Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 820358 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #4080 on: May 26, 2020, 09:40:18 PM »
Tuna savoury for me today, Pen!  Been lazy though and bought it in a tub.  Will have to pick out a few of the red peppers now! 

Against my own advice, I cast my clout yesterday!  Thank goodness I did as it is warming up quite a bit here!  >:D

Sounds very delish Linda.  I must get some tuna as I do love it.  Greggs do a tuna crunch baguette which I'm very partial to :)  I don't mind red peppers.  It's the green ones I'm not so keen on - they always seem a bit bitter.

I'm sure you wont have a problem with casting your clout :laugh:   Very hot & rather humid here today phew!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: May 26, 2020, 10:23:32 PM »
You a Smart Alec Jack? >:D  Perish the thought :laugh:
I could only find one cartoon with smart alec in it & the alec is spelt wrong but beggars can't be choosers!

Joking apart that's brilliantly answered.  Good choice of cartoons & you're right there is some morbid humour in that picture!

I'd completely forgotten about that Clint Eastwood film.  It's been yonks since I've seen it but I did love it.  I think this might be the lady who played the lead role in your film

& I believe she had a similar occupation in this film as the "nun" in the Clint Eastwood film.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: May 27, 2020, 02:59:23 PM »
Hi Pen,

Looks like I didn’t come up with anything tricky enough.  You blitzed the puzzle again.

This puzzle is the title of an 1818 landscape painting by an artist considered by some to be the most important German Romantic artist.

8#4&2&2  5  3  #3  2  #3

o    o     o     o      o      o        o       o        o      o     

The of

The Bonus Point:  Who was the artist?

Big day tomorrow, so I will leave it at that on the premise that

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 03:16:58 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: May 27, 2020, 07:23:40 PM »
Hi Jack

You've certainly come up with a very tricky puzzle today.  I'm very flummoxed :laugh:  I shall return to it a little bit later on.  If I manage to stay awake this afternoon on fracture clinic I will come back to it then.  The powers that be have decided that we can't have any fans or aircon so it's like working in a greenhouse :(

Loved the cartoons - especially the toupee one :laugh:

I'll leave you with a small random selection & say that you're nothing like a cloud!
A bit of a tease maybe :laugh:  I shall be wondering what you're up to tomorrow

I'll be back to have another puzzle at your puzzle :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: May 27, 2020, 09:05:17 PM »
Nearly lunchtime :-H  Cheese & tomato sarnie Linda.  With a smidgen of Heinz salad cream :-H

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: May 27, 2020, 09:14:46 PM »
I was so hungry I've already eaten mine, Pen.  Egg, tomato and salad cream!  Absolutely delicious!

Start back to work for 3 days next week.  Will be entirely on my own so can eat my lunch at 10 if I want to (and I probably will)!! >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: May 27, 2020, 10:14:38 PM »
That's going to be a bit strange after all this time Linda.  I have visions of you scoffing your lovely sarnie at 10 & then being ravenous by lunchtime.  You'll have to send out for supplies :laugh:

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: May 27, 2020, 10:17:59 PM »
Presactly!  The trouble is there is a butchers and a bread shop nearby both selling lovely pies, sausage rolls, cakes and filled sarnies so the temptation might be too much to bear come mid morning!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: May 27, 2020, 11:38:23 PM »
I'm back Jack!  It's roasting hot here so I might be snoring in about an hour :-Y

I've had another look at your puzzle & think I've got it! I thought to start with I was wandering lonely as a cloud amongst the daffodils :laugh:
The artist is Casper David Friedrich.  A great puzzle :)  My little grey cell needs a rest now!

My puzzle is very easy by comparison.  It's also a work of art.  I saw it in the Wallace collection & was astonished that it's quite small!
3# 8# 8#
The
For your bonus please say what is the style of the painting & who dunnit? :laugh:

I'll leave you with a couple of naff jokes!

This chap goes skydiving for the first time. After he jumps out of the plane, he counts to ten, pulls the ripcoard, and nothing happens. Only a little worried, he pulls the cord for the auxilliary parachute, but unfortunately, the chute still does not appear. As he is plummeting toward the Earth, he sees a woman coming up the other way. He shouts to her "Do you know anything about parachutes?" "No", she says, "do you know anything about gas cookers?"

What do you get if you cross a sheepdog and a bunch of daisies?
You get collie-flowers.

I expect you & the chooks are tucked up for the night by now :-Z

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: May 27, 2020, 11:41:57 PM »
Presactly!  The trouble is there is a butchers and a bread shop nearby both selling lovely pies, sausage rolls, cakes and filled sarnies so the temptation might be too much to bear come mid morning!!  >:D

Lucky you :)  Sounds like the perfect solution to the mid-morning snack problem & plenty of choice :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: May 28, 2020, 12:08:39 AM »
Hi Pen,

My Puzzle:  Brilliantly done and spot on.

Your puzzle:  It wasn't the crying Oliver Cromwell Was it?  If it was, it could have described as "one of the most brilliant of all Baroque portraits". I think it was done by Frank Hall, one of Blue's mates.

Must get back to bed or I'll never be able to cope with the big day I've got today. :D
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: May 28, 2020, 12:54:13 AM »
Oh Jack you are brilliant! Your answer made me laugh out loud & woke me up :laugh:  Can't wait to go home in about 40 minutes.

Stop teasing me :laugh:  Look forward to hearing about your big day later on :)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: May 28, 2020, 01:08:32 AM »
I saw it in the Wallace collection & was astonished that it's quite small!

Me too, Pen.  Not as astonished as I was when I saw how titchy the Mona Lisa is!!  Fought my way through hordes of Japanese tourists taking selfies to get up close!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: May 28, 2020, 04:39:53 AM »
Me too, Pen.  Not as astonished as I was when I saw how titchy the Mona Lisa is!!  Fought my way through hordes of Japanese tourists taking selfies to get up close!  >:D

I had heard it's pretty diddy Linda!  At the opposite end of the scale I was staggered at how big The Haywain is!  Ginormous :o
I had a similar problem with the Japanese tourists at Versailles last year.  They're a pain in the proverbial - especially when they have their wretched selfie sticks >:D

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: May 28, 2020, 09:48:35 AM »
I had the same reaction the first time I saw the 'Mona Lisa'.
'Is that it? But it's so small!'
I seem to remember that The Louvre had a 'No Photographs' policy when I was there. Obviously that must have changed.

Never seen 'The Hay Wain' 'live' as it were - the nearest I've come was a 2000 piece jigsaw I used to have. Wonderful picture, though.

But for sheer size - Rembrandt's 'Night Watch' takes some beating.
'