Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821839 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #4110 on: May 30, 2020, 04:39:56 AM »
Hi Jack

It's 7.30pm here & 75f in my living room.  Still sunny & the door's wide open!
The problem with your puzzle is that I have only one picture!  of an ear!!
Love the limerick :laugh:

& wrap up warm >:D
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: May 30, 2020, 09:29:36 AM »
The problem with your puzzle is that I have only one picture!  of an ear!!

Hi Pen,

You have me completely puzzled.  I have tried all my combinations of operating systems and browsers and I get the two pictures one on top of the other.  This is what I sent

3  7#2&2&3

The   

This is it with a substitute picture for the one that did not show for you.

3  7#2&2&3

The   

Let me know if this solves the problem.

Did anyone else have the same problem?
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: May 30, 2020, 08:52:35 PM »
Hi Pen,

We’ve had some feedback from today’s open house.  People are showing interest, but so far no firm bids.  Apparently the banks are playing hard to get with first home buyers which is not good news for us.  Patience is a virtue but it’s not one of my strengths.

The Painting today is one of Australia’s best Known

8#5&4  3  #4

the

Hint: In the first picture you are interested in the clothing not the woman.

Bonus Point:  Who was the artist?
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: May 31, 2020, 02:25:29 AM »
Hi Jack

I'm pleased you have some interest in the house & hope that you get a firm offer very soon.  You & I share at least one trait!  I have zero patience as Zoe will testify :laugh:

I have finally sorted out your previous puzzle with the help of the second picture!  It's The Pioneer by Frederick McCubbin :)  A clever puzzle once I'd got to grips with it.

Onto your next puzzle.  I've found a painting by Tom Roberts & wonder if that's it? Would this be the subject of the picture?

Zoe has suggested today's puzzle.  It's going to be a bit tricky to do but I'll give it a whirl!

7# (2/3/2) 2# 3# 10#  It's an opera.  A hint - think how you might shorten the name of the lady in the 2nd picture.
IN/THE
For you bonus can you please name the composer.

I'm very much enjoying your current crop of cartoons :laugh:

I have a small headache so going to love you & leave you.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: May 31, 2020, 04:38:21 AM »
Hi Pen

We share another trait- lack of curiosity.  >:D

I take it the second original picture didn’t come out in the resend. My only theory is that your copy of Chrome doesn’t handle JPEGs. Mine does, so I’m not sure how to test it. When you get back to work could you let me know if the picture is still missing on your work computer.

You were spot on with both my puzzles. I am trusting you that your sheep was a male.

I am guessing your opera was about the son of Opollo and Calliope and his visit to hell by another friend of Blue – Jack Boomerang.

I must be in my very best form today and so I must hurry back to sleep.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 04:46:28 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: June 01, 2020, 02:09:07 AM »
Hi Jack

I can't claim to be overly curious - just a bit nosy from time to time >:D  Nosy enough to wonder why you need to be on your best form today (yesterday :laugh:) Your original picture didn't show up on the resend.  The Chrome on my new laptop is obviously a bit below par compared to yours.   When I get into work tomorrow :( I will see if it shows there & let you know one way or another.

My sheep was of course a male :laugh:  You solved Zoe's puzzle perfectly :)

I'm still struggling with a bit of a headache.  Wonder if it's the rather warm weather we have at the moment.  I've drunk gallons of water so I'm not dehydrated!

I'll leave you with a simple little puzzle. Following on a theme.  I'm very glad that neither of my neighbours could be described as this :)  7# 8#

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: June 01, 2020, 02:38:24 AM »
Hi Pen

Food seems to have been a popular topic lately so I thought I would tell you some of the goodies I shared  yesterday as part of the celebration.

Breakfast
  • Banana, Blueberry and Yoghurt
  • Omelette
Morning Tea
  • Almond Shortbread biscuits from Carwright & Butler, Beverley in Yorkshire.
  • Coffee and Pecan Sponge cake from the Cheesecake shop in Belconnen.
Lunch
  • Breville Sandwiches – The filling was leftovers from last night’s Spaghetti Bolagnaise
Afternoon Tea
  • The usual and fish cakes
Dinner
  • A roast pork dinner with all the trimmings.

The triptych by McCubbin and the Tom Roberts Painting

I am too sleepy to think of a puzzle this morning.  I’ll try to make up for it next post.

I can’t solve yours for the same reason. Curtain watching doesn’t mean anything to me so I will have another look after breakfast. .
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: June 01, 2020, 04:27:13 AM »
Am rather jealous Jack.  All that food sounds very yummy :-H  Am I allowed to be nosy & ask what you were celebrating yesterday?
Thanks for the paintings :)
Still got a headache :(  It can go now as I'm fed up with it!

I'll post from the coalface tomorrow.  We are heading back towards more normal appointments this week so I'm expecting things to be much busier than of late.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: June 01, 2020, 02:53:26 PM »
Am I allowed to be nosy & ask what you were celebrating yesterday?
Still got a headache :(  It can go now as I'm fed up with it!

Heavens, Pen, when have you not been allowed to be curious?  We were celebrating June's Birthday.  Today, we had got within 10 minutes of home when we got a text saying they wanted to show the house to a client tomorrow.   If they had sent it 2 hours earlier we would have stayed in Canberra.

These headaches are a curse.  Are they migraines?  Have you seen a doctor about them.  I am lucky, I only get a headache when I have a hangover and I haven’t had one of those for years. ;)

I just remembered what some despised bird watchers are called in Britain, so I think I know the answer to your puzzle.   I looked it up when combined with curtain and sure enough it was acknowledged in the dictionary as common British slang.  It gave me a little spasm.   ;D  Here we call bird watchers pervs. >:D

Continuing the theme of Australian well known paintings:

#5-#5  8#5&3

Bonus Questions:

Who was the artist?
Who is the man in the solid black armour?

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: June 01, 2020, 08:46:42 PM »
Hi Jack

Back at work & feeling a bit fed up & grumpy :(   Pleased you celebrated June's birthday in style :)  Do hope the house viewing went well.

My headaches are not migraines thankfully.  I do very occasionally get a migrainey type headache with blurry zig zags usually when staring at the screen.  Luckily they usually disappear within 15 minutes.  I think (hope) my current headache is due to the weather.  I'm probably still a bit anxious about the Covid/work situation & that's probably not helping.

I'm in Chrome at work & have double checked on your previous image as you asked.  Definitely not showing in the original post or the resend.  Spooky!

I enjoyed your puzzle :)  Got the first part quite quickly & took a while to solve the rest!  I think the man in the solid black armour is Ned Kelly & the artist is Sidney Nolan.  I read a few articles about him & it sounds like he had a very colourful life.  He deserted from the army during the war & ended up living in London & being knighted.  One critic wrote:-
I have known artists whose work was uneven … but I have seldom known one whose output had such highs and lows as Nolan’s, such extremes of crap and lyrical near-genius.

My puzzle is  painting by a British artist.  1# 7# 5#
A
For your bonus please give the full name of the artist.

We haven't mentioned bangers for a few days so I thought I'd put that right :laugh:

Nearly lunchtime.  Ham & bashed up egg & salad cream for me :-H
Don't know if you'll see this Linda but I hope your first day back is going ok :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: June 01, 2020, 09:10:20 PM »
I'm in Chrome at work & have double checked on your previous image as you asked.  Definitely not showing in the original post or the resend.  Spooky!

My puzzle is  painting by a British artist.  1# 7# 5#

Hi Pen,

If it's not a chrome thing it might be a regional thing.  But have no feedback from others who attempted the puzzle so will have to let it go.

I could solve your puzzle if it was painted in Britain by an Australian artist with initials B.W.

Must hit the sack.
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: June 01, 2020, 10:07:07 PM »
migrainey type headache with blurry zig zags

Pen, yet again, we are so similar!  I get the blurry zig zags (star shapes really) but not usually accompanied by a headache.  I get mine from bright lights or sunshine and they usually last about 20 minutes - I can see them going from one side of my eye to the other and then disappear!! Optician said it was a form of migraine but luckily I rarely get headaches with or without them!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: June 01, 2020, 10:52:01 PM »
Oh Linda we're scarily alike :laugh:  Does work feel like you've never been away? :-\  Have you been to the bread shop or butchers in search of sausage rolls, pies or cakes yet? >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: June 01, 2020, 11:10:40 PM »
I could solve your puzzle if it was painted in Britain by an Australian artist with initials B.W.

Sorry no cigar :laugh:  This artist is British from the North West of England.  An extra clue could be provided by my second picture ;)

I'll leave you with a couple of silly jokes & cartoons ;D

Two fishermen were out in their boat one day when a hand appeared out of the water.
"What's that?" asked the first fisherman. "It looks like someone's drowning."
"Nonsense," said the second. "It was just a little wave."

How do you get down from an elephant?
You don't: you get down from a duck!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: June 02, 2020, 12:29:14 AM »
Sorry no cigar :laugh:  This artist is British from the North West of England. 

In that case, Laurence Stephen Lowry RBA RA (/ˈlaʊri/ LAO-ree; 1 November 1887 – 23 February 1976) was an English artist. Many of his drawings and paintings depict Pendlebury, Lancashire, where he lived and worked for more than 40 years, Salford and its vicinity.

On a second look my first guess was The Cricket Match by Brett Whitely 1939 - 1992, from Longueville, NSW . The cricket match, painted in England, effects a successful union between the explosive energy of the game and the play of semi-abstract forms. Brett Whiteley brings out the artistry in the game, in one of his most playful works.

Regards, Jack