tomato and salad cream sandwich for lunch when hubby said he was nipping out to get a paper and did I want anything from the bakery .... maybe a Cornish pasty is on the menu now!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: June 11, 2020, 09:11:30 PM »
Oh Linda that's torture - cornish pasty :-H  especially if it's warm.  I'm very cold & very hungry :-H

We have 2 Morrisons in MK & they are quite different too.  Strange isn't it!  I really like Sainsburys but it's tricky at the moment as Morrisons are giving NHS staff 10% off until 1st July.  Feels wrong not to take advantage!  I will look for that Runestone in the Co-op round the corner.

So a tuna, tomato & salad cream sarnie with a warm cornish pasty on the side >:D  Enjoy & keep an eye on that washing!!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: June 11, 2020, 09:32:44 PM »
If you have to accept less for your house than you'd hoped will it not come out in the wash?  Surely you will then pay less for the one you are buying.  Or is it not that simple?

I hope it is, Pen, time will tell.  New houses going on the market don't seem to have dropped but hopefully they too will accept less.

It's been a long day.  I came to Canberra to see if I could get a better deal on a new car than I could in Moss Vale. I'm not up to details tonight - perhaps on the weekend.

I feel brain-dead and you are sparking on all cylinders.  Great post and clever puzzle.  All I can say it would serve you right if Dobbin bit you if you did. ;D

I'll to think of a devilish puzzle on the drive home tomorrow.
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: June 11, 2020, 10:24:04 PM »
cornish pasty :-H  especially if it's warm

I prefer a cold pasty, Pen.  I hope you have had your lunch by now because I did get a Cornish pasty and very good it was, too!  Had a bit of ketchup on the side.  I am not a total glutton (only part glutton) and decided to forget about the sandwich and just concentrate on the pasty! 

Why was the devil icon changed?  The other one was so cute and I should know I used it often enough!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: June 12, 2020, 04:24:56 AM »
Sorry Linda the afternoon ran away with me!  You're not the only part glutton >:D  I do love my grub!

I don't know why the devil icon has changed.  It's a shame!  I think we need to consult Alan - perhaps he'll help us out.

Alan - Linda & I would love to know what's happened to the devil icon please.  We're not so keen on the new model!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 04:28:20 PM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: June 12, 2020, 04:45:42 AM »

It's been a long day.  I came to Canberra to see if I could get a better deal on a new car than I could in Moss Vale. I'm not up to details tonight - perhaps on the weekend.

I feel brain-dead and you are sparking on all cylinders. 

Hi Jack

I'm afraid my battery's gone flat!  I've had a bit of a week at work & I am now knacked!  If I was running a marathon I think the expression would be that I've just hit the wall  :-Y  Though the thought of me running for a bus is enough to make grown men weep :laugh:

I look forward to your devilish puzzle & hearing about your trip over the weekend :)

When you get home

& enjoy a restorative glass or 2  >:D
Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: June 12, 2020, 04:41:37 PM »
Hi Pen,

‘Tis me.

We are back from Canberra.  More about that tomorrow, maybe.

I’ve just got enough energy for a puzzle.  Lets try something different. THE challenge is to guess the phrase hidden in each of these tricky images. See how many you can figure out.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: June 13, 2020, 12:07:01 AM »

Tis me too!

I'm having a very lazy day.  I've done a little bit of housework & that's about it for today.  My Friday dance might be just raising a glass of wine later on this evening & perhaps jiggling my foot at the same time >:D

I was looking for a "Hi Jack" to start off with but all I found was this sort of thing ;D

My compliments on your cartoons :laugh:
I very much enjoyed your challenge & managed to solve them all bar one.  Can't get the second one for love or money!  I'll have to come back to it.

Here's a few brain teasers for you.

A man pushes his car to a hotel & tells the owner he's bankrupt.  Why?

Arnold Schwarzenegger has a long one. Michael J. Fox has a short one. Madonna does not use hers. Bill Clinton always uses his. The Pope never uses his. What is it?

A man shaves several times a day but still has a beard.  How come?

What begins with T & ends with T & has T in it?

What can travel round the World but always stays in a corner?

When young I'm sweet in the sun.  When middle aged,  I make you happy.  When old, I'm valued more than ever. What am I?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: June 13, 2020, 08:18:37 PM »
Hi Pen,

You certainly found my weakness.  I couldn’t solve any of your riddles without using google.

I’ll tell you the sad story of my poor car which I offered as a trade-in on a new vehicle.  It is a Holden Commodore VE Berlina Sportwagon, practically brand new – I bought it in 2008.  It is in good condition and runs well.   It only has 235,000 kilometres on the clock.  However, every time you start it the “Check Engine” light comes on.  This has happened for the last five years and it doesn’t appear to affect the car’s performance. We have received advice that the fault is in the car’s computer related to a common problem these cars have, which is stretched timing chains.  The salesman in Canberra said they could not sell the car until this was addressed and that could involve installing a new timing chain which could cost up to $4000  and as they could only expect to sell it for $5000 all they could offer as a trade-in was $1000.

We also were told that you can do a better deal if you don’t insist on a trade-in and so we have decided to sell our poor car privately and have delegated the job of getting the best price on a new vehicle to our Brisbane family to see what the can achieve there.

I’ve been flat out like a lizard drinking today and so I will sleep on a puzzle for you tonight and will leave you with these:

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: June 14, 2020, 02:43:45 AM »
Hi Jack

I enjoyed your cartoons :laugh:  I couldn't find any funny lizard cartoons!

What a shame about your poor car & also a nuisance for you :(  It's frustrating when they're not that old, in good nick & run well into the bargain.  I have a friend who had a Ford Focus which had a similar problem with the engine management light.  In the end he just drove the car into the ground until it literally conked out.  He's got a newer model now.  Are you going for the same car or trying something different? I found a very nice blue version of your car on Ms Google.  A similar colour to my Aygo & about twice the size.  I'd be terrified driving something that big!!

Sorry if my brainteasers overteased your brain >:D  I hid a few hints in yesterday's cartoons & the same again today ;)

my quick & easy puzzle is an Australian film which I've watched several times & loved.  Don't know how it would stand up now.
6's# 7#  First name of the lady in first picture.
's
Yes I know it's far too easy but I'm hungry & need to head to the kitchen to find something in the fridge to ping :-H

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: June 14, 2020, 03:24:56 AM »
The lady in the picture had indeed a true spark of genius.
She looks to be in her prime.

I  loved the film. One of the greatest 'feelgood' movies of its time. 

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: June 14, 2020, 04:37:31 AM »
Spot on all round Mike :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: June 14, 2020, 08:27:37 AM »
Are you going for the same car or trying something different?  I'd be terrified driving something that big!!

Hi Pen,

We’ve bought Holden’s for over 50 years but now they have quit manufacturing in Australia, our brand loyalty has dried up and we will be going Japanese.  The reason we went for a station wagon in 2008 was because we were doing a lot of travelling and it was ideal for travelling with dogs.  When I read that the Subaru Forester was one of the best vehicles for dogs, it became our vehicle of choice.

I never found the Sportswagon a problem because of size except when parking, but June never liked it.  She test drove a Forester while we were in Canberra and fell in love with it, so that’s the way we are going.  Even though it is probably bigger than the Sportswagon, it handles like a small car.

The subject of your puzzle was discussed by you and Mike on 1 October 2018.  I know both of you loved it and it is probably one of Australia’s best loved movies, but I found something unsettling about it.  One thing I can’t remember, did they have a Tin Kettling?

One of those coincidences?  Blue and Sheila have decided they would like to move to Queensland.  They applied and were granted a border pass to get into Queensland.  I assume you knew that because of COVID, Qld has closed its borders – a course of action which is a bone of contention with both the Federal and NSW Govts.

They found a property that they liked in a rural area of the Sunshine Coast hinterland.  When they got back to Bowral, Blue couldn’t remember where the s’house was - neither could Sheila and she decided to write to the Estate Agent asking for details.  Instead of using Blue’s vulgar term, she used “W.C.”

The Estate agent had not heard of the term and assumed it was an abbreviation for “Wesleyan Chapel” and he sent the following reply:

Dear Sir and Madam:

I take great comfort in informing you that a "W.C." is situated nine miles from the house in the corner of a beautiful grove of pine trees, surrounded by lovely grounds. It is capable of holding 229 people, and it is open on Sundays and Thursdays only. As there are a great many people expected during the summer months, I would suggest that you come early, although there is usually plenty of standing room. This is an unfortunate situation, particularly if you are in the habit of going regularly. You will no doubt be glad to hear that a good many bring their lunch and make a day of it, while others, who can't afford to go by car, arrive just in time. I would especially advise you to go on Thursdays when there is an organ accompanist. The acoustics are excellent and even the most delicate sounds can be heard everywhere. It may interest you to know that my daughter was married in the "W.C." and it was there that she met her husband. I can remember the rush there was for seats. There were ten people to a seat usually reserved for one, and it was wonderful to see the expression on their faces.

The newest attraction is a bell, donated by a wealthy resident of the district, which rings every time a person enters. A Bazaar is to be held to raise money for plush seats for all, since the people believe it is a long felt want. My wife is rather delicate so she can't go regularly: it is almost a year since she went last. Naturally it pains her not to be able to go more often. I shall be delighted to reserve the best seat for you, if you wish, where you will be seen by all. For the children there is a special time so that they will not disturb the elders.

Hoping to have been of some service to you, I remain,

Sincerely, Ima Dummy, Estate Agent.

This is just to keep you going until I can get back with a puzzle.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:32:15 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack