Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814059 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3990 on: May 14, 2020, 10:28:40 PM »
Oh Jack will you please stop tormenting me with sausages :laugh:  They are, as you must know, one of my most favourite foods :-H  I might have to have the guinness & leek ones tomorrow night :-H
I very much enjoyed your Blue jokes :laugh:  Very appropriate as I had cheese & coleslaw sarnies again for lunch!

Does your gaffe now look like something out of House & Garden Magazine? >:D

or perhaps I should have picked the Aussie version? :laugh:

Do you have to keep it all nice & neat & tidy until it's sold?  do all the potential buyers come & view on one day or are they scattered about?

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: May 15, 2020, 12:37:17 AM »
I had cheese & coleslaw sarnies again for lunch!

I had Yorkshire ham, English mustard and tomato today, Pen.  Very naughtily, I had it on thick, white bread spread with Clover - yum!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: May 15, 2020, 04:20:34 AM »
That sounds totally delish Linda.  I think I might have that tomorrow.  I don't have any white bread & my ham is Wiltshire not Yorkshire but other than that perfect :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: May 15, 2020, 04:36:31 PM »
Oh Jack will you please stop tormenting me with sausages :laugh:  They are, as you must know, one of my most favourite foods :-H

Hi Pen,

I would if circumstances didn’t keep bringing the subject up.  

We made a late decision this morning to leave the stylers to it and to visit Andrew until after the photo shoot.  The thought of pussyfooting around the house to avoid upsetting the carefully staged setting was too much.  We arrived at Andrew's place at lunchtime and you'll never guess what he had cooked for us.  My favourite was the pork & cider but the bacon & cheese and the pork & oregano were also delicious.  

I'll answer your question about whether the house looks like something out of House and Garden after we get home on Wednesday.  All I know is that I won't be taking up their offer to buy the hired furniture.  My taste is comfortable and lived in.

Before the dreaded COVID-19, the fashion  for viewing real estate, unless it was sale-by-auction, was to hold open house on weekends and hope lots of people turned up.  Current conditions are inspection by appointment but we hope things will return to normal sooner than later.  One worry is that a Commonwealth Bank economist issued a prediction that house prices could fall by up to 30% over the next year.

This is why I prefer dogs to cats.

Cast your mind back to 1605 for this bit of English History.

3 9#3&6 #4

The    

Bonus question:  Who was the guy that had this mad idea?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 04:46:59 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: May 15, 2020, 07:37:19 PM »
Before we came to live in Cumbria my job was as a sales lady on new build housing sites so I was used to the slightly OTT styling of show homes.In the UK however it is not usual to "style" a "used" house when it goes up for sale. When we were looking at our current Cumbrian house as soon as we walked in the door it was like looking at one of the site show homes and it turned out that the owner was an interior designer. I think the Estate Agent was a bit disappointed when we declined the opportunity to buy the contents too but mirror finish furniture and ginormous wall clocks etc are not our thing! I agree with Jack that comfy and homely are the way to go.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: May 16, 2020, 12:29:48 AM »
Sounds terrible Christine!!  I'm with you & Jack - comfy & lived in is best :)  What's the point if you can't relax & feel at home in your own home!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: May 16, 2020, 01:27:05 AM »
Hi Jack

You can't torment me with bangers today as I'm having guinness & leek tonight :-H  Yummy!  Probably a sensible decision to decamp to Andrew's for a few days.  Also it means you get to spend some time with him which is win/win :)

I think this gentleman might be the one with the mad idea :laugh:

I've moved on 61 years for my puzzle though I'm in the same location.

#3 #5 #4 #2 #6  Surname of gent in the last picture.
Theof
Where did it start & what was believed to have been the cause?

Time to put the kettle on :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: May 16, 2020, 04:49:59 PM »
Hi Pen,

OK, I'll stop being a silly sausage.

Yes, Guy was the guy.

It appears there are more puddings than those they have in Yorkshire.  They even have Lanes.  My theory is that a bloke called Farriner was baking bread to make sausage sandwiches, even though this was a long time before John Montagu was born, and a spark from the oven fell onto a pile of fuel at around 1am.  Now his business is toast.

Blue told me there was a bloke called Samuel, nicknamed “Peeps”, who wrote a lot about the incident in his diary.  Afterwards I wondered how he got his nickname.  Maybe from looking at naked women when he was not supposed to - like Tom of Lady Godiva fame.  Do you know, Pen?

I don’t know if I have met a man more laconic than Blue.

One time he went to the races and bet $2 on a long shot and won $18.  So he put that $18 in the 2nd race and won $128. Again he put it all on a long shot in the 3rd race and won $770!  He keep doing this for each race, and finally on the last race he put his entire winnings so far - $1,941,550!

The crowds are all around him watching this race, because at 8:1 odds he can win $15,532,402! They're off! Everybody is cheering an urging on the horse, who seems to slide back a bit, and comes in last! Everybody is so disappointed - a truly exciting day.

When Blue came home, I asked him how'd he gone. He answered: "I lost $2."

Today we have two movies made in 2011 and 2006.

The First

3 #4 6#3&3 #5

The      

The second

#5 2 1 #7

A

Hint the last picture needs a “c” added as the second letter.

Bonus Question:  What links the two movies.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: May 17, 2020, 02:34:41 AM »
A really great post Jack if I may say so :)  Very funny & clever with it.

I solved your puzzles after a fair bit of head scratching!  I've seen the first of the films & was a little disappointed with it.  I didn't bother with the sequel.  I've not watched the second.  Wonder if that might be something to look out for this evening to accompany my pink muck?  It gets very good reviews.  Almost five stars on Rotten Tomatoes!
They have this lady in common :)

My puzzle is a novel & a brilliant TV series made in the 1980s. #11 (4/2/5) #4
I suspect you'll find this a bit easy peasey! I've tried to make it a little tricky with the last picture ;D

For your bonus please say who wrote the novel & also what is the connection with

Just off to "ping" my dinner >:D

« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 02:39:46 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: May 17, 2020, 05:03:06 PM »
Hi Pen,

I thought your post was excellent, too.  Both the puzzle and the cartoons.

Full marks on my puzzle.  She is one of my favorite actors.

You know I don't really believe it is Pink Muck, it is just not to my taste.  You might judge my taste by the fact that I love vegemite but I concede there may be one or two people in the world who don't. ;)

I learned a lot from your puzzle.  I am not aware that the 4-part series was ever shown in Australia. Perhaps some other forumites could let us know if they have seen it here.  You were tricky using an Oxford example in your last picture for a puzzle with a Cambridge solution.  I hope you didn't think of the puzzle to distract me from thinking of sausages by presenting me with rare steak - I prefer mine medium-rare.

The answers to your bonus questions are

It being Sunday, Blue decided to amuse me with Biblical riddles.

• Who was the greatest financier in the Bible? Noah. He was floating his stock while everyone else was in liquidation.
  • What kind of motor vehicles are in the Bible? Jehovah drove Adam and Eve out of the Garden in a Fury. And David's Triumph was heard throughout the land.
  • Who was the greatest comedian in the Bible? Samson. He brought the house down.
  • What excuse did Adam give to his children as to why he no longer lived in Eden? Your mother ate us out of house and home.
  • Who is the greatest baby-sitter mentioned in the Bible? David. He rocked Goliath to a very deep sleep.
  • Which Bible character had no parents? Joshua, son of Nun.
  • Who was the youngest person ever to speak? Job. He cursed the day he was born.

The puzzle today is in two parts.  The first is the title of an episode.
#3  #5  #3 #8

The second is the title of the long-running (15) series the episode is in.

1  #5  2  #5

A of

The Connection with your puzzle will be obvious.  The first bonus question is who wrote the novel the series is based on?  The second is who did the screenplay for the episode?

The last picture was posted on Facebook by my golfing mate.  He took it on his morning walk around Bowral two days ago.  I can't wait to get to Queensland
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 08:50:33 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: May 17, 2020, 06:06:25 PM »
Hi Jack

I don't think Pens puzzle was shown here

Was so intrigued looked it up on Google

Then went on SA Library site and saw that I could borrow the DVD so I did.

It is the only one in the State

Carol

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: May 18, 2020, 01:35:12 AM »
Hi Carol
Hope you enjoy it.  I haven't watched it for many years but I really enjoyed it.
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: May 18, 2020, 02:49:33 AM »
Hi Jack

Another great post - loved your jokes & answers to my puzzle :)  Is the air a bit different in Canberra? :laugh:
Your mate's picture of Bowral looks very chilly brrr!  No wonder you're looking forward to your move!

My mother used to say it would be a very boring world if we all liked the same things.  I know you're joking about my pink muck.  I do like other varieties too it's just that I've got a thing for a particular pink pinot noir at the moment.  I totally get vegemite as I love marmite :-H

The answer to your puzzle was another great series.  The link to my puzzle is

Another very enjoyable series

I'm sticking with the same author as yesterday for my puzzle today.
#5 #2 #3 #9 (4/5)  Please drop the first letter of last picture!
on/the

For your bonus please say what is the connection to
&

Sorry my post is a little short & disjointed as I've been caught a couple of times on the 'phone & my jacket spud is looking as if it's just about cooked :-H

Must dash before I have burnt offerings :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: May 18, 2020, 07:13:13 AM »
Hi Carol,

The series does look intriguing.   I'll be interested to learn if you think it stands the test of time after you've watched it.

I also went to google.  I can get the book from Amazon.  I bombed out on the TV series in Netflix, SBS on demand, and iTunes.  On eBay, the only Australian copy was in VHS format and I threw out my VHS player years ago.  There are a number of DVDs available from the UK but they are either region 2 or unspecified which my DVD player can't handle.  I haven't used it for over a year as I have a backlog of stuff I want to watch which is downloadable from the net.  In fact, in the decluttering process, I gave all my DVDs to charity.

P.S.  I had a late thought and went to YouTube.  All 4 episodes are there in full.  I don't know what the quality will be.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:25:31 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: May 18, 2020, 09:38:38 AM »
Alternatively, Jack, if you number among your acquaintances anyone who indulges in a little P2P downloading, you may find that the four episodes of the first serial and all six episodes of the BBC version of the second book are available on a certain website which, over the years has attained a certain notoriety.
Not that I would suggest you do anything illegal of course...…….